Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD and Denver skate to a 3-3 tie - which in the NCHC means a 3x3 OT period and a shootout to determine a winner and an extra point in the standings.

Another reminder that 3x3 OT is an absolute treat. Especially between two highly skilled teams who can roll out elite talent for all five minutes. It’s just up and down, chance after chance and I love it...

Not sure how it would be perceived by HE fans of adopted - and I’m not sure I’d love it if it involved UNH (i.e. a team I really rooted for and it’s fate) - but man is it a fun display of open ice skating and skill...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      UMD and Denver skate to a 3-3 tie - which in the NCHC means a 3x3 OT period and a shootout to determine a winner and an extra point in the standings.

Another reminder that 3x3 OT is an absolute treat. Especially between two highly skilled teams who can roll out elite talent for all five minutes. It’s just up and down, chance after chance and I love it...

Not sure how it would be perceived by HE fans of adopted - and I’m not sure I’d love it if it involved UNH (i.e. a team I really rooted for and it’s fate) - but man is it a fun display of open ice skating and skill...
      Last night 3 of the 4 HE games that went to OT ended up in a tie...I'd be happy with a tie tomorrow...but would be open to 3 on 3 if I'm being totally honest?
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Last night 3 of the 4 HE games that went to OT ended up in a tie...I'd be happy with a tie tomorrow...but would be open to 3 on 3 if I'm being totally honest?
        Cats would always win 3 on 3 in OT with Gildon. :-)

Comment

UMD and Denver skate to a 3-3 tie - which in the NCHC means a 3x3 OT period and a shootout to determine a winner and an extra point in the standings.

Count me down in favor of the NCHC OT format!
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by sonar View Post
            Langway also played linebacker on a post season qualifying UNH football team. Hard to believe i actually saw those games, but the wheel does turn doesn't it ....
            I had the pleasure of watching Langway play football and hockey at UNH. He was a special athlete!
            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Terrific extended discussion about the history of top UNH defensemen, and (apologies if I'm repeating myself) I think it really highlights where UNH has tended to come up short in the past. Even looking back at the great teams at the turn of the century, the ones that almost made it … it's notable they had guys like Filipowicz and later Stafford heading up those teams. Very good at the D-1 level, but not great (I'm pretty sure neither ever made All HE First Team?) - ditto Todd Hall or Tim Murray, who enjoyed strong but not great careers, and were well-rounded guys who were about the best their teams had going for them at the back. Tim Murray always gets a bonus point for (not what you might think) … setting up Bogey for the 2OT GWG in the Snively finale in the '94 HE Quarterfinals to advance against BC.

It's too bad we couldn't graft the best of the current D-crew, or the one we had approx. 5 years ago, onto any one of those four FF teams a generation ago. Say what you will about Coach Umile's post-season patterns, etc. … and maybe he AND his legendary mentor/predecessor Charlie Holt both tended to focus recruiting on the talented guys they always found up front … in the end, an upgrade (even slight) at the back for even a half-dozen Holt/Umile teams could (should) have made the difference, at least once.

It will be interesting to see if MS7 and his guys can keep bringing in the Gildon, Wyse and Maass types, and whether that can be matched up front, as well as in goal. Robinson has panned out well after a slow start, not sure he was an MS7 guy though? And what to make of Ty Taylor's slow start?? Robinson 2.0 perhaps??? Will be one of the many interesting things to monitor as we watch the MS7 Era unfold in the coming seasons.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Terrific extended discussion about the history of top UNH defensemen, and (apologies if I'm repeating myself) I think it really highlights where UNH has tended to come up short in the past. Even looking back at the great teams at the turn of the century, the ones that almost made it … it's notable they had guys like Filipowicz and later Stafford heading up those teams. Very good at the D-1 level, but not great (I'm pretty sure neither ever made All HE First Team?) - ditto Todd Hall or Tim Murray, who enjoyed strong but not great careers, and were well-rounded guys who were about the best their teams had going for them at the back. Tim Murray always gets a bonus point for (not what you might think) … setting up Bogey for the 2OT GWG in the Snively finale in the '94 HE Quarterfinals to advance against BC.

It's too bad we couldn't graft the best of the current D-crew, or the one we had approx. 5 years ago, onto any one of those four FF teams a generation ago. Say what you will about Coach Umile's post-season patterns, etc. … and maybe he AND his legendary mentor/predecessor Charlie Holt both tended to focus recruiting on the talented guys they always found up front … in the end, an upgrade (even slight) at the back for even a half-dozen Holt/Umile teams could (should) have made the difference, at least once.

It will be interesting to see if MS7 and his guys can keep bringing in the Gildon, Wyse and Maass types, and whether that can be matched up front, as well as in goal. Robinson has panned out well after a slow start, not sure he was an MS7 guy though? And what to make of Ty Taylor's slow start?? Robinson 2.0 perhaps??? Will be one of the many interesting things to monitor as we watch the MS7 Era unfold in the coming seasons.
                Sources tell me that Robinson committed in 14...Souza joined the staff in 15. Why does that matter just curious. We expect Souza's team to recruit a goalie this season?
                Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-09-2019, 03:22 PM.
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Also, maybe someone can find some stats on Dude Thorn, who played forward for the Cats around when Snively Arena opened.
                  1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 11 7 18 x Freshmen
                  1963-64 U.New Hampshire 20 16 9 25 x NCAA
                  1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 14 8 22 x ECAC-II
                  1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 35 18 53 24 ECAC-II

Brad Houston
                  1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 10 12 22 x Freshmen
                  1963-64 U.New Hampshire x 11 8 19 x NCAA
                  1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 13 19 32 x ECAC-II
                  1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 11 25 36 71 ECAC-II
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

"UNH Power Play - #1 in the Nation"
                    Includes video highlights of all 10 UNH power plays goals this season
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                      "UNH Power Play - #1 in the Nation"
                      Includes video highlights of all 10 UNH power plays goals this season
                      Excellent compilation of our PP success thanks for posting!!! GO 'CATS!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                        1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 11 7 18 x Freshmen
                        1963-64 U.New Hampshire 20 16 9 25 x NCAA
                        1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 14 8 22 x ECAC-II
                        1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 35 18 53 24 ECAC-II

Brad Houston
                        1962-63 U.New Hampshire x 10 12 22 x Freshmen
                        1963-64 U.New Hampshire x 11 8 19 x NCAA
                        1964-65 U.New Hampshire x 13 19 32 x ECAC-II
                        1965-66 U.New Hampshire 23 11 25 36 71 ECAC-II
                        Excellent! Many thanks, Watcher! :-)

Their first two years were played in the outdoor Batchelder Rink, which had a footprint partially underneath Snively, but not sure where they played the year Snively was under construction, although perhaps Snively went up fast enough so they played their third year in Batchelder also.

Chuck, I think you are giving too much credit to Murray on Bogie's final goal in Snively, and I know that we have gone over this point before. Wish that someone could produce a film clip of that one. Watcher?

Comment

Had the (dis)pleasure of driving down to Harrisonburg today. Good “game experience”, horrible game. Which we sort of expected. Hope we end the UNH Athletics weekend on a high note.
                          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            I had the pleasure of watching Langway play football and hockey at UNH. He was a special athlete!
                            I had the pleasure of having him be my first professional sports autograph, following a slow-pitch softball league game in Rochester.

Sounds like he’s had a rough patch since retirement. There was an article in the Washington Post in the early 90’s that sort of foreshadowed tough times to come.
                            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Nice little barn here in NoDak...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

Nice little barn here in NoDak...
                                Full house?

Any talk of narrowing the width of the rink?

EDIT: Oops, I see that Engelstad is already 85 ft width. Make the Whitt Great Again! Make the Whitt like Engelstad! Just kidding. :-)
                                Last edited by Snively65; 11-09-2019, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X