Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
    Some good thoughts about Tech’s geography. The general population (non-academic) of Houghton / Hancock was fairly old when I attended (long, long ago) and that would be a concern as well.
    Hancock's permanent residents are still predominately older than dirt, probably even more-so than your day.

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Info from as far back as mid-April based on an MTU meeting At the time MTU was planning on to be ready for Fall being a mix of online and face to face classes. What will be announced remains to be seen.

The UP geography offers it's own social distancing showing low numbers. Many of the death numbers are due to infections in nursing homes.

Testing is available on campus, literally doing testing of samples in a bio-med lab that was taken over. Emergency locations have been prepped on the MTU and NMU campuses if needed; ie part of the SDC and I believe Yooper dome in MQT. The new hospital in MQT is smaller than the previous one. The old hospital still stands though not sure what is functional. For Tech, the newer hospital with any capacity is located north of Hancock.

Not sure it is pertinent though it is interesting as there are a fair amount of Chinese professors and a couple of hundred Chinese students that attend Tech.

Remember this hit while classes were in session, and even after going online many students both from MTU and NMU stayed on campus or in Houghton. Anecdotally I have been told many students wanted to stay on campus even against their parents' wishes. Since then new cases have dropped dramatically in MI overall and are still mostly in specific high density areas in the state.

I think much still matters on the governor who recently stated there will not be stadiums full of people allowed come the fall.

I've personally noticed a few things if anyone concurs it would be interesting. Though more people are wearing masks, most do not do so properly and many constantly touch and adjust their masks. Driving has gotten worse, I see people not obeying signs, signals or lanes. This does not include speed limits. Even before the gov started opening things up I noticed many things being done, home remodels, lawn and landscape care, much being done via cash only no other record.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
        Not sure it is pertinent though it is interesting as there are a fair amount of Chinese professors and a couple of hundred Chinese students that attend Tech.
        Considering the US has the most confirmed cases and deaths perhaps you should have worded it thus:

Not sure it is pertinent though it is interesting as there are a vast majority of American professors and thousands of American students that attend Tech.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
          Considering the US has the most confirmed cases and deaths perhaps you should have worded it thus:
          Not sure it is pertinent though it is interesting as there are a vast majority of American professors and thousands of American students that attend Tech.
          Also has most recovered, but raw numbers like that don't mean much.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
            Also has most recovered, but raw numbers like that don't mean much.
            Most recovered is a great statistic. But that is mostly because we have the most cases.

My real point, that I assumed (and wished) I wouldn't have to spell out, is why would you point out Chinese professors and students. What difference does that make?

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
              Most recovered is a great statistic. But that is mostly because we have the most cases.

My real point, that I assumed (and wished) I wouldn't have to spell out, is why would you point out Chinese professors and students. What difference does that make?

I just looked at the Michigan data. Houghton (county) only had 2 cases (out of the 48k in Michigan). Tech is essentially in a perfect isolation zone.

Seems like a much easier situation to control, compared to other campuses.

So, why does Michigan have such a high mortality rate? It’s much, much higher than where I live.

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus/0,9753,7-406-98163_98173---,00.html
              Last edited by Redridge; 05-13-2020, 02:10 PM.
              Go Huskies!

Comment

I just looked at the Michigan data. Houghton only had 2 cases (out of the 48k in Michigan). Tech is essentially in a perfect isolation zone.

So, why does Michigan have such a high mortality rate? It’s much, much higher than where I live.
                Yes Tech is in a good spot right now. The concern is bringing in thousands of students from areas that have been hit harder than the Keweenaw and putting them in tight living quarters and crowded classrooms.

The virus has proven to spread rapidly in nursing homes and prisons with tight living quarters.

I understand that college students are in better general health than seniors in nursing homes. There are more cases (still a low percentage) of younger and otherwise healthy COVID patients and they can very well be asymptomatic carriers that could infect professors and other university employees who could then bring it to the community in general.

It is a tough debate on how to coexist with this virus. In my non-professional opinion we shouldn't be taking unneccessary risks that could cause a second wave that many experts predict could be much worst than the current wave. I don't know what benefit is worth that risk. I guess we will all have to find that risk level for ourselves.

Comment

• Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                  Yes Tech is in a good spot right now. The concern is bringing in thousands of students from areas that have been hit harder than the Keweenaw and putting them in tight living quarters and crowded classrooms.

The virus has proven to spread rapidly in nursing homes and prisons with tight living quarters.

I understand that college students are in better general health than seniors in nursing homes. There are more cases (still a low percentage) of younger and otherwise healthy COVID patients and they can very well be asymptomatic carriers that could infect professors and other university employees who could then bring it to the community in general.

It is a tough debate on how to coexist with this virus. In my non-professional opinion we shouldn't be taking unneccessary risks that could cause a second wave that many experts predict could be much worst than the current wave. I don't know what benefit is worth that risk. I guess we will all have to find that risk level for ourselves.

I get it. There are a limited number of stores, etc in the area. Hard to separate students and old folks. Not trying to stir this debate, just curious why Michigan is having such a hard time.

Those downstate numbers will affect Tech’s opening.
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                    Do you only take bits of info, omitting the "not sure its pertinent" part you left out? There was a break, some people traveled during some not and where travel was.
                    Last edited by giwan; 05-13-2020, 02:49 PM.

Comment

I just looked at the Michigan data. Houghton (county) only had 2 cases (out of the 48k in Michigan). Tech is essentially in a perfect isolation zone.

https://www.michigan.gov/coronavirus...173---,00.html
                      I think you need to look at density for one as you see the county stats. They were going to break it down by zip code BUT that was stopped and not allowed. Though I could be wrong my hunch it might be more telling if that was seen.

Comment

• Originally posted by giwan View Post
                        I think you need to look at density for one as you see the county stats. They were going to break it down by zip code BUT that was stopped and not allowed. Though I could be wrong my hunch it might be more telling if that was seen.
                        10 percent mortality rate (statewide) is independent of population density. And is worse than almost everywhere else, states, other countries...
                        Go Huskies!

Comment

I was being PC

Comment

10 percent mortality rate (statewide) is independent of population density. And is worse than almost everywhere else, states, other countries...
                            It is disappointing that I have to point this out on a Michigan Tech thread, given that Tech students are typically good critical thinkers with good math skills...BUT...the mortality rate is NOT 10% unless the entire population was tested. The reality is that most people are/were never tested unless they had quite severe or significant symptoms. For every tested person confirmed to have the virus, there could be 10 or more people with COVID-19 with milder symptoms who were never tested / confirmed...which would correspond to an actual morality rate of 1% or less.

I'm not trying to downplay the suffering and harsh reality of what this virus is and how it has affected (even ended) many lives, but we have to also think rationally and stop thinking like some of the irresponsible media outlets want us to think with their drama, fear mongering and misleading figures all for the sake of ratings and ad revenue.

Stay smart people. Let's tackle this challenge with real facts like engineers!

Comment

Originally posted by Madison Husky View Post
                              It is disappointing that I have to point this out on a Michigan Tech thread, given that Tech students are typically good critical thinkers with good math skills...BUT...the mortality rate is NOT 10% unless the entire population was tested. The reality is that most people are/were never tested unless they had quite severe or significant symptoms. For every tested person confirmed to have the virus, there could be 10 or more people with COVID-19 with milder symptoms who were never tested / confirmed...which would correspond to an actual morality rate of 1% or less.

I'm not trying to downplay the suffering and harsh reality of what this virus is and how it has affected (even ended) many lives, but we have to also think rationally and stop thinking like some of the irresponsible media outlets want us to think with their drama, fear mongering and misleading figures all for the sake of ratings and ad revenue.

Stay smart people. Let's tackle this challenge with real facts like engineers!
                              Ok, so let's look at the facts. We still don't have enough test based on infectious disease/statistical modeling experts recommendations. Without that, most current data is conjecture at best. What the metadata is suggesting is if you are an older person with pre-existing conditions there is significant risk of serious additional long term health implications or death. Again we can argue about percentages, but without a communicated and agreed standardized way to collect and organize data we will never know the real numbers.

Since we don't know the real numbers, we need to use mathematical models. Based on the data we do have, Covid-19 is considered a highly contagious, highly infectious virus that statistically no one has immunity to. Our scientific community isn't proposing anything that Japan or South Korea (two countries that have managed this much better and longer than we have) didn't do. Fact, wearing a mask (as much as personally I hate it) reduces the spread. Fact, washing your hands and not touching your face lowers your risk of infection. Fact, staying home as much as possible lowers the risk of infection. Fact, social distancing of 6' or 2 meters reduces the risk of spreading the virus. Our health experts and successful foreign countries have recommended these things to manage the virus.

We also have the benefit of learning what works (laying on one's stomach to help breath) and what doesn't (hydroxychloroquine) to improve patient outcomes.

If you want to blame the US media, there is enough on both sides to go around. They have to make money and the easiest way to do that is telling people what they want to hear. I challenge you to look at various states and how other countries are successfully managing and reacting to this. The international scientific community had the same mind and opinion about this and how to stop/manage it. The politicians,... no comment because this is a hockey board and I'm sure someone would be offended, if they aren't already.

Stay safe, look at scientific sources, wear your mask in public, and wash your hands!

Go Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                                Ok, so let's look at the facts. We still don't have enough test based on infectious disease/statistical modeling experts recommendations. Without that, most current data is conjecture at best. What the metadata is suggesting is if you are an older person with pre-existing conditions there is significant risk of serious additional long term health implications or death. Again we can argue about percentages, but without a communicated and agreed standardized way to collect and organize data we will never know the real numbers.

Since we don't know the real numbers, we need to use mathematical models. Based on the data we do have, Covid-19 is considered a highly contagious, highly infectious virus that statistically no one has immunity to. Our scientific community isn't proposing anything that Japan or South Korea (two countries that have managed this much better and longer than we have) didn't do. Fact, wearing a mask (as much as personally I hate it) reduces the spread. Fact, washing your hands and not touching your face lowers your risk of infection. Fact, staying home as much as possible lowers the risk of infection. Fact, social distancing of 6' or 2 meters reduces the risk of spreading the virus. Our health experts and successful foreign countries have recommended these things to manage the virus.

We also have the benefit of learning what works (laying on one's stomach to help breath) and what doesn't (hydroxychloroquine) to improve patient outcomes.

If you want to blame the US media, there is enough on both sides to go around. They have to make money and the easiest way to do that is telling people what they want to hear. I challenge you to look at various states and how other countries are successfully managing and reacting to this. The international scientific community had the same mind and opinion about this and how to stop/manage it. The politicians,... no comment because this is a hockey board and I'm sure someone would be offended, if they aren't already.

Stay safe, look at scientific sources, wear your mask in public, and wash your hands!

Go Tech.
                                So let's say for the sake of argument that we do start classes and we reduce the class sizes and do every social distance recommended thing. The problem is that even with all that, the health care system in Houghton is not prepared to handle very many cases. Even what would be a small number in some downstate county would be horrible in Houghton. Second, Houghton as someone alluded to, would be a great spot for a robust contact tracing scheme. that's what could allow the school to open normally, but honestly, you'd need a lot more testing than we are doing now and it's questionable if this will happen.
                                Back a month ago, all the leaders of the Traverse City and surrounding communities were pressuring the governor to prohibit people from Metro Detroit from coming there for this reason. The community health system would be overwhelmed easily. IMHO that reason hasn't gone away.
                                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Working...
                                X