Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    ?? Utica is considering bringing its entire athletic department up to D2? That’s the only way they could play D1 hockey now....
    Sounds fishy to me, too...

As in: totally spurious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Sounds fishy to me, too...

As in: totally spurious.
      Its not spurious its been a rumor for the past 3-4 years

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
        Well, it's one I've never heard, and I have my ear to the ground there. I never seem to miss a plausible rumor.

I may well be mistaken, but I think that the door has closed on the concept of a school being D-1 in just hockey. SLU, Clarkson, Union, RPI, Union, etc. were grand-fathered, and RIT got in just under the wire.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but I'm not confident that it would work in any case. UC already (technically) fills the building, and going D-1 would require a total re-build of the roster, even if Utica joined the relatively weak AHA. I suppose that the ticket prices would increase, but I'm not sure that that would translate into more revenue. I'd watch them take their lumps, but would the community as a whole have the patience to endure 5 losing years, at best?

(This current team - as good as it looks in the D-3 environment - would be absolutely hammered in D-1.)
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-06-2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
          Fake news?
          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Well, it's one I've never heard, and I have my ear to the ground there. I never seem to miss a plausible rumor.

I may well be mistaken, but I think that the door has closed on the concept of a school being D-1 in just hockey. SLU, Clarkson, Union, RPI, Union, etc. were grand-fathered, and RIT got in just under the wire.

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea, but I'm not confident that it would work in any case. UC already (technically) fills the building, and going D-1 would require a total re-build of the roster, even if Utica joined the relatively weak AHA. I suppose that the ticket prices would increase, but I'm not sure that that would translate into more revenue. I'd watch them take their lumps, but would the community as a whole have the patience to endure 5 losing years, at best?

(This current team - as good as it looks in the D-3 environment - would be absolutely hammered in D-1.)
            Ear must not be close enough. They would get hammered the first couple years. But the Aud dwarfs any recruiting tool any team in the atlantic conf has to offer. Wouldnt take them long to be competitve

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
              Ear must not be close enough. They would get hammered the first couple years. But the Aud dwarfs any recruiting tool any team in the atlantic conf has to offer. Wouldnt take them long to be competitve
              Still find this curious as Utica would have to elevate the whole athletic department to D2. What conference would they join as their primary conference? NE-10? I don’t see Utica fitting into that..

Maybe East Coast Conference?
              Last edited by PrezdeJohnson09; 02-06-2020, 10:24 PM.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

You do understand that they can't just elevate the hockey program anymore? Fishman was correct, that window has long been closed.

They would have to elevate the ENTIRE athletic department, and they have to go through a much longer process nowadays to do so -- move to D2, stay there a bit, then move to D1, be on probation for a bit. It would take something like eight years to make the move.

Not to mention the expenses of moving an entire athletic department to D1. I never pictured Utica as a rich school and/or with some high end endowments.

EDIT: I did forget for hockey, all they have to do is move to D2, since there is technically no D2 hockey national championship, and thus can put their hockey team in a D1 league if they wish. So, not as difficult as I laid out. But, it will still be expensive, because you still have to move your entire athletic department to D2.
                Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 02-07-2020, 06:48 AM.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  You do understand that they can't just elevate the hockey program anymore? Fishman was correct, that window has long been closed.

They would have to elevate the ENTIRE athletic department, and they have to go through a much longer process nowadays to do so -- move to D2, stay there a bit, then move to D1, be on probation for a bit. It would take something like eight years to make the move.

Not to mention the expenses of moving an entire athletic department to D1. I never pictured Utica as a rich school and/or with some high end endowments.

EDIT: I did forget for hockey, all they have to do is move to D2, since there is technically no D2 hockey national championship, and thus can put their hockey team in a D1 league if they wish. So, not as difficult as I laid out. But, it will still be expensive, because you still have to move your entire athletic department to D2.
                  1) Rich alum(s) builds facilities for revenue sports - football and basketball...not just stadiums/arenas, but weight rooms, dining halls, dorms, for all the scholarship athletes of revenue sports
                  2) Rich alum(s) endow coaching positions to recruit the best coaches available and pay them 3-10x what tenured profs and the college president makes (before shoe, clothing, camp and other income)
                  3) Rich alum(s) endow marketing and sales operations to bring in players to enjoy those facilities and dorms, boosters and sponsors who want to get close to those players...
                  4) Rich alum(s) provide untraceable cash to close the deals for the best players, their families, wives, girlfriends, etc...
                  6) Rich alums pour more money to speed up the process so they can be proud of a winning tradition (of two years in a row)

Did I miss anything???

Oh yeah, I did - non revenue sports get screwed...so poor alum(s) support pancake breakfasts for basic needs.
                  Last edited by LakerEagleLover; 02-07-2020, 11:10 AM.
                  LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Thanks i know the rules. Im not saying it is happening, all im saying is it has been discussed at length

Comment

Well, yeah, but the AHA is generally a pretty terrible conference. It would practically (literally?) never garner an NCAA bid without the annual gift AQ.

I admit that it would be interesting on some level, and maybe that would let RIT off the hook..?
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-07-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Back to the real world.......

Utica picks up a quality win at Elmira tonight, 3-2.
                        2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                        2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                        2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                        2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                        2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                        2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                        Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                        1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                          Back to the real world.......

Utica picks up a quality win at Elmira tonight, 3-2.
                          Sh*t, I guess.

Huge win, unless the ridiculous conference tournament AQ BS negates it.

...And that moronic calculus is still in play.

No body of work amounts to anything under this system.
                          Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-07-2020, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Winning goal with just over a minute left, must of been a tremendous game !
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Needed meds after last night's game. Gotta take care of business today against LVC or it will all be for naught. Love the old barn, lots of great memories there.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                                Sh*t, I guess.

Huge win, unless the ridiculous conference tournament AQ BS negates it.

...And that moronic calculus is still in play.

No body of work amounts to anything under this system.
                                Utica is #2 in PWR. They are in no matter what. At least this year, your concerns won't matter for Utica.
                                Russell Jaslow
                                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Working...
                                X