Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Well ok here's the new thread and I hope the title reflects what we are hoping for (and expecting) this season. Time to make a run and turn some heads right out of the gate! Let's go 'Cats!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

"UNH Freshman Robby Griffin: A Strong Skating, Playmaker"
    Includes a recent interview, video highlights, scouting report & stats for last 4 years.
    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
      "UNH Freshman Robby Griffin: A Strong Skating, Playmaker"
      Includes a recent interview, video highlights, scouting report & stats for last 4 years.
      Well shucks anyone who models their game after Patrice Bergeron and wears #17 is totally ok in HR's book! Welcome to the 'Cats Robby!!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

It appears that the upcoming men's and women's home games, not televised, are using CBS College Sports Live for the video feed. Does anyone know anything about this? Is YouTube or ESPN3/+ no longer being used?

Comment

ATW...did you receive your season tixs for the exhibition game today? I heard from a friend that they got theirs...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

"UNH Freshman Chase Stevenson: A Speedy, One-on-One Battler"
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Well ok here's the new thread and I hope the title reflects what we are hoping for (and expecting) this season. Time to make a run and turn some heads right out of the gate! Let's go 'Cats!
              New thread off to a roaring start; good work, HR.

Here is my second to the last post on the old off-season thread, upon which I add some commentary here.

"I second the motion for HR to launch the 2019-2020 season thread, and I will close out this off-season thread by posing the following question: Which cupcake team will suffer the worst defeat to our up and coming Cats team this season (say, by total goals differential)? :-) "

Let us take the "way back machine" to 26 November 2011, almost eight years ago. Alabama-Huntsville visited Lake Whitt bringing their 0-13-1 record with them, only to be humiliated by our Cats in a 9-1 rout, raising our record to 0.500 at 6-6-2 (our season ended with a 15-19-3 record). Stevie Moses potted four goals, Nick Sorkin five assists, Kevin Goumas four assists, and TvR (of Stanley Cup fame) 3 assists that night. Huntsville's only goal, a shortie late in the first to make the score 2-1, was scored by Sebastian Geoffrion, grandson of NHL luminary Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, whose No. 5 jersey resides in the rafters of Montreal's Bell Centre. Our co-captains that season were Damon Kipp and Mike Borisenok, the latter whose family led the charge to bring a Jumbotron to Lake Whitt.

If any team has ever met the definition of "cupcake," it was the Alabama-Huntsville Chargers in 2011-2012, with their 2-28-1 record. My question is, do our Cats have any cupcakes as worthy as that Chargers team on our schedule this season?

Comment

ATW...did you receive your season tixs for the exhibition game today? I heard from a friend that they got theirs...
                HR, yes I did get my exhibition tickets this afternoon and can't wait. Should be a fun year!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

Here is my second to the last post on the old off-season thread, upon which I add some commentary here.

"I second the motion for HR to launch the 2019-2020 season thread, and I will close out this off-season thread by posing the following question: Which cupcake team will suffer the worst defeat to our up and coming Cats team this season (say, by total goals differential)? :-) "

Let us take the "way back machine" to 26 November 2011, almost eight years ago. Alabama-Huntsville visited Lake Whitt bringing their 0-13-1 record with them, only to be humiliated by our Cats in a 9-1 rout, raising our record to 0.500 at 6-6-2 (our season ended with a 15-19-3 record). Stevie Moses potted four goals, Nick Sorkin five assists, Kevin Goumas four assists, and TvR (of Stanley Cup fame) 3 assists that night. Huntsville's only goal, a shortie late in the first to make the score 2-1, was scored by Sebastian Geoffrion, grandson of NHL luminary Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, whose No. 5 jersey resides in the rafters of Montreal's Bell Centre. Our co-captains that season were Damon Kipp and Mike Borisenok, the latter whose family led the charge to bring a Jumbotron to Lake Whitt.

If any team has ever met the definition of "cupcake," it was the Alabama-Huntsville Chargers in 2011-2012, with their 2-28-1 record. My question is, do our Cats have any cupcakes as worthy as that Chargers team on our schedule this season?
                  Wow, this is a really fun question, and I am torn...

I first went with Army, but then remembered that we are playing AT West Point. I feel like our future heroes will defend their territory as you would expect, so no big blowout there.

Then I wanted to go with the Mack on 12/6, but betting on an HEA blowout is a dicey proposition.

Sooooo, I’ll take Colgate in Belfast, who will lose to Princeton after we lose to NU. Then we will rip them by 5-6 goals.

Awesome question, Snives.
                  Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                    Wow, this is a really fun question, and I am torn...

I first went with Army, but then remembered that we are playing AT West Point. I feel like our future heroes will defend their territory as you would expect, so no big blowout there.

Then I wanted to go with the Mack on 12/6, but betting on an HEA blowout is a dicey proposition.

Sooooo, I’ll take Colgate in Belfast, who will lose to Princeton after we lose to NU. Then we will rip them by 5-6 goals.

Awesome question, Snives.
                    Would agree with this assessment (and, I can't WAIT for Ireland!!!!). Tonight I saw some stuff on the Michigan goal tending corp and I can tell you, they are def NOT cupcakes
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

It has to be Bentley, no...?

In all seriousness - UNH plays seven games against the bottom 20 of last season's Pairwise Rankings (which does not include the aforementioned Falcons who finished outside of the bottom-20, but comfortably amongst the bottom-21).

The worst rated team from 2018-19 on UNH's schedule this season IS, in fact, Merrimack (55th in 2018-19 PWR) - but the Warriors are hard to predict. One could make the argument they're the biggest cupcake, based on last season's performance and the inexperience they will feature this year with a MONSTER freshmen class. Or that infusion of newcomers could make them a much better group than last season. It remains to be seen and the fact that they are a conference opponent who UNH will face three times limits that likelihood. UNH could certainly get them once, perhaps in their early season meeting when MC is most inexperienced, but if the other two are much closer or UNH drops points in those meetings than does a single blow out even qualify?

At 46th in last year's Pairwise you have the UConn Huskies - who UNH will face just twice this season. UConn has a strong FR class incoming and UNH has struggled against the Huskies in recent seasons, so I wouldn't expect a blowout here.

That leaves a contest with Army (52nd) and a potential match-up with Colgate (50th) or Princeton (44th). However, the relative strengths of Colgate and Army is their ability to keep games lower scoring with their pace of play, defense and goaltending (both certainly lack offense). Combine that fact with UNH's still unanswered question marks on offense - as well as the expectation UNH will also win the games they do primarily from the net out - and I'm not sure there is a predictable Blow Out on the schedule. If UNH blows someone out this year its just as likely to be random as predictable and every bit as likely to be a Michigan as a Merrimack or Army. Michigan will never be a Cupcake, but they were not very good last season - and the recruiting reputations of their goalies aside neither turned in a SPCT over .895 as the Wolverines allowed over 3 GPG. That said, I'll stick with the lower end of the Pairwise and zig where DC zagged...

Ill take Colgate to BEAT Princeton in Ireland and for Princeton to be UNH's blowout victim. The Tiger's were a huge disappointment last season and lost their four best players (three who were All-American caliber) in the off-season. Its a new season, so Princeton could be anything - but there is certainly a real chance they could be notably worse than the 44th-rated team they were last year without Teves, Kuffner, Veronneau and Riche. That foursome combined for 49 of the Tigers' 83 total goals and 127 of 229 total points - I think Princeton will still struggle defensively and with so much of their offense gone (only one returning Tiger topped 10 points!) they're my best bet for UNH to run up a score...
                      Last edited by Dan; 10-03-2019, 08:07 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

Would agree with this assessment (and, I can't WAIT for Ireland!!!!). Tonight I saw some stuff on the Michigan goal tending corp and I can tell you, they are def NOT cupcakes
                        Loved my first trip to Ireland and Wales this past summer; but, even with three weeks to run around in the mountains and listen to music in the pubs, I never made it north to Belfast, where I also missed the opportunity to see one of the world's great geological features, the Giants' Causeway. I am really tempted to return late next month, but even if I do not make it, I hope that all of you enjoy Ireland as much as I did.

And, great analyses, DC and Dan; very insightful.

Comment

Who is headed to Miami next weekend? I just got a hall pass for Friday night so I am thinking of shooting up there for the night and returning Saturday morning...
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                            Who is headed to Miami next weekend? I just got a hall pass for Friday night so I am thinking of shooting up there for the night and returning Saturday morning...
                            I wanted to go but my field hockey schedule got in the way...it's quite the hike for me but was thinking of going Saturday. Anyhoo have a great time. Will be camping actually. I'll have to watch online I think they have a free feed?
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I wanted to go but my field hockey schedule got in the way...it's quite the hike for me but was thinking of going Saturday. Anyhoo have a great time. Will be camping actually. I'll have to watch online I think they have a free feed?
                              PS Dan, how good is Miami going to be this season...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X