Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    Someone with more hockey knowledge, does Tech's lack of depth at center hurt our offensive attack?
    I won't claim to have more hockey knowledge than anyone, but I'd guess the the short answer is Yes. You can plug the gaps with wings, but without natural centres you will probably be losing more draws than you win and the wings will have an adjustment period before their positioning and responsibilities are habitual. Not saying it can't be done, and I think the biggest thing is to have good chemistry. If that comes with three wings, great.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Decent first period, but did not get back to it until the third. Hoping Saretsky and Halonen can get it back going again tonight. Reitmeier's line was humming along in the first period last night creating chances.

Still cannot believe the refs upped the call to a major on the Buckley check. The puck was leaving his possession down the ice, but he stepped up and made a shoulder check.

So 2:00 for interference would be the only justifiable call. Then, they do the mandatory review and after watching the video up the call to a major. Totally wrong and unjustified.

I liked the D tonight, I thought they were the bright spot.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
        Decent first period, but did not get back to it until the third. Hoping Saretsky and Halonen can get it back going again tonight. Reitmeier's line was humming along in the first period last night creating chances.

Still cannot believe the refs upped the call to a major on the Buckley check. The puck was leaving his possession down the ice, but he stepped up and made a shoulder check.

So 2:00 for interference would be the only justifiable call. Then, they do the mandatory review and after watching the video up the call to a major. Totally wrong and unjustified.

I liked the D tonight, I thought they were the bright spot.
        mandatory review?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

I finally got to watch a game in total and I thought it was possibly a charge as he was pretty far away when he started. Otherwise, I could not find any justification for a contact to the head call. I didn't see when any contact was made to the head, but the guy was really low and went lower just before the impact.
          I thought Mankato was the better team, but that wasn't the brightest call imho.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            mandatory review?

obligatory? checking for major?

Comment

Well watched Mike Hastings comments about the games and he just indicated two good games that Mankato executed enough to sweep the series.

I am still encouraged by the team overall depth, but the discussions of the lack of a pure playmaker, dominant scorer occur when you struggle to score the 3 goals necessary to win games.

Bliss, Broetzmann, Parrottino, Pietila, Saretsky, Halonen, Ganie, and Reitmeier are the skilled forwards on this team.
              They need to take some chances and try to get some odd men rushes each game. During the Mel era we scored off the rush regularly.
              Offense comes from defense, but not if the entire D and line is not working to create odd man chances. The crew was complaining about dump and chase hockey this weekend. I think the lack of an outlet from Mankato may have been the reason, as I still do not think of Tech as a dump and chase team.
              Look at what Northern is doing, they have replaced Rockwell and Loggins and are humming. These guys mentioned above have the same level talent, but are not getting the results yet.

Smith and Misiak are the Bulldogs that get the puck off the faceoff and in the corners.

The D played well this weekend, using all but Ford and Kilunen.
              I can't wait for the battle of the UP the next two weekends. Lake State is struggling with Defense and goaltending, might be a good time to see them for confidence builder, but we better
              be ready for NMU with our best efforts. Tech have played BG and Mankato tough, but did not feel comfortable that the team was able to control the game.

The teams of the past had great chemistry with the likes of Neville and Baltus playing key roles amongst the more skilled players.
              I think this team has the same level talent, just need to be patient and get them all playing as 5 man units again.
              Last edited by Huskiefan906; 11-10-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Looking at the season as a whole, scoring is the big problem however credit must be given to the blue line and in net. Over the last five games against BGSU, the Whioux and Mankato, Tech gave 13 goals in those five games. For the season, we have three goalies with save percentages of 0.915, 0.923, 0.926 (0.922 average) and have posted 1.54, 2.05 and 2.16 GAA (1.98 average). Those are numbers that can win you the McNaughton and more... if you can find some other guys to put the puck in the opposing net.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                  Looking at the season as a whole, scoring is the big problem however credit must be given to the blue line and in net. Over the last five games against BGSU, the Whioux and Mankato, Tech gave 13 goals in those five games. For the season, we have three goalies with save percentages of 0.915, 0.923, 0.926 (0.922 average) and have posted 1.54, 2.05 and 2.16 GAA (1.98 average). Those are numbers that can win you the McNaughton and more... if you can find some other guys to put the puck in the opposing net.
                  I personally would prefer a more wide open type of game, but I thought Saretsky did well and was in position to score multiple times. I do think we continue to get better and in the first game we did a good job on the forecheck which has been a weakness. The PP still is a concern.

Comment

I saw Chris Brooks on TV. He was nice but man, he could smile a bit more!.. And Donahue too! They looked like they had just had their wisdom teeth pulled without novocaine.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I saw Chris Brooks on TV. He was nice but man, he could smile a bit more!.. And Donahue too! They looked like they had just had their wisdom teeth pulled without novocaine.
                      I have no problem with their demeanor immediately after a 2-1 loss.

I'd be more concerned if they were jovial and didn't care about the outcome of the game.

Yes, they did have parts of their game of which they should be optimistic, but moral victories are not what we're looking for. I, and hopefully they, expect more from this team and dissatisfaction should follow a game/series like that.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        I have no problem with their demeanor immediately after a 2-1 loss.

I'd be more concerned if they were jovial and didn't care about the outcome of the game.

Yes, they did have parts of their game of which they should be optimistic, but moral victories are not what we're looking for. I, and hopefully they, expect more from this team and dissatisfaction should follow a game/series like that.

Agreed. We have yet to play a consistent 60 minutes of Tech hockey. We are playing good enough D to win, but our O isn't there yet. Hopefully we can bang home a few goals.

Comment

After playing the first 3 games of the year Ray has sat 4 of the next 6 I believe.

Captain is a healthy scratch 4 of 9 games........ Wow! Can't believe this is only surprising to me.

I can not remember seeing one healthy scratch on an assistant let alone a captain at any level. He mentioned when he named Ray there may be times he would sit, but half the time? If your a scratch you can't even be effective in the room, your leader of your team can't really even contribute off the ice. What message does this send about the coaches regard for the leadership of the team?

Personally, I think we are better with Ray in the lineup, and if he is your leader he should play and help you win. If not, then why is he captain? SMH....

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Checkmate View Post
                            After playing the first 3 games of the year Ray has sat 4 of the next 6 I believe.

Captain is a healthy scratch 4 of 9 games........ Wow! Can't believe this is only surprising to me.

I can not remember seeing one healthy scratch on an assistant let alone a captain at any level. He mentioned when he named Ray there may be times he would sit, but half the time? If your a scratch you can't even be effective in the room, your leader of your team can't really even contribute off the ice. What message does this send about the coaches regard for the leadership of the team?

Personally, I think we are better with Ray in the lineup, and if he is your leader he should play and help you win. If not, then why is he captain? SMH....

Thoughts?
                            I think there are plenty of ways he can be an effective leader without playing and at this point I don't blame Joe for picking a captain like Ray. I think its just as important having a leader that is showing the effort it takes in practice even from a guy that isn't playing.

Maybe he's wrong to have given him the C instead of an A but I don't really have a problem with this especially when Shawhan has talked about it this way from the beginning.
                            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Thoughts?
                              I admittedly don't know enough about the situation on why Brice was named captain, or why he's a scratch. But with my limited knowledge, I find it hard to believe he would be the captain, or even an alternate, if the dressing room wasn't so screwed up last season.

And I don't believe you need a letter to be a leader on or off the ice. I'm hoping they have a couple of those guys that are in the lineup.

Comment

Thoughts?
                                When Michigan State won the NCAA title in 2006-7, their captain was Chris Lawrence. He was a 4th line plumber who scored one goal all season, and wasn't an automatic lineup choice. He was just the personality that the guys needed. I'm viewing Brice as the same type, and knowing both of them personally there are a lot of similarities. It can work, it's just not what anyone is used to.

Comment

Working...
                                X