Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
    No it wasn't.

If UC had been swept this past weekend, and the lovely tournament AQ's had gone South after that...?
    But you are forgetting one key factor. If all the predicted tournament AQs went south, how would they all jump Utica in the PWR for the Group C bids, if they ALL lost in their conference playoffs? They would all be in the same boat as Utica. Only Norwich was ahead of Utica. So how would three teams jump Utica when Utica was #2 in the PWR when everybody lost?

That’s why I keep saying once Utica settled into the #2 PWR spot, they were in. (Granted I was assuming Utica didn’t **** the bed in their last few regular season weekends. But if they did, they would not deserve to be in anyway.)
    Last edited by Russell Jaslow; 02-17-2020, 05:19 PM.
    Russell Jaslow
    [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
    U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by UCfan30 View Post
      Big win against Stevenson Saturday, setting up a thriller for this upcoming Saturday v. Wilkes. UC skated well with Stevenson, especially in the 3rd period & big plays were made when they were needed on both sides. Credit to Stevenson, they're a heck of a team this year. If they end up meeting in the playoffs, I'll expect a battle the entire way. UC in control of their destiny now, as far as #1 in conference & 1st round BYE. NCAA rankings should be coming out soon I imagine? Interested to see how they rank there.
      There are no more NCAA rankings. They go strictly by the PWR.
      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Russ, Prof, and everyone else: this is the problem:

A given team could be #5 PW at the end of the season, and be entirely displaced by a #37 PW team once the conference tourneys shake-out. That, after a 25-game RS.

Doesn't make a bit of sense. There's still work to do here.
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-17-2020, 10:33 PM.

Comment

A given team could be #5 PW at the end of the season, and be entirely displaced by a #37 PW team once the conference tourneys shake-out. That, after a 25-game RS.

If that happens, they blew it in their own league tournament. This is structured as if the tournament starts with the league tournaments, but 4 teams get a second bite at the the apple after they lose. (The exception being the WIAC teams who can only get in as Pool C entrants).
          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by NUProf View Post
            If that happens, they blew it in their own league tournament. This is structured as if the tournament starts with the league tournaments, but 4 teams get a second bite at the the apple after they lose. (The exception being the WIAC teams who can only get in as Pool C entrants).
            Huh?

So you're endorsing the fact that the conference tournaments trump the RS?

I thought you were a statistician.

Comment

Wait, wait, wait.

That is NOT what I or you were just talking about. Come on Fish. Reading comprehension. The only debate in my last post was about whether Utica had a bid locked up once they rose to the #2 PWR. At that point, about two weeks ago, I said they were in no matter what. You didn’t agree with me. I laid out why I thought so. This time, it has nothing to do with your age old argument. It was a debate totally separate from that.
              Russell Jaslow

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Again, the NCAA does not dictate that conference tournament winners earn the Pool A bids.

Conferences that meet certain criteria are awarded 1 Pool A bid each season to issue as they choose. Every conference that has a Pool A to distribute currently gives it to their post season tournament champion. Your beef is with each conference, not the NCAA.

The Big 10, for example, up until fairly recently did not have a post season basketball tournament and issued their auto-bid to the regular season champion.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                  Again, the NCAA does not dictate that conference tournament winners earn the Pool A bids.

Conferences that meet certain criteria are awarded 1 Pool A bid each season to issue as they choose. Every conference that has a Pool A to distribute currently gives it to their post season tournament champion. Your beef is with each conference, not the NCAA.

The Big 10, for example, up until fairly recently did not have a post season basketball tournament and issued their auto-bid to the regular season champion.

I'm pretty sure the Pac 12 has the same thing... Regular season champ getting an Auto Bid

Comment

• Originally posted by hockeyfan77 View Post
                    I'm pretty sure the Pac 12 has the same thing... Regular season champ getting an Auto Bid
                    On another note ...UVM Basketball has 21 wins this season. If they don't win the America East Conference championship there is no way they will get a NCAA bid. If wasn't for the AQ the America East would never get a bid. So, is that fair to these D1 players? Remember they are capable of winning in the tournament. Ask Syracuse.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

I saw on Twitter that there is a big announcement for Utica hockey tomorrow. My guess is they’re changing leagues or maybe D1?
                      2006, 2010 ECAC West Pick'Em Champion.

Comment

Comets and pioneers together announcing something tomorrow. My bet is outdoor game.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                          On another note ...UVM Basketball has 21 wins this season. If they don't win the America East Conference championship there is no way they will get a NCAA bid. If wasn't for the AQ the America East would never get a bid. So, is that fair to these D1 players? Remember they are capable of winning in the tournament. Ask Syracuse.
                          This is the unfairness of the DI basketball selection process. Throughout the years there have been teams from minor (so-called "midmajor") conferences that have had RPI numbers that should have let them in, but instead a seventh place team from a "Power 5" conference is selected in the smoky room. If they used their metric and selected the 68 - n (where n is the number of outbids) best teams in the metric (now the NET) instead of the way they do it, there would be more fairness, but the Big Undercount (aka the Big 10) and the Big Overcount (aka the big 12) have to be represented with multiple multiple selections no matter how far down in the standings they are.
                          2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                          2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                          2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                          2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                            Wait, wait, wait.

That is NOT what I or you were just talking about. Come on Fish. Reading comprehension. The only debate in my last post was about whether Utica had a bid locked up once they rose to the #2 PWR. At that point, about two weeks ago, I said they were in no matter what. You didn’t agree with me. I laid out why I thought so. This time, it has nothing to do with your age old argument. It was a debate totally separate from that.
                            Russ, UC didn't have a mortal lock on a bid before last weekend's games. There were teams close enough to drive Utica down to 5th in the PW, and then the AQ's could have closed the door in a perfect storm.

Now, Utica is safely in, if my homework is accurate.

"Comprehend" that, old bud!
                            Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-18-2020, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Utica vs Oswego OUTDOORS next February

https://twitter.com/OD_Birnell/statu...019533826?s=20

Comment

Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post
                                Utica vs Oswego OUTDOORS next February

https://twitter.com/OD_Birnell/statu...019533826?s=20
                                Full rundown via Utica Comets: https://www.uticacomets.com/news/det...-state-classic

Well, time to count down to next year lol. That's going to be awesome, interested to see where they'll put the rink, how they build it, etc. The Frozen Dome a few years ago was great with the same teams. Both the Syracuse and Utica management definitely like to go big and know how to do it right.
                                Last edited by UCfan30; 02-19-2020, 11:01 AM.
                                Utica Pioneers Hockey
                                2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
                                2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
                                2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
                                2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X