Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    #busleague is just one character off from #bushleague, but what's fair is fair. I used to hate to fly, which is ironic.

GFM
    where is the like button on this forum?
    In Mel We Trust(ed)

Comment

• Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
      are you at all excited at that prospect at all, playing against Joe? Doesn’t matter. Doesn’t matter. Just another team....
      Mel sounds like a 80’s Russian coach. If you can’t get your emotions up for this game, you’ll end up coaching a 7-11-2 team that has all the facilities and finances to win every night.

Awesome.
      Go Huskies!

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Well, I like winning but without looking at the scoreboard, we got beat. We were slow moving the puck, we had problems with the forecheck and overall we were not the better team.
        It's nice to win, but we have to use what we learn here to get better. What we have now is not good enough.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Anyone else hear Suzanne's interview with Dirk? Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Illitches are going to demand a larger slice of the GLI pizza (if you will) in the next contract, claiming that it costs significantly more to operate the new place compared to Joe Louis Arena. Two more years on the current contract.

My guess is this tournament will continue to be the last two days of the year so Olympia can hold two events on New Year's Eve.

Comment

Alex Nordstrom had a great December with 8 points (5G, 3A) in 8 games for Fargo. He's now 64th in USHL scoring, and 8th among rookies, with 17 points (8G, 9A).

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
              My guess is this tournament will continue to be the last two days of the year so Olympia can hold two events on New Year's Eve.
              We talked about it at the games yesterday. If LCA has a non-ice event and the GLI to host between Xmas and New Year's, it is in their best interest to host the bouncy ball game, rasslin' match or whatever before the GLI so they are already switched to hockey mode before the Wings annual NYE game. I don't see that changing.

But it would be nice to see it on the 29-30th because by the end of the GLI the ice looked pretty rough. I didn't stick around for the Wings game, but maybe they were able to clean it up a little bit in the couple hours before the Wings played.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                Anyone else hear Suzanne's interview with Dirk? Reading between the lines, it sounds like the Illitches are going to demand a larger slice of the GLI pizza (if you will) in the next contract, claiming that it costs significantly more to operate the new place compared to Joe Louis Arena. Two more years on the current contract.

How much profit does Michigan Tech currently make from hosting the GLI?

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                  How much profit does Michigan Tech currently make from hosting the GLI?
                  I heard they don't make a lot of money but they get a lot exposure and use it as a major alumni event.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    I'm sure everyone knows on here but it's worth reiterating. Mel left for personal reasons. it wasn't the school or the fans or the money.
                    Honestly i don't understand the anger. I appreciate him reinvigorating the MTU program. And although I have never met her I REALLY appreciate his wife uprooting form AA and moving to Houghton. Face it - that was a personal sacrifice. I still love beating Michigan. The only thing better is ... coming back from a deficit TWICE IN ONE GAME !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by model94 View Post
                      Honestly i don't understand the anger. I appreciate him reinvigorating the MTU program. And although I have never met her I REALLY appreciate his wife uprooting form AA and moving to Houghton. Face it - that was a personal sacrifice. I still love beating Michigan. The only thing better is ... coming back from a deficit TWICE IN ONE GAME !!!!
                      Well said. I have zero actual knowledge but I would not be surprised if MTU and Mel had an agreement that he would be here until the UM position opened up. All cards on the table day 1. You have to act like you are going to stay forever if you have any hope of recruiting.

In the end, Both parties benefitted from the time he was here.

Comment

Originally posted by oldish husky View Post
                        Well said. I have zero actual knowledge but I would not be surprised if MTU and Mel had an agreement that he would be here until the UM position opened up. All cards on the table day 1. You have to act like you are going to stay forever if you have any hope of recruiting.

In the end, Both parties benefitted from the time he was here.
                        I'd give part of my anatomy if Marv told Tech he would leave to go back to Skunkville. Dr. Sanragret may have suspected it, but there was no agreement. I guarantee it.

That being said, he left a big recruiting mess for Tech to clean up. Joe & Co. are doing a good job working through it and coming out ahead.

I think Joe will have this program in the national conversation on a regular basis, depending on how the league shakes out in 2021.

I like this team!

Comment

Originally posted by model94 View Post
                          I can't see how there could be anger, when I was at Tech, one of the years they went 4-34. Those were some dark times...and I thought they would never turn around the program.

Pearson did the impossible IMO, and Shawhan isn't letting them slip (although obviously room for improvement). Always good to beat Michigan as well. I hate the timing of the GLI now though, I was actually back in Detroit for Christmas, but putting the GLI where it is doesn't work as well.

Comment

Originally posted by guinness View Post
                            I can't see how there could be anger, when I was at Tech, one of the years they went 4-34. Those were some dark times...and I thought they would never turn around the program.

Pearson did the impossible IMO, and Shawhan isn't letting them slip (although obviously room for improvement). Always good to beat Michigan as well. I hate the timing of the GLI now though, I was actually back in Detroit for Christmas, but putting the GLI where it is doesn't work as well.
                            I get why some people are annoyed, the recruiting piece and MAYBE not thanking Michigan Tech (that's weak to me) but the level of bitterness that some have is simply embarrassing. He lifted the program back from the bottom of college hockey to a respectable program that has chances to win their conference and make the NCAA tournament. Some people seem to think he was going to stay in Houghton forever which was never to be the case. Time to get over it so that you're not so bitter about that.

Sucks about GLI being moved but that's how it goes. Really looking forward to coming back to LCA for the Frozen Four in April.
                            tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

• Originally posted by Biddco View Post
                              I get why some people are annoyed, the recruiting piece and MAYBE not thanking Michigan Tech (that's weak to me) but the level of bitterness that some have is simply embarrassing. He lifted the program back from the bottom of college hockey to a respectable program that has chances to win their conference and make the NCAA tournament. Some people seem to think he was going to stay in Houghton forever which was never to be the case. Time to get over it so that you're not so bitter about that.

Sucks about GLI being moved but that's how it goes. Really looking forward to coming back to LCA for the Frozen Four in April.
                              It isn’t so much anger as it is bitter taste in our mouth. He is an alum of Tech which rightly or wrongly obligates a person to conducting themselves to the highest standard when it comes that university. A lot of us feel Merv hasn’t done that.

When he retires, I will treat him as the coach who revived Tech Hockey and hope the university names something in his honor.

Comment

Congrats Tech on the GLI win.

Comment

Working...
                                X