Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Did anyone say "If you don't beat the cupcakes, you must be the cupcake"?

Disclosure: the term "cupcakes" is a back-country skiing place name in Colorado for an avalanche case study in a slide presentation this afternoon at a workshop in Fryeburg, Maine.
    No cupcakes were discussed. Getting ready to hang a banner in that new arena? 😄
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Nice to be at the practice and STH luncheon.
      Souza on the way on a recruiting trip. Talk of the plans to "shrink the rink" when they refurbish the refrigeration system. 200 by 90 is the preferred plan...Looking to upgrade the guts of the 'Whitt for team amenities which will take private funding..
      That’s correct. 2/3 of funding coming from school, 1/3 fundraising. It’s a very large number overall.

And yes, I’m hearing either 85 or 90. Sounds like a ton of engineering involved given the granite underneath the stadium
      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
        That’s correct. 2/3 of funding coming from school, 1/3 fundraising. It’s a very large number overall.

And yes, I’m hearing either 85 or 90. Sounds like a ton of engineering involved given the granite underneath the stadium
        So what estate of a recently deceased research librarian who discovered his love of hockey in his final months will they raid this time? How about they spend ten percent of that money and increase the recruiting budget.

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
          So what estate of a recently deceased research librarian who discovered his love of hockey in his final months will they raid this time? How about they spend ten percent of that money and increase the recruiting budget.
          I'm with you 100% on the bolded part, Greg. Altering the rink's dimensions, just a lame-***** excuse.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            Actually, Greg, I think they are kidnapping pre-school children to harvest their lightly-used organs for new locker room space. 😧

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              No cupcakes were discussed. Getting ready to hang a banner in that new arena? 😄
              That's pretty funny Ref. That shiny new arena could use a banner after that BIG win over the UNH juggernaut
              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Nice to be at the practice and STH luncheon.
                Souza on the way on a recruiting trip. Talk of the plans to "shrink the rink" when they refurbish the refrigeration system. 200 by 90 is the preferred plan...Looking to upgrade the guts of the 'Whitt for team amenities which will take private funding..
                Was the talk that 200 x 90 is definitely happening or that it is being evaluated and depends on the final bids and cost?
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  Perhaps the amenities, at least, will be funded similar to the football locker room:

https://www.unhcatclubfootball.com/t...ation-project/
                  https://unhwildcats.com/news/2019/9/...to-donors.aspx

Might recruiting (operating) and facilities (capital expenditures) be in different budgets?
                  I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                    Perhaps the amenities, at least, will be funded similar to the football locker room:

Might recruiting (operating) and facilities (capital expenditures) be in different budgets?
                    Thanks for the links Darius. I didn't know the locker room was renovated. Looks great!

Comment

Precisely. I’m hearing that ~1/3 of the funds will come through fundraising.

Comment

Was the talk that 200 x 90 is definitely happening or that it is being evaluated and depends on the final bids and cost?
                        Not a done deal, either the dimensional decision or that it will happen at all. Souza’s preference is apparently for 90’ as he thinks that’s where the world - both pro and amateur - is going.
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

UNH built the Whittemore Center with an Olympic ice surface based on where they thought the world was headed in 1995. There is no need to waste money or make a knee-jerk decision based on a hunch (again)...

Rink size has long been an excuse out of the UNH program and administration. The 200x100 surface has been blamed for NCAA Performance and sub-par recruiting. The reality is those issues have nothing to do with UNH's home ice surface. Many schools have recruited to and won while playing home games on an Olympic surface. UNH plays regularly on NHL surfaces throughout the season and has ample opportunity to practice on NHL sheets at nearby facilities. They had plenty of success recruiting to the Whitt in the past, but are struggling now - interestingly enough, the sheet didn't change but the recruiters did! In 2003 they advanced to the NCAA Title Game and got their third-period, rear ends handed to them by a team that plays its home games on (wait for it) an Olympic Ice Surface. Having said all this, I would share the concern of others that the rink size debate is not rooted in actually benefiting the program (or would benefit the program in any tangible way) but is simply a way of rationalizing recent struggles...

Now if UNH is dead set on shrinking the rink - that wouldn't bother me too much (though I much prefer hockey played on the International ice). I'm afraid that investing so heavily in an irrelevant and cosmetic change like this might actually HURT the program. This is a program and athletic department that is constantly crying poor and claiming it lacks the funding to keep up with the BC's, BU's, Michigan's and Denver's of the world. Now they're talking about investing (millions?) into changing the size of their playing surface and moving tons of granite in order to reconfigure seats around said rink size? What will they NOT be able to do after spending all that money? That's my concern. If the recruiters are good enough than they can/could convince kids to play on an Olympic rink. Other's have. If they're not good enough than simply playing on a 100x90 surface isn't going to do the work for them. Plenty of programs stink on NHL or hybrid rinks...

I'd imagine moving so much rock is extremely expensive and I'd imagine that for the same amount of money they could find another way to build (even better) amenities (like a player's lounge or weight room), make regular (or even more regular) recruiting trips to B.C., the Midwest and Europe (if they're serious about recruiting here this is key), upgrade team travel (more Midwest games in front of potential recruits), make additional aesthetic upgrades to the Whitt, contribute to cost of living scholarships that bigger schools are able to offer and even mix in a third-jersey or some other such. Those would all be much better ways to cater to your student-athletes and sell yourselves to recruits. Those are all ways that are much more likely to tangibly improve a program (i.e. on ice talent and results). If any of those are sacrificed for the purpose of changing the width of Towse Rink than I will be extremely disappointed - but not surprised...

If UNH is going to raise a bunch of money and go all in - and accomplish all of this stuff - that sounds great. I'm all for it. I think we all know that is NOT the case. So, if they're still operating on a budget, than forget the rink width and put that money into more impactful areas and spread it around to make multiple impacts instead of throwing all their dollars in one basket, so to speak. Rink size is a red-herring, the more you even worry about it the more you are distracted from more affordable changes that can make much more noticeable impacts...
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            That's pretty funny Ref. That shiny new arena could use a banner after that BIG win over the UNH juggernaut
                            "Other than that, what did you think of the new arena, Mrs. Lincoln?"

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              UNH built the Whittemore Center with an Olympic ice surface based on where they thought the world was headed in 1995. There is no need to waste money or make a knee-jerk decision based on a hunch (again)...

Rink size has long been an excuse out of the UNH program and administration. The 200x100 surface has been blamed for NCAA Performance and sub-par recruiting. The reality is those issues have nothing to do with UNH's home ice surface. Many schools have recruited to and won while playing home games on an Olympic surface. UNH plays regularly on NHL surfaces throughout the season and has ample opportunity to practice on NHL sheets at nearby facilities. They had plenty of success recruiting to the Whitt in the past, but are struggling now - interestingly enough, the sheet didn't change but the recruiters did! In 2003 they advanced to the NCAA Title Game and got their third-period, rear ends handed to them by a team that plays its home games on (wait for it) an Olympic Ice Surface. Having said all this, I would share the concern of others that the rink size debate is not rooted in actually benefiting the program (or would benefit the program in any tangible way) but is simply a way of rationalizing recent struggles...

Now if UNH is dead set on shrinking the rink - that wouldn't bother me too much (though I much prefer hockey played on the International ice). I'm afraid that investing so heavily in an irrelevant and cosmetic change like this might actually HURT the program. This is a program and athletic department that is constantly crying poor and claiming it lacks the funding to keep up with the BC's, BU's, Michigan's and Denver's of the world. Now they're talking about investing (millions?) into changing the size of their playing surface and moving tons of granite in order to reconfigure seats around said rink size? What will they NOT be able to do after spending all that money? That's my concern. If the recruiters are good enough than they can/could convince kids to play on an Olympic rink. Other's have. If they're not good enough than simply playing on a 100x90 surface isn't going to do the work for them. Plenty of programs stink on NHL or hybrid rinks...

I'd imagine moving so much rock is extremely expensive and I'd imagine that for the same amount of money they could find another way to build (even better) amenities (like a player's lounge or weight room), make regular (or even more regular) recruiting trips to B.C., the Midwest and Europe (if they're serious about recruiting here this is key), upgrade team travel (more Midwest games in front of potential recruits), make additional aesthetic upgrades to the Whitt, contribute to cost of living scholarships that bigger schools are able to offer and even mix in a third-jersey or some other such. Those would all be much better ways to cater to your student-athletes and sell yourselves to recruits. Those are all ways that are much more likely to tangibly improve a program (i.e. on ice talent and results). If any of those are sacrificed for the purpose of changing the width of Towse Rink than I will be extremely disappointed - but not surprised...

If UNH is going to raise a bunch of money and go all in - and accomplish all of this stuff - that sounds great. I'm all for it. I think we all know that is NOT the case. So, if they're still operating on a budget, than forget the rink width and put that money into more impactful areas and spread it around to make multiple impacts instead of throwing all their dollars in one basket, so to speak. Rink size is a red-herring, the more you even worry about it the more you are distracted from more affordable changes that can make much more noticeable impacts...
                              Dan, good points. But at this stage in the game, and, I could be wrong, my impression that the big thing was the refrigeration system was way out of date and that was the main reason for digging up the ice etc. And while we're at it kind of thing....let's pull in the dimensions? As per recruiting, the coaching staff has been on trips to Europe; not sure where Mike Souza was jetting off Saturday afternoon. I'm behind any improvement to facilities if that's what they think will bring in the talent but, am not for making any excuses why the program isn't winning Regionals etc because of them.

To this observer UNH offers a heck of a lot and a fancy players lounge shouldn't be the deciding factor of whether or not someone wants to play there. In my short tenure as a fan (and I don't pretend to know the inside stuff) I honestly haven't heard that our player amenities, our rink, etc has been a big 'factor' for lack of recent trips to the NCAA's etc. Remains to be seen what's going to happen...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                "Other than that, what did you think of the new arena, Mrs. Lincoln?"
                                I liked it. Very nice. Cozy and comfortable. The "Cube" was interesting.

I got a kick out of the business school band when they played the theme song to "The Office." Very clever!

What's the "Mrs. Lincoln" reference?

Comment

Working...
                                X