Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by Scott View Post
    Foster's can't be bothered with UNH sports any more...they're too busy reporting all of the southern Maine high school sports. Apparently that's where they think that they can sell more papers. In their defense they're doing all they can to survive as a newspaper and have cut back on their staff and its showing in how they report sports in particular. Most of the content is just pasted in from other news sources.

In an unrelated topic......

We still can't crack the top 20 in the National polls. And did Carvel give his team the one and only vote for the number 1 spot this week??
    Well they have been covering most of the home games; just was surprised no one was there yesterday (it WAS a Sunday)...Union Leader did! Anyways...RIGHT? Not in the top 20 in the polls? Harrumph! At least we went from 12 votes the week before to 42 this week. No comment on Carvel... Guess we gotta keep on pluggin'. GO 'CATS!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• When I turned on NESN yesterday at 1:10, they were indeed showing NE Hockey Journal. So I switched to the Red Zone, then switched back 10-15 minutes later and the game was on, maybe 10 minutes in. My overall impression, not only of this game but the others I have watched, is that UNH is strong defensively from the goalie out. Robinson was the difference in the BC game and he was again today, particularly in the third. Wyse, Gildon and Maas are excellent defending around the net and also getting the puck going out of the zone. Not seeing much of the back and forth passing behind the net this year. I noticed that in the third period UMass changed to a high low forecheck which UNH was adept at handling. Offensively, they have to pick it up some, but yesterday they took care of at least a couple of their opportunities and, with the goaltending and a good defensive system, they were able to win. It was a well coached game. Let’s see if they can keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        Well I was there as well. It was a Sunday night and, because of that, my wife and then 8 year old daughter didn’t go because of school and work the next day. I was high up in the bleachers behind the visitors bench with my friend John W. and my recollection, with the aid of a few viewings of the (now) dvd over the years, is that Murray skated out of the zone, hit Bogey with a nifty pass along the left boards that sprung him loose. He turned the dman, got in close and scored. As he scored there was a guy behind the net, under the scoreboard, jumping up and down madly, who turned out to be Boguniecki’s father. That game was the turning point for UNH back then.
        Thanks for sharing that little bit of history, Greg. Now that you mention it, I can remember the guy behind the net going wild, and then eventually (probably on here at some point well afterwards) learning it was Bogey's dad. The video of that goal was widely available for several years, until it wasn't. I've been lucky enough to be there in person for some of the biggest goals in the program's history (Gould in '79, Bogey in '94, Haydar in '99, and Teplitsky in '03) come to mind immediately) but I'm envious of those of you who saw the C-H-C magic live and in person, Mowers in Albany in '98 and of course the NoDak game in ManchVegas, which at least to this point is probably the last "big one" before the slumping program went down for the count nationally.

Btw, as far as Cedorchuk goes, I have never heard anyone refer to him as The Count. However, my daughter’s elementary school principal played hockey at BC with Cedor and, in fact, they were roommates for two years. When this scholarship fiasco came up I talked to the principal about it. He told me it didn’t surprise him at all since Cedor was always playing all the angles. He told me that when they were roommates, there was one point where he was dating three different girls at the same time, all of whom thought they were the one. That caught up to him as well. What I remember is that when Cedor was trying to save his job, at one point he called up the father of his starting goalie (forget his name but he was Canadian) and asked the guy, who was a big time doctor in Alberta, to pony up his kid’s tuition, room and board so he could use the scholarship for some other player. Lot of chutzpah there, don’t you think?
        Speaking of "Count" Cedorchuk … that was a tag put on him here on USCHO, in the Wild West days, because of his issues tallying up the scholarship numbers towards the end of his time at BC. Followed of course by his successor - Mike Milbury - getting a look under the hood of what he was inheriting, sniffing out other more reliable offers, and saying "thanks but no thanks" to BC after a whopping two (2) months on the job. For those of us who cherish all things CHCC, we refer to this period of time, and maybe the next 2-3 years that followed, as "the good ol' days". Unfortunately, that York guy eventually turned things around, and ruined it for the rest of us. But it was fun while it lasted.

Greg, I had to laugh at your recollection of Cedorchuk's handling of his love life. The guy was a piece of work … IIRC, he was a Townie (not sure how Parker didn't snag him for BU), and that might explain his "fast and loose" approach to things on and off the ice? I've been sitting on a great Cedorchuk story (not exactly in high demand these days) for about 20 years, but I can't disclose it here without breaching a sworn confidence. I hate being that "I know something, but can't say" guy, but my word is my word.

Following on Ref's thoughts about the Alfond experience … that really used to mean something back when Walshy was running a perennial national contending program, with Standbrook finding those obscure gems everywhere, and their program played with an edge (doubled/tripled at home). It was still tough after Walshy as long as Standbrook was there to prop up Whitehead, but I can't say that I've ever thought "uh-oh, we gotta go to Orono" since those guys left. Granted, we've suffered through a drought over the last few years of the Umile Era where UNH struggled to match up to UMaine. But all in all, UMaine has arguably been in the crapper just as long as UNH, if not slightly longer, and I've never thought Red Gendron was going to be their savoir, and if it turns out that MS7 can turn the UNH program around, we'll be a step up on them at least until they find their next guy in charge.

((( … cue for UMaine sweeping UNH next weekend by lopsided scores … )))

Truth be told, the world of UNH Hockey will be in a better place when UMaine turns things around too.

Finally … it may be premature to say this, but Bazin's UML program is starting to remind me a little of the final Umile Era trend, sliding away gradually from the top tier, still competitive, but not like they were just a few short seasons ago. Not like Normie is going anywhere soon, but it's something I've been noticing and filing down for further comment at a later date. I guess like today, now that it's out there. Thoughts?
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          I've been lucky enough to be there in person for some of the biggest goals in the program's history (Gould in '79, Bogey in '94, Haydar in '99, and Teplitsky in '03) come to mind immediately) but I'm envious of those of you who saw the C-H-C magic live and in person, Mowers in Albany in '98 and of course the NoDak game in ManchVegas, which at least to this point is probably the last "big one"
          Thoughts?
          Well Chuck, I’ll confine myself to “big goals,” the first of which I saw on a cold February night in 1972 when #1 in the nation Harvard came into Snively, with Joe Bertagna in goal, and left losers 3-2 in OT on a goal at the crease by Guy Smith. I did not learn until 27 years later, 1999, when I interviewed Charlie Holt for the 75th anniversary program that Smith kicked the puck in.

Beyond that, two in 1977, Dave Lumley’s OT strike vs Brown that sent UNH to the Garden after four hair pulling years of frustration. Then three days later, Bob Gould’s goal against Cornell to give them a 10-9 win in double OT. You got 1979 right, Gould, #17 in your program, at 17:17 of the third period to win their sole ECAC title. After that you have to fast forward to 1992, when Savo Mitrovic scored short handed against Providence in HE semis to more or less guarantee UNH’s first trip to the NCAAs in nine years. Mowers in ‘98, Haydar in ‘99 (loudest UNH game I have ever been to), Teplitsky in ‘03, the two goals against NoDak in ‘09. But that’s about it,,isn’t it? Ten years is a big gap. Time to get going again, no?

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
            From what I have seen on the bench, JG = defense and GS = forwards
            Thanks db, that was what I thought but had not seen it in print or heard it on a broadcast.

Comment

I was high up in the bleachers behind the visitors bench with my friend John W. and my recollection, with the aid of a few viewings of the (now) dvd over the years, is that Murray skated out of the zone, hit Bogey with a nifty pass along the left boards that sprung him loose. He turned the dman, got in close and scored. As he scored there was a guy behind the net, under the scoreboard, jumping up and down madly, who turned out to be Boguniecki’s father.
              You've gotta get that goal up on YouTube Greg, or pass a copy off to someone who can.
              "...On To Victory, Forever Blue & White..."
              Men's Hockey

ECAC Regular Season: 1 • ECAC Tournament: 1 • Hockey East Regular Season: 8 • Hockey East Tournament: 2
              NCAA Appearances: 22 • Frozen Fours: 7 • 1999 & 2003 NCAA Runner Up

Women's Hockey
              EAIAW Champions: 4 • ECAC Regular Season: 3 • ECAC Tournament: 5 • Hockey East Regular Season: 6 • Hockey East Tournament: 4
              AWCHA Final Fours: 2 • NCAA Appearances: 5 • Frozen Fours: 2 • 1999 Runner Up
              1998 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Comment

This Don Cherry thing.... ughhhh.
                Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Well I was there as well. It was a Sunday night and, because of that, my wife and then 8 year old daughter didn’t go because of school and work the next day. I was high up in the bleachers behind the visitors bench with my friend John W. and my recollection, with the aid of a few viewings of the (now) dvd over the years, is that Murray skated out of the zone, hit Bogey with a nifty pass along the left boards that sprung him loose. He turned the dman, got in close and scored. As he scored there was a guy behind the net, under the scoreboard, jumping up and down madly, who turned out to be Boguniecki’s father. That game was the turning point for UNH back then. Big win over a school that had always given them fits.
                  I was there as well, my wife-to-be was in her senior year, I had graduated the year prior. What a finale, which also turned out to be the longest game in Snively Arena history. Almost like the old barn didn’t want it to be the end! I still have the white “Fish Rag” they gave out that night.
                  GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                    I was there as well, my wife-to-be was in her senior year, I had graduated the year prior. What a finale, which also turned out to be the longest game in Snively Arena history. Almost like the old barn didn’t want it to be the end! I still have the white “Fish Rag” they gave out that night.
                    I just want to share the moment when Dale and I first bonded over UNH Hockey. We had both made the trek to the North Country with our ever willing spouses to see the Wildcats do battle with Clarkson and St. Lawrence, along many other misguided individuals I might add. We had all retired to the hotel bar after another UNH victory and my wife and I wound up sitting at a table with Dale and his wife. First question out of his mouth, “do you remember your first UNH game?” “Absolutely,” I replied. “December 4, 1970, my first date with my wife.” Dale’s reply? “Oh, that’s the day before I was born.” So Dale, in the intervening years, and I’m pretty sure that was at least 20 years ago, has your older self had a similar conversation with a younger version of you?

Comment

So Dale, in the intervening years, and I’m pretty sure that was at least 20 years ago, has your older self had a similar conversation with a younger version of you?
                      To this point no however, many years back on a trip to Ann Arbor, for the Ice Breaker tourney, we were asked if we had a son on the team. Its was kind of funny because we would of have to had been about 12 at the time we got married for that to be possible! This was back in the days before our daughter was born and we rarely missed a game, home or away. BTW, I believe on that same trip to the North Country we met Darren Haydar's parents in the bar as well, and they bought us all drinks. It may have been another time up there, but if my memory serves me it was the same trip that we first met. Ah, great memories!
                      GO BLUE!

Comment

Troubling freshmen stats:

- Combined points so far = 1
                        - Combined +/- so far = -12 (no one positive)
                        - Combined games played so far = 29

I hope these begin to improve. If they do and the remaining team continues to perform accordingly, baring injuries, this team should remain competitive

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post

I hope these begin to improve. If they do and the remaining team continues to perform accordingly, baring injuries, this team should remain competitive
                          Not troubling to me, this early in the season anyway. Most freshman need time to adjust to the college game, and immediate impact from your freshman class is more an exception than the rule. If the overall trend continues into the second half of the season then, to me anyway, it will be more "troubling", until then give them some time to get their feet wet and learn the college game.
                          GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott View Post

In an unrelated topic......

We still can't crack the top 20 in the National polls. And did Carvel give his team the one and only vote for the number 1 spot this week??
                            I don't know what it is about Carvel
                            but he rubs me the wrong way!
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                              To this point no however, many years back on a trip to Ann Arbor, for the Ice Breaker tourney, we were asked if we had a son on the team. Its was kind of funny because we would of have to had been about 12 at the time we got married for that to be possible! This was back in the days before our daughter was born and we rarely missed a game, home or away. BTW, I believe on that same trip to the North Country we met Darren Haydar's parents in the bar as well, and they bought us all drinks. It may have been another time up there, but if my memory serves me it was the same trip that we first met. Ah, great memories!
                              The first time we were asked that question, “which boy on the team is yours,” was by Nick Poole’s mother. That would have been 1993 or 1994 when we were in our early forties. Those types of questions lasted for maybe another ten years or so. Fortunately I have never been asked “which kid was my grandson.”

As for the Haydars, no one like them before or since. The most sociable hockey parents I have ever met. Yes, they were completely invested in what Darren was doing, especially since they made the 18 hour round trip from Milton, Ontario every weekend for four years. But they made a point to establish friendships along the way. We met them the first weekend of Darren’s freshman year, in Burlington. Start of a great four year ride. We were fortunate to meet up with them, along Darren and his family, in Milton this past April just prior to the FF in Buffalo. Great to reminisce.
                              Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 11-12-2019, 05:26 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post

I would agree they need the time to meld with the college game but I think we have to see more goal scoring period. Compared to most HE teams we arent exactly lighting the lamp like I'm sure the coaches would like. A few of our veteran forwards have very low numbers while others (like Kelleher) are clipping along. Maybe I'm wrong on that would have to delve into the stats more? This weekend is a good time to fire that scoring machine up I'd say 😎
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X