Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
    It has already mutated several times.
    I am hopeful that some genius scientist will come up with a treatment that, even though you get it, you won't die. If that were the case then we could all get back to going to games even though there is no vaccine yet.
    https://www.mystateline.com/health/c...virus-vaccine/
    Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
    B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
    CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
    ECAC:
    HEA: UMass
    NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
    Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

It's all about testing and treatment, man. We don't have enough of either. I worry that our false negative rates on everyone's tests —*that's not chucking spears at the CDC and not everyone else —*are going to screw us. False positives are fine, since they'll be generally asymptomatic. Usually you want to skew against alpha error in medicine[1], because that's expensive. Here, though, beta error is your enemy.

GFM

[1] The counter-example being the PSA test and mammogram, which are starting to become laughingstocks
      Geof F. Morris
      UAH BSE MAE 2002
      UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
        It's all about testing and treatment, man. We don't have enough of either. I worry that our false negative rates on everyone's tests —*that's not chucking spears at the CDC and not everyone else —*are going to screw us. False positives are fine, since they'll be generally asymptomatic. Usually you want to skew against alpha error in medicine[1], because that's expensive. Here, though, beta error is your enemy.

GFM

[1] The counter-example being the PSA test and mammogram, which are starting to become laughingstocks
        AMEN Brother!. and some of the tests for antibodies that were developed have such a high false rate that they are being thrown out in Italy and elsewhere as not acceptable.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Robbie Beydoun is going to be a Wisconsin Badger, per his Instagram account.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
            Robbie Beydoun is going to be a Wisconsin Badger, per his Instagram account.
            I wish him well and have 2 questions.

How many starts will he get?

How long until Joe finds a replacement?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t worry, we are well aware of the irony that we are getting Matt Jurusik’s backup.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                I wish him well and have 2 questions.

How many starts will he get?

How long until Joe finds a replacement?

idk

Joe has 2 goalies lined up for next year. I assume he's trying to bring in a grad transfer so that he doesn't end up with 3 goalies that are freshmen/sophomores.
                Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

AMEN Brother!. and some of the tests for antibodies that were developed have such a high false rate that they are being thrown out in Italy and elsewhere as not acceptable.
                  It is faster and easier to fix, validate, and mass institute an antibody test than it will be to find a vaccine or treatment that works against a virus. To date, our anti-viral tool box is limited to say the least.

As of March 24th, the data suggests the virus isn't mutating quickly, which is good news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...5b5_story.html

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                    It is faster and easier to fix, validate, and mass institute an antibody test than it will be to find a vaccine or treatment that works against a virus. To date, our anti-viral tool box is limited to say the least. As of March 24th, the data suggests the virus isn't mutating quickly, which is good news. https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...5b5_story.html
                    It is easier and faster to get an antibody test done. Clinical tests are set at a lower threshold.

Anything type of vaccine will need to go through the usual clinical trials and will take months. I don't see the FDA easing regs on a vaccine. I believe there are things out there now that can be used, they are just not labeled for COVID use.

Comment

Originally posted by giwan View Post
                      It is easier and faster to get an antibody test done. Clinical tests are set at a lower threshold.

Anything type of vaccine will need to go through the usual clinical trials and will take months. I don't see the FDA easing regs on a vaccine. I believe there are things out there now that can be used, they are just not labeled for COVID use.
                      Antibody, vaccine, test...

I don't give a **** what they do, just get this thing over with so I can get back to work soon and not have to worry about touching a railing at the Mac in October when Marv is welcomed back to Houghton.

Stay safe everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                        Antibody, vaccine, test...

I don't give a **** what they do, just get this thing over with so I can get back to work soon and not have to worry about touching a railing at the Mac in October when Marv is welcomed back to Houghton.

Stay safe everyone.

We'd all love for next season to be normal, but don't count on it. Things around here are being canceled that normally happen in July so it's not a stretch to see early fall things canceled as well. Fauci talked yesterday about how this might end up a seasonal thing and without a vaccine, who knows. ....

Comment

We'd all love for next season to be normal, but don't count on it. Things around here are being canceled that normally happen in July so it's not a stretch to see early fall things canceled as well. Fauci talked yesterday about how this might end up a seasonal thing and without a vaccine, who knows. ....
                          You're not making my Monday any better [emoji1787]

Comment

The Dartmouth men's twitter account is conducting a poll MTU Huskies vs Uconn huskies. So far UConn is way ahead so please go vote.

Comment

Coach Shawhan has retweeted a couple of tweets about Chase Pietila's being tendered by Lincoln (USHL). Chase is Logan and Blake's younger brother. He just turned 16, has been drafted by Saginaw (OHL) and there was talk that he was snubbed from the NTDP roster. Hope he's interested in having his brothers as teammates for a year.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                                Coach Shawhan has retweeted a couple of tweets about Chase Pietila's being tendered by Lincoln (USHL). Chase is Logan and Blake's younger brother. He just turned 16, has been drafted by Saginaw (OHL) and there was talk that he was snubbed from the NTDP roster. Hope he's interested in having his brothers as teammates for a year.
                                I'd like to see him in Houghton. I sure haven't been disappointed on the other Pietilas.

Comment

Working...
                                X