Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
    BTW; Why wasn’t that a penalty shot?

UAH did not do a replay, but it looked like he unimpedded, and was attempting to shoot the puck
    Watched it back. He had nominal control, but the rule is that you have to be clear at the blue line. He was essentially even with the two defensemen, never did get fully clear. I'd support the decision of no penalty shot award.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
      Why do you doubt it’s coaching? I have to think the way he talks publicly is wearing on them...I really hope he takes some responsibility this week instead of blaming the players/millennials.
      I've tried to stay silent this season on this subject but I feel it is mostly coaching! Better figure out how to coach millenials or they'll be looking for another job. They aren't going away. Just ask Mike Babcock!

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

If Joe has problems getting through to the current generation of twenty-somethings, I find it interesting that it's coming out now when he's been here for 5+ years between head and assistant coaching time.

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          If Joe has problems getting through to the current generation of twenty-somethings, I find it interesting that it's coming out now when he's been here for 5+ years between head and assistant coaching time.
          I believe the challenge has been there as long as he has. Probably less noticeable as an assistant. Definitely was there his first year as HC. Masked somewhat by a strong leadership core on the team at the time, mainly Baltus.
          Sounds like Joe is adapting. JSH 3 years ago would have been totally different than today's. Go Huskies!

Comment

• Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
            One question that I have is do any of the other 59 D1 coaches have 'millennials' on their rosters or is Joe the only one who is burdened?
            Joe better figure his sh** out quick because the third in command of that team is an elder millennial who knows how to get Gen Z to win championships.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

• Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
              I believe the challenge has been there as long as he has. Probably less noticeable as an assistant. Definitely was there his first year as HC. Masked somewhat by a strong leadership core on the team at the time, mainly Baltus.
              Sounds like Joe is adapting. JSH 3 years ago would have been totally different than today's. Go Huskies!
              WCHA Preseason Coaches Poll: 5th
              WCHA Preseason Media Poll: 4th

Aren’t they right about where they were expected to be?
              Maybe they just need a coloring book, a puppy and a time out.

Comment

This thread is sort of amusing, because my folks live in Duluth. They keep hoping the UMD Bulldogs will lose, so they will fire Sandelin, because they think he is a horrible coach. They say he keeps saying bad stuff about the team on TV, etc.

Yes, at times I wish Joe would not talk so candidly. But I don’t think he is much different than the majority of the teams, coached by boomers.
                Go Huskies!

Comment

Originally posted by Redridge View Post
                  This thread is sort of amusing, because my folks live in Duluth. They keep hoping the UMD Bulldogs will lose, so they will fire Sandelin, because they think he is a horrible coach. They say he keeps saying bad stuff about the team on TV, etc.

Yes, at times I wish Joe would not talk so candidly. But I don’t think he is much different than the majority of the teams, coached by boomers.
                  I don't have a problem with him talking about them needing to be better, but one thing Mel did was say that the buck stops with him and he needs to figure out how to get through. I don't hear those words from Joe. I don't think he feels that way but the constant harping on millennials is irritating.

As for your question about the penalty vs penalty shot, it wasn't a clean breakaway from what I could tell...
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                    Maybe it is just me, but the two problems this team has are lack of scoring and consistent high level effort. We are not getting out played, we have a good number of shots/scoring chances, good goals/scoring chances against,... Because we aren't scoring goals and losing games we the fan expect us to win, the "normal" mistakes that normally would get glossed over in a win are now big issues. We are 8th in goals/game against at 2.13 and 44th in goals/game for at 2.39.

We have a very young team that struggles to score goals. We don't have a guy/guys that can consistently put the puck in the back of the net. This year's culture seems a whole lot healthier than last year.

If we see the team giving up, there is cause for concern. I'm not seeing that out of this team. They take shifts off, which is "normal" for a young team. Unfortunately, rebuilding is a long process.

Go Tech!

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                      Maybe it is just me, but the two problems this team has are lack of scoring and consistent high level effort. We are not getting out played, we have a good number of shots/scoring chances, good goals/scoring chances against,...
                      I agree, and for this reason I do not think I it is coaching. Joe is putting the boys in positions to succeed, but it's just not happening as often as we would all like to see.

How long can we use inexperience as an excuse? At some point the underclassmen (and upperclassmen for that matter) have to come to the rink ready to play hard for 60 minutes every night.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
                        Maybe they just need a coloring book, a puppy and a time out.
                        It was peacocks a few years ago. I personally think it's a confidence issue driven by too much negative pressure. Why do our players not improve? Name one player since this coaching group took over that took big strides, that finished their senior years with a bang. This team is a perfect example. Young, excited players leading the way. Will they continue the upward trajectory or level off like all upperclassmen. Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by rustedblades View Post
                          It was peacocks a few years ago. I personally think it's a confidence issue driven by too much negative pressure. Why do our players not improve? Name one player since this coaching group took over that took big strides, that finished their senior years with a bang. This team is a perfect example. Young, excited players leading the way. Will they continue the upward trajectory or level off like all upperclassmen. Just my opinion.
                          There are several examples. Alex Smith, Bryce, Rockwell, many of the Sophomores,...

With life, one can be in a growth environment, but if the person doesn't put in the effort or consistently bring it, it doesn't matter what environment they are in. This is a common problem everywhere. That is why Joe always talks about creating a competitive environment. If you know someone could take your spot, you are going to "fight" to keep it. It is the whole iron sharpens iron thing.

That is the beauty of being fan, it is all opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                            There are several examples. Alex Smith, Bryce, Rockwell, many of the Sophomores,...

With life, one can be in a growth environment, but if the person doesn't put in the effort or consistently bring it, it doesn't matter what environment they are in. This is a common problem everywhere. That is why Joe always talks about creating a competitive environment. If you know someone could take your spot, you are going to "fight" to keep it. It is the whole iron sharpens iron thing.

That is the beauty of being fan, it is all opinion.
                            Some time ago I taught young men 22 yrs old to fly jet fighter aircraft. They all ended up fine but learning and improving is not a straight line exercise. Some days they were great and some days I despaired for my life sitting in the back seat.( literally) There is generally a period of learning, some regression, a plateauing out and then additional learning. Everyone learns and implements things at a different rate and has different issues to overcome. Patience is a big help.
                            MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

it's very quiet ... is everyone holding their breath? Game day - Go Huskies!!

Comment

I would love to see Tech come out and throw their weight around with LSSU and really get the crowd behind them. I think 2-3 solid hits and an early goal could have the JMSIA really rockin' and the adrenaline will kick in from there. It's Carni Boys!!
                                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                                Originally posted by geezer
                                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                                Originally posted by manurespreader
                                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Working...
                                X