Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Anything come out of Joe's update show on Thursday? Had planned to just listen to the pod cast but nothing has been posted.

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

FYI, Wayne State, here in Detroit, has announced via an interview with the president of the university that all classes in the fall will be online and that it is highly unlikely students will be on campus.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
        FYI, Wayne State, here in Detroit, has announced via an interview with the president of the university that all classes in the fall will be online and that it is highly unlikely students will be on campus.
        That's discouraging.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
          Anything come out of Joe's update show on Thursday? Had planned to just listen to the pod cast but nothing has been posted.
          Joe put on his diplomat's hat to discuss the transferring players and their reasons for leaving, confirmed but did not name the graduate transfer goaltender, and dispassionately analyzed the potential one-time free transfer rule. Not much of note.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
            That's discouraging.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
            Stories like this make me doubt that we will be watching live hockey in the fall.

Comment

That is a blow to the GLIAC.

Wonder if/when other universities are going to make a similar call.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                That is a blow to the GLIAC.

Wonder if/when other universities are going to make a similar call.
                Indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                  Joe put on his diplomat's hat to discuss the transferring players ...and dispassionately analyzed the potential one-time free transfer rule. Not much of note.
                  Another rule that favors the big schools.
                  "Go play at [small school] for a couple seasons. When you are ready to contribute as a fourth liner at [big school] we'll find you a spot..."
                  Other than back-up goalies that want to be starters, who is going to move in the other direction?
                  Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                  https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                  Originally posted by geezer
                  Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                  Originally posted by manurespreader
                  ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                    "Go play at [small school] for a couple seasons. When you are ready to contribute as a fourth liner at [big school] we'll find you a spot..."
                    Other than back-up goalies that want to be starters, who is going to move in the other direction?
                    Reference the kid from Huntsville that is going to play at mass lowell n4xt year.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                      Great point! Athletes shouldn't be allowed to transfer, penalty free, after their junior year, unless there is a coaching change or they graduate.

I also think you are going to see those big school 3rd and 4th line Soph and Jrs who want to play transferring to schools where there is playing time. There is only so much ice-time to be had.

Where it is going to hurt the smaller schools, if a big school roster is weak. There will be playing time to be had. Any easy way to restock a roster with talent is via transfer.

Given Joe's management of our roster, I think Tech will be fine. We have a core of players with Tech ties who are very unlikely to transfer. Joe isn't afraid to go get transfers and bring them in. Look at Matt J and Ford last year. They were Wisconsin kids and ended up at Tech. Matt J turned into a solid goalie and Ford was a top 4 defender for Tech. The Packy experience was a mixed bag, but you get that out of any recruit. (I have a feeling Joe and staff learned a lot.)

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                        The Packy experience was a mixed bag, but you get that out of any recruit. (I have a feeling Joe and staff learned a lot.)
                        Here is a video of "Pucky" back in the US this past season and stirring the pot once again. The more I see him, the more I think "head case." As he is skating back to the bench on a delayed penalty he checks a player from the opposing team and starts a brawl in the ECHL. Fast forward to 3:47 if necessary (it should start at this point).
                        https://youtu.be/FCdlStKiJoE?t=229
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Eventually, schools like Tech will need to protect scholarships. Have contracts with a non-compete clause, like business recruiting. It’s becoming a business, treat it like one.
                          Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                            Eventually, schools like Tech will need to protect scholarships. Have contracts with a non-compete clause, like business recruiting. It’s becoming a business, treat it like one.
                            Really has been a business just not been treated like one.

Comment

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                              I'm seriously dismayed by this and I think it bodes badly for future teams but having said that, if you are a 3ed line player on a big school team that has tons of guys sitting on the sidelines, do you worry every year who might transfer in and take your slot for next year?

Comment

I'm seriously dismayed by this and I think it bodes badly for future teams but having said that, if you are a 3ed line player on a big school team that has tons of guys sitting on the sidelines, do you worry every year who might transfer in and take your slot for next year?
                                It is all about ice time. There is only so much of it to go around. Unless a player is at the university for a degree, players will move to get ice time.

I'm not too worried about it. Hockey deals with guys going pro. A guy transferring isn't all that different.

Comment

Working...
                                X