Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
    You are very optimistic. This year was always another rebuilding year. It didn’t seem like competing for home ice was an unrealistic goal for the team.

I give Alex Smith in his post game interview a lot of credit. Hopefully he and Ray can get after the guys to up their game.

Let’s Go Tech!

Alex Smith mentioned that we missed the net too much, and had a lot
    of shots blocked. Credit FSU for the blocks.

Coach mentioned that we did not compete hard enough. He has said that often.

What I saw, was a lot of missed shots up close, and took a lot of long shots that had big rebounds. But we rarely get the rebound. That is one spot where the “compete level” is lacking. It’s hard work owning the front of their goal, but if your taking most of your SOG from the point you need to be in front of the net and in control of the space more often.

The passing game was real bad.

Positives I saw: great goal tending. It could have been much worse, and #30 kept us in it. Few penalties, we didn’t take a bunch of bad ones. If your playing one goal games, that is really critical. Several D played this weekend that have not seen much ice time, and overall did well.
    Go Huskies!

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

I went back and watched the replay and I agree it's not as bad as I thought. I do not think the third was our best period, I thought we dominated play and did a better job defensively in the second.

For whatever reason, we really struggle to get quality shots on the net. Either it's wide, or we pass it off, or we wait too long to shoot....

Now Ferris did get that breakaway and it did get them the lead. As Minnesota State can attest, you don't want to fall behind these highly defensive teams.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Bump

Comment

I would bet that you could correlate pretty closely the pp success to the teams' success. As joe said in his show, we need 1 goal per game. Can't that come from a dynamite pp? Wouldn't that solve all these other 5x5 problems?

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
            I would bet that you could correlate pretty closely the pp success to the teams' success. As joe said in his show, we need 1 goal per game. Can't that come from a dynamite pp? Wouldn't that solve all these other 5x5 problems?
            The power play improving would go a long way to fixing that problem and possibly sparking offense elsewhere.
            Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Originally posted by Shirtless Guy View Post
              The power play improving would go a long way to fixing that problem and possibly sparking offense elsewhere.
              It is going to take more than one thing to get that extra goal a game.

I understand what they guys are going through with the highlight reel/perimeter play/making an easy play complex style. For me, it was not having confidence in my physical abilities, needing to learn a new skill set, and learning to like contact. I was "forced" (more play like this or sit) to play that way and learned to love it.

Huntsville is a perfect game for the coaches to tell the guys they are doing some form of exhausting conditioning for every passed up open shot, puck dusting, risky pass, and offensive zone possession where someone from the shift isn't in the hard ice. I know coaches don't want to offend them, but if the coaches verbally tell them and show them what is expected before the game, they can't complain. Those are the rules. We would get better conditioning out of it.

Let's go Tech!

Comment

Well this is not it looking good.

Offense making UAH Sinclair look brilliant. Tons of shots. No rebounds at all.

Datema just got faked out of his jock strap. Breakaway, 1-0 Chargers..

UAH is getting out shot badly, but I’d have to say quality chances might favor the Chargers, because they get a lot of random scrums going near our crease.
                Last edited by Redridge; 01-31-2020, 08:36 PM.
                Go Huskies!

Comment

Ok, after two periods of garbage, we have really decided to get physical and control the front of the chargers net. 3 quick goals. Brice really started it.
                  Go Huskies!

Comment

I thought we got lucky on the last three goals. the misplay behind the net just killed them. I'll take it though.

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                      I thought we got lucky on the last three goals. the misplay behind the net just killed them. I'll take it though.
                      Bit that's the puck luck we haven't seen for about a month.

And when you put 18-20 sots on in a period, you should be getting some of that.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Our power play...sigh.
                        Go Huskies!

Comment

No heart tonight. Got our butts kicked by the 1-20 Chargers
                          Go Huskies!

Comment

the shame. the 2nd win of the season for the Chargers. against Tech. sad.
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

You say we have been working on the PP? Really?

Comment

• Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                                You say we have been working on the PP? Really?
                                Repeatedly dumping it in on the PP. Only to go pick it back up behind our net.
                                Go Huskies!

Comment

Working...
                                X