No announcement yet.

Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
    Don’t take it that nu is appreciably worst. But

State school
    Better history
    Better alumni...

...And what year was the last one nu even won a game in the NCAA tournament??...
    State School? If you’re trying to imply that state schools are inherently better than private schools, I don’t follow the logic. Sure, there are come great state schools and some crappy private schools but if you put any credence in the USNWR college rankings, the Top 100 is dominated by private schools. In fact, NU and BU are tied (and going to OT?) at #40. UVM is #121. So, your point is?

Better history? Agree that UVM has a longer history by a century or so but better? Depends on how you measure it. I, for one, would never question UVM’s long and enduring history as one of the nation’s great party schools, which has no doubt contributed to notable contributions in the field of Animal Husbandry.

Better alumni? By what measure? More former NHLers (edge to UVM)? Or alumni in general (not just current or former pros) who put their money where their mouths are and aren’t bashful about pulling their checkbooks out to support the hockey program. I’d bet my mortgage that the NU program is on much sounder financial footing than is the case at UVM.

And there were three NCAA tournament wins in 1982. But I do concede the paucity of recent NCAA Tournament wins, for which I duly show shame.
    Last edited by Split-N; 04-11-2020, 08:14 PM.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

• Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Better alumni? By what measure? More former NHLers (edge to UVM)? Or alumni in general (not just current or former pros) who put their money where their mouths are and aren’t bashful about pulling their checkbooks out to support the hockey program. I’d bet my mortgage that the NU program is on much sounder financial footing than is the case at UVM.
      My dad worked at Northeastern for 15+ years and was at a position directly under a Dean/VP level. He had a really good relationship with Madigan and couldn’t have higher things to say about someone as him. The administration is a much different story.

All that said, the hockey team is not on as firm of footing as you’d believe. The only reason the football team was discontinued instead of the hockey team was the football team was losing more money. It was between the 2 programs. Luckily the hockey team has produced, people have gone to games and the ice rents. If it faults and the team becomes uncompetitive again, they’ll be tough to survive. The administration does not feel sports is an incentive it will lose significant money on to attract non athletes to attend the university.

There is not a significant alumni population supporting the hockey team, frankly it’s fundraising support is pretty bleak.

Comment

• Re: Northeastern Huskies 2019-20: Reloaded...and Still in Love with Stacy's Mom

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
        My dad worked at Northeastern for 15+ years and was at a position directly under a Dean/VP level. He had a really good relationship with Madigan and couldn’t have higher things to say about someone as him. The administration is a much different story.

All that said, the hockey team is not on as firm of footing as you’d believe. The only reason the football team was discontinued instead of the hockey team was the football team was losing more money. It was between the 2 programs. Luckily the hockey team has produced, people have gone to games and the ice rents. If it faults and the team becomes uncompetitive again, they’ll be tough to survive. The administration does not feel sports is an incentive it will lose significant money on to attract non athletes to attend the university.

There is not a significant alumni population supporting the hockey team, frankly it’s fundraising support is pretty bleak.
        I am curious about how long ago did you come upon your unaudited accounting of the hockey team’s financial condition. Was it before the Fern Flaman Fund was created, before donors endowed the Head Coach’s position?
        Did you come upon this misinformation prior to Jim Madigan’s becoming the HC? You must be aware of his years of experience raising funds for DMSB and his incredibly broad number of friends and contacts among the alumni, the faculty, friends of the University, and members of the American and Canadian hockey community. I seriously doubt that three consecutive Beanpot championships has caused the fundraising to become what you described as “pretty bleak!”

Comment

This is all about hockey. Nothing with us news rankings. Nothing against student alumni. All hockey.

Hockey hockey hockey
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

and sometimes it's about more than hockey.

nice story

https://www.bostonherald.com/2020/04..._medium=social
            GO NU HOCKEY
            Always bullish on the future.
            We don't always win Hockey East or the Beanpot (#trilogy).. but when we do.. we are the Champions

Comment

The Football team was on the chopping block for years. Never heard hockey was in trouble. I don't believe this even for a second. All sports lose money. Unless you are in big time college football in a major conference. They all lose, every hockey team in the nations loses money on its program.

Comment

Bit of an eyebrow raise that Vermont did not name its coach over the weekend. Info leaked from a direct person of knowledge said that Keefe was ahead by a hair and decision was being made Saturday. Wonder if there is indecision within the admin.

Comment

...All that said, the hockey team is not on as firm of footing as you’d believe. The only reason the football team was discontinued instead of the hockey team was the football team was losing more money. It was between the 2 programs. Luckily the hockey team has produced, people have gone to games and the ice rents. If it faults and the team becomes uncompetitive again, they’ll be tough to survive. The administration does not feel sports is an incentive it will lose significant money on to attract non athletes to attend the university.

With respect, I think you're working from very old data. Alumni support (both ex players and others) for the hockey program has never been higher. And to my knowledge, the hockey program was never on the chopping block. Football got axed because of 1) no acceptable home field and no prospect of getting one and 2) The fact that football--even at the 1AA/FCS level--had become such a financial arms race that NU had no interest in competing and could never win. I hated to see football go but it was the right decision.

And referring to "the administration" is applying a very broad brush. Certainly there are academics and assorted administrators who feel that competitive athletics and academics are incompatible but there are others in the administration, including some highly respected academics, who feel otherwise.
                  Last edited by Split-N; 04-13-2020, 12:45 PM.
                  "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

New transfer from Vermont.

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...kies-uvm-ncdc/
                    "Never tell me the odds"

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
                      *&@#^ What a joke!

Comment

That's unfortunate. He will have to sit out for a year won't he?

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                          With respect, I think you're working from very old data. Alumni support (both ex players and others) for the hockey program has never been higher. And to my knowledge, the hockey program was never on the chopping block. Football got axed because of 1) no acceptable home field and no prospect of getting one and 2) The fact that football--even at the 1AA/FCS level--had become such a financial arms race that NU had no interest in competing and could never win. I hated to see football go but it was the right decision.

And referring to "the administration" is applying a very broad brush. Certainly there are academics and assorted administrators who feel that competitive athletics and academics are incompatible but there are others in the administration, including some highly respected academics, who feel otherwise.
                          Without respect, sigx15 may have been fed by Northeastern as a child, but from his previous posts we know he is a self confessed BC fan. Maybe his Dad left before his son could take advantage of the employee tuition benefit, or more likely, he couldn't get past admissions. That alone does not mean he's stupid, as we know ll how hard it is to gain admittance to NU. However, spewing unverified and negative tales of the hockey program is not the deed of a particularly bright individual. It seems more likely to be an emotional expression of a jealous individual with an axe to grind. Another spoiled Fanboy! Beanpot Envy!

Comment

• Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
                            That's unfortunate. He will have to sit out for a year won't he?
                            Correct. Eligible starting 2021
                            "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

I thought maybe with the coaching change he could move without sitting out. They need a forward to replace Madden and could use another depth guy.

Comment

Jozefek receives a medical waiver, will return for a 5th year

http://northeasternhockeyblog.com/ge...skies-beanpot/
                                "Never tell me the odds"

Comment

Working...
                                X