Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

The coaches poll is for the weekly "it's fun to see where my team is" (or isn't) thrill on Monday afternoons. But as for substance the PWR is what matters now for AL bids. Over the years as I learn more, I've learned to pay more attention to what matters for the Big Dance. Last one standing is all that the players and coaches will remember anyways.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
      Good catch. He's no longer on the official roster either.

I know a guy who's very close to the team. I'll poke around at the next home game. I suspect that playing time was a factor. Utica carried 21 forwards in the first half of the season.
      I heard four players left. One transferred to Naz. Others (I heard) showed up tipsy, shall we say, to practice and then we're showed the door. But that's not confirmed, just what is in the grapevine. Not sure if all 3 others or just one or what. But shortly after I heard this, team's play improved markedly.
      Last edited by hue-z; 01-28-2020, 08:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hue-z View Post
        I heard four players left. One transferred to Naz. Others (I heard) showed up tipsy, shall we say, to practice and then we're showed the door. But that's not confirmed, just what is in the grapevine. Not sure if all 3 others or just one or what. But shortly after I heard this, team's play improved markedly.
        Well -and maybe more to the point- those 4 guys were 1-0-1 in the aggregate with very little ice-time this season.

Etelisano was a historical contributor, but the others weren't, and the roster was jam-packed to begin with. I expected a purge of expendable forwards at the mid-season mark.

(Gerson's departure was the lone head-scratcher to me, him being a Senior. Heenan has a history of rewarding his veterans.)
        Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-29-2020, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
          Well -and maybe more to the point- those 4 guys were 1-0-1 in the aggregate with very little ice-time this season.

Etelisano was a historical contributor, but the others weren't, and the roster was jam-packed to begin with. I expected a purge of expendable forwards at the mid-season mark.

(Gerson's departure was the lone head-scratcher to me, him being a Senior. Heenan has a history of rewarding his veterans.)
          What happened to Haskins?

Comment

• Originally posted by hue-z View Post
            Your 50% correct. Team is 7-0 since the shakeup

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
              Your 50% correct. Team is 7-0 since the shakeup
              I interrogate a couple of parents when I see them on the concourse, but their stories generally don't match-up well enough to repeat them here.

Still, I wouldn't call the roster moves a shake-up. Nobody who left played any significant minutes.

But, yeah, UC is a far better team than it was in the 1st half. The Fr. have come on strong, yes, but Landrigan's return from injury has been a very key piece of the puzzle. He's the most talented player on the roster, and he's having an All-American caliber 2nd half so far.

(And I don't know him or anyone in his circle, but he's a special player. You could see it coming when he showed-up in Utica. His return has been a big deal.)
              Last edited by Fishman'81; 01-30-2020, 05:18 PM.

Comment

9-1 win tonight. Team is scary and seems to score at will. Landrigan adds a whole different element to this team. I dont think there is a better d3 player in the nation right now

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
                  9-1 win tonight. Team is scary and seems to score at will. Landrigan adds a whole different element to this team. I dont think there is a better d3 player in the nation right now
                  Nobody wants to see UC right now. Not even their mothers.

Comment

UC now #2 in PWR !
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyguy1424 View Post
                      What happened to Haskins?

I don't where he went, but he was never a factor in terms of talent.

I wish him well in any case.
                      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-02-2020, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Seeing Mike McMahon is tweeting candidates list for the UVM job. I know before Heenan was in mix for Alaska job, took asst. job at Union. Any thoughts on if he would go if considered and also just to spark conversation...let's say he does leave. Is there anyone on the current roster that would follow him possibly to UVM.

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                          Seeing Mike McMahon is tweeting candidates list for the UVM job. I know before Heenan was in mix for Alaska job, took asst. job at Union. Any thoughts on if he would go if considered and also just to spark conversation...let's say he does leave. Is there anyone on the current roster that would follow him possibly to UVM.
                          Heenan talked himself out of the Union job before the fact (and in public) years and years ago.

My guess is that he's settled-in here. And why not, unless a truly plum D-1 offer comes his way?

Vermont isn't that.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Heenan talked himself out of the Union job before the fact (and in public) years and years ago.

My guess is that he's settled-in here. And why not, unless a truly plum D-1 offer comes his way?

Vermont isn't that.
                            Sadly, until the big scandal, UVM hockey was THE athletic program at the school and the entire state. Then the elephant walk happened, Gilligan was pushed aside, bouncy ball showed some success and Sneddon was never really the answer. It will take someone who will take some big steps to turn that program around.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by capswon View Post
                              From my sources on the inside, Heenan may not even have to leave Utica to get a D1 coaching job in the next year or two...the paperwork was submitted to the NCAA

Comment

• Originally posted by Pioneer247 View Post
                                From my sources on the inside, Heenan may not even have to leave Utica to get a D1 coaching job in the next year or two...the paperwork was submitted to the NCAA
                                ?? Utica is considering bringing its entire athletic department up to D2? That’s the only way they could play D1 hockey now....
                                The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                                "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                                GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                                GO LAKERS!!!
                                GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                                "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                                Oswego State '09

Comment

Working...
                                X