Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
    What was with the question on Joe's show - are there any unknown recruits due to security reasons. What is the submitter asking about?

Finally listened to the Chasing MacNaughton podcast, good listen.
    I think they were talking about keeping recruits a secret so Mel doesn't try to poach them/effect their interest.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      I think they were talking about keeping recruits a secret so Mel doesn't try to poach them/effect their interest.
      Is the previous coach poaching recruits any more of a concern than any other coach now? I'd figure anyone he had a part in recruiting to Tech either followed him by now or they won't. Are there even any of his recruits left that haven't enrolled yet?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

How many rinks from the 2010s do you think you can name?

Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

This week's episode with Dave Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
            This week's episode with Dave Ellis

This one definitely worth the listen. Great episode. Dave is always fun to listen to.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
              Is the previous coach poaching recruits any more of a concern than any other coach now? I'd figure anyone he had a part in recruiting to Tech either followed him by now or they won't. Are there even any of his recruits left that haven't enrolled yet?

I think Evan Orr and Gabe Temple would be the last of who we would call Mel's recruits. I rather doubt either one is in danger of being poached.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                Dickinson has committed to Ohio State.
                I think one of the other two you mentioned is still in play.

Check you messages.

Comment

Originally posted by The Troll mtu86 View Post
                  I think one of the other two you mentioned is still in play.
                  Chris Brooks was in Aberdeen to see the Wings play the Austin Bruins last night. We know his son plays for Austin, but he also got to see Jed Pietila. Also, Aberdeen's captain is 6'3" defenseman Jake Beaune, who is from Livonia and turns 20 this summer. He also captained Team NAHL in the Sirius Junior Cup World Cup last August. Sounds like he could be the kind of player Joe would love.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                    Chris Brooks was in Aberdeen to see the Wings play the Austin Bruins last night. We know his son plays for Austin, but he also got to see Jed Pietila. Also, Aberdeen's captain is 6'3" defenseman Jake Beaune, who is from Livonia and turns 20 this summer. He also captained Team NAHL in the Sirius Junior Cup World Cup last August. Sounds like he could be the kind of player Joe would love.
                    Will be interesting to see if either of those two commit or even the other one you mentioned..

Comment

NMU put themselves squarely in the crosshairs last night. If the Huskies sweep next weekend, they will now finish above their rivals. Who knows where that will put either one of them in the first round.

But consider this scenario.

Fairbanks and BG win their remaining games to both finish with 49 points. By virtue of their fewer losses in conference play, we know that Fairbanks gets the higher seed.

NMU gets a win to split at LSSU, moving them to 47 points. Tech sweeps the final weekend, also accumulating 47. By virtue of a 4-0 record against Northern, the Huskies get the higher seed.

That would make the first round matchups...

(5) Tech at (4) BGSU
                      (6) NMU at (3) Fairbanks

However...with just a split in that last weekend, NMU's point total jumps to 50. And that would mean...

(6) Tech at (3) NMU
                      (5) BGSU at (4) Fairbanks

Scoreboard watching will be amazing next weekend.
                      Last edited by John J. MacInnes; 02-22-2020, 08:11 AM.

Comment

If Northern loses out and LSSU wins out they will both have 44 points with LSSU winning the tiebreaker. I didn't do all the math but I think that would drop Northern to 7th, depending on BGSU and UAF.

Comment

So a trip to Fairbanks is all but off the table now.

The only two scenarios I can come up with that would see it possible are these.

Tech takes exactly 5 points vs NMU
                          Fairbanks sweeps UAA
                          BG gets at least 3 points vs UAH

That makes the final point standings this:

UAF 49
                          NMU 48
                          BGSU (46-49)
                          Tech 46

NMU's magic # to clinch 3rd is 2 points, since they hold the tiebreaker with both Fairbanks and BG. Fairbanks owns the tiebreaker with BG if the Falcons get to 49.

Or this scenario:

Tech sweeps NMU
                          BGSU sweeps UAH
                          Fairbanks takes exactly 5 points from UAA

That makes the final standings:

BGSU 49
                          UAF 48
                          Tech 47
                          NMU 47

Tech would own the tiebreaker with NMU with a 4-0 head-to-head record. BG loses the tiebreaker to both Fairbanks and NMU so must finish clear on points from both to get 3rd. And we've established that NMU owns the tiebreaker with Fairbanks, so Fairbanks must finish with more points to get 4th.

Comment

How does Tech get a series at the Mac?

I could see it ending up with:
                            BGSU 49
                            MTU 47
                            NMU 47
                            UAF 46

Last edited by MTUHuskies; 02-23-2020, 09:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                              So a trip to Fairbanks is all but off the table now...
                              If UAF and BGSU sweep, and NMU only takes two points vs MTU, all three (NMU,UAF,BGSU) end up at 49 points, and I believe UAF would have the tie breaker with a better winning % among the three and take the #3 spot. MTU would then travel to Alaska. Entertaining weekend ahead...who pulls a goalie in OT?

Comment

• Originally posted by mmf View Post
                                If UAF and BGSU sweep, and NMU only takes two points vs MTU, all three (NMU,UAF,BGSU) end up at 49 points, and I believe UAF would have the tie breaker with a better winning % among the three and take the #3 spot. MTU would then travel to Alaska. Entertaining weekend ahead...who pulls a goalie in OT?
                                I'm not sure how you figured Fairbanks has the highest win %.

Northern was 2-1-1 against Fairbanks and 2-0 against BG.

Comment

Working...
                                X