Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
    I don't believe that the broadcast has a view not available to the officials. Based on what I saw on Twitter, I'm assuming the refs felt his trailing skate was off the ice. So he was no longer in contact with the neutral zone when the puck entered and it became an offsides play.
    The NMU coaches have their own camera that they use along with the broadcast video. Their spot in the pressbox is right next to the announce location. Their staff was looking at a definitive freeze showing the puck in the zone and Broetzman's left skate still on the blue line. They were all laughing about it. Since it isn't part of the arena feed, the referees don't have access to that shot.

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
      The NMU coaches have their own camera that they use along with the broadcast video. Their spot in the pressbox is right next to the announce location. Their staff was looking at a definitive freeze showing the puck in the zone and Broetzman's left skate still on the blue line. They were all laughing about it. Since it isn't part of the arena feed, the referees don't have access to that shot.
      And in the end karma won

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
        NMU television guys said they had a clear look which the refs don’t have access to, and saw his back leg was onside. Why in the world aren’t all the views available to the refs? They’re left to just take a guess?
        NMU didn’t have a TV feed. The same announcers for TV6/Fox UP thss as t have covered most of the Tech/NMU games since the TV broadcasts began a few years back.

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

I'm glad we won. It will be tough next week. Don't think that we are the only team with valid complaints because Fairbanks definitely has some. The coach let the ref have it big time after the game. BG is playing the best quality games, since more than a month ago. Johnson is a difference-maker for them.

You have to be good enough to win despite the refs. I'm glad we were.
          MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I'm glad we won. It will be tough next week. Don't think that we are the only team with valid complaints because Fairbanks definitely has some. The coach let the ref have it big time after the game. BG is playing the best quality games, since more than a month ago. Johnson is a difference-maker for them.

You have to be good enough to win despite the refs. I'm glad we were.
            Are we going to BG for sure? I think Tech will win if Matt J keeps it up. He was solid the last two+ weeks. Any other single player or two can have an off game but not Jurusik, or we’re out.
            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

• Originally posted by geezer View Post
              Are we going to BG for sure? I think Tech will win if Matt J keeps it up. He was solid the last two+ weeks. Any other single player or two can have an off game but not Jurusik, or we’re out.
              If Bemidji wins you guys head to Mankato. If lake wins you get to come to BG.

Comment

Go Lakers!!

Comment

• i would be all for tech hosting the championship game in 2 weeks

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                    "The NMU guys"
                    Not you JJM on the TV broadcast. I had the NMU radio guys on since I lost the WKMJ feed and Dirk.

Davy does a very good job with the play by play. I won't expect a huge reaction from him for an opposition goal; Yet, I still had to love the almost whisper, unemotional, utter dejection in his voice when Pietila scored.

Comment

Originally posted by Laker Dude View Post
                      i would be all for tech hosting the championship game in 2 weeks
                      I would be all for Tech just being IN the championship game. If Tech somehow got all the necessary help to be hosting the game, might as well just ship us the syrup now because its clearly our year if we get that many breaks in a row.
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

We are going to Mankato.

Comment

I still don't get how there can be video evidence that the 3rd period goal wasn't offsides, (I realize refs couldn't see that), but that would mean there can't possibly be any other angle that gives the refs definitive/conclusive evidence that they got it wrong and it must be overturned. Doesn't WCHA have similar standards to overturn a call as we see in NFL and other leagues?

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                            I still don't get how there can be video evidence that the 3rd period goal wasn't offsides, (I realize refs couldn't see that), but that would mean there can't possibly be any other angle that gives the refs definitive/conclusive evidence that they got it wrong and it must be overturned. Doesn't WCHA have similar standards to overturn a call as we see in NFL and other leagues?
                            I will give them the benefit of the doubt and guess that the video was from a bad angle and made it look offside. As frustrating as it is, that's the way they called it.

As I used to tell my minor players when I coached, if the referee says it was offside, it was offside.

Let's just hope the WCHA has a thorough review and evaluation of the officials after the games and this issue, as well as others, are addressed.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
                              The referees can only use angles provided by the home arena or TV broadcast. I'm sure that someone who was seated on the blue line with their phone would have seen a perfect angle, but unless you're planning on subpoena power for outside sources...

At NMU, the video feed includes two cameras in the pressbox (wide and tight), the low corner handheld, a reverse angle pan-tilt-zoom robotic, and the overheads. But the way that this play in particular developed, only the wide pressbox angle would have seen it. The camera op was behind the play and didn't have a great look. Meantime, the coaches camera is not only on a higher deck, it always shoots much wider.

They also had multiple drive failures in their 3Play replay system this week. That caused more confusion in the control room.

What this is coming down to for me is this: if offside is really becoming this important for replay, then it's time to mandate fixed blue line cameras just like the overheads.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                                Not you JJM on the TV broadcast. I had the NMU radio guys on since I lost the WKMJ feed and Dirk.

Davy does a very good job with the play by play. I won't expect a huge reaction from him for an opposition goal; Yet, I still had to love the almost whisper, unemotional, utter dejection in his voice when Pietila scored.
                                Thanks. You got what I was feeling. Always great to work these game with an all Copper Country broadcast line with two Hancock guys (me & Dirk) on the radio Wings and the Calumet guy (Dave E) in the middle. We all learned a lot about our craft from Bob Olson. Much respect and good luck in Mankato.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X