Clear All

• Originally posted by Ed Trefzger View Post
    Thanks?
    It’s a compliment. You guys are good most of the time😄
    RIT Tigers

Got one foot in the crease

Comment

• Re: >>> RIT Tigers 2019-2020: "We're on the clock" <<<

This team doesn't have a prayer of beating any of the top teams in this conference if they don't stop hemorrhaging goals - and frankly even getting to Buffalo seems like a long shot until they fix it. That's 7 straight starts for Drackett where they've allowed 4 goals or more. That's insanity.

Comment

Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
        This team doesn't have a prayer of beating any of the top teams in this conference if they don't stop hemorrhaging goals - and frankly even getting to Buffalo seems like a long shot until they fix it. That's 7 straight starts for Drackett where they've allowed 4 goals or more. That's insanity.
        The question I have of those who've seen more games than I have, is Drackett the weak link, or are the guys in front leaving him hanging in an effort to boost the offense? At least one goal tonight sounded like the D overskated the puck and left it laying right in front. Either way, it sounds like it's time for a change in net just to shake things up. Doesn't have to be permanent maybe even a couple of games. I thought after his meltdown a few weeks ago that he'd sit for at least a couple of games.
        John Nabors

RIT Tigers - A Long Hockey Tradition
        AHA Regular Season Champions 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011
        AHA Tournament Champions 2010, 2015, 2016
        NCAA DI - 2010, 2015, 2016
        NCAA Frozen 4 - 2010
        NCAA DII - 1983
        NCAA DIII - 1984, 1985, 1989, 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002

Comment

• Originally posted by XCTiger View Post
          The question I have of those who've seen more games than I have, is Drackett the weak link, or are the guys in front leaving him hanging in an effort to boost the offense? At least one goal tonight sounded like the D overskated the puck and left it laying right in front. Either way, it sounds like it's time for a change in net just to shake things up. Doesn't have to be permanent maybe even a couple of games. I thought after his meltdown a few weeks ago that he'd sit for at least a couple of games.
          The way I heard it, goal #1 was a defensive mistake that left the puck sitting there for HC to make an easy goal. All of the others sounded like misses on Drackett’s part.

I agree with you that it is time for a change there and see what comes of it.
          RIT Tigers

Comment

• Originally posted by blazer777 View Post
            The way I heard it, goal #1 was a defensive mistake that left the puck sitting there for HC to make an easy goal. All of the others sounded like misses on Drackett’s part.

I agree with you that it is time for a change there and see what comes of it.
            Hope they get the split and agree that a change in goal might be what is needed to get the defense back on the same page, RIT has some leadership back there, let’s see how they answer the bell tonight. Season is approaching the home stretch.
            RPI Engineers
            RIT Tigers
            ARMY Black Knights

Comment

• Nice bounce back, great to see all the RIT fans in the stands.

Four huge series coming up to wrap up the regular season..
              RPI Engineers
              RIT Tigers
              ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Good win. Can't say I was thrilled with the 3rd period, especially given that HC had taken it to them for come back wins in the last two 3rd periods the teams played against each other, but at least they held on - by the skin of their teeth. I don't think going to a 1-4 in the 3rd period against a heavy forechecking team like Holy Cross was a good decision - they want to dump the puck in and wear you down, and they're not a team that's going to try to force it through the neutral zone creating turnovers you can pounce on. I suspect that's what got them in trouble in the two games RIT lost to them as well. Hopefully Drackett can get some much needed confidence from holding them off.

Regarding the near future schedule and the AHA standings, RIT (and the top-heavy nature of the conference this year) has really put themselves in a good position for home ice in the 2nd round and the accompanying first round bye. Manage to sweep Robert Morris, and I believe that RIT can clinch a home ice bye with just splits in their remaining 3 series after that (depends on tiebreakers, but if the first tiebreaker is H2H they should be in good shape), and frankly they should do better than that with two home series and a home and home against Niagara.

I think the regular season title is pretty much out of reach at this point though - meaning this senior class is going to have to win the tournament to keep RIT's streak of every class leaving with a championship of some kind, and without any upsets getting through both Sacred Heart and AIC on Championship weekend is going to be a tall order. Sacred Heart in particular seems to be one of the better teams the AHA has produced of late. If you're a believer in GF/GA being a better indicator of team strength than raw record, you have to go back all the way to the Frozen Four Tigers team to find a team with a better conference GF/GA ratio than either Sacred Heart or AIC has currently.

Comment

• Originally posted by jflory81 View Post
                  Good win. Can't say I was thrilled with the 3rd period, especially given that HC had taken it to them for come back wins in the last two 3rd periods the teams played against each other, but at least they held on - by the skin of their teeth. I don't think going to a 1-4 in the 3rd period against a heavy forechecking team like Holy Cross was a good decision - they want to dump the puck in and wear you down, and they're not a team that's going to try to force it through the neutral zone creating turnovers you can pounce on. I suspect that's what got them in trouble in the two games RIT lost to them as well. Hopefully Drackett can get some much needed confidence from holding them off.

Regarding the near future schedule and the AHA standings, RIT (and the top-heavy nature of the conference this year) has really put themselves in a good position for home ice in the 2nd round and the accompanying first round bye. Manage to sweep Robert Morris, and I believe that RIT can clinch a home ice bye with just splits in their remaining 3 series after that (depends on tiebreakers, but if the first tiebreaker is H2H they should be in good shape), and frankly they should do better than that with two home series and a home and home against Niagara.

I think the regular season title is pretty much out of reach at this point though - meaning this senior class is going to have to win the tournament to keep RIT's streak of every class leaving with a championship of some kind, and without any upsets getting through both Sacred Heart and AIC on Championship weekend is going to be a tall order. Sacred Heart in particular seems to be one of the better teams the AHA has produced of late. If you're a believer in GF/GA being a better indicator of team strength than raw record, you have to go back all the way to the Frozen Four Tigers team to find a team with a better conference GF/GA ratio than either Sacred Heart or AIC has currently.
                  Good synopsis. If 5-3 the rest of the way gets RIT a first round bye and second round home ice I’d take that any day. I also agree that Sacred Heart looks like the real deal. Got to watch them in that CT tournament as all the games were on TV down here. They took Yale and QPAC behind the wood shed. Their speed seemed to catch both of those teams by surprise. Watched their coach mention their loss in the playoffs last year to RIT as a catalyst to having a successful season this year. They certainly have looked good as of late but we all know how the Atlantic Hockey playoffs work once they get to Buffalo. One bad game and you’re out. If RIT gets to Buffalo they have as much of a chance as any other AHA team.
                  RPI Engineers
                  RIT Tigers
                  ARMY Black Knights

Comment

Nice win tonight!!!! Let's hope they win tomorrow.

Comment

This overtime system SUCKS. It has no place in college hockey. Why should a skills competition be worth extra points in the standings?

In the pros, sure. But in the college game, it's essentially a coin toss for an extra point.

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        This overtime system SUCKS. It has no place in college hockey. Why should a skills competition be worth extra points in the standings?

In the pros, sure. But in the college game, it's essentially a coin toss for an extra point.

Powers &8^]
                        Don’t give up a two goal lead and score in the extra time instead of always giving up a goal in the second frame and it would be okay.

Still, getting points on the road is never a bad thing,
                        RIT Tigers

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post

Powers &8^]
                          I'm probably in the minority here, but I like it and hate ties. Its not a coin flip at all, RIT sucks at 3 on 3 and they need to practice it and get a basic strategy. With our speed and skill we should never lose 3 on 3. Same with shootout, guys (shooters AND goalies) can develop better techniques or moves to score and strategy for shutting down shooters. I don't buy this complaint from people that its a coin flip or like one NHL goalie who is just bad at it says its like the lottery. No, just work at it a little the extra point makes it worth it big time.

Comment

Originally posted by unscarred76 View Post
                            With our speed and skill we should never lose 3 on 3.
                            Even if this were true, it'd hardly be a ringing endorsement for the format, if you could confidently predict the winner every time.

But moreover, these are college kids. Adding 3-on-3 and shootout practice to the regimen takes time away from practice designed for the other 98% of ice time.

Powers &8^]

Comment

These kids have likely been messing around with 3 on 3 pick up games and breakaway challenges their entire hockey lives. I'm not someone who needs to have ties decided, but that's the way hockey is going and to me as long as they aren't going to start giving out more total points for games decided in the 3 on 3 or in the shootout like they do in the NHL (and like a couple of the uscho columnists suggested on the home page a few weeks ago :facepalm: ) it's a non-issue to me.

And yeah, the angst over Saturday's game should be focused on blowing a 3rd period lead for the 2nd straight weekend, and blowing a 2 goal lead where they had complete control over the game (I think shots were something like 27-9 when they made it 3-1?), although I think the refs taking over the game a little bit in the 2nd period had something to do with the momentum changing as well. Not who got credit for an extra third of a win in the 3x3. It's not likely to affect RIT significantly (as in decide a bye or home ice) unless they struggle down the stretch anyway - and at that point they'll have no one to blame but themselves anyway.

Comment

This is about the time of year that I like to look at clinching scenarios, but there's not really much going on in that respect this weekend. Mercyhurst has already clinched the 11th seed in the conference tournament, AIC has clinched a 1st round bye and can clinch home ice in the 2nd round of the playoffs with a win or a Robert Morris loss (or combined results that combine to 3 points either gained by AIC or lost by RMU). Bad weekends by Army or RIT could also clinch them home ice even if they get less than 3 points this weekend as well. Sacred Heart only has one game this weekend but they can similarly clinch home ice in the 2nd round with a win and a RMU loss. They haven't quite clinched the 1st round bye, but a combination of two points gained or dropped by Bentley will get them there. Here's the current standings, sorted by winning %, with a note for where each team can possibly finish:

1. AIC 16-5-1(0); .742; Can finish from 1st to 5th
                                2. SHU 15-7-1(0); .667; Can finish from 1st to 8th (mathematically all teams except MH and AF can catch them, but H2H matchups among the lower teams means they can't all get there at once)
                                3. Army 12-9-2(2); .580; Can finish from 1st to 10th
                                4. RIT 11-7-4(1); .576; Can finish from 1st to 10th
                                5. RMU 9-9-4(2); .500; Can finish from 1st to 10th
                                6. BENT 10-11-2(0); .464; Can finish from 2nd to 10th
                                7. AFA 8-11-5(4); .458; Can finish from 3rd to 10th
                                8. NIA 8-10-4(2); .455; Can finish from 2nd to 10th
                                9. HC 8-11-3(2); .439; Can finish from 2nd to 10th
                                10. CAN 7-10-5(3); .439; Can finish from 2nd to 10th
                                11. MH 3-18-1(0); .152; Will finish 11th

RIT's still in a good spot - there's a cluster of teams from 5th to 10th, but by winning% 5th place Robert Morris is closer to 10th place than they are to us in 4th place. Ultimately 3 splits for us to end the year would force RMU to gain 15 points over 6 games to pass us. Bentley and Niagara would not be able to catch RIT in this scenario since they both would have another loss from splitting with RIT. Holy Cross and Canisius could win out to tie our total in this scenario, but I'd have to imagine our tiebreakers would be good here since we would have less shootout/OT points and series wins against both those teams.

Speaking of tiebreakers, anyone know what the AHA tiebreakers are going to be for seeding? I can't imagine they weren't decided on before the season started, but I haven't seen them posted anywhere, and the new OT system should neccessitate some changes (for example: a 14-10-4(2) team should place better than a 14-11-3(3) team, IMO, but a tiebreaker that looks solely at wins wouldn't be able to make that distinction).
                                Last edited by jflory81; 02-12-2020, 03:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X