Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Honestly, if I were Brice, I think it's time to call an old-fashioned team meeting sans the coaching staff. Something's not working, and I doubt it's coaching.

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

I guess we can look forward to another Joe Shawhan Hour about our "fine young men" who "work extremely hard."

Recruit some frickin' offensive talent!

Comment

I am having a hard time trying to figure it out the current malaise. One item, since Gotz has moved to the left side, his impact has diminished.
        We need to get him back on the right side for Lake State.
        The team is out of sync right now.

This is a good team, need to get back home and "get right"

Tommy Parrottino looks like he has raised him game to another level. He has been a real positive and expect him to increase his numbers greatly for junior and senior years.

Comment

Home ice is officially dead.

The most important series right now is BGSU at Fairbanks. If BG can't make up the gap, I say it's better to tank and end up in Marquette in the 3 vs 6 matchup. That may be the case regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
            I am having a hard time trying to figure it out the current malaise. One item, since Gotz has moved to the left side, his impact has diminished.
            We need to get him back on the right side for Lake State.
            The team is out of sync right now.

This is a good team, need to get back home and "get right"

Tommy Parrottino looks like he has raised him game to another level. He has been a real positive and expect him to increase his numbers greatly for junior and senior years.
            All I can figure is our youth is killing us. Nothing against the seniors. They are doing what they can.

Missing Ford is killing us. We clearly don’t have a/group of D that can replace him.

Hopefully the guys figure it out and this was their wake-up call. Nothing in this league is easy.

Go Tech!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
              Hopefully the guys figure it out and this was their wake-up call. Nothing in this league is easy.

Go Tech!
              The league has more parity than the past, top to bottom the gap is small. We have played the top ranked teams in the country (NoDak, Mankato, Clarkson) with some close, exciting games. We clearly have the talent to play at the top levels.

What is so $%#€ frustrating is that we seem to be getting worse, while others are getting it together. We really only played two good periods of hockey this weekend..

So, I believe the gap is small, but the trend is not good.
              Go Huskies!

Comment

I'm picturing what a player like Max Humitz would add to the Tech roster. Just having one proven goal scorer right now would do wonders for this team.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Honestly, if I were Brice, I think it's time to call an old-fashioned team meeting sans the coaching staff. Something's not working, and I doubt it's coaching.
                  Why do you doubt it’s coaching? I have to think the way he talks publicly is wearing on them...I really hope he takes some responsibility this week instead of blaming the players/millennials.
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

It was a calculated risk going 6x4 to start the 2:00 power play to end regulation.
                    However, with the struggles of the 5x4 power play during the game, it seems to me was understandable. However, maybe pulling the goalie the last minute was the better choice as we lost time immediately with the empty netter.

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
                      Why do you doubt it’s coaching? I have to think the way he talks publicly is wearing on them...I really hope he takes some responsibility this week instead of blaming the players/millennials.
                      If you look at the staff as a whole and compared to other staffs, it's top-notch. Right up at the top. However, the coach can put his foot in his mouth when he speaks. I agree he says things that should not be said though..
                      Our problem is not coaching. Coach Pearson had a way of making it easier to swallow when he would say, " we'll be better next week" .
                      Everyone has bad games, but we seem to have more than our share. I really don't know what it would take to turn things around, but the players have to be ready individually to play every game. I thought last night they figured they could just have a fun practice and win.
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Originally posted by Huskiefan906 View Post
                        It was a calculated risk going 6x4 to start the 2:00 power play to end regulation.
                        However, with the struggles of the 5x4 power play during the game, it seems to me was understandable. However, maybe pulling the goalie the last minute was the better choice as we lost time immediately with the empty netter.
                        I actually cringed when they got that penalty. It just makes it so easy to clear the puck and kill the last 2 minutes fast, and it makes it much easier to take a free shot at the empty net. I would not pull the goalie with a active penalty, because of what happened last night (200’ shot- no icing if you miss)

But I agree it’s not clear cut, especially with our ‘0 for whatever’ PP.
                        Go Huskies!

Comment

BTW; Why wasn’t that a penalty shot?

UAH did not do a replay, but it looked like he unimpedded, and was attempting to shoot the puck
                          Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                            BTW; Why wasn’t that a penalty shot?

UAH did not do a replay, but it looked like he unimpedded, and was attempting to shoot the puck
                            I agree with the minor. He didn't have clear control beyond the defence and fouled from behind.

I'll rewatch the play, but that's how I saw it live.

Edit: After further review, the call on the ice stands. Two minute monor.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by MTUHuskies; 02-02-2020, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Coaching puts the players in the right position to succeed. Players are responsible for execution/finishing off plays. As we all know, our biggest issue is putting the puck in the net.

Joe and staff do need to figure out how to get through to the guys. That said, it isn't all on the coaches. Some of that fire/fight has to come from the guys with letters on. That could be where the "Marchand" comment came from.

Comment

I also sometimes wonder about the effect of his remarks. Things like 'we had a lot of pretenders on the ice last night' and 'maybe I shouldn't have given "C"s and "A"s to the players that I did. Even if he doesn't say a player's name, it's been clear from the context who he's talking about. Even Marv would say "that's on me" when the team wasn't ready or didn't have the right attitude.

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                                Coaching puts the players in the right position to succeed. Players are responsible for execution/finishing off plays. As we all know, our biggest issue is putting the puck in the net.

Joe and staff do need to figure out how to get through to the guys. That said, it isn't all on the coaches. Some of that fire/fight has to come from the guys with letters on. That could be where the "Marchand" comment came from.
                                I'm not sure there is way to spin the 'Marchand' comment ... especially when it is accompanied by a remark about Loughran's 'nice hack'. One question that I have is do any of the other 59 D1 coaches have 'millennials' on their rosters or is Joe the only one who is burdened?

Comment

Working...
                                X