Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 120

Thread: 2019 - 20 Rankings

  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    The rankings are fun this week.

    I think I can guess that Wisconsin has all first and second votes; 8 firsts and 7 seconds gets the right point total.

    And 6 firsts, 6 seconds and 3 thirds gets the right point total for Minnesota. But after that...

    One first, 3 thirds and 11 fourths gets the right total for Cornell. And Ohio State must have at least one third place vote, or two fourth place (and likely more), but five minutes of guessing gets me no further than that.

    Also, I was looking at RPI and Pairwise a bit last night. If we get a Wisconsin-Minnesota split this weekend, Cornell could be #1 in the Pairwise a week from now.

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,509

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Nice job, robertearle, on getting the math of the top of this week's vote totals spot on.

    USCHO Division I Women's Poll - January 20, 2020
    Rnk Team (Last Poll)
    1 Wisconsin (2)
    2 Minnesota (1)
    3 Northeastern (3)
    4 Cornell (4)
    5 Ohio State (5)
    6 Princeton (6)
    7 Clarkson (7)
    7 Boston University (8)
    9 Minnesota Duluth (10)
    10 Harvard (9)

    Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac 7, Boston College 2, Colgate 1, Bemidji State 1

    As one would expect Wisconsin, who was idle this past week, takes the No. 1 ranking from Minnesota, which falls to No. 2 after splitting with Ohio State. No changes from Nos. 3 to 6, but Boston University moves into a tie with Clarkson at No. 7. And after sweeping a tough series with Bemidji State Minnesota Duluth finally escapes the No. 10 spot, taking No. 9 away from Harvard which falls to No. 10.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  3. #63
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    96

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    No changes from Nos. 3 to 6, but Boston University moves into a tie with Clarkson at No. 7. And after sweeping a tough series with Bemidji State Minnesota Duluth finally escapes the No. 10 spot, taking No. 9 away from Harvard which falls to No. 10.
    Was disappointed the Beavers didn't get it done when they had a chance to likely earn a Top 10 spot if they had swept UMD. Now the focus has to be on earning home ice in the first round of the WCHA playoffs.

    And what does OSU have to do to move into the top 4? I get MN dropping but how does OSU not move up after upsetting MN?

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,509

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    And what does OSU have to do to move into the top 4? I get MN dropping but how does OSU not move up after upsetting MN?
    Must be because Northeastern and Cornell keep winning?
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,400

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Offsides Guy View Post

    And what does OSU have to do to move into the top 4? I get MN dropping but how does OSU not move up after upsetting MN?
    the bigger mystery to me is how does Cornell end up #4?
    IMO, they should be #3 minimum, and a strong argument could made made for #1

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    96

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by pokechecker View Post
    the bigger mystery to me is how does Cornell end up #4?
    IMO, they should be #3 minimum, and a strong argument could made made for #1
    Question: do you feel number of games is a factor? Cornell has played 5 less games than OSU and will have played 5 less at the end of the season. Shouldn't more games be a plus in a team's favor? For OSU that's 5 more games in which they have to fend off an upset or play a higher ranked team. I honestly have no idea but my gut tells me more games is tougher and should boost a team's ranking.

  7. #67
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,983

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Offsides Guy View Post
    Cornell has played 5 less games than OSU and will have played 5 less at the end of the season. Shouldn't more games be a plus in a team's favor? For OSU that's 5 more games in which they have to fend off an upset or play a higher ranked team.
    The comparison in question, I believe, is Cornell versus #3 Northeastern. For example, Cornell is currently #3 in KRACH. Wisconsin is #1 with roughly a 300-point gap back to Minnesota and a similar margin between Minnesota and Cornell. OSU is #4 in KRACH, with the Big Red holding a lead of nearly 800 points, and Northeastern another 350 points back.

    At least as far as KRACH is concerned, Cornell belongs more in a conversation about Wisconsin and Minnesota than it does in a comparison with Ohio State and Northeastern.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  8. #68
    #SOAR TonyTheTiger20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Madison, CT
    Posts
    10,885
    Quote Originally Posted by ARM View Post
    The comparison in question, I believe, is Cornell versus #3 Northeastern. For example, Cornell is currently #3 in KRACH. Wisconsin is #1 with roughly a 300-point gap back to Minnesota and a similar margin between Minnesota and Cornell. OSU is #4 in KRACH, with the Big Red holding a lead of nearly 800 points, and Northeastern another 350 points back.

    At least as far as KRACH is concerned, Cornell belongs more in a conversation about Wisconsin and Minnesota than it does in a comparison with Ohio State and Northeastern.
    As KRACH ratings are not linear you actually want to use RRWP when comparing gaps -- which even further supports your argument.

  9. #69
    Fan of chipmunk-like mascots. ARM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    The Gopher State
    Posts
    21,983

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    The current WCHODR is interesting, with Cornell and Northeastern #1 and #2, respectively, but then followed by four WCHA teams.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,405

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    What has turned into my Monday morning 'crossword puzzle', today's poll is as interesting as has been lately:

    One voter still thinks Minnesota should be #1, but only two additional voters even have them at #2; and one voter apparently thinks Ohio State should be higher than Cornell.

    As best I can work out:
    Wisconsin - 13 at #1, and 2 at #2
    Minnesota - 1 at #1, 2 at #2, and 12 at #3
    Northeastern - 0 at #1, 7 at #2, 2 at #3, and 6 at #4
    Cornell - 1 at #1, 4 at #2, 1 at #3, 8 at #4, 1 at #5

    Wisconsin - (13 x 10) + (2 x 9) = 148
    Minnesota - (1 x 10) + (2 x 9) + (12 x 8) = 124
    Northeastern - (7 x 9) + (2 x 8) + (6 x 7) = 121
    Cornell - (1 x 10) + (4 x 9) + (1 x 8) + (8 x 7) + (1 x 6) = 116

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    8,509

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    USCHO Division I Women's Poll - January 27, 2020
    Rnk Team (Last Poll)
    1 Wisconsin (1)
    2 Minnesota (2)
    3 Northeastern (3)
    4 Cornell (4)
    5 Ohio State (5)
    6 Princeton (6)
    7 Clarkson (7)
    8 Boston University (7)
    9 Minnesota Duluth (9)
    10 Harvard (10)

    Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac 3, Robert Morris 3, Bemidji State 2, Providence 2

    Very little change from last week, and in fact no change at all in the Top 6. And, except for Boston University going from a tie for 7th to "all alone" at No. 8, the ranking order for the Top 10 is unchanged.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Sunny SoCal - Home of the Cup
    Posts
    310

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    USCHO Division I Women's Poll - January 27, 2020
    Rnk Team (Last Poll)
    1 Wisconsin (1)
    2 Minnesota (2)
    3 Northeastern (3)
    4 Cornell (4)
    5 Ohio State (5)
    6 Princeton (6)
    7 Clarkson (7)
    8 Boston University (7)
    9 Minnesota Duluth (9)
    10 Harvard (10)

    Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac 3, Robert Morris 3, Bemidji State 2, Providence 2

    Very little change from last week, and in fact no change at all in the Top 6. And, except for Boston University going from a tie for 7th to "all alone" at No. 8, the ranking order for the Top 10 is unchanged.
    Not understanding why Harvard remains in the top 10 as opposed to some other teams. They have been getting their clocks cleaned for the last 3 weeks by the stronger ECAC teams.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    96

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    USCHO Division I Women's Poll - January 27, 2020
    Rnk Team (Last Poll)
    1 Wisconsin (1)
    2 Minnesota (2)
    3 Northeastern (3)
    4 Cornell (4)
    5 Ohio State (5)
    6 Princeton (6)
    7 Clarkson (7)
    8 Boston University (7)
    9 Minnesota Duluth (9)
    10 Harvard (10)

    Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac 3, Robert Morris 3, Bemidji State 2, Providence 2
    The Beavers continue to not take advantage of chances to rise in the rankings. Sweeping Mankato may not have vaulted them ahead of Harvard but tying the first game gave them no chance. Minnesota comes to town next weekend - possibly with some vulnerability - giving Bemidji yet another chance to move up if they can play two perfect games.

    CORRECTION: Itís OSU this weekend and MN the week following. Make that 4 perfect games needed!
    Last edited by Offsides Guy; 01-27-2020 at 07:50 PM.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightnut View Post
    Not understanding why Harvard remains in the top 10 as opposed to some other teams. They have been getting their clocks cleaned for the last 3 weeks by the stronger ECAC teams.
    Yup.
    WAY overrated!!!

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    409

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Rightnut View Post
    Not understanding why Harvard remains in the top 10 as opposed to some other teams. They have been getting their clocks cleaned for the last 3 weeks by the stronger ECAC teams.
    Every top ten has to have a #10, barring the door to everyone else outside, the really not-so-hot teams. Somebody has to do it, and the polls are unanimous in wanting Harvard to serve its time and perform a duty it’s shirked recently. D2D referenced UMD “escaping” the spot a few weeks ago. No one really covets it.
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 01-30-2020 at 09:48 AM.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Rosemount, MN
    Posts
    3,083

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Harvard seems to be doing well in these rankings...

    https://www.thefire.org/10-worst-col...e-speech-2020/

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    409

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
    Harvard seems to be doing well in these rankings...

    https://www.thefire.org/10-worst-col...e-speech-2020/
    Yeah, and it's nice to see other ECAC representation. I'm sure RPI will be thrilled with this #1.

  18. #78
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,456

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Who ever the crackhead is who gave MN a 1 spot after UW swept them should give up their right to be in the poll. Let's just use some logic here please. That kind of goofiness really illegitimizes that poll.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    377

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Who ever the crackhead is who gave MN a 1 spot after UW swept them should give up their right to be in the poll. Let's just use some logic here please. That kind of goofiness really illegitimizes that poll.
    It was not me.
    It's a great day for hockey!

  20. #80
    Let's go RED!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Juneau WI
    Posts
    11,456

    Re: 2019 - 20 Rankings

    Quote Originally Posted by NMH View Post
    It was not me.
    That's pretty much an admittance of guilt, you know. The deniers are usually the guilty ones (Braun, Amrstrong Clemmens to name a few).
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •