Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    FWIIW, UNH 29th and Michigan 37th in PWR, and we beat UMass-Flagship, which is 15th PWR.
    I hope the fans on this board aren't really thinking MI is going to be an 'easy sweep'? They have a few draft picks (I know that doesn't mean a ton) and they don't exactly play a cream puff schedule; they have been in most of their games although they've lost a few of those too. What I'm trying to say if you're expecting a sweep you should wait and see because I expect it to be a formidable test...Love to be proved wrong tho!! I'm glad to see the Wolverines back at the 'Whitt; they were one of the first games I attended as a newbie Wildcat fan in '13. Of course, things were different then for both teams..

Anyway...will be fun to see a different team we don't see often at home. I know the 'Cats will be up for the test! GO 'CATS!!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      I hope the fans on this board aren't really thinking MI is going to be an 'easy sweep'? They have a few draft picks (I know that doesn't mean a ton) and they don't exactly play a cream puff schedule; they have been in most of their games although they've lost a few of those too. What I'm trying to say if you're expecting a sweep you should wait and see because I expect it to be a formidable test...Love to be proved wrong tho!! I'm glad to see the Wolverines back at the 'Whitt; they were one of the first games I attended as a newbie Wildcat fan in '13. Of course, things were different then for both teams..

Anyway...will be fun to see a different team we don't see often at home. I know the 'Cats will be up for the test! GO 'CATS!!
      I certainly never said that this was an "easy sweep" for the 'Cats. On the contrary, and as mentioned on my earlier post, it will be a sweep for UM if UNH can't put the puck in the net.
      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
        I certainly never said that this was an "easy sweep" for the 'Cats. On the contrary, and as mentioned on my earlier post, it will be a sweep for UM if UNH can't put the puck in the net.
        Exactly...all I want to see is improvement offensively, and the 'Cats to play a complete game which they are capable of. With our D doing as well as it has, UNH has a more than decent chance. I'm looking forward to seeing Johnny Beecher, Bruins prospect play. Perhaps the term 'easy sweep' wasn't what I was going for. MI plays a formidable schedule and have had some close games with ranked opponents. Hoping Pierson will be in the line up...maybe we find that out in Wednesday's presser.

They are currently winless in their division (Big 10) on the surface, they look 'loaded' with draft pics but I know that doesn't always mean something. I'd imagine the Wolverines are looking to rebound after being swept over the weekend... kinda like us. GO 'CATS!!!

ps...I love their unis colors too...haha
        Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-18-2019, 01:35 PM.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Thanks for sharing, BlackI …

https://bangordailynews.com/2019/11/...vertime/?amp=1

Interesting comments from Shea on the game-winner, which would seem to confirm my comments about him taking advantage of some momentary defensive inattention that ultimately cost UNH the contest. Also, refreshing to see the captain stepping up and taking the blame for his ill-fated penalty.

Such a shame … even if the offense isn't/wasn't clicking, the overall team defense was pretty solid for the first 57+ minutes, as even the UMaine announcers on NESN+ last night were commenting throughout how while UMaine was amassing more shots, it wasn't as if many (if any) of them were high quality, unopposed chances. Should have been a perfect road performance for a W, but it just goes to show what can happen when a program that's still re-learning how to be a winning program can drop their collective guard for a few precious seconds, at the wrong time, and first it costs you the W, and then it costs you a T.

Bummer. But if they take this experience on board, apply it and learn from it in the coming weeks, it's all good in the long run. It'll be interesting to see if UMaine uses this as a springboard to an unexpectedly strong season, or if this turns out to be a false dawn (again). Seven (7) road games coming up should tell us a lot about them and their prospects for the rest of the season too.

Will be most interesting to see; esp if Jeremy Swayman stays hot (and healthy) over these road trip games. So much more I'd like to say but I'll just leave that right there.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Today the NY Post listed the odds to win the 2020 NCAA title. UNH was listed at 100/1. Favorites were UMD at 9/2 and Denver at 8/1. Other Hockey East schools listed were:
            UMass 10/1
            BC 12/1
            PC 15/1
            Northeastern 20/1
            BU 40/1
            UML 40/1

And Michigan came in at 75/1
            Last edited by scoreboard; 11-18-2019, 05:46 PM.

Comment

KEEE-RISTE......

ONE biscuit in the net for TWO straight games???? And SOO-ZA thinks he can beat Michigan???

Don't pee on my boots and say it's rainin', I haven't seen this much scoring impotence since they started the Thursday Night Clothing Optional parties at the Ossipee Home for the Aged!!

Ya know, I've kept my yapper shut since the season started....I liked how these boys looked on the ice!! Ko-high....Maxie....Angus.... I mean, sheeeeeeeit! Soo-za may have finally turned the corner!! But a weekend in Oro-nono, no sirreee......even with BOTH Swedes on the ice!!!

I may just be on my deathbed by the time SOO-ZA and the boys can win 20 games!!!

AND CHARLIE MURRAY....YEAH, YOU CHARLIE!! I SAW YOU HEAVE THOSE PABST BLUE RIBBON EMPTIES ON MY PROPERTY!!! FOR THE LAST GAL-DURN TIME....GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!
              I'm old, I'm grouchy, GIT OVER IT!!
              AND GIT OFF MY T-HALL LAWN!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                Today the NY Post listed the odds to win the 2020 NCAA title. UNH was listed at 100/1. Favorites were UMD at 9/2 and Denver at 8/1. Other Hockey East schools listed were:
                UMass 10/1
                BC 12/1
                PC 15/1
                Northeastern 20/1
                BU 40/1
                UML 40/1

And Michigan came in at 75/1
                What about U Maine's odds? Are we ahead of them, despite getting swept in Orono?

Comment

I don't think it will be an easy sweep for UNH. They've swept one series in the last two calendar years - but any team serious about taking significant steps forward should have design on winning games like these. UNH isn't what they used to be. Despite the brand name (and that's where their title odds come from), Michigan isn't either. Neither are their opponents Michigan State and Minnesota (with OSU still facing questions about who they're going to be this season. They're 1-3-1 against their top opponents to date). UNH hasn't had an easy/sure sweep on the docket in - who knows how long? They don't have that this weekend. Michigan has talent and is certainly good enough to get a win (maybe even two) at the Whitt this weekend. A split may even be most likely, but it would still be disappointing to me and that is all I'm saying...

* UNH has the better offense (2.60 to 1.92 GPG)
                  * UNH is at home (3-0-0), Michigan is on the road (0-4-0)
                  * UNH has the best wins (#11 BC, #15 UMass // UM over #20 WMU)
                  * UNH has more talented and experienced upper-classmen
                  * Michigan's best players may be more talented, but they are younger, less experienced
                  * Michigan's upper-classes have been thinned considerably by early defections
                  * UNH's top-six scorers total 18-32--50 / Michigan's have 13-16--29
                  * UNH's PP advantage 27.3% versus UM's PK 80.6% (70% last 6 GP)
                  * UNH's PK advantage 80.0% versus UM's PP 11.8%
                  * Michigan's best player Will Lockwood expected to miss series
                  * Michigan will have to adjust to UNH's giant ice surface and adjustments like this are near impossible
                  * Two good defenses (2.40 GAA for UNH / 2.25 GAA for UM), but UNH's defense is more experienced & ill take UNH's goalie every time

This doesn't mean anything can't happen. UNH is just the better team, IMO - but hardly good enough to put the fear into anyone at this stage. They lost to Bentley and had to go to OT versus Merrimack. They do, however, have a number of advantages - most notably the PP. Michigan has struggled to kill penalties lately and UNH needs to take advantage of that with their first unit. That unit should be motivated with much to prove after last weekend, too.

The reality is that Michigan is that brand name. They're different stylistically, but in terms of winning games they might as well be Miami. Few worried about facing the RedHawks (on the road) and many were disappointed that UNH let game two get away. If Miami was coming to town, would it be unreasonable to expect UNH to have success? I probably wouldn't be the only one expecting significant success because on the front of a jersey Miami doesn't equal Michigan. Well, striped helmets aside, that is the company UM keeps these days. They, like UNH, are one of the many teams outside of the top-20 who could be thrown in a bag, mixed up and come out in any order. I would have expected UM to sweep MSU last weekend, to be honest, and they got handled in the last four periods of the weekend.

Certainly, it won't be easy. Certainly, UM could get the better of UNH. UNH clearly has its own set of problems and is capable of losing to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Still, with UNH's advantage in offensive upside, the Wildcat PP versus UM's PK, the two team's home and road splits and UNH's older/more experienced roster I'll be disappointed with anything less than three - but that's just me...
                  Last edited by Dan; 11-18-2019, 10:12 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I don't think it will be an easy sweep for UNH. They've swept one series in the last two calendar years - but any team serious about taking significant steps forward should have design on winning games like these. UNH isn't what they used to be. Despite the brand name (and that's where their title odds come from), Michigan isn't either. Neither are their opponents Michigan State and Minnesota (with OSU still facing questions about who they're going to be this season. They're 1-3-1 against their top opponents to date). UNH hasn't had an easy/sure sweep on the docket in - who knows how long? They don't have that this weekend. Michigan has talent and is certainly good enough to get a win (maybe even two) at the Whitt this weekend. A split may even be most likely, but it would still be disappointing to me and that is all I'm saying...

* Michigan's best players may be more talented, but they are younger, less experienced
                    * Michigan will have to adjust to UNH's giant ice surface and adjustments like this are near impossible
                    * Two good defenses (2.40 GAA for UNH / 2.25 GAA for UM), but UNH's defense is more experienced & ill take UNH's goalie every time

This doesn't mean anything can't happen. UNH is just the better team, IMO - but hardly good enough to put the fear into anyone at this stage. They lost to Bentley and had to go to OT versus Merrimack. They do, however, have a number of advantages - most notably the PP. Michigan has struggled to kill penalties lately and UNH needs to take advantage of that with their first unit. That unit should be motivated with much to prove after last weekend, too.

The reality is that Michigan is that brand name. They're different stylistically, but in terms of winning games they might as well be Miami. Few worried about facing the RedHawks (on the road) and many were disappointed that UNH let game two get away. If Miami was coming to town, would it be unreasonable to expect UNH to have success? Well, that is the company UM keeps these days. They, like UNH, are one of the many teams outside of the top-20 who could be thrown in a bag, mixed up and come out in any order. Certainly, it won't be easy. Certainly, UM could get the better of UNH. UNH clearly has its own set of problems and is capable of losing to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Still, with UNH's advantage in offensive upside, the Wildcat PP versus UM's PK, the two team's home and road splits and UNH's older/more experienced roster I'll still be disappointed with anything less than three - but that's just me...
                    Passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

The reality is that Michigan is that brand name. They're different stylistically, but in terms of winning games they might as well be Miami. Few worried about facing the RedHawks (on the road) and many were disappointed that UNH let game two get away. If Miami was coming to town, would it be unreasonable to expect UNH to have success? I probably wouldn't be the only one expecting significant success because on the front of a jersey Miami doesn't equal Michigan. Well, striped helmets aside, that is the company UM keeps these days. They, like UNH, are one of the many teams outside of the top-20 who could be thrown in a bag, mixed up and come out in any order. I would have expected UM to sweep MSU last weekend, to be honest, and they got handled in the last four periods of the weekend.

Certainly, it won't be easy. Certainly, UM could get the better of UNH. UNH clearly has its own set of problems and is capable of losing to anyone, anywhere, anytime. Still, with UNH's advantage in offensive upside, the Wildcat PP versus UM's PK, the two team's home and road splits and UNH's older/more experienced roster I'll be disappointed with anything less than three - but that's just me...
                      Good synopsis Dan knew I could count on you for.the reality of the weekend. Toss up it sounds like with UNH having many advantages IF they take 'em!! GO 'CATS!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

UNH should sweep, easily, if everyone is healthy and we do not take stupid needless penalties.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          What about U Maine's odds? Are we ahead of them, despite getting swept in Orono?
                          The list that appeared in the Post was edited and did not list all the teams. Maine was one of those teams.

Comment

Originally posted by GrouchyUNHer View Post
                            AND CHARLIE MURRAY....YEAH, YOU CHARLIE!! I SAW YOU HEAVE THOSE PABST BLUE RIBBON EMPTIES ON MY PROPERTY!!! FOR THE LAST GAL-DURN TIME....GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!
                            Dammit I thought no one noticed …
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Ah, ha! So Chuck and Grouchy are neighbors in east-central Cow Hampsha?

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                                Ah, ha! So Chuck and Grouchy are neighbors in east-central Cow Hampsha?
                                Daryl and his other brother Daryl who recently moved to Cow Hampsha from Vermont are close relatives!
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X