Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Originally posted by russell jaslow View Post
    in d3, there is no sitting out after transferring no matter what in any sport.
    tyvm
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
      LOL

Not to mention, there is a huge amount of publicity for the publications that put them out.

Plus, TV networks use them to market big games they are about to televise.

Lots and lots of uses for the polls.
      The D3 polls are for us noobs, yes (except for Fish apparently). Different atmosphere for the big boys, as Russell says lots of uses and exposure.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
        What happened to Haskins? He was playing ...
        Good catch. He's no longer on the official roster either.

I know a guy who's very close to the team. I'll poke around at the next home game. I suspect that playing time was a factor. Utica carried 21 forwards in the first half of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsOfTheRound View Post
          val·ue
          /ˈvalyo͞o/
          noun
          the regard that something is held to deserve; the importance, worth, or usefulness of something.

People still regard it and programs and media think it has intrinsic worth. So I would say it has value in the dictionary first sense of the word.
          When a construct such as the coaches' poll has no "importance" whatsoever, I don't attach any value to it. Nobody should. It's utterly pointless no matter how you slice it.

Ask the next 500 people you see on the street who's the #1 D-3 team in that poll, and you'll get 500 blank stares. There's no "worth" or "usefulness" there. That side-show means absolutely nothing. We're not talking college football here, where meaningless hype might sell a ticket or two more. Hockey at this level will never make a dime in the vast majority of cases, so why not talk turkey about the actual process?

D-3 should publish the PWR as the poll, just so the very few interested people see a ranking that actually means something.
          Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-16-2020, 06:13 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            When a construct such as the coaches' poll has no "importance" whatsoever, I don't attach any value to it. Nobody should. It's utterly pointless no matter how you slice it.

Ask the next 500 people you see on the street who's the #1 D-3 team in that poll, and you'll get 500 blank stares. There's no "worth" or "usefulness" there. That side-show means absolutely nothing. We're not talking college football here, where meaningless hype might sell a ticket or two more. Hockey at this level will never make a dime in the vast majority of cases, so why not talk turkey about the actual process?

D-3 should publish the PWR as the poll, just so the very few interested people see a ranking that actually means something.
            Not that it matters but there are always outliers in the PWR and the uscho poll usually corrects those. Canton isnt the 4th best team in the country, LF isnt the 2nd best team in the country, St Norbert and Stevens Point are better than 26 and 27. The rankings are irrelevent anyways but it adds hype to games between ranked teams.

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
              Not that it matters but there are always outliers in the PWR and the uscho poll usually corrects those. Canton isnt the 4th best team in the country, LF isnt the 2nd best team in the country, St Norbert and Stevens Point are better than 26 and 27. The rankings are irrelevent anyways but it adds hype to games between ranked teams.
              Please. That silly poll hasn't "corrected" Jack.

The coaches' polls have been a joke for many years, and they've been based on reputation (not performance) for forever.

D-3 has the PWR now, thank God, and while that's far from perfect, it's way better than letting your equipment manager fill out some meaningless beauty contest form.
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-16-2020, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Long time gone. Does anyone know if the Wilkes game is being streamed any where? The thing I want to know is how UC is going to play Kings at 4:00 and Wilkes at 5:00. They must have a fast bus. Shabby how you doing?

Comment

I saw that also,I'm good Mr P, how about yourself ?

Comment

Hanging in there. Still suffering with my Sabres. Looks like Gate is doing pretty good. Hope they make the top 4.

Comment

Made the 2hr drive up to the WB. Wow UC just punched Wilkes right in the mouth hanging 5 on them in the 1st, chased goalie. All lines just buzzing, Wilkes wants nothing to do with the physicality!

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                        Made the 2hr drive up to the WB. Wow UC just punched Wilkes right in the mouth hanging 5 on them in the 1st, chased goalie. All lines just buzzing, Wilkes wants nothing to do with the physicality!
                        Big win! UC has gelled and is looking like a FF candidate right now. Landrigan has been a big piece of the puzzle, but Heenan has figured-out all the lines and it appears that the sky is the limit, currently.

Can't sleep on lowly King's tomorrow, though. Bringing home 4 league points on the bus will look good for the time being.

Comment

Wow, an 8-3 shellacking ! And I thought they played today, USCHO doesn't even have the box score.

Comment

Ho hum, 10-0 72 shots attempted, 51 on goal. Weekend sweep taking care of business when supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                              Ho hum, 10-0 72 shots attempted, 51 on goal. Weekend sweep taking care of business when supposed to.
                              Felt bad for King's G Daniels. Kept them in it 'til the 8-goal 3rd.

Now let's hope the bus trip home is a safe one. That stretch of 81 is a mamma-jammer in bad weather.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                                Wow, an 8-3 shellacking ! And I thought they played today, USCHO doesn't even have the box score.
                                Still don't... And they don't have UC's record correct in the standings, the PWR nor the KRACH... And they don't know how the UCHC parses points...

Other than that, they're doing a great job.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-18-2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X