Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Utica College hockey. ..Can we catch a break this season?

Originally posted by capswon View Post
    Needed meds after last night's game. Gotta take care of business today against LVC or it will all be for naught. Love the old barn, lots of great memories there.
    All business vs. LVC 12 straight wins!
    Four home games to close the regular season with the next two Saturday night Main Events vs. Stevenson and Wilkes. Gonna be fun!

Comment

Originally posted by jcase View Post
      All business vs. LVC 12 straight wins!
      Four home games to close the regular season with the next two Saturday night Main Events vs. Stevenson and Wilkes. Gonna be fun!
      Sure seems to be the best Utica team since the Educate FF crew... Maybe better.

The drag is not in the bag yet, though. Despite what Russ says, a collapse down the stretch and they could be out of the mix.

(I don't expect that, but UC must keep the pedal down.)
      Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-09-2020, 08:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

The drag is not in the bag yet, though. Despite what Russ says, a collapse down the stretch and they could be out of the mix.

Yup. With the next two Friday games against Chatham(9th place)/King's(10th) the proverbial "looking ahead" to Saturday's Stevenson(2nd)/Wilkes(1st) is certainly a possibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post

Not sure how you can compare the two teams. Right now youre basing that on regular season performance and we all know the regular season means nothing.

Comment

• Originally posted by snc1 View Post
            Not sure how you can compare the two teams. Right now youre basing that on regular season performance and we all know the regular season means nothing.
            There isnt much else to compare. You make it seem like that 2013 team went on a tear in the postseason. That frozen 4 team got bounced first round of the ECACW tourny, got an AL and hosted a QF game that they won, and then lost in the final 4. They were 1-2 in postseason that year. This years team will at the very least match the 2013 team regular season, and hopefully have more luck in playoffs.

Comment

Originally posted by snc1 View Post
              I like what you did there.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

...Only because people such as yourself (and Russ) are seemingly in love with the ridiculous PS-tournament AQ status-quo..? Is that what you meant to say?

(And I'll lend you an apostrophe any time you need one.)
                Last edited by Fishman'81; 02-11-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                  ...Only because people such as yourself (and Russ) are seemingly in love with the ridiculous PS-tournament AQ status-quo..? Is that what you meant to say?

Thats not what i meant to say at all.

Thanks for your help with my grammar. Id return the favor by giving you the number to a quality health care provider for your bullying narcissism, but narcissists cant be helped.

Comment

Thats not what i meant to say at all.

Thanks for your help with my grammar. Id return the favor by giving you the number to a quality health care provider for your bullying narcissism, but narcissists cant be helped.
                    I'm too old to be Narcissistic. Gave it up years ago.

Comment

I am. With one exception -- I'd like to see less teams make the conference playoffs. Like the way the SUNYAC does it. Or even less than that.

Maybe we can start a gofundme effort for him...
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                        I am. With one exception -- I'd like to see less teams make the conference playoffs. Like the way the SUNYAC does it. Or even less than that.
                        It would certainly be a less ridiculous scenario should many fewer teams receive a re-do after the fact. We agree there.

But why in the world should even 3rd or 4th place teams even have a shot at an AQ, a situation that holds no merit whatsoever?

Why not sort the field on the basis of the PWR (or, preferably, the KRACH) and not be worried if, say, the SUNYAC, garners 4 berths in a given year, or none at all?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

It would certainly be a less ridiculous scenario should many fewer teams receive a re-do after the fact. We agree there.

But why in the world should even 3rd or 4th place teams even have a shot at an AQ, a situation that holds no merit whatsoever?

Why not sort the field on the basis of the PWR (or, preferably, the KRACH) and not be worried if, say, the SUNYAC, garners 4 berths in a given year, or none at all?

Makes perfect sense to me.
                          Because the national playoffs start at the conference playoffs. And I've never had a philosophical problem with that.

As for the current rule forcing every conference to have at least one bid ... well, there I can see why people have issues with that (though, in the long run, I think it has helped weaker conferences up their game and not just in hockey). Especially since that wasn't always the case until D3 passed sweeping legislation to change the national playoff landscape.
                          Russell Jaslow

Comment

This team definitely is up for consideration with being on par with that team, I'll have to do some stats-based comparing :-P . They definitely surprised me this year, as I had decent expectations, but nothing this good haha. It seems like after the winter break, a fire has been lit under them, not to mention 2 huge wins over Adrian. Also, key players coming back from injury, major confidence booster there. They do have their shaky moments, which still scares the heck out of me, but somehow they battle through it. I feel the sky is the limit with these guys, a ton of young talent with contributions from everyone. The next 2 weekends will have some of the biggest games of the season. I hope they can keep this momentum going into the playoffs, a whole different animal there.
                            Utica Pioneers Hockey
                            2012-13 Frozen Four Semi-Finalist
                            2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 UCHC Regular Season Champs
                            2017-18 UCHC Tournament Champions
                            2019-20 UCHC Tournament Champions

Comment

Utica now tied for 2nd in UCHC as Nazareth scored in the 2nd OT (3 on 3) over Stevenson. Stevenson get 1 point out of the evening. Utica and Stevenson ends the night with 37 league points each.
                              2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                              2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                              2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                              2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                              2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                              2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                              2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                              Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                              1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                                Because the national playoffs start at the conference playoffs. And I've never had a philosophical problem with that.

As for the current rule forcing every conference to have at least one bid ... well, there I can see why people have issues with that (though, in the long run, I think it has helped weaker conferences up their game and not just in hockey). Especially since that wasn't always the case until D3 passed sweeping legislation to change the national playoff landscape.
                                Russ, while I'm hardly an expert on the topic, the weak D-3 conferences are still weak, and don't deserve a sniff at the NCAA's via an AQ.

Comment

Working...
                                X