Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Well, there’s the lesson in what happens when you’re overly dependent on the PP and a handful of top scorers and they all have off nights. It’s bound to happen and that’s why you need better depth scoring at 5x5...
    Sato = "depth scoring" (in fact, leads team in goals scored).

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Sato = "depth scoring" (in fact, leads team in goals scored).
      If I told you before the season Sato had five goals in nine games you’d probably guess that UNH was getting nice depth scoring - BUT he leads the team in goals, is playing in the top six and on the 2nd PP and is amongst six Wildcats who have scored 22 of the team’s 25 goals. At this point Sato is not depth scoring, in fact he’s one of the team’s best scorers (and may be creating more chances than anyone on the team right now)...

The guy you’d like to see add even a little depth to the ‘G’ column on UNH’s stat sheet is Liam Blackburn. Regardless of what line he plays on he’s a finisher this team counts on and his goose-egging it to this point really hurts...

He’s a senior. He’s gotta bear down and find a way to overcome his early struggles - as simple as that...
      Last edited by Dan; 11-16-2019, 12:07 AM.
      Live Free or Die!!
      Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Pierson: 0 SOG.

Tonight is the night to steal one in Orono.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

If I told you before the season Sato had five goals in nine games you’d probably guess that UNH was getting nice depth scoring - BUT he leads the team in goals, is playing in the top six and on the 2nd PP and is amongst six Wildcats who have scored 22 of the team’s 25 goals. At this point Sato is not depth scoring, in fact he’s one of the team’s best scorers (and may be creating more chances than anyone on the team right now)...

The guy you’d like to see add even a little depth to the ‘G’ column on UNH’s stat sheet is Liam Blackburn. Regardless of what line he plays on he’s a finisher this team counts on and his goose-egging it to this point really hurts...

He’s a senior. He’s gotta bear down and find a way to overcome his early struggles - as simple as that...
          Ok, I interpreted depth scoring to be anything other than the first line and first D pair. Agreed on Blackburn; another inexplicable poor start, like last year, but trust that he will come around. As for the likes of Fregona, Sacco, and MacAdams, and Esposito, I have not seen anything from them the past one to three years to suggest that they might become goal scorers. As for the three freshmen Stevenson, Griffin, and Hermann, no expectations this year from me. More than a couple goals by any of the above seven would surprise me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
            Pierson: 0 SOG.

Tonight is the night to steal one in Orono.
            Nowhere to go but up!! Go 'CATS!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              Nowhere to go but up!! Go 'CATS!!
              Actually, I disagree. We just came off a three-game winning streak, including an upset win over the at-the-time #2 ranked team in the nation. There is definitely a possibility of going downhill from here, but I am hoping not.

How did Engaras perform?
              Last edited by Snively65; 11-16-2019, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Actually, I disagree. We just came off a three-game winning streak, including an upset win over the at-the-time #2 ranked team in the nation. There is definitely a possibility of going downhill from here, but I am hoping not.

How did Engaras perform?
                Actually I was referring to Darius' comment about Pierson 0 SOG....Of course I recognize our recent achievements and also recognize it's tough to sustain that but we have to be scoring goals and that's that. Anyway...Engaras did not play last night they expect him on the ice tonight. Looking forward..GO 'CATS!!
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Actually I was referring to Darius' comment about Pierson 0 SOG....Of course I recognize our recent achievements and also recognize it's tough to sustain that but we have to be scoring goals and that's that. Anyway...Engaras did not play last night they expect him on the ice tonight. Looking forward..GO 'CATS!!
                  Pierson got injured evidently. Bangor daily says he was in a sling after the game.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                    Pierson got injured evidently. Bangor daily says he was in a sling after the game.
                    Oh that's too bad!!!! Hope hes ok thanks for sharing.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Ok, I interpreted depth scoring to be anything other than the first line and first D pair. Agreed on Blackburn; another inexplicable poor start, like last year, but trust that he will come around. As for the likes of Fregona, Sacco, and MacAdams, and Esposito, I have not seen anything from them the past one to three years to suggest that they might become goal scorers. As for the three freshmen Stevenson, Griffin, and Hermann, no expectations this year from me. More than a couple goals by any of the above seven would surprise me.
                      For me - the difference between the production of UNH's six highest scorers and the rest of the roster is stark. That is the biggest problem. That’s where I draw the line for bulk scoring and depth options at present...

I don’t really disagree with your scouting report on the scoring talent on the rest of the roster. it’s concerning. That said, 1-1.5 goals a piece (on average) from the depth skaters beyond the current top-six goal scorers and Blackburn (who is another case entirely) would result in 25-37.5 total goals the rest of the regular season...

Even just 25 goals, in the remaining 25 games - just one per contest - from the other 18 players on the roster (1.38 G/PLY) would be a massive improvement over the current 3 goals in 9 games played...

UNH got that type of depth scoring last season - the Wildcats top six scorers accounted for 57 goals, the rest of the roster had 33. Or just about a goal per game.

This year - UNH’s top-six goal scorers boast 22 goals in 9 games (2.44/GM). They’re scoring at a far better rate than last season when the netted just 1.58/GM (57/36). The PP, even after last night, is clicking at a rate nearly ten percent better than last season.

UNH’s problem the last few seasons has not been attracting and developing talent. They haven’t developed enough. Most importantly they haven’t put together complete rosters where the bottom half can support the top half to the necessary degree...

If UNH can get close to 1.00 more goals per game from their depth and a return to form from Blackburn then (even with some regression from their top-six and their PP) the team could approach 3.33 to 3.50 G/GM over the rest of the season. If they score at that rate they’re looking at a trip to Boston with a real chance to make the NCAA Tournament (perhaps even at large)...

If they don’t get those boosts, then at least the first PP skaters will give us a good show for another 27-28 games, but the task of reaching any real improvement over the last couple seasons gets a whole lot more difficult and includes more games like last night’s...

—-

50 goals the rest of the way from the current top six - 2.00/GM
                      25 goals from the bottom 18 - 1.00/GM
                      8 goals from Blackburn - 0.32/GM
                      TOTAL - 3.32/GM

All told that’s a 108 goal season for UNH. Is there any of the three groups anyone doesn’t think has the skill to hit those goal marks? It seems very doable to me, but will they...

Starts tonight, against an elite goalie and (maybe/likely?) without Pierson.

So, no pressure...
                      Last edited by Dan; 11-16-2019, 03:56 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• And Engaras takes his first shift as a Wildcat!!!
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Great first PP swayman huge...
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Oh that's too bad!!!! Hope hes ok thanks for sharing.
                            So I see Blackburn is second line center tonight so is BlackI Blackout?
                            UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

For me - the difference between the production of UNH's six highest scorers and the rest of the roster is stark. That is the biggest problem. That’s where I draw the line for bulk scoring and depth options at present...

I don’t really disagree with your scouting report on the scoring talent on the rest of the roster. it’s concerning. That said, 1-1.5 goals a piece (on average) from the depth skaters beyond the current top-six goal scorers and Blackburn (who is another case entirely) would result in 25-37.5 total goals the rest of the regular season...

Even just 25 goals, in the remaining 25 games - just one per contest - from the other 18 players on the roster (1.38 G/PLY) would be a massive improvement over the current 3 goals in 9 games played...

UNH got that type of depth scoring last season - the Wildcats top six scorers accounted for 57 goals, the rest of the roster had 33. Or just about a goal per game.

This year - UNH’s top-six goal scorers boast 22 goals in 9 games (2.44/GM). They’re scoring at a far better rate than last season when the netted just 1.58/GM (57/36). The PP, even after last night, is clicking at a rate nearly ten percent better than last season.

UNH’s problem the last few seasons has not been attracting and developing talent. They haven’t developed enough. Most importantly they haven’t put together complete rosters where the bottom half can support the top half to the necessary degree...

If UNH can get close to 1.00 more goals per game from their depth and a return to form from Blackburn then (even with some regression from their top-six and their PP) the team could approach 3.33 to 3.50 G/GM over the rest of the season. If they score at that rate they’re looking at a trip to Boston with a real chance to make the NCAA Tournament (perhaps even at large)...

If they don’t get those boosts, then at least the first PP skaters will give us a good show for another 27-28 games, but the task of reaching any real improvement over the last couple seasons gets a whole lot more difficult and includes more games like last night’s...

—-

50 goals the rest of the way from the current top six - 2.00/GM
                              25 goals from the bottom 18 - 1.00/GM
                              8 goals from Blackburn - 0.32/GM
                              TOTAL - 3.32/GM

All told that’s a 108 goal season for UNH. Is there any of the three groups anyone doesn’t think has the skill to hit those goal marks? It seems very doable to me, but will they...

Starts tonight, against an elite goalie and (maybe/likely?) without Pierson.

So, no pressure...
                              Good "depth" analysis, Dan.

HR, looks like Pearson did indeed go downhill from his 0 SOG, given his arm is now in a sling?

How is Engaras playing?

Comment

Good "depth" analysis, Dan.

HR, looks like Pearson did indeed go downhill from his 0 SOG, given his arm is now in a sling?

How is Engaras playing?
                                Great!!!!
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X