Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
    As a Bruins fan, I'd like to know, what did you guys think of John Beecher? How did he look this weekend?
    I thought he was a fluid skater and should be a decent addition. Big bodied and skilled, in my view. Didn't see the entire game Saturday so no idea but, I think he's going to look great in the black and gold. Had a couple of goals Friday night. Will be interesting to see how he pans out for the future.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      After all the talk about UNH needing to get tougher, more physical and just trhow pucks at the net, they get two goals solely due to small skilled players using finesse and skill, rather than brawn. Crookshank ambushes a careless defensive pass and scores, and then, Kelleher darts in to cause a turnover without hitting anyone, and converts that turnover to a pass to Crookshank. That's not even to mention super skilled Gildon's one-timer.

Maybe instead of seeking "200 foot players" who go into dirty areas we focus on skilled players, and play to the rink, rather than change the rink to fit other players. If I never see another 6'1 or taller player at UNH I'll be OK.

On that, a 3 point night for 5'10 John Evans last night:
      https://bchl.ca/stats/player/5588/40/john-evans
      What Charlie K did to get that pass in OT to Crookshank...unreal! And Crookshank...silky and smooth in his play making and goal scoring. Of course there are situations out there when 'size matters' like when Wyse was able to drive Johnny Beecher off his path to goal last night in the OT. I used to have a FH player that weighed 90 pounds soaking wet but boy was she strong and fast. Scored a ton of goals. In this game if you are 'undersized' to typical 'standards' you find a way...and we have players who 'find the way'. GO 'CATS!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Enjoyed watching what I could of the game last night....funny thing I noticed about Filip Engaras.....the kid can win faceoffs!!! ….and also what a competitor Angus Crookshank is. In the post game presser he was asked "what are you looking forward to most in going to Ireland"? His reply "playing hockey". It was obvious just watching one period (and OT) that the game plan was pucks to the net boys and that's just what they did. Happy for the split and happy to see that game plan bring dividends. Of course didn't see the whole game (going to watch it) but we head to Ireland above 500! GO 'CATS!!!
        I noticed that about Filip too. I think it was a good night at the faceoff circle. 10-5 after one but only 15(+/-) - 20 after 2, not sure game totals. We did notice that Robby was put out to take a faceoff late in the game. That was a good sign! Loved the team hustle most of the night, we all saw what happens when they relax and get lazy, but everyone had some strong moments and made the big guys crazy. you can see this manifest when a team gets physical after the whistle more than during the game - frustration!
        Filip was announced as not "flashy" but strong in all 3 zones. His goals are just waiting to come and i think we will see them soon. Is a great addition, the bottom 6 did themselves proud when they got a chance and it is nice to see Fregona respond to more ice and more skilled linemates as he play up last night.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          I noticed that about Filip too. I think it was a good night at the faceoff circle. 10-5 after one but only 15(+/-) - 20 after 2, not sure game totals. We did notice that Robby was put out to take a faceoff late in the game. That was a good sign! Loved the team hustle most of the night, we all saw what happens when they relax and get lazy, but everyone had some strong moments and made the big guys crazy. you can see this manifest when a team gets physical after the whistle more than during the game - frustration!
          Filip was announced as not "flashy" but strong in all 3 zones. His goals are just waiting to come and i think we will see them soon. Is a great addition, the bottom 6 did themselves proud when they got a chance and it is nice to see Fregona respond to more ice and more skilled linemates as he play up last night.
          Thanks for the review of Engaras and Co. Noticed that we won the faceoff stats by I think a couple? I know that most here think that's a useless stat but I still say it's a key to possession and in the OT, Chase Stevenson (or was it Griffin) won a faceoff just prior to the goal so I rest my case I agree; his (Filip) goals are coming and hope to see that in Ireland!!! Any other 'Cats fans gonna be there? We are getting ready to go this weekend....can't wait. (the jet lag thoooo) Not being a Guiness fan, hmmm what to do???

Glad to see Fregona getting more ice time out there; he like a 'diamond in the rough' IMHO....Onward 'Cats!

Comment

I think Blackburn made a statement last night. His lone forecheck on the Mich PP midway thru the third was a textbook display of hustle and intensity.
            Sato is going to draw a lot of penalties with his speed, now that he has the confidence to drive the net. The other thing I noticed is that he draws attention away from his teammates, again with his speed, that allows them more space and freedom. I’m not sure which lines he and Crookshank were on last night, due to the recent MS shuffle of the deck, but I could support those two together on the PP.

Comment

Lest I forget...that these are student athletes who are juggling school with hockey. Recognizing these players receive monetary reward for their talents (scholis) they are not professional athletes. We all know what they go through to finally land on the ice and pull the infamous Blue and White over their heads for the first time. Doesn't mean we hold them to an inpeccable standard for their results of course but I'm thankful for their efforts (which at times seems herculean!!!) as I know probably all who post here on our board or the rest are. Grateful for the highs and even the lows are part of the connection. In the end, it's been worth it!! And grateful beyond words too for the people I've met here; you enrich my life!! Lots of laughs and talks about the 'Cats that I'm so glad I have.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving if that's what you celebrate! Will report from Belfast and hope to meet other Friendship Four tourney goers in the process!

GO 'CATS!!

Comment

...Any other 'Cats fans gonna be there? We are getting ready to go this weekend....can't wait. (the jet lag thoooo) Not being a Guiness fan, hmmm what to do???...
                Can't speak for Cats fans but this Husky fan will be there. Not being a Guinness (note the double n) fan shouldn't pose any problems whatsoever. Spend some time at Rockies (which, for my money, is the Mother of All Hockey Bars)...located on the ground floor of the arena building (shades of the old Iron Horse). It's owned by a Canadian expat, serves every brew and spirit imaginable, and has more hockey memorabilia on the walls than you'll have time to look at.

Win, lose, or draw, "Good Craic"
                "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Pleased to see UNH dig out of their recent rut with another OT win. Looking back over the last couple of weekends, if someone said UNH would take a split out of those four games, I'm guessing most on here (definitely me) would have taken that and run with it. And barring the (dumb) late penalty in the second game last weekend, that's easily how this all could have played out.

There's a stretch of 7 games coming up, before and after the break, where UNH has a chance to compile some results before the stretch run of the HE regular season. I'd like to see them win about 5 of those (possibly a stretch but attainable), and then test themselves against the rest of HE. UNH is playing .500 hockey in the conference right now, which could land them anywhere in between #4 and #8, since no one is really running away with things (yet). My goal for the program this year is to get to Boston, anything more than that is a bonus. The last two weekends seem to suggest what while their quick start may have been a little illusory, they're really not that far off being the kind of team that can indeed get to Boston, if MS7 & Company can coach them up and finish strong. Maybe the most interesting thing I'm watching now that MS7 is well and truly in charge is, do the late season swoons of his predecessor continue OR do things start to take on a different arc under the new regime? Time will tell.

Anyway, now that the hockey stuff is put to bed for the weekend, WIS' attention now turns to Plymouth ...

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Wow! I am really glad that I did not need to post that Carl Palmer and his young band mates played better at the FM than our Cats at the Whitt tonight. :-)

And, thanks to all you old timers for endorsing my decision to hear Carl Palmer's band live tonight. They were awesome.
                  Originally posted by msprice View Post
                  How about that kid on the Chapman stick? Pretty impressive.
                  Have to admit, even though last night's commitments that kept me away from Durham AND Plymouth were well worth the while, there's a huge part of me that missed seeing the latest visit of CP's "ELP Legacy". Snives (and you too Pricey, assuming you were there or have seen them before) … glad you enjoyed "the show that never ends". There was a nice write-up in the Union Leader last week in advance of the show, and hopefully the turnout was good up there. One thing I'm hearing from some folks who've seen earlier shows on the tour … is it true the guitarist (Paul) is actually doing some singing this time around? I've heard he's not exactly Greg Lake vocally - then again, few are - but on past tours, there haven't been any real vocals, and I'm wondering what you guys made of it IF there were? Definitely would open up some of the ELP songbook if the kid can do a passable job vocally.

Ironic that Paul looks like a dead ringer for what Carl looked like in the very early years of ELP.

Simon Fitz-something on the bass/Chapman stick has some amazing chops, reminds me a little bit of Billy Sheehan on the bass when I was (much) younger. I think it's a testament to Carl's determination that he's signed up two young(er) players with huge chops to challenge himself as he approaches age 70. CP was always the one who took care of himself the best, but drums are a much more physical proposition, given the dexterity, technique and power with which he plays … so that he can not only keep up but set the pace for these guys is pretty amazing. He's not as fast or as powerful as he was even 5-10 years ago, but time does rob you of that eventually. And for me, still, the greatest testament to the complexity of what Emerson used to do on the keys is that it takes two virtuoso types to recreate his live performances.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving holiday weekend with your families and friends. Go UNH!!
                  Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                  Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                    Can't speak for Cats fans but this Husky fan will be there. Not being a Guinness (note the double n) fan shouldn't pose any problems whatsoever. Spend some time at Rockies (which, for my money, is the Mother of All Hockey Bars)...located on the ground floor of the arena building (shades of the old Iron Horse). It's owned by a Canadian expat, serves every brew and spirit imaginable, and has more hockey memorabilia on the walls than you'll have time to look at.

Win, lose, or draw, "Good Craic"
                    Thanks for the response! Question: Can anyone get tickets to the "Thanksgiving Gala" Thursday night or were those only for people who selected the actual tour package? And...here's a loaded q, UNH will wear blue for our game v NU I assume? Same to you; enjoy your trip maybe we somehow meet up!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Pleased to see UNH dig out of their recent rut with another OT win. Looking back over the last couple of weekends, if someone said UNH would take a split out of those four games, I'm guessing most on here (definitely me) would have taken that and run with it. And barring the (dumb) late penalty in the second game last weekend, that's easily how this all could have played out.

There's a stretch of 7 games coming up, before and after the break, where UNH has a chance to compile some results before the stretch run of the HE regular season. I'd like to see them win about 5 of those (possibly a stretch but attainable), and then test themselves against the rest of HE. UNH is playing .500 hockey in the conference right now, which could land them anywhere in between #4 and #8, since no one is really running away with things (yet). My goal for the program this year is to get to Boston, anything more than that is a bonus. The last two weekends seem to suggest what while their quick start may have been a little illusory, they're really not that far off being the kind of team that can indeed get to Boston, if MS7 & Company can coach them up and finish strong. Maybe the most interesting thing I'm watching now that MS7 is well and truly in charge is, do the late season swoons of his predecessor continue OR do things start to take on a different arc under the new regime? Time will tell.

Anyway, now that the hockey stuff is put to bed for the weekend, WIS' attention now turns to Plymouth ...

Have to admit, even though last night's commitments that kept me away from Durham AND Plymouth were well worth the while, there's a huge part of me that missed seeing the latest visit of CP's "ELP Legacy". Snives (and you too Pricey, assuming you were there or have seen them before) … glad you enjoyed "the show that never ends". There was a nice write-up in the Union Leader last week in advance of the show, and hopefully the turnout was good up there. One thing I'm hearing from some folks who've seen earlier shows on the tour … is it true the guitarist (Paul) is actually doing some singing this time around? I've heard he's not exactly Greg Lake vocally - then again, few are - but on past tours, there haven't been any real vocals, and I'm wondering what you guys made of it IF there were? Definitely would open up some of the ELP songbook if the kid can do a passable job vocally.

Ironic that Paul looks like a dead ringer for what Carl looked like in the very early years of ELP.

Simon Fitz-something on the bass/Chapman stick has some amazing chops, reminds me a little bit of Billy Sheehan on the bass when I was (much) younger. I think it's a testament to Carl's determination that he's signed up two young(er) players with huge chops to challenge himself as he approaches age 70. CP was always the one who took care of himself the best, but drums are a much more physical proposition, given the dexterity, technique and power with which he plays … so that he can not only keep up but set the pace for these guys is pretty amazing. He's not as fast or as powerful as he was even 5-10 years ago, but time does rob you of that eventually. And for me, still, the greatest testament to the complexity of what Emerson used to do on the keys is that it takes two virtuoso types to recreate his live performances.

Hope you all have a great Thanksgiving holiday weekend with your families and friends. Go UNH!!
                      Enjoy the "Craic" Ref. Slainte!
                      UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Thanks for the response! Question: Can anyone get tickets to the "Thanksgiving Gala" Thursday night or were those only for people who selected the actual tour package? And...here's a loaded q, UNH will wear blue for our game v NU I assume? Same to you; enjoy your trip maybe we somehow meet up!
                        AFAIK, the gala is open only go those on the organized tour. But connections and contacts can sometimes get things done so would suggest working whatever UNH Athletics contacts you may have. (Might help to send $$$$)

As for unis, I have no clue as to how who wears which color is decided. IIRC, four years ago, NU wore black the first night and white the next.
                        Last edited by Split-N; 11-24-2019, 08:03 PM.
                        "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Lest I forget...that these are student athletes who are juggling school with hockey. Recognizing these players receive monetary reward for their talents (scholis) they are not professional athletes. We all know what they go through to finally land on the ice and pull the infamous Blue and White over their heads for the first time. Doesn't mean we hold them to an inpeccable standard for their results of course but I'm thankful for their efforts (which at times seems herculean!!!) as I know probably all who post here on our board or the rest are. Grateful for the highs and even the lows are part of the connection. In the end, it's been worth it!! And grateful beyond words too for the people I've met here; you enrich my life!! Lots of laughs and talks about the 'Cats that I'm so glad I have.

Hoping everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving if that's what you celebrate! Will report from Belfast and hope to meet other Friendship Four tourney goers in the process!

GO 'CATS!!
                          Hear, hear!!

I have to keep reminding myself of exactly what you said above. Safe travels to Belfast and have a blast Ref!!
                          UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I asked Paul Bielatowicz and Simon Fitzpatrick what it is like trying to keep up with the old dude when the three of them were signing stuff in the lobby after the show. They laughed and said that thankfully they were flying home the next day. Will write more when I have a better cell phone signal.

Edit: last spring David Pastorius (nephew of Jaco) covered for Simon on tour when Simon was home for birth of his first child.
                            Last edited by Snively65; 11-26-2019, 07:25 PM.

Comment

And on a grumpier note (there's one in every crowd):

What's with the video show between the introductions of the visiting team and the Cats? Distracting, unnecessary, stops the energy flow.

What's with Crookshank's goal not being in one of USCHO's "Top 5 Plays of the Week"? Certainly deserved it over those chosen.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB View Post
                                And on a grumpier note (there's one in every crowd):

What's with the video show between the introductions of the visiting team and the Cats? Distracting, unnecessary, stops the energy flow.

What's with Crookshank's goal not being in one of USCHO's "Top 5 Plays of the Week"? Certainly deserved it over those chosen.
                                I’m with you, don’t like it at all.
                                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X