Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
    This team definitely is up for consideration with being on par with that team, I'll have to do some stats-based comparing :-P . They definitely surprised me this year, as I had decent expectations, but nothing this good haha. It seems like after the winter break, a fire has been lit under them, not to mention 2 huge wins over Adrian. Also, key players coming back from injury, major confidence booster there. They do have their shaky moments, which still scares the heck out of me, but somehow they battle through it. I feel the sky is the limit with these guys, a ton of young talent with contributions from everyone. The next 2 weekends will have some of the biggest games of the season. I hope they can keep this momentum going into the playoffs, a whole different animal there.
    I kinda agree with your cautious assessment, but I'm more of the opinion that this team is even more loaded than the FF squad. The sky is indeed the limit.

Utica has a ton of depth this year. Even its 4th line skates rings around most teams' 1st lines, if they have to.

I wasn't very keen on them during the (very) early season, but I'm sold on them now. UC is playing like a steamroller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Russ, while I'm hardly an expert on the topic, the weak D-3 conferences are still weak, and don't deserve a sniff at the NCAA's via an AQ.
      "Time for reruns"

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
        "Time for reruns"
        Every year, right around Groundhog Day.

Comment

What a statement win! I was yelling at the computer which i'm sure helped the cause 😂Like Fish said, depth up and down all lines. Still have no idea how the Stevenson kid scored the third goal. It was like a fall away jumper. Great effort with goalie pulled. Ott didnt get on score sheet but had two huge blocks on great Stevenson looks. And another shorty from The Captain. Gonna be a great final weekend! See you at the Aud Fri and Sat.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
            Russ, while I'm hardly an expert on the topic, the weak D-3 conferences are still weak, and don't deserve a sniff at the NCAA's via an AQ.
            I wasn’t saying every conference deserves an auto bid. I said I think allowing every conference an AQ has helped close the gap. Of course there many factors for the better parity we’ve seen in D3, but I think that’s one of them.
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
              What a statement win! I was yelling at the computer which i'm sure helped the cause 😂Like Fish said, depth up and down all lines. Still have no idea how the Stevenson kid scored the third goal. It was like a fall away jumper. Great effort with goalie pulled. Ott didnt get on score sheet but had two huge blocks on great Stevenson looks. And another shorty from The Captain. Gonna be a great final weekend! See you at the Aud Fri and Sat.
              3rd Stevenson goal pin-balled off maybe three sets of legs... But, whatever. Stevenson is a big, fast and skilled team.

Another big win. Doing my best to figure out if UC can possibly miss an NCAA berth, and at this point, I'm thinking "no".

Comment

Doing my best to figure out if UC can possibly miss an NCAA berth, and at this point, I'm thinking "no".
                I already told you that two weeks ago. LOL
                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  I already told you that two weeks ago. LOL
                  Two weeks ago, it wasn't a done deal... Perhaps it is now.

Comment

I wasn’t saying every conference deserves an auto bid. I said I think allowing every conference an AQ has helped close the gap. Of course there many factors for the better parity we’ve seen in D3, but I think that’s one of them.
                    Certainly there's more parity than ever before, but haven't the MASCAC and the MIAC just contributed cannon-fodder 95% of the time over the past 10-15 years?

Just MO, but I'd love to see the entire field selected by the PWR or the KRACH.

That would be a more fun (and a more equitable) tournament to watch.
                    Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-15-2020, 11:28 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                      3rd Stevenson goal pin-balled off maybe three sets of legs... But, whatever. Stevenson is a big, fast and skilled team.

Another big win. Doing my best to figure out if UC can possibly miss an NCAA berth, and at this point, I'm thinking "no".
                      3rd goal went in clean and wasnt tipped. Was a nice shot. Id be shocked if they didnt get a bid. If they make it to the uchc final id consider them a lock

Comment

Two weeks ago, it wasn't a done deal... Perhaps it is now.
                        It was a done deal two weeks ago...
                        Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                          Intense game and a big win. After an even 1st, UC totally dominated for the next 30 mins until Stevenson, in desperation, came on like a cornered bear.
                          Wilkes game for the top seed...is it next Sat yet?

Comment

It was a done deal two weeks ago...
                            No it wasn't.

If UC had been swept this past weekend, and the lovely tournament AQ's had gone South after that...?

Whole new ball game.

Still, as stupid as the existing system is, UC should be comfortably in right now, and survive the ludicrous NCAA "calculus" ahead. But, every team below #4 in the PW -or those that might drop that low with a bad upcoming weekend- should be concerned. (Hell, 8 AQ's could be garnered by 8 #6 seeds... That's how moronic this system is.)
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-16-2020, 08:55 PM.

Comment

Big win against Stevenson Saturday, setting up a thriller for this upcoming Saturday v. Wilkes. UC skated well with Stevenson, especially in the 3rd period & big plays were made when they were needed on both sides. Credit to Stevenson, they're a heck of a team this year. If they end up meeting in the playoffs, I'll expect a battle the entire way. UC in control of their destiny now, as far as #1 in conference & 1st round BYE. NCAA rankings should be coming out soon I imagine? Interested to see how they rank there.
                              Last edited by UCfan30; 02-17-2020, 11:09 AM.
                              Utica Pioneers Hockey
                              2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
                              2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
                              2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
                              2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Certainly there's more parity than ever before, but haven't the MASCAC and the MIAC just contributed cannon-fodder 95% of the time over the past 10-15 years?
                                The MASCAC has not been provided many high seeds, but the MIAC has had Gustavus (2009) and St. Thomas (2005) make it to the finals and had quality representative in other years. The NCAA wants three things - representation of all eligible conferences, a field determined by the 1:6.5 ratio, a tight budget. These three factors are what determines the field make up and the brackets. It would be a better tournament if the field was determined by having one at large team for each automatic bid, but that won't happen because the NCAA also want to use the same rules for each DIII sport. It is a major deal that they allowed the use of the PWR to select and seed the field instead of the old "smoky room" regional rankings process used in every other sport. Are there better ways, yes. I would see a compromise of picking the conference reps as the top team in the PWR from each conference, but the NCAA cedes the choice of representatives to the conference, and many of them like the idea of having all their teams in the running for the national tournament until they are eliminated by either failing to make the league tournament or losing in the tournament. In reality, DIII sports are for the athletes, not the fans.
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X