2019 - 20 Rankings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

Harvard seems to be doing well in these rankings...

https://www.thefire.org/10-worst-col...e-speech-2020/
    At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
      Harvard seems to be doing well in these rankings...

https://www.thefire.org/10-worst-col...e-speech-2020/
      Yeah, and it's nice to see other ECAC representation. I'm sure RPI will be thrilled with this #1.

Comment

Who ever the crackhead is who gave MN a 1 spot after UW swept them should give up their right to be in the poll. Let's just use some logic here please. That kind of goofiness really illegitimizes that poll.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          Who ever the crackhead is who gave MN a 1 spot after UW swept them should give up their right to be in the poll. Let's just use some logic here please. That kind of goofiness really illegitimizes that poll.
          It was not me.
          It's a great day for hockey!

Comment

Originally posted by NMH View Post
            It was not me.
            That's pretty much an admittance of guilt, you know. The deniers are usually the guilty ones (Braun, Amrstrong Clemmens to name a few).
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

So UMD gets blown out by MN and BSU gets blown out by OSU (though same 5-goal differential) but BSU drops 1 or 2 spots in the Pairwise while UMD stays at #9. And #10 won their last game while #11 tied theirs. How does UMD hold that #9 spot??

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                So UMD gets blown out by MN and BSU gets blown out by OSU (though same 5-goal differential) but BSU drops 1 or 2 spots in the Pairwise while UMD stays at #9. And #10 won their last game while #11 tied theirs. How does UMD hold that #9 spot??
                1) A loss to Minnesota's .800 winning percentage doesn't hurt as much as a loss to OSU's .700 winning percentage;
                2) UMD had a substantial RPI edge on #10 Harvard going into the weekend, while BSU is in the middle of a large pack of teams that have almost identical RPIs.

RPI (and about 98% of the Pairwise is just RPI) is a dumb, but pretty simple, mathematical formula. The explanation for why something happens in it is always a pretty simple mathematical answer.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
                  1) A loss to Minnesota's .800 winning percentage doesn't hurt as much as a loss to OSU's .700 winning percentage;
                  2) UMD had a substantial RPI edge on #10 Harvard going into the weekend, while BSU is in the middle of a large pack of teams that have almost identical RPIs.

RPI (and about 98% of the Pairwise is just RPI) is a dumb, but pretty simple, mathematical formula. The explanation for why something happens in it is always a pretty simple mathematical answer.
                  Not sure if your last sentence was taking a shot at me or not but I do appreciate the explanation!

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                    Not sure if your last sentence was taking a shot at me or not but I do appreciate the explanation!
                    I don't think it was a shot -- he's just saying it's all objective (it's all just math) and there's no subjectivity in the Pairwise
                    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post

RPI (and about 98% of the Pairwise is just RPI) ...
                      Right now - and every time I've looked this year - RPI is 100% of the Pairwise; no deviation at all. Your RPI rank is your Pairwise rank.

(The only teams for which it can possibly be otherwise are pairs that have a head-to-head component.)

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
                        Right now - and every time I've looked this year - RPI is 100% of the Pairwise; no deviation at all. Your RPI rank is your Pairwise rank.

(The only teams for which it can possibly be otherwise are pairs that have a head-to-head component.)
                        There's also the NCAA's caveat that they might, maybe, could decide that a large advantage in one criterion would outweigh a small advantage in another, even if the the pairing would otherwise go the other way. I don't know if that will ever matter, and it wouldn't show up in the USCHO numbers even if it did. And there are the weird excuses the NCAA has trotted out to justify sending a team to one quarterfinal site rather than another, instead of just admitting that the decision is due to a Green Line ticket being cheaper than bus fare.

So the other 2% is a hedge against the committee opting to ignore their own numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by robertearle View Post

Allow me to amend that a bit: "The only teams for which it can possibly be otherwise are pairs that have a head-to-head component, AND that head-to-head was something other than an even split.

I was looking at the teams at 7,8,and 9 in the Pairwise, and Clarkson vs Duluth do indeed have a head-to-head component. But it was a two-game weekend split; meaning for Pairwise purposes, it may as well not even exist. Their pair boils down to 'better RPI', even though they did play one another. Likewise - so far, anyway - Minnesota vs Ohio State; four games played and split means their pair boils down to better RPI (again, at least so far).

Comment

There are a couple comparisons that don't directly follow RPI. Union v. Lindenwood is one that's flipped because of a H2H:

https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...or-frozen-four

Input Union and Lindenwood at the top and you'll see Lindenwood with a 1-0-1 H2H and the CoOpp point as well despite Union being ahead in RPI.

Also if you click the "Grid" tab at the bottom it'll show you a couple outliers.

Comment

I can only imagine all that hinges on how the Union vs Lindenwood comparison might shake out.
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                I can only imagine all that hinges on how the Union vs Lindenwood comparison might shake out.
                                Hey that could have big NIT implications!

Comment

Working...
                                X