Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I made it pretty for you with the PRE html tag.

+---------------------+-------+--------------------+-------+
    | date_time | goals | name | goals |
    | 2019-10-06 15:05:00 | 7 | Robert Morris | 0 |
    | 2018-12-01 19:07:00 | 7 | Bemidji State | 2 |
    | 2018-11-24 19:07:00 | 7 | Alaska | 2 |
    | 2017-03-04 19:07:00 | 8 | Lake Superior | 0 |
    | 2016-10-14 19:07:00 | 7 | Alabama-Huntsville | 3 |
    | 2016-03-11 19:07:00 | 7 | Alaska | 1 |
    | 2016-02-20 19:07:00 | 9 | Bemidji State | 2 |
    | 2015-02-14 19:07:00 | 10 | Alaska-Anchorage | 0 |
    | 2015-01-31 19:07:00 | 11 | Alabama-Huntsville | 1 |
    | 2015-01-02 19:00:00 | 8 | Wisconsin | 1 |
    | 2014-02-21 19:07:00 | 7 | Northern Michigan | 4 |
    | 2014-02-08 17:07:00 | 10 | Alabama-Huntsville | 4 |
    | 2013-02-12 19:07:00 | 8 | Northern Michigan | 2 |
    | 2012-10-13 19:07:00 | 8 | Lake Superior | 4 |
    | 2012-02-04 19:07:00 | 7 | Minnesota State | 3 |
    | 2011-10-28 19:07:00 | 7 | Denver | 2 |
    Love hanging 7+ goals on Denver, MnSU, Swissconsin, and best of all NMU.

Any thoughts on why RM didn't use Kapelmaster on Sunday?

What are the chances of us improving our offensive output this year?

Comment

Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
      What are the chances of us improving our offensive output this year?
      We already did.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

We've got a lot to improve. Our breakout was not quick enough, we turned the puck over too much. We weren't all that great on the pp. We missed a lot of passes behind people and we didn't see the ice very well. Our freshemen were ok, but not wonderful, though I thought the defense was much better than last year.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Tech fans - Congrats on your wins last weekend! I'm doing a 10-day Michigan/Wisconsin/Pennsylvania sport trip with a pal of mine and we are coming to the 'Nooks games this Friday and Saturday. We fly into Detroit Thursday morning then we'll be driving our rental car up through Michigan on I-75 and hopefully arriving in Houghton on Friday afternoon. I got a bunch of Houghton food/drinking tips from Davyd83 and TheDee on another thread (thanks btw) and am now looking for suggestions on places to eat, see and stay at on our drive from Detroit to Houghton. My first time ever in Michigan so hit us with iconic stuff...oh yeah, you should also probably know that we aren't broke but we are cheap.

Go Nanooks!

Comment

Originally posted by hawerchuk View Post
            Tech fans - Congrats on your wins last weekend! I'm doing a 10-day Michigan/Wisconsin/Pennsylvania sport trip with a pal of mine and we are coming to the 'Nooks games this Friday and Saturday. We fly into Detroit Thursday morning then we'll be driving our rental car up through Michigan on I-75 and hopefully arriving in Houghton on Friday afternoon. I got a bunch of Houghton food/drinking tips from Davyd83 and TheDee on another thread (thanks btw) and am now looking for suggestions on places to eat, see and stay at on our drive from Detroit to Houghton. My first time ever in Michigan so hit us with iconic stuff...oh yeah, you should also probably know that we aren't broke but we are cheap.

Go Nanooks!
            Sounds like you already have the Copper Country cuisine taken care of and I cannot help with anything south of Houghton County, sorry.

But I would like to welcome you to Michigan (more specifically the UP and most specifically the Copper Country). Safe travels and enjoy your trip.

Go Tech Gold!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Go Nanooks!
              You should stop at the Huron Bakery in Marquette for the Hoho Cupcakes, they really are something to behold my friend

Comment

Go Nanooks!
                How long do you want your trip to take? It takes about 9 hours to get to Houghton from Detroit with one stop for biobreak/gas. Are you making the trip in one day or two?

Food
                Zehnder's or Bavarian Inn Frankenmuth for a chicken dinner if you want a big meal and have some time.
                Krzysiak's House Restaurant in Bay City for Polish food and polka music if you have time.
                Basement of Zehnder's for tasty German-American baked goods.
                Clyde's Drive-In in St Ignace is a good stop for burgers.
                Suzy's Pasty in St Ignace or Letho's Pasties outside of St Ignace along US 2. (A pasty is a dry meat pie that is associated with the UP. There are many restaurants that serve them and "the best" is a much debated topic.)
                Gustafson's Smoked Fish in Moran for fresh local smoked fish and jerky (Another area of much discussion who has the best smoked fish/jerky)

Stops
                Frankenmuth, MI It is a fun American tourist trap idea of how Germany was. It also has the worlds largest Christmas store Bronner's.
                Alexander Henry Park Mackinaw City
                Any business parking lot on the south side of US 2 in St Ignace for views of the Mackinaw Bridge.
                Cut River Gorge US 2 great view of the bridge and walk down to the lake
                Any roadside park along US 2 by Lake Michigan.
                Garlyn Zoo off US 2 if you like animals or want to see a tourist trap with animals.
                Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore outside of Munising (This one will take a lot of time. It is beautiful, but is best by boat, might be too late in the season.)
                Lower Harbor Ore Dock in Marquette is an old iron ore dock.
                Old Ford Wood Factory in Alberta. Ford sourced much of the wood for the Model T from the UP. The Ford Family also owns a lot of land in the UP. I don't think tours are offered, but interesting bit of industrial history.
                Bishop Baraga Shrine between L'Ance and Baraga if you are into early great lakes explorers.

Tips
                Get gas in Gaylord or St. Ignace. Between towns in the UP there are very few places to stop, and if there are, the gas is 10-20+ cents per gallon more.
                There are places to stop in the lower peninsula, but they lack the character you find in the upper peninsula (UP).
                Don't get too creative or adventurous with food choices in the UP. Food quality is hit and miss in the UP.
                On US 2 DO NOT go over 60mph unless you want a ticket. The highway patrol is strict about it and monitors. There are a lot of places for them to hide. Also be careful passing on US 2. There are a lot of head on crashes because people are trying to pass on long sweeping curves. Be patient and there will be a passing lane in a few miles.
                Last edited by Lost_Husky; 10-08-2019, 03:37 PM.

Comment

How long do you want your trip to take? It takes about 9 hours to get to Houghton from Detroit with one stop for biobreak/gas. Are you making the trip in one day or two?
                  Wow, that is an amazingly helpful response (thanks to the other posters as well) and I almost guarantee you just saved me at least one speeding ticket. We'll get to Houghton on the Friday so let me know if you have any suggestions on places to stay on the way up.

Comment

Be careful passing on US 2. Be patient and there will be a passing lane in a few miles.
                    It should be noted that you can easily pass anywhere between Seney and Shingleton as you can see the oncoming car 15 minutes in advance.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Food
                      Zehnder's or Bavarian Inn Frankenmuth for a chicken dinner if you want a big meal and have some time.
                      Krzysiak's House Restaurant in Bay City for Polish food and polka music if you have time.
                      Basement of Zehnder's for tasty German-American baked goods.
                      Clyde's Drive-In in St Ignace is a good stop for burgers.
                      Suzy's Pasty in St Ignace or Letho's Pasties outside of St Ignace along US 2. (A pasty is a dry meat pie that is associated with the UP. There are many restaurants that serve them and "the best" is a much debated topic.)
                      Gustafson's Smoked Fish in Moran for fresh local smoked fish and jerky (Another area of much discussion who has the best smoked fish/jerky)

Stops
                      Frankenmuth, MI It is a fun American tourist trap idea of how Germany was. It also has the worlds largest Christmas store Bronner's.
                      Alexander Henry Park Mackinaw City
                      Any business parking lot on the south side of US 2 in St Ignace for views of the Mackinaw Bridge.
                      Cut River Gorge US 2 great view of the bridge and walk down to the lake
                      Any roadside park along US 2 by Lake Michigan.
                      Garlyn Zoo off US 2 if you like animals or want to see a tourist trap with animals.
                      Pictured Rocks National Lake Shore outside of Munising (This one will take a lot of time. It is beautiful, but is best by boat, might be too late in the season.)
                      Lower Harbor Ore Dock in Marquette is an old iron ore dock.
                      Old Ford Wood Factory in Alberta. Ford sourced much of the wood for the Model T from the UP. The Ford Family also owns a lot of land in the UP. I don't think tours are offered, but interesting bit of industrial history.
                      Bishop Baraga Shrine between L'Ance and Baraga if you are into early great lakes explorers.

Tips
                      Get gas in Gaylord or St. Ignace. Between towns in the UP there are very few places to stop, and if there are, the gas is 10-20+ cents per gallon more.
                      There are places to stop in the lower peninsula, but they lack the character you find in the upper peninsula (UP).
                      Don't get too creative or adventurous with food choices in the UP. Food quality is hit and miss in the UP.
                      On US 2 DO NOT go over 60mph unless you want a ticket. The highway patrol is strict about it and monitors. There are a lot of places for them to hide. Also be careful passing on US 2. There are a lot of head on crashes because people are trying to pass on long sweeping curves. Be patient and there will be a passing lane in a few miles.
                      I was in the UP this past weekend and US 2 is closed somewhere west of St Ignace. The detour heading west is at I-75 exit 352, Hwy 123. I wasn't heading that way so I don't know how much of a detour it is. Could probably still get off I-75 and onto US 2 at St Ignace, stop at Clydes, hop back on I-75 and then take the official detour back to US 2 (or take 123 all the way to M 28 and then west instead of detouring back to US 2).

Comment

There are lots of great spots to visit in the lower, And better places to eat also. If you have time, visiting Mackinac island is very good.
                        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Heading to Mackinaw City via Traverse City, Charlevoix, and Petoskey also gives you a better overall view of Michigan, but as mentioned get to the UP as soon as possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                            I was in the UP this past weekend and US 2 is closed somewhere west of St Ignace. The detour heading west is at I-75 exit 352, Hwy 123. I wasn't heading that way so I don't know how much of a detour it is. Could probably still get off I-75 and onto US 2 at St Ignace, stop at Clydes, hop back on I-75 and then take the official detour back to US 2 (or take 123 all the way to M 28 and then west instead of detouring back to US 2).
                            Without your side jaunt to Clyde's, the detour on Worth Road only adds another 3 miles. The other issue is that there's another construction site between the detour and M-117. I've been using M-123 to M-28 all summer since they finished the new pavement, and it's a better ride minus the lake scenery. If it's your only trip, it's probably more worth it for the views to get back to US-2.

Gas up in Gaylord and you should be able to make it all the way to Baraga. Gas on the reservation is currently $2.39 at the Pines Convenience just north of town.

Comment

M28 is superior to US2 in more ways than one. First off, you are able to enjoy Lake Superior. Stop at scenic beaches and soak up the unseasonable cold the weekend is to bring. Marquette is the unofficial Capital of the U.P. and right on M28. Although they sport a less than superior college Hockey team, Marquette is enjoyable where you can find a coffee Contrast Coffee Co.) or brew to warm up. Yes to Frankenmuth stop for wienerschnitzel and gas in Gaylord. Don't stop at the McDonalds in Newberry...for anything. Next stop, Houghton!
                              The U.P. should be the 27th star on Old Glory.

Comment

Wow, that is an amazingly helpful response (thanks to the other posters as well) and I almost guarantee you just saved me at least one speeding ticket. We'll get to Houghton on the Friday so let me know if you have any suggestions on places to stay on the way up.
                                Depends on how much you want to see in the lower. Almost any of the hotels in Mackinaw City (more touristy) or St Ignace are good for a nights sleep. Audie's in Mackinaw City is good for breakfast. Both towns put you about 4 hours from Houghton. If you want to hit up Mackinaw Island, that would be the place to stay.

If you don't want to go to the island and want to enjoy Lake Superior, there is a B&B outside of Curtis called Chamberlin's Ole Forest Inn. There isn't much around there, but it puts your about 3 hours drive to Houghton.

Being from Alaska, do you want to see nature or more city stuff? If you want to do more city, Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn might be interesting. It is an industrial museum. Greenfield village is connected which shows life in the late mid to late 1800's. Most people from Michigan like how remote, rustic, and more natural the UP is, but I am wondering if you want to see more urban things. If you want to do more urban, let us know.

As for beverages, if you like IPAs you need to have Bell's Two Hearted Ale. It is the gold standard of classic American IPAs. If you are into New England IPAs (Hazy and more fruity) M-43 is the one to get. If you want a great stout, Founder's Breakfast Stout. At least while you are in the Lower Peninsula. (Another hotly debated topic.) While in Wisconsin anything by New Glarus is very good.

Comment

Working...
                                X