Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
    The Ralph seat 11,643 for hockey.
    But when you factor in the egos, they get the equivalent of 16k.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

• Re: 2019-20 Michigan Tech Season Thread. Broetzman has us off to a Bliss-ful start!

The 2017 WCHA Championship game will be on the Michigan Tech Huskies YouTube page at 5pm tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
        Why because of the NBA G league poaching a few basketball recruits?

Personally I think the NCAA hockey model is moving along. (It is concerning what is going on with UAX schools and how the rest of college hockey is more or less letting them die on the vine while they swoon over ULI, St Thomas speculation, Illinois flirt job, Oakland, and other yet unknown schools.) Two NCAA coaches are now head coach in the NHL and more and more players with NCAA commitment/ice time are being drafted and playing in the NHL.

For hockey things ebb and flow if they prefer college, major juniors, or international. I'm with you that I think for the sustainability of the league and players/potential players, the NCAA route gives them the most chance at professional hockey and professional life success.
        The NBA thing is actually pretty big. Between the NBL and this USNTDP sound-a-like, plus the removal of the restrictions that lead to one-and-done, I think that the NCAA's role as a tastemaker for big-time NBA prospects under age 20 may be gone. [As a Duke fan, this is my concern, Dude.]

I really believe in the NCAA model as a complement to junior hockey. It's a lot like HS draftees vs. college players in baseball, except the NCAA has more leverage in baseball about guys leaving.

GFM
        Geof F. Morris
        UAH BSE MAE 2002
        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
          The NBA thing is actually pretty big. Between the NBL and this USNTDP sound-a-like, plus the removal of the restrictions that lead to one-and-done, I think that the NCAA's role as a tastemaker for big-time NBA prospects under age 20 may be gone. [As a Duke fan, this is my concern, Dude.]

I really believe in the NCAA model as a complement to junior hockey. It's a lot like HS draftees vs. college players in baseball, except the NCAA has more leverage in baseball about guys leaving.

GFM
          Yes, it is a big issue for NCAA Basketball, but they survived before the one and done rule. Not everyone is going to skip college. There are enough players to go around. Maybe we won't be seeing the best of the best on a college court, but we sure see a lot of good ones. (BTW, I won't be shedding any tears if Duke loses a recruit to a pro/developmental league. Ever since Christian Laettner all the way through Grayson Allen, can't stand Coach K (he is just as corrupt as John Calipari), and having to listen to Dicky V and other talking heads blab on about Duke makes me turn off whatever I was listening/watching. In the places NCAA hockey is popular, it doesn't matter they don't get all/most/some of the draft picks. People are fans of the sport and school. If any impact this will have, it will hurt the smaller budget schools. Instead of having an extra star guy slip to them. They will have have to make due without "that guy".

The NCAA will always be a compliment because of the extra rules/requirements (being a student) associated with it.

Could the reason baseball has more control is they are dealing with an overall lower level of skill players than hockey?

Comment

Two Tech recruits drafted in the USHL Phase II Draft:

Round 8 - #116 - Green Bay - Charles-Edward Tardif
            Round 9 - #126 - Des Moines - Evan Orr

Comment

The head of CMU was interviewed on the radio yesterday. He said: Are you going to have classes in the fall.... Maybe but not in the same way. we'll do some distance learning. how much, we don't know. Will students be in the dorms, some will. but really we don't know. Will staffing be cut. We've had a lot of retires but might have more cuts, we don't know. Will tuition go up. Not at first. Do you expect enrollment to decline? a little bit, but not too much.
              Last edited by manurespreader; 05-06-2020, 01:14 PM.
              MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Schedule is out. https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...20-21/schedule

Non-conference series
                Michigan
                @ Clarkson
                GLI
                Arizona State

Not hosting Bowling Green or Alaska. Not traveling to Ferris State or Lake Superior State.

Also not leaving the U.P. the entire month of February.

Comment

WMU cutting all parts of the University including Athletics 20%.

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo...cut-by-20.html

Comment

Originally posted by manurespreader View Post
                    WMU cutting all parts of the University including Athletics 20%.

https://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo...cut-by-20.html
                    That's going to hurt.

One would assume they would do everything they can to maintain their MAC and NCHC requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                      Schedule is out. https://www.michigantechhuskies.com/...20-21/schedule

Non-conference series
                      Michigan
                      @ Clarkson
                      GLI
                      Arizona State

Not hosting Bowling Green or Alaska. Not traveling to Ferris State or Lake Superior State.

Also not leaving the U.P. the entire month of February.
                      I won't argue with a trip to Houghton in late October! Hoping fans can attend games at that time.

It is a nice February schedule for Tech to pick up a lot of WCHA points.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                        That's going to hurt.

One would assume they would do everything they can to maintain their MAC and NCHC requirements.
                        Coach Murray took a voluntary 25% pay cut. Football will get hit hard all over the MAC. You have to wonder if students will be showing up on campus in late August. It's not all that far away any longer.

Comment

Coach Murray took a voluntary 25% pay cut. Football will get hit hard all over the MAC. You have to wonder if students will be showing up on campus in late August. It's not all that far away any longer.
                          Bowling Green's president announced that BG is planning to open their campus to students in the fall with the idea of being flexible all summer to adapt their plan as needed due to the Covid-19.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                            Bowling Green's president announced that BG is planning to open their campus to students in the fall with the idea of being flexible all summer to adapt their plan as needed due to the Covid-19.
                            I can see that and several downstate Michigan universities have announced their intention to open. However, you have to wonder if you are a student, are you ok with sitting in some lecture hall with 200 of your closest friends from all over the country? I wouldn't be. Now I could see, if a vaccine is available By late fall, vaccinating the team and then letting them play, but there has to be students or the NCAA will not allow sports.

And if they do open, are students going to be punished for not attending class? Plus, how are the dorms going to maintain distance, I mean you have to eat at some point right?

Comment

I can see that and several downstate Michigan universities have announced their intention to open. However, you have to wonder if you are a student, are you ok with sitting in some lecture hall with 200 of your closest friends from all over the country? I wouldn't be. Now I could see, if a vaccine is available By late fall, vaccinating the team and then letting them play, but there has to be students or the NCAA will not allow sports.

And if they do open, are students going to be punished for not attending class? Plus, how are the dorms going to maintain distance, I mean you have to eat at some point right?
                              Not just the country also the world.

If I was a healthy student, I wouldn't be worried. Statistically, their risk is very low. The people that should be worried are professors, student interacting university staff, students with preexisting conditions, and the community.

That said, the real issue is schools/universities/dorms are ideal places for coronavirus to spread. Try to do contact tracing on campus. If someone in Wads had it, the whole dorm would be covered/exposed in a matter of hours. This stuff lives on nonporous surfaces (under room temp and no UV light) for days.

The biggest issue, how many ICU patients can the UP heath system handle? Would you want to wait 2 hours to get to Marquette if you couldn't breath? Would Marquette have enough beds because NMU students returning would introduce the same risks. One could argue there should be more medical resources available to help and better treatment protocols to improve survival rate and reduce overall system capacity/improve recovery rates.

Then there is the risk to the economy as well. They can't keep the students away forever (ie until a vaccine is approved and distributed).

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost_Husky View Post
                                Not just the country also the world.

If I was a healthy student, I wouldn't be worried. Statistically, their risk is very low. The people that should be worried are professors, student interacting university staff, students with preexisting conditions, and the community.

That said, the real issue is schools/universities/dorms are ideal places for coronavirus to spread. Try to do contact tracing on campus. If someone in Wads had it, the whole dorm would be covered/exposed in a matter of hours. This stuff lives on nonporous surfaces (under room temp and no UV light) for days.

The biggest issue, how many ICU patients can the UP heath system handle? Would you want to wait 2 hours to get to Marquette if you couldn't breath? Would Marquette have enough beds because NMU students returning would introduce the same risks. One could argue there should be more medical resources available to help and better treatment protocols to improve survival rate and reduce overall system capacity/improve recovery rates.

Then there is the risk to the economy as well. They can't keep the students away forever (ie until a vaccine is approved and distributed).
                                Some good thoughts about Tech’s geography. The general population (non-academic) of Houghton / Hancock was fairly old when I attended (long, long ago) and that would be a concern as well.
                                Go Huskies!

Comment

Working...
                                X