UNH 2019/20....Positive Vibes!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH 2019/20....Positive Vibes!?

First off, it’s great to see that others give a **** about the team! This thread for UNH used to be a go to for great discussions from fans of UNH and others yet we see what has happened since Scarano dismantled the program, boosters and team!(as he has done to the men’s team equally).....HockeyNuzz hits on all points! No system, consideration for possession is nonexistent, shots that mean little more than stats....if not for Harnett and Boutilier, the Cats would be contending with HC! It’s a shame because this team does have the talent to compete for home ice and then some!! Losing 6 of 8 points to the teams you must beat can happen but if you watched the games, it shouldn’t have.....the choices made in zone, individualism, shots taken were more than disappointing, I’m sorry to say! I really thought the team was going to make home ice but now.....9 league games left, 5 vs HC, Merrimack, and Maine, teams below UNH as of now, if just by a point!
    One never knows in sports, but to assume that UVM, UConn, and Providi will play even while UNH gains 10 points is a bit of a reach.....sad to say because these seniors deserve more! Hopefully, something will change going down the stretch and the coaches will give them their best....as the players have all year!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyNuzz View Post
      Well, the team is once again falling behind the other teams at a crucial time. Until the coaches learn that puck possession is the critical measure, this team will underperform. There is no scoring because they never leave the d-zone with puck control. They get control, dump it out, the opponent brings it back, repeat. It's been years of the same failings yet the coaches can't figure it out. This year's team is actually packed with talent but not the coaches. The other teams progress while this team regresses. Negative motivation and unintelligible hockey decisions cripple the morale. (They're playing their top scorer from last season on the third line, yet wonder why the goals aren't coming.) There are just too many failures to mention. You can't be .500 or less in any endeavor (for 15 years!) and keep your job except at UNH.
      The top scorer from last year has played on lines 1,2 and 3 and hasnt scored this year. There is talent on all 3 of those lines so dont blame the linemates!!! To go a step further you could argue there isnt a top line on this team.

Comment

Well, the team is once again falling behind the other teams at a crucial time. Until the coaches learn that puck possession is the critical measure, this team will underperform. There is no scoring because they never leave the d-zone with puck control. They get control, dump it out, the opponent brings it back, repeat. It's been years of the same failings yet the coaches can't figure it out. This year's team is actually packed with talent but not the coaches. The other teams progress while this team regresses. Negative motivation and unintelligible hockey decisions cripple the morale. (They're playing their top scorer from last season on the third line, yet wonder why the goals aren't coming.) There are just too many failures to mention. You can't be .500 or less in any endeavor (for 15 years!) and keep your job except at UNH.
        So UNH outshoots PC by 10 on Sat. So if they possessed the puck more they would have outshot them by 20?? How do they possess they puck more? Carolina has the highest Corsi rating yet they are in 9th place in NHL. So do they play more small-area games in practice? how do you force them to support the puck carrier? My biggest take away from Womans college hockey is that many girls come into this not knowing simply systems. When they are away from the puck the are just watching - not thinking about how to support or moving to areas to support more.

Comment

Originally posted by BlizzardDad View Post
          So UNH outshoots PC by 10 on Sat. So if they possessed the puck more they would have outshot them by 20?? How do they possess they puck more? Carolina has the highest Corsi rating yet they are in 9th place in NHL. So do they play more small-area games in practice? how do you force them to support the puck carrier? My biggest take away from Womans college hockey is that many girls come into this not knowing simply systems. When they are away from the puck the are just watching - not thinking about how to support or moving to areas to support more.
          What's a puck possession team: Here are clues - Do both your D's back up at the same time or does the strong side d pinch and try to keep it in the zone? If both your D's back up then you are essentially giving the other team an invite to play the game in your zone. Does your team finally break it out only to dump it in and change and essentially give the puck to the other team? So you have Quinnipiac on one end - no puck possession, but d minded and then you have Colgate on the other that is puck possession to the max. Which style has been more successful lately? Everyone knows the answer to that. And now you see Cornell copying Colgate since Dean Jackson is from the Fargo coaching tree and you can see how well it is working. Of course someone is going to say Cornell was tripped up by Union, but guess what Sciba is also from the Fargo coaching tree.
          Last edited by Reddington; 01-20-2020, 11:15 AM.

Comment

The top scorer from last year has played on lines 1,2 and 3 and hasnt scored this year. There is talent on all 3 of those lines so dont blame the linemates!!! To go a step further you could argue there isnt a top line on this team.
            I guess I'd define the top lines as the ones that play the most and that get first crack at the PP. With this definition, Line 1 hasn't produced in over a month. I'm not blaming the linemates or players but the coaching. There is no discernable defensive system, which relegates the team to spending the majority of the time stuck in their d-zone. Also, shooting and winning are very loosely correlated. It's all about scoring plays and this team takes low percentage (some might say selfish) shots as opposed to making scoring plays by passing the puck to open players. If a player demonstrated their ability to be a top scorer but has hit a slump, I think I'd not demotivate them even further by moving them down (and constantly criticizing them, too.) Proven good players just need positive motivation; they're hard enough on themselves already.

Also, are we the only team in Hockey East that just roll their top lines on the PP. Doesn't every other team (at all levels and leagues) stack a power play line. These coaches don't, even though the PP is pathetic. What was Einstein's quote? "The definition of stupidity is repeating the same thing but expecting a different outcome".

The team plays at the sophistication level of a Squirt team of 10 year olds. The coaches don't have the experience or incentive to change it.

Comment

I guess I'd define the top lines as the ones that play the most and that get first crack at the PP. With this definition, Line 1 hasn't produced in over a month. I'm not blaming the linemates or players but the coaching. There is no discernable defensive system, which relegates the team to spending the majority of the time stuck in their d-zone. Also, shooting and winning are very loosely correlated. It's all about scoring plays and this team takes low percentage (some might say selfish) shots as opposed to making scoring plays by passing the puck to open players. If a player demonstrated their ability to be a top scorer but has hit a slump, I think I'd not demotivate them even further by moving them down (and constantly criticizing them, too.) Proven good players just need positive motivation; they're hard enough on themselves already.

Also, are we the only team in Hockey East that just roll their top lines on the PP. Doesn't every other team (at all levels and leagues) stack a power play line. These coaches don't, even though the PP is pathetic. What was Einstein's quote? "The definition of stupidity is repeating the same thing but expecting a different outcome".

The team plays at the sophistication level of a Squirt team of 10 year olds. The coaches don't have the experience or incentive to change it.
              That's where coaches get confused - you can play a line like they are the top line, but if another line has better numbers is that line really the top line? That's why girls' hockey coaches for the most part are political rather than analytical. Then, there is job preservation, I really can't figure out what girls are the better girls and I will just roll lines and keep all the girls content enough to not complain to the ad.
              Last edited by Reddington; 01-20-2020, 11:44 AM.

Comment

If you're referring to # 12, she has 4 G, 10 A, and is 3rd on the team in points, 3 off the leader. Comparing last year to this season so far, total point production is down. If you consider that 6 of the ten remaining regular season games left are against Maine, BU, and BC, unless a lot of players not named Jada start putting the puck in the net, it will be a dismal finish. I agree, this is a talented a team as UNH has put on the ice in years, but they need to find some chemistry, regardless of the line combos. I would agree that there is not one standout, go to line this year. Just combinations of 3.

What I have seen so far in 2020 are WAY TOO many shots from the goal line extended, or close to it. Bad angle shots, and no one in position to pick up a rebound, puck carriers pulling the goaltender and shooting to the belly instead of passing to the open side for a lay up, or just plain missing the net so far and hard that we lose the zone. 1st semester play was more cohesive.
                GP G A P
                24 McManus, Meghara 24 11 6 17
                19 Turner, Carlee 24 7 9 16
                12 Wenczkowski, Taylor 24 4 10 14
                10 Martin, Lauren 24 4 8 12
                18 Thiérus, Tamara 24 2 10 12
                15 Howran, Tori 24 1 11 12
                25 Rickwood, Emily 24 4 5 9
                16 Christian, Jada 24 5 2 7
                4 Dunbar, Nicole 21 4 3 7
                6 Middleton, Grace 24 1 6 7

2018-2019 Season stats
                # Player GP G A PTS
                12 Taylor Wenczkowski 36 20 6 26
                24 Meghara McManus 36 12 8 20
                17 Devan Taylor 36 8 10 18
                10 Lauren Martin 36 3 14 17
                19 Carlee Turner 36 8 8 16
                15 Tori Howran 36 4 11 15
                21 Marie-Jo Pelletier 36 3 12 15
                4 Nicole Dunbar 36 6 8 14
                9 Paige Rynne 36 4 8 12
                25 Emily Rickwood 36 0 11 11
                14 Jenna Rheault 35 2 8 10
                Last edited by DC78-82; 01-21-2020, 11:57 AM.
                "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Ha ha. the meltdown is on...the line to the AD's door will be long as players transfer and explain what the hell is going on with the Witt gong show....she really ought to choose her words more carefully as they could REALLY come back to haunt her....this team will win one of its 5 remaining games showing how the coach has done NOTHING with this team in 6 yaears, watch as this dismal season collapses as Witt, bowes and crew can no longer ride a good goalie....Big scorer # 12 with 6 goals of which 5 are on PP never seen a player with less hockey sense....wide open slap shots in the slot over the net yet the unwaivering commitment from the coaches--how about the check from behind and 5:00 penalty that goes unaddressed while Dunbar gets benched for a slash....?? and turner with 7 goals with 5 on PP?? good player that has been awarded agregious ice time for years....these girls have been on every power play for 4 years....these goals are simply because they are on the ice all the time...what's the saying....? "even a blind squirrel finds a nut"?? certainly no development....the power play which is basically slap shots from the point is mind numbing......With Boutelier out Witt is fully exposed as her game of banging it off the high glass, dumping and chasing and shooting anything while hoping for a sh@t bounce or rebound has shown it Is inferior to possession and a plan.....newsflash coach Witt jones and bowes...if you can't coach and develop and you can't recruit you can't be D1 coaches....unless the AD just doesn't care.... but he might at the end of this mess!

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                  If you're referring to # 12, she has 4 G, 10 A, and is 3rd on the team in points, 3 off the leader. Comparing last year to this season so far, total point production is down. If you consider that 6 of the ten remaining regular season games left are against Maine, BU, and BC, unless a lot of players not named Jada start putting the puck in the net, it will be a dismal finish. I agree, this is a talented a team as UNH has put on the ice in years, but they need to find some chemistry, regardless of the line combos. I would agree that there is not one standout, go to line this year. Just combinations of 3.

What I have seen so far in 2020 are WAY TOO many shots from the goal line extended, or close to it. Bad angle shots, and no one in position to pick up a rebound, puck carriers pulling the goaltender and shooting to the belly instead of passing to the open side for a lay up, or just plain missing the net so far and hard that we lose the zone. 1st semester play was more cohesive.
                  GP G A P
                  24 McManus, Meghara 24 11 6 17
                  19 Turner, Carlee 24 7 9 16
                  12 Wenczkowski, Taylor 24 4 10 14
                  10 Martin, Lauren 24 4 8 12
                  18 Thiérus, Tamara 24 2 10 12
                  15 Howran, Tori 24 1 11 12
                  25 Rickwood, Emily 24 4 5 9
                  16 Christian, Jada 24 5 2 7
                  4 Dunbar, Nicole 21 4 3 7
                  6 Middleton, Grace 24 1 6 7

2018-2019 Season stats
                  # Player GP G A PTS
                  12 Taylor Wenczkowski 36 20 6 26
                  24 Meghara McManus 36 12 8 20
                  17 Devan Taylor 36 8 10 18
                  10 Lauren Martin 36 3 14 17
                  19 Carlee Turner 36 8 8 16
                  15 Tori Howran 36 4 11 15
                  21 Marie-Jo Pelletier 36 3 12 15
                  4 Nicole Dunbar 36 6 8 14
                  9 Paige Rynne 36 4 8 12
                  25 Emily Rickwood 36 0 11 11
                  14 Jenna Rheault 35 2 8 10

Comment

I do hope that potential UNH recruits are not reading these posts! Some times your best just to keep quiet.

Comment

puckdrop 14 makes a valid point, in that despite our disappointment in the teams second half of the season, the continued coaching questions and the repetition of poor if any systematic play, keep in mind that yesterday you were able to watch our Alumni in the 2 biggest venues for women’s hockey! Jonna Curtis and MJ Pelletier were selected for the NWHL Allstar game, while Kacey Bellamy continues to do her Alma Mater proud wearing the USA emblem! My point is that if you ask any UNH hockey Alum, woman or man, despite the decline of our programs, there is nowhere else they would rather have played!! I have vocalized who and why I believe this has occurred but no one I know would trade their UNH experiences for a National Championship!
                      So yes, puckdrop 14 has a point in that when we criticize, and there is certainly plenty to focus on at times, we need to keep in mind that there are those who might not understand the love and reasoning behind our frustrations......UNH is a great place to spend your hockey career! We might not be Minnesota, Wisconsin nor BC but we have one of the most beautiful campuses, a solid fan base, a tradition in women’s hockey and a dedicated family that care for every player that wishes to be a Wildcat for life! 😉👍🥅🏒

Comment

Originally posted by zoofer View Post
                        puckdrop 14 makes a valid point, in that despite our disappointment in the teams second half of the season, the continued coaching questions and the repetition of poor if any systematic play, keep in mind that yesterday you were able to watch our Alumni in the 2 biggest venues for women’s hockey! Jonna Curtis and MJ Pelletier were selected for the NWHL Allstar game, while Kacey Bellamy continues to do her Alma Mater proud wearing the USA emblem! My point is that if you ask any UNH hockey Alum, woman or man, despite the decline of our programs, there is nowhere else they would rather have played!! I have vocalized who and why I believe this has occurred but no one I know would trade their UNH experiences for a National Championship!
                        So yes, puckdrop 14 has a point in that when we criticize, and there is certainly plenty to focus on at times, we need to keep in mind that there are those who might not understand the love and reasoning behind our frustrations......UNH is a great place to spend your hockey career! We might not be Minnesota, Wisconsin nor BC but we have one of the most beautiful campuses, a solid fan base, a tradition in women’s hockey and a dedicated family that care for every player that wishes to be a Wildcat for life! 😉👍🥅🏒
                        Thank you. Now this gives me a much better vibe about UNH and the potential it has to be where it once was. Let the administration deal with what needs to be fixed with the program and keep supporting the girls.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          Thank you. Now this gives me a much better vibe about UNH and the potential it has to be where it once was. Let the administration deal with what needs to be fixed with the program and keep supporting the girls.
                          https://goblackbears.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/stats/2019-20/university-of-new-hampshire/boxscore/8661

Comment

Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                            https://goblackbears.com/sports/womens-ice-hockey/stats/2019-20/university-of-new-hampshire/boxscore/8661

UNH has not lost a game since their walk home from Orono
                            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
                              UNH has not lost a game since their walk home from Orono
                              False....slow slide into the abyss...coach Witt must win more....loss to BU hurts, tie to lowly Merrimack..... when you only play 10 players all the time you will get the same results...and the players get so tired at the end....and they take the same penalties as the past 3 seasons...and they KNOW they just get to keep on playing regardless.....then the other players just throw in the towel....lets review that coaching record that she gets such a large salary from UNH for:
                              Yale
                              02-03 9 W 20L 2 T
                              03-04. 12 W 16 L 3 T
                              04-05. 16W 15 L 1 T
                              05-06. 11W 15 L 5 T
                              06-07. 15 W 14 L 2 T
                              08-09. 12 W 16L 1 T
                              09-10. 11 W 14L 6 T
                              Not employed as a coach 2010-2013
                              UNH
                              14-15 10W. 23L 3 T
                              15-16. 11W 24L. 1 T
                              16-17. 14W 19L 2 ZT
                              17-18. 14W 15L. 7 T
                              18-19. 13W 17 L. 6 T
                              19-20. 15W 13 L 4 T with BU and BC to go.....could this be her 3rd year out of 14 years as a D1 coach where she manages to eek out one more win than a loss? Lets watch...but Im not betting on it. She can change the bio page on her resume to say she "guided the wildcats to their first winning season since the dark ages".....her brand of dump and chase and shoot anything possible at the net and look for garbage goals does not work. ...power play with slap shot from the point hasn't scored since lord knows when....Did it ever occur to her that other players can work a power play??...24/12/19/15/10/25/6/4...keep trotting them out there coach...I think most of your seniors had the same or more points when they were freshman (other than 24)...where is the development?

Comment

Originally posted by epic powder View Post
                                False....slow slide into the abyss...coach Witt must win more....loss to BU hurts, tie to lowly Merrimack..... when you only play 10 players all the time you will get the same results...and the players get so tired at the end....and they take the same penalties as the past 3 seasons...and they KNOW they just get to keep on playing regardless.....then the other players just throw in the towel....lets review that coaching record that she gets such a large salary from UNH for:
                                Yale
                                02-03 9 W 20L 2 T
                                03-04. 12 W 16 L 3 T
                                04-05. 16W 15 L 1 T
                                05-06. 11W 15 L 5 T
                                06-07. 15 W 14 L 2 T
                                08-09. 12 W 16L 1 T
                                09-10. 11 W 14L 6 T
                                Not employed as a coach 2010-2013
                                UNH
                                14-15 10W. 23L 3 T
                                15-16. 11W 24L. 1 T
                                16-17. 14W 19L 2 ZT
                                17-18. 14W 15L. 7 T
                                18-19. 13W 17 L. 6 T
                                19-20. 15W 13 L 4 T with BU and BC to go.....could this be her 3rd year out of 14 years as a D1 coach where she manages to eek out one more win than a loss? Lets watch...but Im not betting on it. She can change the bio page on her resume to say she "guided the wildcats to their first winning season since the dark ages".....her brand of dump and chase and shoot anything possible at the net and look for garbage goals does not work. ...power play with slap shot from the point hasn't scored since lord knows when....Did it ever occur to her that other players can work a power play??...24/12/19/15/10/25/6/4...keep trotting them out there coach...I think most of your seniors had the same or more points when they were freshman (other than 24)...where is the development?
                                Have to agree with Epic on this.....used the same 8/9 forwards all year - they havent scored and wont score. Witt simply changes those 8/9 around!! have 2 other forwards who can compete with half the forwards who are getting all the playing time....but in Witts mind lets use slower players who may eventually score someday... Lets face it there is not alot of Hockey IQ on this team...which is strange because of the amount of Sr.s?? but then the SR.s took 5 of the 7 penalties this weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X