No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
    ...If "who we thought he was" ends up being synonymous with "better than Ruck" it's a net W.
    Interestingly, Ruck had 28 saves on 30 shots in a 3-2 win for Colorado College over Minnesota
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      Interestingly, Ruck had 28 saves on 30 shots in a 3-2 win for Colorado College over Minnesota
      Agree. Ruck was a pretty decent goalie. We won Hockey East Championship with him a few yes back & he was solid throughout.
      I don’t think Pantano will be as good as Ruck, & if he does end up being that good (and with our current set D corps), we’ll be a pretty solid team. Until then the question in G remains to be seen.

Changing gears, UMass is off tonight so it’ll be just their 2nd gm in 5 days versus our 3rd. Whomever the G is Tues, expect a lot of shelling.
      GO NU HOCKEY
      Always bullish on the future.
      We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Mella is in for AJV, who I'm not sure even got a shift yesterday, so same difference. Pantano in net again.

Comment

4pm gm just ended. Box score says 2-1 NU, final (again).
          Would be curious to hear from folks there today as well. They’ll be figuring things out a while with the new faces, but can’t argue with Ws.
          GO NU HOCKEY
          We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

Originally posted by northeastern View Post
            4pm gm just ended. Box score says 2-1 NU, final (again).
            Would be curious to hear from folks there today as well. They’ll be figuring things out a while with the new faces, but can’t argue with Ws.
            No scoring until the third period, just like yesterday Union scored first. NU did come back with goals but unlike yesterday, Union was called for a penalty with a lil over 2 minutes left so not so much end of game drama tonight. NU just seemed to be a combo of being too cute and lethargic on both games. By the second period of both games we were clearly more on top of things but had to convert on blown plays by Union. Reffing was even, Pantano didn't have much in the way of challenges. The goal on Friday, anyone would give up, (terrible clear behind the goal line).
            Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
            —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by CommAvHusky View Post
              No scoring until the third period, just like yesterday Union scored first. NU did come back with goals but unlike yesterday, Union was called for a penalty with a lil over 2 minutes left so not so much end of game drama tonight. NU just seemed to be a combo of being too cute and lethargic on both games. By the second period of both games we were clearly more on top of things but had to convert on blown plays by Union. Reffing was even, Pantano didn't have much in the way of challenges. The goal on Friday, anyone would give up, (terrible clear behind the goal line).
              thank you. UMass will be a real test at each position, not just goaltending.
              Go Huskies
              GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Some thoughts from live at this weekend's games.

The Huskies were the better team, when they wanted to be. When they brought enough intensity, they were able to control the puck and set up shop in the Union zone. Unfortunately, there were stretches where they sat back. In particular, the first period on Friday and the first part of the third period on Saturday. The NU offense and power play was like an overly attractive secretary - it looked good, but didn't accomplish much. Some great tape-to-tape passing, but not enough good quality scoring chances on net. It didn't feel like Hanson stole any from them.

At the other end, Union did a better job of getting pucks in dangerous spots near the net. Pantano looked okay - nothing great, but he made the saves he was supposed to make. I thought they dodged a bullet a few times in the third period on Friday, Union set up some nice shots to the far post and while Craig was moving across, they didn't put these on net. He had a really nice poke save on Saturday in the first period. The Huskies defense looked solid, again, when they wanted to be. They were a little lazy skating back a few times. And caught on counterattacks too. I came away cautiously optimistic about Pantano - as I said earlier, maybe they don't need him to be amazing and steal games, just don't lose them. 1 GAA in each of the first two is a nice start. Defensemen - please do NOT blindly flick the puck towards the net when you're in the corner, that's how Union's goal on Friday happened, you set them up better than they could've.

Buecheler and Kesselring impressed me. Big guys who played smoothly and seemed as if they'd been playing at this level for a while. Kesselring and van Riemsdyk are big dudes. I expect BvR to camp out in front of the net and bang in some rebounds this year. Ryan Shea looks like a senior leader who is very confident moving forward with the puck. Filipe led by example, by going into the corners hard at times when his teammates didn't seem to. Madden still looks like a guy who needs to put on some muscle. He still tries that drag move too much, and defenders will just stand him up and knock him down. Hughes had a great burst of speed on his goal on Saturday along the boards, just passed it underneath the goalie.

A lot of it was what you'd expect in week one - not everything is clicking along yet. I get that. But the schedule gets a lot tougher very soon, and they'll need a more consistent effort in those, otherwise better teams will make them pay. The defense did a good job especially in game two of keeping Pantano clean.

The experience - I've been to Union for an NU game once before (showing my age, Joe Vitale had the tying goal). The place was mostly full, and there were plenty of NU fans scattered about on Friday. Few on Saturday. The place doesn't get too loud - a few "Let's go U" cheers from the old timers, otherwise the students over in the corner quietly sit there. Their band needs some help - the kid on the drum is really excited about his role and has a great time banging away but it overpowers the rest of the sound. A nice clean facility with friendly people. Even the little kid ahead of me who tried taunting us until his mother told him that might not be a good idea - at which point I thought, hmmm as a 19 year old I might've been stupid enough to respond.

The band played "Stacy's Mom" during the intermission, and there's a big banner behind the goal for a sponsor, "NORTHEASTERN Fine Jewelry" - it made us feel right at home.

As always, glad to be able to do Northeastern things with Northeastern people. An opportunity that is few and far between when you live 450 miles away and usually watch the games on a computer screen. Go Dogs.
                Last edited by McBain75; 10-13-2019, 04:36 PM.
                Let's Go Huskies!

Northeastern University '02

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post

The Huskies were the better team, when they wanted to be. When they brought enough intensity, they were able to control the puck and set up shop in the Union zone. Unfortunately, there were stretches where they sat back. In particular, the first period on Friday and the first part of the third period on Saturday. The NU offense and power play was like an overly attractive secretary - it looked good, but didn't accomplish much. Some great tape-to-tape passing, but not enough good quality scoring chances on net. It didn't feel like Hanson stole any from them.

At the other end, Union did a better job of getting pucks in dangerous spots near the net. Pantano looked okay - nothing great, but he made the saves he was supposed to make. I thought they dodged a bullet a few times in the third period on Friday, Union set up some nice shots to the far post and while Craig was moving across, they didn't put these on net. He had a really nice poke save on Saturday in the first period. The Huskies defense looked solid, again, when they wanted to be. They were a little lazy skating back a few times. And caught on counterattacks too. I came away cautiously optimistic about Pantano - as I said earlier, maybe they don't need him to be amazing and steal games, just don't lose them. 1 GAA in each of the first two is a nice start. Defensemen - please do NOT blindly flick the puck towards the net when you're in the corner, that's how Union's goal on Friday happened, you set them up better than they could've.

Buecheler and Kesselring impressed me. Big guys who played smoothly and seemed as if they'd been playing at this level for a while. Kesselring and van Riemsdyk are big dudes. I expect BvR to camp out in front of the net and bang in some rebounds this year. Ryan Shea looks like a senior leader who is very confident moving forward with the puck. Filipe led by example, by going into the corners hard at times when his teammates didn't seem to. Madden still looks like a guy who needs to put on some muscle. He still tries that drag move too much, and defenders will just stand him up and knock him down. Hughes had a great burst of speed on his goal on Saturday along the boards, just passed it underneath the goalie.

A lot of it was what you'd expect in week one - not everything is clicking along yet. I get that. But the schedule gets a lot tougher very soon, and they'll need a more consistent effort in those, otherwise better teams will make them pay. The defense did a good job especially in game two of keeping Pantano clean.

The experience - I've been to Union for an NU game once before (showing my age, Joe Vitale had the tying goal). The place was mostly full, and there were plenty of NU fans scattered about on Friday. Few on Saturday. The place doesn't get too loud - a few "Let's go U" cheers from the old timers, otherwise the students over in the corner quietly sit there. Their band needs some help - the kid on the drum is really excited about his role and has a great time banging away but it overpowers the rest of the sound. A nice clean facility with friendly people. Even the little kid ahead of me who tried taunting us until his mother told him that might not be a good idea - at which point I thought, hmmm as a 19 year old I might've been stupid enough to respond.

The band played "Stacy's Mom" during the intermission, and there's a big banner behind the goal for a sponsor, "NORTHEASTERN Fine Jewelry" - it made us feel right at home.

As always, glad to be able to do Northeastern things with Northeastern people. An opportunity that is few and far between when you live 450 miles away and usually watch the games on a computer screen. Go Dogs.
                  I couldn't have said it better myself. There was a lot more chirping with certain Union fans on Sunday, (and I do remember the Vitale goal 12 years ago).
                  Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.
                  —H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by McBain75 View Post

this was awesome to read, thank you for taking the time.
                    GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                      With just a tad more than 48 hours to go before the puck drops on a new season, the time finally has come to open a new season thread for the defending Beanpot and Hockey East champions.

“Reload” isn’t a word often associated with the Boston collegiate hockey teams located south of Commonwealth Ave. but it certainly applies to Northeastern this year. Mainstays of the last two glory years like Lincoln Griffin, Brandon Hawkins, and Patrick Schule, not to mention the incomparable Jeremy Davies and Cayden Primeau have moved on, to be replaced by prized recruits like forwards Aiden McDonough, Riley Hughes, and Neil Shea along with defensemen Jayden Struble, Mike Kesselring, and Jeremy Bucheler, and goaltender Connor Murphy.

Augmenting the matriculating recruits are grad transfers Craig Pantano (Mack) in goal and Brendan Van Riemsdyk (UNH) up front. (Husky fans of a certain vintage are sure to have culture conflict over BVR but nothing that some early wins won’t fix.) Additionally, proven NU veterans like Ryan Shea and Matt Filipe should help balance the rookie potential with championship experience.

The big question during the offseason has been how to replace all-everything Primeau, the answer to which is…you don’t. But a presumably stronger, faster, more mobile defense should cut down on the number of shots that reach the Pantano/Murphy combination. NU hasn’t had much trouble scoring goals over the past two years and that should continue. But the newcomers up front, if they live up to expectations, should put the heat on some upperclassmen who skated regular shifts last year.

It shouldn’t take long to figure out where things stand. Although ranked 14/15 in the pre-season national polls and picked to finish fourth in the league, the Huskies play seven of their first 11 games against pre-season Top Ten teams, including #4 UMass (three times), #6 Providence (twice) and #7 St. Cloud (twice).
                      Nice thread title. I love Fountains of Wayne!

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                        Nice thread title. I love Fountains of Wayne!
                        Thanks! Try this version: https://news.northeastern.edu/2018/0...h-the-beanpot/
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Camera work is a little rough in the 1st so far. Always seems like that at the start of the season
                          Last edited by njdevscup30; 10-15-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by njdevscup30 View Post
                            Camera work is a little rough in the 1st so far. Always seems like that at the start of the season
                            ..yes, but hopefully made up a bit by the 2 tv play by play guys.
                            they’re pretty good.
                            GO NU HOCKEY

Comment

Poor UMass guy gets a penalty for breaking his own stick

Comment

Oh and announcers think Filipe was held out of first period for disciplinary reasons

Comment

Working...
                                X