Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    So let's say it's now October and the virus has subsided. But I haven't had it yet. Do you think I'm going to go to a Hockey game? I'm exposed there and being there is no vaccination yet, I'm not showing up.
    I understand the NFL is considering playing with no or very few fans this coming fall.
    it all depends on other things like anti-virals, whether or not other treatments are legit working, etc. Although I'm not going bankrupt over this thing either
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

I understand the NFL is considering playing with no or very few fans this coming fall.
      Unless the government has eased restrictions to allow all fans to attend I don't think games will be played. If the owners are going to have to pay players and facility staffing, they are going to want full stadiums. If they don't think they will have reasonable attendance, I think they would rather not play the games at all to avoid piling up financial losses.
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
        Unless the government has eased restrictions to allow all fans to attend I don't think games will be played. If the owners are going to have to pay players and facility staffing, they are going to want full stadiums. If they don't think they will have reasonable attendance, I think they would rather not play the games at all to avoid piling up financial losses.
        I think NFL and most of them would rather have a season without fans than have no season. Can you imagine the ratings for live sports right now? Just imagine it in fall if we're still doing this?
        Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
          Just imagine it in fall if we're still doing this?
          I expect that we will be doing some level of social distancing, although maybe not shelter-in-place/stay-at-home, until Thanksgiving.

GFM
          Geof F. Morris
          UAH BSE MAE 2002
          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            I think NFL and most of them would rather have a season without fans than have no season. Can you imagine the ratings for live sports right now? Just imagine it in fall if we're still doing this?
            I had not thought of that aspect. However those TV dollars are fixed based on previously signed contracts and they are only a small portion of the revenue a game generates. The fans in the stands are a big part of the revenue. Maybe they could make it up with increase advertising rates as I'm sure that is all negotiated. I do agree the leagues (especially the NFL with much fewer games) would have huge TV ratings at this point if we're all stuck at home. However if the order is still to stay in place, how is the NFL going to deem themselves "essential"? If the NFL teams are playing why can't Billy's little corner bar or the local pizza shop be open?

Comment

I had not thought of that aspect. However those TV dollars are fixed based on previously signed contracts and they are only a small portion of the revenue a game generates. The fans in the stands are a big part of the revenue. Maybe they could make it up with increase advertising rates as I'm sure that is all negotiated. I do agree the leagues (especially the NFL with much fewer games) would have huge TV ratings at this point if we're all stuck at home. However if the order is still to stay in place, how is the NFL going to deem themselves "essential"? If the NFL teams are playing why can't Billy's little corner bar or the local pizza shop be open?
              I could see some kind of live events being held for players/fans who have had the virus. Depending on who has all had it, the sports leagues may go to modified rules/players playing at one time and fans to those who have already recovered. (There are Covid-19 antibody tests and the UK is talking about "passports" for people who have recovered having restrictions removed from them.) Fan logistics of control would be difficult, but I think it could be possible for leagues to have a season in front of some level of fans. They could realistically argue as time goes by and more people recover shelter in place doesn't make sense for them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                I could see some kind of live events being held for players/fans who have had the virus. Depending on who has all had it, the sports leagues may go to modified rules/players playing at one time and fans to those who have already recovered. (There are Covid-19 antibody tests and the UK is talking about "passports" for people who have recovered having restrictions removed from them.) Fan logistics of control would be difficult, but I think it could be possible for leagues to have a season in front of some level of fans. They could realistically argue as time goes by and more people recover shelter in place doesn't make sense for them.
                the problem with "some level" of fans without no restrictions means season ticket holders and those that already purchased single game tickets are likely hosed if they aren't already cleared to attend. I have been extremely disappointed in the way Minnesota United has handled all of this. Hoarding my money for games that were supposed to happen this month and refusing to issue refunds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                  1 million have caught the virus. That sounds like a lot. There are 7.58 billion people in the world. Thus far, only 0.013% of the population has been exposed to COVID19. Now consider that the world population is increasing at 1% annually.... We are actually reducing the overall-infected population percentage each day! (Relax, this is just some dark humor)

That said, I don't think we are going to ’outrun’ this in the short time, where a meaningful part of the population had immunity.

However, I am paid up on FloTV and I do expect service this fall.
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

I believe a majority of NFL revenue is from TV and sales of gear. The actual attendance is maybe 1/3 of the total. But to go back to hockey, I just have a hard time seeing some sort of season until mid-February when maybe we will have a vaccination. I wonder if our elders have figured out or at least planned on what to do and in a bigger way, who thinks school will start in the fall as usual?
                    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

I believe a majority of NFL revenue is from TV and sales of gear. The actual attendance is maybe 1/3 of the total. But to go back to hockey, I just have a hard time seeing some sort of season until mid-February when maybe we will have a vaccination. I wonder if our elders have figured out or at least planned on what to do and in a bigger way, who thinks school will start in the fall as usual?
                      college or K-12?

Comment

I think attendance is less than a 1/3

Comment

Yes, but attendance is the part that goes into the OWNERS' pockets.

We also need to keep in mind that this virus has and can mutate and could get someone sick again in the future, just like the common flu. So I don't necessarily believe it will be all green lights and roses even if you can prove you were sick in the past and recovered.

Comment

Yes, but attendance is the part that goes into the OWNERS' pockets.We also need to keep in mind that this virus has and can mutate and could get someone sick again in the future, just like the common flu. So I don't necessarily believe it will be all green lights and roses even if you can prove you were sick in the past and recovered.
                            It all goes into the owners pocket, you can include the concessions and items bought in/around the stadium.

Hopefully this virus does not mutate like the flu, as the flu mutates very quickly and regularly.

Corona has been around a very long time, various version, some caught in a "simple" cold

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                              It all goes into the owners pocket, you can include the concessions and items bought in/around the stadium.

Hopefully this virus does not mutate like the flu, as the flu mutates very quickly and regularly.

Corona has been around a very long time, various version, some caught in a "simple" cold
                              I think what he meant was I believe tickets/concessions are what isn't shared between owners. *Tickets are shared between the 2 teams playing in the NFL

Comment

Yes, but attendance is the part that goes into the OWNERS' pockets.

We also need to keep in mind that this virus has and can mutate and could get someone sick again in the future, just like the common flu. So I don't necessarily believe it will be all green lights and roses even if you can prove you were sick in the past and recovered.
                                It has already mutated several times.
                                I am hopeful that some genius scientist will come up with a treatment that, even though you get it, you won't die. If that were the case then we could all get back to going to games even though there is no vaccine yet.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X