Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    Looking at the schedule for the teams in front of us in the standings, it's going to be tough to go past any of them. We might go by Bemidji, but Alaska is tough, BG is tough, NMU is a possibility and might come down to the last weekend. I think we can plan on being on the road.
    MTU really needs to get healthy and go on a roll, especially after this weekend. Eight straight games against FSU, UAH and LSSU...they really need to go 7-1, 8-0 to have a chance at home ice while the other top 6 teams beat up on each other
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
      Depends on where the road takes you. I wouldn't want to go to Fairbanks

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      UAF's two fewer games are going to be telling. Here's my long term prediction of what the point totals will be going into the final weekend of the regular season:

69 - Minnesota State
      53 - Northern
      52 - Bemidji
      51 - Bowling Green
      ---------------------
      49 - Michigan Tech
      43 - Alaska

That's assuming that the Huskies get 6 out of 12 points combined in their 2 road series at Bemidji and Ferris. I'm counting on sweeps in the rest. That puts Tech in the hunt for home ice the final weekend.

Because of the struggles of the bottom 4 teams, it's going to take a record number of points to get first round home ice. 4th place in the past 3 years was at 50, 49, and 44 - all of those would end up on the road in this race.
      Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 01-16-2020, 03:58 PM.

Comment

My prognostications for the final standings - I just looked at the remaining schedules and gave it a SWAG:

1-Mankato (75 points)
        2-Northern (57)
        3T-Tech (52)*
        3T-Alaska (52)*
        3T-BGSU (52)*
        6-Bemidji (49)
        7-Lake State (31)
        8-Ferris (23)
        9-Anchorage (19)
        10-Huntsville (7)

* I'm my scenario this is how the tiebreaker places the three teams tied for 3rd.

I also have Tech and Northern splitting the final weekend. If Tech could sweep, they would switch places.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          My prognostications for the final standings - I just looked at the remaining schedules and gave it a SWAG:

1-Mankato (75 points)
          2-Northern (57)
          3T-Tech (52)*
          3T-Alaska (52)*
          3T-BGSU (52)*
          6-Bemidji (49)
          7-Lake State (31)
          8-Ferris (23)
          9-Anchorage (19)
          10-Huntsville (7)

* I'm my scenario this is how the tiebreaker places the three teams tied for 3rd.

I also have Tech and Northern splitting the final weekend. If Tech could sweep, they would switch places.

I can’t see Kato finishing with 75 points. That means 11-1 from here on out, when we have 4 games with BSU (They’ll nick us at least once) and a series at BGSU, whom we’ve never swept. Throw in a tough series with NMU and I can’t see us surpassing 68 or 69 points
          Last edited by purpleinnebraska; 01-16-2020, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            I can’t see Kato finishing with 75 points. That means 11-1 from here on out, when we have 4 games with BSU (They’ll nick us at least once) and a series at BGSU, whom we’ve never swept. Throw in a tough series with NMU and I can’t see us surpassing 68 or 69 points
            I had them splitting with BGSU. Figured they would sweep NMU at home. I'll have a better feel for BSU after this weekend, but the couple games I've seen them play I didn't think they had enough to knock you off. If you're right, Mankato still walks away with it, but depending on who beats them 2-6 would get shaken up.

Comment

It’s only one period, but Bemidji is a lot better team right now. They played better than us 5 on 3, with a shorty to rub it in (I’ll admit they were pretty soft goals). Better wake up, and quickly.
              Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                It’s only one period, but Bemidji is a lot better team right now. They played better than us 5 on 3, with a shorty to rub it in (I’ll admit they were pretty soft goals). Better wake up, and quickly.
                I wouldn't go that far to say they are a "a lot better team" I would just say they have energy and showed up to play today.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                  I wouldn't go that far to say they are a "a lot better team" I would just say they have energy and showed up to play today.
                  Those are a couple attributes of a good team.
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

Is this the same team that won GLI??
                    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

#5 spending six minutes in the sin bin has not helped.

Real disappointed, have the family here watching (UMD/ gopher fans) and we have fallen flat. There is no energy. Whole team is just hooking, grabbing, trying to hang on to something.
                      Go Huskies!

Comment

Well over and over again their guys cruised down the slot all alone. Most of the game was played in our end and we did not get to loose pucks first. Not a team who is looking to play in the post season. As the coach said, reading our press clippings too much.
                        You have to Give Bemidji credit they were able to turn us over a lot and a faceoff win in our end gave them two or three shots before we could go the other way. Once we got down there we got one shot and that's it.
                        I did think their goals were on the soft side, but you know we have to play better. We gave them chance after chance.
                        Last edited by manurespreader; 01-17-2020, 10:12 PM.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                          As the coach said, reading our press clippings too much
                          Press clippings ain’t too good. We are now firmly in 6th place in the WCHA. At risk of playing on the road,
                          Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                            Press clippings ain’t too good. We are now firmly in 6th place in the WCHA. At risk of playing on the road,
                            Michigan Tech has certainly struggled with the other "Top 6" teams winning just 35% of the time...worst among the top 6 but they have 8 straight games after today against the bottom 4 which they're undefeated against. Hopefully they get the win tonight but ultimately playoffs position will be decided by that 8 game stretch against the bottom 4 while alot of the current 5 beat up on each other.

NOTE: As of right now MTU has the fewest # of games against the bottom 4 out of the top 6, all the rest have played at least 7 games against them while MTU only has 4...thats a huge difference in conference standings.

Comment

I can't see us getting by Mankato for the MacNaughton this year. And an at large bid is looking questionable.
                              Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                              "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                              Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                              Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                                I can't see us getting by Mankato for the MacNaughton this year. And an at large bid is looking questionable.
                                at large bid is pretty much unlikely. gonna need someone to upset MSU to get 2 teams in from the WCHA, unless NMU beats Cornell today and wins most of their remaining games.

Comment

Working...
                                X