Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
    That's the point he is making. Other neutral sites drew more with no local teams involved. In a hockey town, people will come out for hockey even with no local teams. I think that is his point.
    Bingo Pretty simple concept I thought....then again....
    Remy Babineaux
    remyb616@gmail.com
    D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Nobody shows up in Placid, either, unless the fan-bases are handy, last I checked, and not even then.

The Utica FF was fairly typical in that respect.

D-3 hockey is a cottage industry at best, and it would take a perfect storm of geography to fill any decent-sized venue in any given season.

Can you possibly imagine say, 5000 tickets sold for a D-3 FF anywhere on Earth?

I can't.
      I didn't pull #9 of 10 out of my *** It's all right there. What are you people, conjoined twins at the brain? The average Neutral FF Eastern Championship attendance total is over 2,700. Last I checked 2700 > 1500 no?? And to your point, yes 5,000 for a Championship would be amazing (not going to happen) nor was I expecting Utica to pull 5,000 (with them not in it)… but just as I said (and NUProf was reiterating, in a hockey town people will come out for hockey even with no local teams (not more than 1,000 below the average total).
      Remy Babineaux
      remyb616@gmail.com
      D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Been on vacation...thought I’d check in and see if USCHO paid the server bill...seems what’s old is new again...carry on.
        LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
          Yet couldnt get more than 1600 for the NCAA Finals?
          Where's this number sourced from? I was at each game when the FF was in Utica and it sure seemed like there were more than 1600 there for the final. I saw a lot of "regulars" you'd see at the Utica games at those FF games as well. People do care about hockey and want to see the best, even if it's not their team. I'm not going to get much more involved in the rest of the charade going on here lol....
          Utica Pioneers Hockey
          2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
          2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
          2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
          2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
            I didn't pull #9 of 10 out of my *** It's all right there. What are you people, conjoined twins at the brain? The average Neutral FF Eastern Championship attendance total is over 2,700. Last I checked 2700 > 1500 no?? And to your point, yes 5,000 for a Championship would be amazing (not going to happen) nor was I expecting Utica to pull 5,000 (with them not in it)… but just as I said (and NUProf was reiterating, in a hockey town people will come out for hockey even with no local teams (not more than 1,000 below the average total).
            There was never more than 1500 in LP. They didnt come close to filling the lower bowl

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
              There was never more than 1500 in LP. They didnt come close to filling the lower bowl
              The first year at Lake Placid in 2008 was a home run. Plattsburgh, Norwich, Elmira and St. Norbert were all there. You couldn’t have asked for a better field for that location back then and there were A LOT of people there for it.

Outside of that year, I’m not sure how big the crowds were. I know when oswego played Eau Claire in 2013 the crowd wasn’t nearly as big in 2008.

The year that it was UMass Boston, St. Norbert and Salve was VERY light attendance.
              The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
              "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
              GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
              GO LAKERS!!!
              GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
              "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
              Oswego State '09

Comment

Just for giggles and the fun of it, what is the best hockey town in D3 hockey? Is it Utica because of their attendance, is it Oswego who is also up there in attendance every year and does a fantastic job with their on-line coverage and has a tremendous youth and high school hockey program? Is it Plattsburgh, Norwich, Geneseo, St. Norbert?, Etc. etc. Looking at the attendance numbers from the last 10 years or so there are definitely some great hockey towns in New York State, but I’m sure there’s other states that would argue for themselves as well. Just throwing it out there to see what other people think. I wonder what the criteria should be for best hockey town? Being partial to Oswego, I know that the town supports the college hockey program very much so and when I travel to some other venues there seems to be a lot of Oswego fans in attendance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Laker89 View Post
                  Just for giggles and the fun of it, what is the best hockey town in D3 hockey? Is it Utica because of their attendance, is it Oswego who is also up there in attendance every year and does a fantastic job with their on-line coverage and has a tremendous youth and high school hockey program? Is it Plattsburgh, Norwich, Geneseo, St. Norbert?, Etc. etc. Looking at the attendance numbers from the last 10 years or so there are definitely some great hockey towns in New York State, but I’m sure there’s other states that would argue for themselves as well. Just throwing it out there to see what other people think. I wonder what the criteria should be for best hockey town? Being partial to Oswego, I know that the town supports the college hockey program very much so and when I travel to some other venues there seems to be a lot of Oswego fans in attendance.
                  Not to rain on your party but it has been some time but Oswego High school and youth hockey programs haven’t been that good in sometime.
                  Seems to be the trend in central NY

Comment

Originally posted by Laker89 View Post
                    There is only one answer. Its Plattsburgh...no ifs ands or buts

Comment

• Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                      There is only one answer. Its Plattsburgh...no ifs ands or buts
                      All kidding aside, last week the high school game for Hana's Hope at Stafford Arena had over 1300. Not bad. But there are none of us afraid to admit in the last 10 years, attendance at PSUC men's hockey games has dwindled. The days of old Ronnie are gone. Beore the redo, it was considered a small crowd with less than 2500. Games against Oswego always drew over 3500 people and 7000 tennis balls. Those were the days.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post
                        PSUCk/Prof, you two are barking-up the wrong tree.

What in the World is your collective point..? And what, in any quantifiable sense, constitutes a "hockey town", anyway..? Northfield, Platty..? (And, furthermore, who cares?)

I didn't attend the Utica FF because I didn't give a sh*t about the teams involved. And, evidently, very few locals gave a sh*t about them either. Ergo, the poor attendance.

The outdoor event will probably be a big hit, if the weather cooperates, or a huge waste of time and money if not.

Your sniping comes-off as pointless and petty BS, in either case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

What in the World is your collective point..? And what, in any quantifiable sense, constitutes a "hockey town", anyway..? Northfield, Platty..? (And, furthermore, who cares?)

I didn't attend the Utica FF because I didn't give a sh*t about the teams involved. And, evidently, very few locals gave a sh*t about them either. Ergo, the poor attendance.

The outdoor event will probably be a big hit, if the weather cooperates, or a huge waste of time and money if not.

Preach Mr. Fishman. 15 straight is that good? Psu please confirm

Comment

Supporting hockey, not just a team, is a good starter. Something Utica does not do. Support UC? Sure. Even you yourself have pointed out reasons why people go to the UC games. It has little to do with the love of hockey....and Prof nor I were the ones who first brought up (nor care to) comparing Utica to another city listed. I think my stance on Plattsburgh has been stated several times over the past 10-15 years....

.and funny you come up with PSUCk...cute...yet again no kidding , what has UC done? *crickets*crickets* about as much as the points you get right around here. I guess in order to PSUCk, you actually had to have done something, one team has....one team has not. Look on the bright side, UC has more NCAA Playoff appearances than Morrisville and Brockport Hopefully someone is around with a respirator again this year come playoffs for them. Remember, unlike PSU, you can't spell suck with out sUCk. (And yes its a freaking joke don't get your panties all in a bunch).

Thank you for making my point once again. Open mouth, insert foot. Couldn't have said it better. A "hockey town" will come out and support hockey, whether their team is in it or not.

It might and or it might not (see my actual serious post). The whole outdoor thing (to some of us) has really faded. If this was 10-15 years ago, people would come from all over. Now coaches, players, parents whatever have all played or attended some sort of outdoor game (playing or watching). Cool yes, but I wouldn't expect more than 3,000 for the college game *will still be a decent crowd for DIII yes* when A. Its outside so a lot of people wont want to chance being cold B. You're going to need a bigger influx of non UC fans (just hockey fans) to come out, and the NCAA FF showed (and you even reiterated) that they just don't care about "hockey" in town. Had the Utica people come out and supported the FF (whether Utica was in it or not), and filled the Aud (heck even 2,000) I would more lean on the side of it being a hit.

And I (or anyone on here) care what you think because? The only "BS" is the blabber, lies, and fairytales that come out of your pie hole on a consistent basis. Tho I give you credit, you actually semi-manned up and admitted to being wrong for a change...That's almost as good as SiceDoggy claiming UC would have more NCAA bids but doesnt because they just got the autobid (yet only won a league tournament once - not sure what they put in the water in Utica for people to live in such fairytales). Probably the same one who always thought Utica played such a great NC schedule years ago too...then again, also said there was less than 1,000 fans at every Lake Placid Championship lol he has to be related to you....
                            Remy Babineaux
                            remyb616@gmail.com
                            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                              Preach Mr. Fishman. 15 straight is that good? Psu please confirm
                              Whats that? How many times UC has choked in the playoffs (or would have had that Autobid right? lol)
                              Remy Babineaux
                              remyb616@gmail.com
                              D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Close game last night, Naz upset Wilkes last night so now just a tie tonight wins the league, instead of a win.
                                Last edited by sshablak; 02-22-2020, 07:45 AM.
                                It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Working...
                                X