Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Meek is now in the transfer portal. At what point is it concerning having so many upper class transfers?

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
      Meek is now in the transfer portal. At what point is it concerning having so many upper class transfers?
      Donohue and Shawhan butted heads.
      Beydoun will be a senior goaltender, yet wasnt close to being guaranteed even half the starts next season.
      Meek didn't play much this season

So it seems like all individually are very reasonable. The question is when does the combination raise a concern? Honestly, we just have to let 2020-21 play out and see if Joe is right or not. It will be interesting to see if he takes in any grad transfers to balance out class sizes/etc
      Last edited by Shirtless Guy; 03-23-2020, 02:18 PM.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
        Donohue and Shawhan butted heads. Beydoun will be a senior, yet wasnt close to being guaranteed even half the starts next season. Meek didn't play much so it seems like all individually are very reasonable. The question is when does the combination raise a concern? Honestly, we just have to let 2020-21 play out and see if Joe is right or not. It will be interesting to see if he takes in any grad transfers to balance out class sizes/etc
        Speaking of grad transfers: it's my uninformed opinion that there is no way a kid enters the portal and signs with someone else in one or two days unless he was contacted ahead of time. I think there needs to be some sort of procedure that makes it a little more transparent when a kid enters and what he can expect.
        I'm sorry Donahue is leaving. He was a good player.
        MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
          Speaking of grad transfers: it's my uninformed opinion that there is no way a kid enters the portal and signs with someone else in one or two days unless he was contacted ahead of time. I think there needs to be some sort of procedure that makes it a little more transparent when a kid enters and what he can expect.
          I'm sorry Donahue is leaving. He was a good player.
          Have you heard of one of them signing elsewhere? I have not so I'm not sure what you're talking about...
          Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by mtu_huskies View Post
            Did Donohue and Meek graduate like Beydoun? If so, it is not concerning to me at all that they choose to leave.

If they have not, I think we still need to look at individual circumstances. Are these guys Marv's recruits? If so, I would have thought they'd move on by now.

Meek only played 18 games in the last 2 seasons after 43 as a freshman. I don't have answers why the dropoff, but I can see how he might not want to play another year at Tech.

As mentioned earlier, sounds like Donohue and Joe didn't see eye to eye. If that's the case, I'd prefer they are not a part of the program. I like his play, for the most part, but if he can be a problem in the dressing room, it's better to let him walk.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
              Did Donohue and Meek graduate like Beydoun? If so, it is not concerning to me at all that they choose to leave.

If they have not, I think we still need to look at individual circumstances. Are these guys Marv's recruits? If so, I would have thought they'd move on by now.

Meek only played 18 games in the last 2 seasons after 43 as a freshman. I don't have answers why the dropoff, but I can see how he might not want to play another year at Tech.

As mentioned earlier, sounds like Donohue and Joe didn't see eye to eye. If that's the case, I'd prefer they are not a part of the program. I like his play, for the most part, but if he can be a problem in the dressing room, it's better to let him walk.

all 3 are early graduates who can play right away somewhere else.

Comment

all 3 are early graduates who can play right away somewhere else.
                That makes a lot of sense. Of the three under that circumstance, Donohue is the only one I'd expect to really want to return. And with the rumours of him not getting along with Joe, his departure makes sense to me also.

Comment

Donohue and Shawhan butted heads.
                  Beydoun will be a senior goaltender, yet wasnt close to being guaranteed even half the starts next season.
                  Meek didn't play much this season

So it seems like all individually are very reasonable. The question is when does the combination raise a concern? Honestly, we just have to let 2020-21 play out and see if Joe is right or not. It will be interesting to see if he takes in any grad transfers to balance out class sizes/etc
                  I would say it becomes a concern when so many people have transferred that you don't have many seniors or juniors except the depth guys. Also, the guys that leave go on to have success.

For me, grad transfers don't count. They graduated and earned the right to transfer.
                  Guys buried on the bench can transfer if they think they can play somewhere else. Sometimes people need a change of scenery or a different group of coaches, like Baretta. It seemed to work out for everyone.

As for Donohue... That one has me a bit more concerned. He was a top 4 defender who could make all the plays and it hurts to lose them. That said he would have a boneheaded turnover/laps in judgement frequently. If he isn't listening to Joe/coaches, hurting us in games, and setting a bad example, his potential departure might be addition through subtraction.

Comment

I feel like Donohue's loss will leave a huge hole. He has the skating and puck skills to get a lot done out there. Obviously, I dont have any inside info on his relationship with Joe, but I wonder if Joe's approach needs to be a tad more nuanced to leave guys like Seamus enough room to manuever through it without it coming to a head. I liken it to how I am sometimes too demanding with my kids and I need to remind myself to chill out once in a while and not hammer them on every little thing. Maybe its part of the learning process for a coach too?

That said, Donohue was prone to making some boneheaded mistakes, and it was pretty clear that Joe was ****ed about some of the poorly timed penalty stuff......

Comment

Originally posted by Scrum Bucket View Post
                      I liken it to how I am sometimes too demanding with my kids and I need to remind myself to chill out once in a while and not hammer them on every little thing. Maybe its part of the learning process for a coach too?

That said, Donohue was prone to making some boneheaded mistakes, and it was pretty clear that Joe was ****ed about some of the poorly timed penalty stuff......
                      But when my kids repeatedly make the same boneheaded plays that we've talked about ad nauseam, I tend to not be so chill and I possibly come across as too demanding to people looking in from outside the situation.

Comment

You can add Zach Noble to the list of those entering the transfer Portal

Comment

Another one with limited playing time and no points in 2019-20. If a lot of key pieces were leaving I'd be worried. If a lot of the depth guys that Joe wants to "push the starters to stay in the lineup" I might be a little concerned.

Comment

I think these depth guys are just looking at the incoming recruits and see the writing on the wall. If they weren't playing in even half the games last year and were beat out for ice time by freshmen, that's probably not going to change.

Comment

Shirtless, I trust your sources and I don't expect you to name them but where is the Transfer Portal info coming from? Is there a site that lists who is there? I thought it was only accessible by school officials.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
                                Shirtless, I trust your sources and I don't expect you to name them but where is the Transfer Portal info coming from? Is there a site that lists who is there? I thought it was only accessible by school officials.

It is only accessible by school officials, I believe only coaches. Players can leak information about themselves, I believe Beydoun and Meek were both posted on twitter by others while I broke the news on Donohue and Noble...as one of guys that broke the news about the first two said, it's "Just word of mouth. Stuff like that gets around."

Comment

Working...
                                X