Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    PS Dan, how good is Miami going to be this season...
    Honestly, there is a real chance that Miami is in for a dismal season. They graduated their top-scoring forward (Josh Melnick) and their one true puck-moving, impact defenseman (Grant Hutton). Their top recruit (a PSU transfer) decided to turn professional and the class they’re bringing in is so-so to solid at best...

The season will really hinge a lot on whether Miami gets a jolt under a new coaching staff or takes a while to adjust to that staff’s new system. Miami opens the season this weekend with a single home game against Bergeron’s old team, Bowling Green. So we should learn a lot from how that game goes...

Goaltending should be a strength. Ryan Larkin returns as a SR and is more than capable of stealing games, while racking up huge save numbers. He can also get caught kicking too many juicy rebounds into the slot on occasion. Freshman Kraws is a future starter and a week two debut against UNH doesn’t seem unlikely on one of those two nights in order to at least get his feet wet...

The defense returns everyone but Hutton and adds twointriguing FR, particularly Alec Chapstick. The group regularly skated three FR and two SO, last season, (I do really like returnees, Dashke, Crowder and Rourke) so if there is a group on this team that could take a real step forward it’s this one, but we will see...

Offense will be a challenge. Geordie Green is the team’s best forward and he is otherwise surrounded by a group that seems to have the potential to produce (Gilling, Bachman, Knies, Lown) but has, at least of yet not shown an ability to do so on a consistent basis. A flash here, a flash there and long disappearing acts in between...

The top incoming option is Holy Cross transfer Matt Berry - but he won’t be eligible until second semester. After that Ryan Savage (son of long-time NHLer and Miami legend, Brian Savage) seems to be the most likely to jump into the top-six. In another defection, promising SO to be Johnny Gruden bolted for MJ over the summer. Scoring could be a problem...

UNH should head out there expecting to win games. A split may seem like a safe bet, but UNH took 3 of 4 points from what I expect was a better team (at least early on) last fall. A failure to at least split would be a bad sign...

Miami’s non-conference schedule is manageable - so depending on how they handle that they could help UNH in the PWR (assuming a Wildcat win or two) just by being in the NCHC. However, the NCHC schedule could be a real grind for Miami and a last-place finish is not out of the question (with sixth seemingly the ceiling)...
    Last edited by Dan; 10-04-2019, 11:23 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

"UNH Freshman Nolan McElhaney: An Offensive Defenseman"
      Includes a recent interview, video highlights, scouting report & stats for last 4 years.
      The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Welp 'Cats get
        Up early but and Eric Mac out for the game hitting from behind...MS7 uses two fresh on firsts PP and PK
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Nice to.see Filip out there
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

1-0 after 1, shots 9-8 Guelph...

* UNH PP Goal: Crookshank (Kelleher, Eriksson)
            * Grasso & Pierson also get a plus on that 4F, PP unit
            * Robinson with 9 stops
            * 8 defensemen dressed, but no Gildon
            * UNH 1/1 on the PP, 2/2 on the PK
            * As noted, MacAdams tossed for HFB

---

Other scores of note...

* New Brunswick 4, Maine 0 (after Maine was shutout 7-0 by PC to open their season yesterday)
            * Miami (next week's opponent) scoreless after 1 vs. #17 Bowling Green
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Nice snipe by Crookshank...liking what I'm seeing from the Frosh..
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

2-2 after two, shots 20-17 New Hampshire...

* Guelph: Valentine (Stevens, Lemcke) - defense backs in giving clear shot on goal
                * UNH: Crookshank, 2 (Pierson, Dawson) - odd man rush
                * Guelph: Stevens (Munn, Finoro) - tip on top of crease

* UNH 1/1 PK (3/3 Game)
                * Robinson 5 saves, 1 GA (14 saves, 1 GA for game)
                * Taylor 1 save, 1 GA
                * UNH 12-8 shot advantage in second period

---

* Maine loses 5-0 (0-2, outscored 12-0) on the weekend...
                * Miami trails #17 BGSU, 2-1, surrendering two unanswered goals after opening the scoring...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

After 3, 4-3 UNH...

* UNH PP: Blackburn (Griffin, Maass)
                  * UNH: Blackburn (MacKinnon, Crookshank) - rushes in and across net front with great patience...
                  * Guelph: Aagaard (Templeton) - walks alone to front...

* UNH outshoots Guelph 17-6 (38-23 for the game)
                  * Taylor 5 saves, 1 goal against (6/2)
                  * UNH 1/2 on PP (2/3)
                  * UNH 1/1 on PK (4/4)
                  * Herrman ejected for Facemasking (second ejection for UNH)

A pretty unremarkable game and just a so-so effort five-on-five, but UNH was great on special teams killing all four penalties against and finishing 2/3 on the PP. Blackburn scores just after the expiration of the third PP as well. Good to see two guys UNH will need to score goals potting four on the night - two a piece. Typical Canadian exhibition with lots of penalties and three total ejections though it didn’t seem unnecessarily dirty except for a few specific occasions...

Hard to fault UNH goaltenders for any goals against even though Taylor’s SPCT won’t look great. All three goals against featured guys left alone or far too much time and space. Plenty to be pleased with. Plenty to clean up.

---

* Miami falls 7-4 to #17 BGSU
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    After 3, 4-3 UNH...

* UNH PP: Blackburn (Griffin, Maass)
                    * UNH: Blackburn (MacKinnon, Crookshank) - rushes in and across net front with great patience...
                    * Guelph: Aagaard (Templeton) - walks alone to front...

* UNH outshoots Guelph 17-6 (38-23 for the game)
                    * Taylor 5 saves, 1 goal against (6/2)
                    * UNH 1/2 on PP (2/3)
                    * UNH 1/1 on PK (4/4)
                    * Herrman ejected for Facemasking (second ejection for UNH)

A pretty unremarkable game and just a so-so effort five-on-five, but UNH was great on special teams killing all four penalties against and finishing 2/3 on the PP. Blackburn scores just after the expiration of the third PP as well. Good to see two guys UNH will need to score goals potting four on the night - two a piece. Typical Canadian exhibition with lots of penalties and three total ejections though it didn’t seem unnecessarily dirty except for a few specific occasions...

Hard to fault UNH goaltenders for any goals against even though Taylor’s SPCT won’t look great. All three goals against featured guys left alone or far too much time and space. Plenty to be pleased with. Plenty to clean up.

---

* Miami falls 7-4 to #17 BGSU
                    Thanks for the reflection of the game Dan..Despite some of the messy stuff (and no Gildon) I think we mixed it up fairly well. Off to Miami!!!
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Good to hear that the Cats did not suffer any season-ending injuries. Whassup with Gildon?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                        Good to hear that the Cats did not suffer any season-ending injuries. Whassup with Gildon?
                        word is he had been in a 'no contact' jersey in practice...perhaps they didn't want him out there anticipating rough play? Sato also did not dress. Hopefully a precaution and he's back on the ice this weekend...
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I was impressed by the play of both Sweeds last night. Engaras is going to be a legit center for UNH once he comes back from sitting out. Eriksson moves the puck and skated very well and seemed very poised and confident handling the puck. Freshman play that impressed included Stevenson, Griffin, and Herrmann. Seeing Herrmann get into the physical altercation in front of the net was a great sign that although a freshman he’s not afraid to get physical, something I feel UNH has lacked. His offensive time was limited but seemed as if he has more in the tank than what he showed last night. I Would have loved to see MacAdams play more. Not entirely sure on the 5 min and Game call. Didn’t seem too terrible of a hit. From a viewing standpoint I was not impressed with the amount of stoppages/long delays for replay and shoveling snow in the middle of the periods. Seems if this stays true for the season it will be hard to cary any momentum and flow throughout the game. PS what the hell is facemasking?

Comment

Originally posted by Krog Pond View Post
                            I was impressed by the play of both Sweeds last night. Engaras is going to be a legit center for UNH once he comes back from sitting out. Eriksson moves the puck and skated very well and seemed very poised and confident handling the puck. Freshman play that impressed included Stevenson, Griffin, and Herrmann. Seeing Herrmann get into the physical altercation in front of the net was a great sign that although a freshman he’s not afraid to get physical, something I feel UNH has lacked. His offensive time was limited but seemed as if he has more in the tank than what he showed last night. I Would have loved to see MacAdams play more. Not entirely sure on the 5 min and Game call. Didn’t seem too terrible of a hit. From a viewing standpoint I was not impressed with the amount of stoppages/long delays for replay and shoveling snow in the middle of the periods. Seems if this stays true for the season it will be hard to cary any momentum and flow throughout the game. PS what the hell is facemasking?
                            Great post! Facemasking? Grabbing the facemask? Really didn't think Eric needed to be tossed but maybe they were trying to make a point. Lots of time in the box for both teams. Holding was certainly a call they didn't wanna make all night that's for sure but guess that was the least of their issues. Grateful no one got hurt as these games are always a concern.

Couldn't agree more about the play of Engaras and Eriksson!!! They made a difference and can't wait til Filip is on the ice. He's a top liner if you ask me but I can see him centering the second line as well. What did we think of the Grasso/Pierson/Kelleher line? As you said the Frosh showed some good stuff.

I do have a question; what is the "womans hockey blue line club"? I noticed a flag up next to the HE teams in the rafters. I had the impression all the 'clubs' have gone by the wayside? Just curious.

Two great goals for Blackburn and Crookshank; both need to have a big year that' s all there is to it. Loved LB's second goal; what a beauty of a deke and top shelf.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I was less impressed with Hermann as I thought he looked lost and was iffy skating, McIlhaney as well. But I agree on the physicality - need some of that. That segues to my concern about last night’s first line. By our current standards they’re pretty good, but awfully small. Sometimes you can pull that off, but these guys aren’t Haydar, Collins and Saviano. If they are kept together they will need a lot of help from other lines to ensure they don’t draw all of the attention of their opponents - which they got last night from Blackburn’s line. Maybe that’s the “real” first line?
                              Thought Wyse and Maass looked good, McKinnon pretty good. Verrier looked like he took the summer off mentally and needs to get back into it. Is Dawson an eighth year senior? 😉. Seems like he’s been around forever.
                              Some of the freshmen looked fun and Robinson looked pretty solid, Taylor seemed a bit shaky at times.
                              I was hoping the boys might pull away late as the Griffins (your mascot’s not REAL) started the game with 16 skaters and lost two along the way. No such luck.
                              And finally - the are a lot of “-sons” on this team.
                              On to Miami - beat those Dolphins!
                              Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Grasso Pierson and Kelleher line is too small in my opinion. Yes we have had guys in this category before but never that small for an entire line. Saviano, Collins, Mickflicker always had guys like Martz, Aikens, Hemingway, Fornataro, Winnik out there with them. All night I was thinking please don’t break, please don’t get hurt, please don’t die every time they were getting into the physical action. Never know what those Canadians have up there sleeve. All those Guelph players have played real hockey, ECHL, AHL, OHL, QMJHL and have a chip on there shoulder as their former teammates are getting paid in the show. Crazy thing about Engras is he hasn’t seen game action in over a year and he looked that good. Give him a few games to get his legs back and he will be something special. Crookshank was the best player on the ice by far all game. That kid is skilled. Blackburn looked good but was non existent early on maybe needed to wake up from a Sunday afternoon nap just like the refs. Agree on the goaltender situation. Robinson looked good. Taylor looked a bit nervous and out of position at times. 1st goal against Taylor was on a tip, second goal Taylor went down too early. And gave up the upper portion of the net. More of a lack of game action type goal than anything too concerning. In other notes it looks like our friends from Orono will be in for a long season as Umaine had a rough weekend. 0 goals for 12 goals against all weekend.....

Comment

Working...
                                X