X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2019-2020: "We're on the clock" <<<

Good breakdown Tom.

A couple points I want to add from listening to the broadcast. While I don't think that the first RIT goal needed to be THAT quick after Bowling Green scored their second goal, I do think that they needed to score the next goal. That goal was clearly a game changer, though.
    2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
    2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
    2010 Frozen Four participant
    2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Originally posted by komey1 View Post
      Good breakdown Tom.

A couple points I want to add from listening to the broadcast. While I don't think that the first RIT goal needed to be THAT quick after Bowling Green scored their second goal, I do think that they needed to score the next goal. That goal was clearly a game changer, though.
      I don't know anything is possible, but it was highly deflating to see them play better than give up a goal which really was just a break down. Perhaps they still would have come back, but the quick goal drastically changed the game...
      Course, That's Just my Opinion, I Could Be Wrong.

Thomas M. Naeger
      The Mule
      Rochester Institute of Technology '03

"Good Judgment comes from experience, experience comes from Bad Judgment"

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

Orange Cat Review RIT Vs. Ohio State - Ice Breaker Championship Game

Puck Drop: Coming off their win Friday RIT faced the state nuts for the right to lift the Ice Breaker Championship trophy. RIT played a good first and was rewarded with a 1-0 lead when Alden Dupuis scored on the power play for RIT. Power play is off to a good start for the Tigers at 27%. However a bad bounce and penalties later lead to RIT dropping the game 3-1. Overall not a bad weekend but a little disappointing and Logan Dracket was hands down the best goaltender at the tourament and gave RIT a chance to win that tournament. More on Logan later.

Blame Game: Referees I guess, everyone always wants to blame them, but the tigers really hurt themselves with bad penalties. Look the Roughing call on Nick Bruce in the third was a bad call, he angled off his guy, knocked him off the puck, the guy falls awkwardly into the lines man and somehow Bruce gets the penalty by the ref who has the worst view of the hit. But the Tigers really flirted with and finally got a major which lead to the PP Goal that did them in. Andrew Petrucci was really careless with his hit and flirted with more than 2 minutes, I think 2 was the correct call, but it caught my attention. But it's hard to argue a review that lead to Brody Valette getting sent to the showers early. I was afraid that their was head contact. The only argument I think you can come up with is that AHA officials rarely seem to review this call, but it's hard to blame WCHA refs for doing their job correctly.

Hockey Hero: Ronnie Hein, the senior from Chelsea, Michigan had two power play goals including the game winner for Ohio State.

Turing Point: RIT was in the zip code of playing Ohio State Even when around 9 minutes and 30 seconds when Logan Dracket attempted to play a puck behind his net that he fired around the glass and appeared to hit flat and somehow bounced straight towards the net. Miguel Fidler was right there who moved the puck to Quinn Preston who just as quickly got the puck to Ronnie Hein for the equalizer. I can't afford to buy new boards, but will offer to donate a level to the Huntington Center. Saw some of the craziest bounces all weekend. They need to work on those boards...

Hey, You Did Good: Logan Drackett was better than good he was great all weekend. He kept the Tigers in, and made a highlight quality save late. Logan has now stopped 94 of the 100 shots he has faced in 3 games. Makes for an easy time computing his save percentage too.

Look, You Need to Do Better: Calling all upper clansmen, we still looking for a vet to step up with scoring. It's going to be a search for a Brennan Sarazin to emerge to score some goals.

Good Move Wayne: I think the game plan was sound, and was working. When the team took a punch with the bad bounce it really did not recover, Ohio State really dominated play the rest of the game.

WILSON!!!!!!!!! (Second-Guessing Wilson): As mention before Bad Penalties are still a bad characteristic of this program. It really started 3 years ago, there has been some improvement, but it still happens. This day and age Officials are trained to call it tight on head shots and hits along the board. Team has to get with it, or sit in the box, or the locker room if they get kicked out.

Breathless: So RIT is 2-1-0, with two games played against national rank opponents. Good News, but the bad, you know how I said that Logan Drackett has faced 100 shots, RIT has put just 61 shots on the other goaltenders...

Next Shift Up: RIT is coming home for Brick City at Blue Cross with a game against Merrimack who was swept by Lake Superior to start the season and lost 11-5 tonight to Wisconsin. Merrimack will play a Thursday game at Holy Cross. RIT should be a favorite. This kind of reminds me of Blue Cross when Penn State played there after being beat by Buff State the night before. Hope to see a better game by RIT.

Thomas M. Naeger
        The Mule

"If we play our game, there's pretty much no chance they have of beating us. We know what we have to do. It's just a matter of going out and doing it." - Brent Alexin

Comment

I think if you did a poll of RIT fans asking if they would be happy coming away with a win on the weekend where they play 2 ranked team, I think most would take it. And even in the loss, they weren't blown away, but killed themselves with penalties. Being 2-1 going into the homecoming game against a so-far struggling Merrimack makes me think that a good result is in the offing. 'Mack also has a date against Holy Cross on Thursday, so that should be advantage RIT in terms of rest.

I think the thing the team can take out of these 3 games is that they can play with just about anyone. I think they should be confident about being able to win a lot of games.
          2006-07 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2008-09 Atlantic Hockey Co-Champions!
          2009-10 Atlantic Hockey Champions!
          2010 Frozen Four participant
          2010-11 Atlantic Hockey Champions!

Member of the infamous Corner Crew

Comment

Surprised not to see any coverage of the Ice Breaker on USCHO.com. Used to be big news around these parts.

Powers &8^]

Comment

In NHL news, Chris Tanev picked up his 100th career NHL point the other night. Quite an accomplishment for a guy who has been more of a defensive d-man at that level.

Comment

I don't suppose video highlights of the weekend's games are available anywhere?

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
                  Nothing from Colgate either, I guess with Joe gone we don't get videos on the road anymore?

Surprised not to see any coverage of the Ice Breaker on USCHO.com. Used to be big news around these parts.

Powers &8^]
                  Was some coverage on USCHO, but I will admit I'd thought there be a little more than they had...

Thomas M. Naeger
                  The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                    Nothing from Colgate either, I guess with Joe gone we don't get videos on the road anymore?

Was some coverage on USCHO, but I will admit I'd thought there be a little more than they had...
                    In general the RIT hockey social media has gone completely down the tubes with Joe and Riley gone. It's quite sad, our social media game used to be top notch and made keeping up with games very easy without having to hunt for box scores.
                    RIT

Comment

Originally posted by RIT Winters View Post
                      In general the RIT hockey social media has gone completely down the tubes with Joe and Riley gone. It's quite sad, our social media game used to be top notch and made keeping up with games very easy without having to hunt for box scores.
                      I also noticed a lack of pre-game stories for both hockey teams this week. When they were posted late on Friday morning, it reads as if they were written by University News and not someone who normally writes about sports.
                      https://ritathletics.com/news/2019/1...ournament.aspx
                      Missing the typical report on the opponent(s), and had more info on the previous game than normal.

Joe's replacement (Tim Volkmann) starts on November 11th, so hopefully things get better after that...
                      Last edited by mar7967; 10-15-2019, 09:32 AM.
                      Atlantic Hockey Composite schedule: www.tinyurl.com/AHAcomp2
                      College Hockey America (Women) Composite Schedule: www.tinyurl.com/CHAWcomp

RIT Tigers
                      Men's Atlantic Hockey Champions 2010 2015 2016
                      Men's Frozen Four 2010
                      Women's College Hockey America Champions 2014 2015
                      Women's DIII National Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Naeger View Post
                        Where was it? I checked the homepage frequently but didn't see anything.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Powers &8^]
                          Sports zone emailed me this morning with footage from the Bowling Green game’s It’s on YouTube
                          RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

So it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDcXb3qfbII

I admit six days later it's hard to remember the details of what was going on. =) I believe the first goal shown in the video is the one that was disallowed because it was played with a high stick -- though the high stick itself is not shown thanks to lackadaisical camera work.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Where was it? I checked the homepage frequently but didn't see anything.

Powers &8^]
                              I don't think there was any feature article, but there was mentions of it in other columns.

Thomas M. Naeger
                              The Mule

Comment

Originally posted by mar7967 View Post
                                Joe's replacement (Tim Volkmann) starts on November 11th, so hopefully things get better after that...
                                Since they are operating short-handed, the sports information department is getting some freelance writing help. It would be unfair to expect one person to be able to handle the work of two, especially since hockey overlaps the fall sports schedule.

Comment

Working...
                                X