Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    I would agree they need the time to meld with the college game but I think we have to see more goal scoring period. Compared to most HE teams we arent exactly lighting the lamp like I'm sure the coaches would like. A few of our veteran forwards have very low numbers while others (like Kelleher) are clipping along. Maybe I'm wrong on that would have to delve into the stats more? This weekend is a good time to fire that scoring machine up I'd say 😎
    New contest: who wants in? The over/under is 89 goals scored this season? How did I come up with that number?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      New contest: who wants in? The over/under is 89 goals scored this season? How did I come up with that number?
      Algorithm based on player last name, age they began playing hockey, name of hometown, and year of high school graduation. Am I close?
      GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
        Algorithm based on player last name, age they began playing hockey, name of hometown, and year of high school graduation. Am I close?
        Not even remotely close. :-)

EDIT: But, here is a hint. I do not think that our 24 goals in the first eight game is all that bad.
        Last edited by Snively65; 11-13-2019, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          I would agree they need the time to meld with the college game but I think we have to see more goal scoring period. Compared to most HE teams we arent exactly lighting the lamp like I'm sure the coaches would like. A few of our veteran forwards have very low numbers while others (like Kelleher) are clipping along. Maybe I'm wrong on that would have to delve into the stats more? This weekend is a good time to fire that scoring machine up I'd say 😎
          Another way to look at how well a team is doing in the goal scoring department is to look at the number of "clutch goals" scored. By clutch, I mean scoring a game-tying goal when they were headed for a loss or scoring a game-winning goal when they were headed for a tie. Using that definition, UNH has scored 5 clutch goals in 8 games:

2nd Miami game - Grasso scored game-tying goal w/5:46 left in regulation.
          Merrimack - Kelleher scored the game-winner 27 seconds into the overtime period.
          Boston College - Crookshank scored game-winner 2:15 into overtime.
          Dartmouth - Kelleher scored game-winning goal with just 9 seconds left in overtime.
          UMass - Gildon scored game-winning goal with 11:31 left in the second period.

In addition, Wyse scored another type of clutch goal - scoring an empty net goal with 28 seconds left in regulation against UMass to insure the victory.
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            Another way to look at how well a team is doing in the goal scoring department is to look at the number of "clutch goals" scored. By clutch, I mean scoring a game-tying goal when they were headed for a loss or scoring a game-winning goal when they were headed for a tie. Using that definition, UNH has scored 5 clutch goals in 8 games:

2nd Miami game - Grasso scored game-tying goal w/5:46 left in regulation.
            Merrimack - Kelleher scored the game-winner 27 seconds into the overtime period.
            Boston College - Crookshank scored game-winner 2:15 into overtime.
            Dartmouth - Kelleher scored game-winning goal with just 9 seconds left in overtime.
            UMass - Gildon scored game-winning goal with 11:31 left in the second period.

In addition, Wyse scored another type of clutch goal - scoring an empty net goal with 28 seconds left in regulation against UMass to insure the victory.
            Appreciate this perspective C-H-C...and yes, it's been very exciting to see us 'win those games' as in the past, they might have slipped away. Obviously it's not all about the amount of goals that are scored that can lead to a win. UNH is doing a much better job in some of the areas that were costly a few seasons ago. Can only pay off for them if they can keep it going and build on it.

Another thing to look at I would think is goals scored by teams we've played against us. For example, coming into the UMass game the Minutemen were averaging what, 4 plus goals/game? Nice job by the D to limit them. As Greg pointed out UNH was able to stymie/handle what was thrown at them, and, with the stellar play by Mike Robinson and the D...we won that game fair and square even with having only 3 shots in the 3rd. BU we could not buy a goal (well, we DID have one but you know the story there ) and there are going to be games like that.

I took the time to look at stats from 2013, 2014 and 2015 the other day, just being curious about how many goals we put up during that time. Had to keep in mind we went deeper into the post season but in a couple of those seasons I believe we scored 20, 25 more goals than say last season. (90) Of course, we had a ton of OT's and many 1 goal games. Scoring isn't easy in this sport today like it might have been in the Snively arena days from what I gather.

Not trying to demean the abilities of our team in this area but offensive production is key to going deep. What you describe is also a key component to winning games, esp the closely contested ones!! I loved what I saw with keeping possession in the offensive zone, a stronger fore check which can only enable us to put points up with our current skill set.

What can we expect from our Maine series? Big time goal tending; am not up on their offensive stats. What do the 'Cats have to do to get a couple of W's this weekend? Discuss! GO 'CATS!!
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-13-2019, 01:39 PM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Sunday night's game in DC sealed my contempt for not only the home team, but for its fans as well.

G Astrs G
              And, not only are the Astros losahs, but turns out that they are cheats, as well. :-)

Now back to hockey and music; Wolverines and Carl Palmer a mere 10 days away.

Comment

I just lost a long post when I was logged out while writing it - so I’m going to post this in bits and pieces. UNH’s lack of scoring IS a problem - both in what it means this season and beyond...

UNH is averaging just 3.00 goals per game through 8 contests - this puts them right smack dab in the range of average as they’re tied for 21st in scoring with six other teams right now. Three goals a night may be enough to win a number of games this season - especially with how the team defense is performing (2.38 GA/G), most notably on the blue line and in goal - but if UNH wants to compete in HE and battle for an NCAA Tournament spot they’re going to need to produce more offense. That said, it’s not even really their goals/game average that’s the problem - it’s consistency, depth and the level of completion they’ve faced to date....

—-

* UNH has 24 goals in 8 games currently - their rate of scoring 3.0/G is what it is. Scoring ‘clutch’ goals is nice but it doesn’t change their overall ability to score. First you’d have to believe that they try harder late or in OT. They’re trying to score every time over the boards and 3.0 is their number. It doesn’t jump to 3.5 because a goal is scored in OT. If anything, the clutch goals indicate what a fine line they’ve walked so far in terms of goal differential and the difference more scoring could make. It’s also illustrative of just how good the defense has been in limiting opponents to give those late goals the opportunity to mean what they’ve meant...

* UNH scored 10 goals at Miami. Since then they’ve scored 14 goals in 6 games for 2.33 goals per game. Miami ranks 58th nationally in goals against and just gave up 12 in a weekend at North Dakota...

* In addition to Miami (58th), UNH has faced the 9th, 26th, 36th, 42nd, 51st and 54th scoring defenses in the country. The competition is going to get tougher. UNH needs to get better along with the schedule...

* Against top-50 scoring defenses UNH has six goals in four games for a rate of 1.5 goals per game.

* UNH has scored 11 of its 24 goals on the PP. Their 5x5 scoring has not been up to par and needs to improve. Their PP should be a weapon all season, but they’re not going to get 1-2 PPG every night - especially against better competition. Can they win moving forward if the PP has an off night...

* Six players have scored 21 of UNH’s 24 goals. That is 88%. The other three goals have all been scored by defensemen - leaving three other defensemen and forwards 6-16 with a combined zero goals in 80 games. It’s not just the FR forwards/class. If a team focuses on limiting UNH’s top line and PP who steps up? Can the top line continue to produce at this rate when they garner the type of attention that comes with being the sole line scoring goals. UNH’s depth needs to step up in a big way - starting with Blackburn (and a, returning this weekend, Filip Engaras). There are 26 games remaining in the regular season - imagine the difference 26 goals from depth (instead of what would be 9 at the current pace) could make for this team...

* It’s not just about this season. Take a look at the UNH recruiting thread. Cafarelli is averaging a PPG in the BCHL and Richels (who will tear up his HS season) hasn’t started playing yet. The rest of the UNH recruits have scored 11 goals in 136 man-games for a scoring rate of 0.08 GPG. UNH’s defense will take a massive hit this season when the top pair (as good as any pair in the country) moves on. Depending on the success the team and top individuals have this season - the goalie and a couple others may have the chance to join them. That goal differential is going to have to be made up one way or another...

* Stutzle isn’t coming. Current experienced goal scorers will graduate. If UNH has any hope of sustaining success it starts with goal production from younger players and recruits. Who fills in the gaps when an already top heavy scoring load begins to lose its biggest contributors.

* Recruiting needs to capitalize on the wins UNH has put together and scoring goals needs to be a priority. Along with replacing two elite D and grabbing a goaltender of the future (no pressure). Otherwise whatever success they have this season could be a one off...

—-

Now all that said - they may not need to improve TOO much with the way the D/G are playing. But better depth of scoring (outside of the top-six goal scorers UNH needed 33 goals from the rest of its roster just to get to 90 last season - right Snively, 90?) and increased production 5x5 (72% of goals in 2018-19 / 54% currently) could make a HUGE difference getting this team where they want to go...

Certainly none of this is insurmountable or promised to be a season long problem - but it should be a point of emphasis for the team right now, without a doubt. What they need to improve upon to have a truly successful season is clear - and how great is it to have learned that lesson while racing out to a 5-2-1 start...

Scoring is down in college hockey - UNH will never regularly score 4.5 goals per game like they used too - but if they can get to 3.25 goals per game up from 2.5 GPG a season (combined with a D that has already cut GAA significantly) they can swap goal differential by over a tally a night and they’re a true HE top-4 and NCAA Tournament threat this season, with something truly tangible to sell for the future...
                Last edited by Dan; 11-13-2019, 07:20 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                  The first time we were asked that question, “which boy on the team is yours,” was by Nick Poole’s mother. That would have been 1993 or 1994 when we were in our early forties. Those types of questions lasted for maybe another ten years or so. Fortunately I have never been asked “which kid was my grandson.”

As for the Haydars, no one like them before or since. The most sociable hockey parents I have ever met. Yes, they were completely invested in what Darren was doing, especially since they made the 18 hour round trip from Milton, Ontario every weekend for four years. But they made a point to establish friendships along the way. We met them the first weekend of Darren’s freshman year, in Burlington. Start of a great four year ride. We were fortunate to meet up with them, along Darren and his family, in Milton this past April just prior to the FF in Buffalo. Great to reminisce.
                  I think I can top dgerry, and his bday, Greg...

I used to wear a Nick Poole jersey as a 7th-Grader in 1993-94!

I also learned this summer, Greg, that one of my best elementary school friends had a father grinding with you around that time on the FOH board...

Last edited by Dan; 11-13-2019, 07:26 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatfan_GoNH View Post
                    Troubling freshmen stats:

- Combined points so far = 1
                    - Combined +/- so far = -12 (no one positive)
                    - Combined games played so far = 29

I hope these begin to improve. If they do and the remaining team continues to perform accordingly, baring injuries, this team should remain competitive
                    I think the most important number here is 29.

Need to play the freshman now so they get experience and improve, leading to a stronger second half and future years. I just worry about Souza shortening the bench quickly during games. Unlike Umile at least he is dressing the freshman.
                    "Now Progress Takes Away What Forever Took To Find" Dave Matthews Band, The Dreaming Tree

Comment

• Excited that finally Filip Engaras will be on the ice this weekend. Any speculation on what line he plays amd with whom? Cannot wait to see what he brings to the mix. GO 'CATS!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        I just lost a long post when I was logged out while writing it - so I’m going to post this in bits and pieces. UNH’s lack of scoring IS a problem - both in what it means this season and beyond...

UNH is averaging just 3.00 goals per game through 8 contests - this puts them right smack dab in the range of average as they’re tied for 21st in scoring with six other teams right now. Three goals a night may be enough to win a number of games this season - especially with how the team defense is performing (2.38 GA/G), most notably on the blue line and in goal - but if UNH wants to compete in HE and battle for an NCAA Tournament spot they’re going to need to produce more offense. That said, it’s not even really their goals/game average that’s the problem - it’s consistency, depth and the level of completion they’ve faced to date....

—-

* UNH has 24 goals in 8 games currently - their rate of scoring 3.0/G is what it is. Scoring ‘clutch’ goals is nice but it doesn’t change their overall ability to score. First you’d have to believe that they try harder late or in OT. They’re trying to score every time over the boards and 3.0 is their number. It doesn’t jump to 3.5 because a goal is scored in OT. If anything, the clutch goals indicate what a fine line they’ve walked so far in terms of goal differential and the difference more scoring could make. It’s also illustrative of just how good the defense has been in limiting opponents to give those late goals the opportunity to mean what they’ve meant...

* UNH scored 10 goals at Miami. Since then they’ve scored 14 goals in 6 games for 2.33 goals per game. Miami ranks 58th nationally in goals against and just gave up 12 in a weekend at North Dakota...

* In addition to Miami (58th), UNH has faced the 9th, 26th, 36th, 42nd, 51st and 54th scoring defenses in the country. The competition is going to get tougher. UNH needs to get better along with the schedule...

* Against top-50 scoring defenses UNH has six goals in four games for a rate of 1.5 goals per game.

* UNH has scored 11 of its 24 goals on the PP. Their 5x5 scoring has not been up to par and needs to improve. Their PP should be a weapon all season, but they’re not going to get 1-2 PPG every night - especially against better competition. Can they win moving forward if the PP has an off night...

* Six players have scored 21 of UNH’s 24 goals. That is 88%. The other three goals have all been scored by defensemen - leaving three other defensemen and forwards 6-16 with a combined zero goals in 80 games. It’s not just the FR forwards/class. If a team focuses on limiting UNH’s top line and PP who steps up? Can the top line continue to produce at this rate when they garner the type of attention that comes with being the sole line scoring goals. UNH’s depth needs to step up in a big way - starting with Blackburn (and a, returning this weekend, Filip Engaras). There are 26 games remaining in the regular season - imagine the difference 26 goals from depth (instead of what would be 9 at the current pace) could make for this team...

* It’s not just about this season. Take a look at the UNH recruiting thread. Cafarelli is averaging a PPG in the BCHL and Richels (who will tear up his HS season) hasn’t started playing yet. The rest of the UNH recruits have scored 11 goals in 136 man-games for a scoring rate of 0.08 GPG. UNH’s defense will take a massive hit this season when the top pair (as good as any pair in the country) moves on. Depending on the success the team and top individuals have this season - the goalie and a couple others may have the chance to join them. That goal differential is going to have to be made up one way or another...

* Stutzle isn’t coming. Current experienced goal scorers will graduate. If UNH has any hope of sustaining success it starts with goal production from younger players and recruits. Who fills in the gaps when an already top heavy scoring load begins to lose its biggest contributors.

* Recruiting needs to capitalize on the wins UNH has put together and scoring goals needs to be a priority. Along with replacing two elite D and grabbing a goaltender of the future (no pressure). Otherwise whatever success they have this season could be a one off...

—-

Now all that said - they may not need to improve TOO much with the way the D/G are playing. But better depth of scoring (outside of the top-six goal scorers UNH needed 33 goals from the rest of its roster just to get to 90 last season - right Snively, 90?) and increased production 5x5 (72% of goals in 2018-19 / 54% currently) could make a HUGE difference getting this team where they want to go...

Certainly none of this is insurmountable or promised to be a season long problem - but it should be a point of emphasis for the team right now, without a doubt. What they need to improve upon to have a truly successful season is clear - and how great is it to have learned that lesson while racing out to a 5-2-1 start...

Scoring is down in college hockey - UNH will never regularly score 4.5 goals per game like they used too - but if they can get to 3.25 goals per game up from 2.5 GPG a season (combined with a D that has already cut GAA significantly) they can swap goal differential by over a tally a night and they’re a true HE top-4 and NCAA Tournament threat this season, with something truly tangible to sell for the future...
                        Last eight seasons, GPG, GAPG

18-19, 2.5, 2.86
                        17-18, 2.44, 2.89
                        16-17, 3.1, 3.4
                        15-16, 3.03, 3.27
                        14-15, 2.98, 2.73
                        13-14, 3.07, 2.44
                        12-13, 3.13, 2.26
                        11-12, 2.92, 2.97
                        Last edited by Snively65; 11-13-2019, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          Last eight seasons, GPG, GAPG

18-19, 2.5, 2.86
                          17-18, 2.44, 2.89
                          16-17, 3.1, 3.4
                          15-16, 3.03, 3.27
                          14-15, 2.98, 2.73
                          13-14, 3.07, 2.44
                          12-13, 3.13, 2.26
                          11-12, 2.92, 2.97
                          So..this speaks to something and I don't wanna be negative here. Are these typical of most teams? We had guys in those years, Goumas, Kelleher, Willows, Poturalski, to name a few, that scored over or close to 100 goals in their careers. Of course you play D too in those games. And teams with big goal scoring players doesn't mean they are a lock for the Frozen Four. Stats do speak, but, I'll take a 1-0 win over a 5-4 loss anytime!!
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            So..this speaks to something and I don't wanna be negative here. Are these typical of most teams? We had guys in those years, Goumas, Kelleher, Willows, Poturalski, to name a few, that scored over or close to 100 goals in their careers. Of course you play D too in those games. And teams with big goal scoring players doesn't mean they are a lock for the Frozen Four. Stats do speak, but, I'll take a 1-0 win over a 5-4 loss anytime!!
                            What appears to be most troubling is that we have averaged .5 goals less per game these past 2 years. If you run the numbers back another 8-10 years it looks even worse. A bit of good news is that scoring has been down across the board, just more troubling when you average goes to 2.5. As many of us have pointed out the past 2 years have had far more ties or OT losses than you should have or can tolerate and still be a strong team. As CHC pointed out, this years has at least started differently and we are winning those games, something that is critical, and while Dan makes great arguments for why they will need to be better what I would focus on is the teams current state of mind.
                            You are only as good as you think you are and right now they are feeling better as a team than I have seen in a while. They are feeling good about themselves and more importantly they appear to be moving closer as a team. This weekend is so important. They could either start separating themselves from the middle group or they can move down the latter and face a more difficult future - points wise.
                            Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              What appears to be most troubling is that we have averaged .5 goals less per game these past 2 years. If you run the numbers back another 8-10 years it looks even worse. A bit of good news is that scoring has been down across the board, just more troubling when you average goes to 2.5. As many of us have pointed out the past 2 years have had far more ties or OT losses than you should have or can tolerate and still be a strong team. As CHC pointed out, this years has at least started differently and we are winning those games, something that is critical, and while Dan makes great arguments for why they will need to be better what I would focus on is the teams current state of mind.
                              You are only as good as you think you are and right now they are feeling better as a team than I have seen in a while. They are feeling good about themselves and more importantly they appear to be moving closer as a team. This weekend is so important. They could either start separating themselves from the middle group or they can move down the latter and face a more difficult future - points wise.
                              Go Cats!
                              Excellent post ATW (as was Dan's and C-H-C's). Agree that this weekend is very important. Also agree that this team has a special 'chemistry' that I think is very good and it reflects on the ice, just in the fact that they work to the last whistle. Huge weekend for BOTH UNH and Maine...that said...GO 'CATS!!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• You are only as good as you think you are and right now they are feeling better as a team than I have seen in a while. They are feeling good about themselves and more importantly they appear to be moving closer as a team. This weekend is so important. They could either start separating themselves from the middle group or they can move down the latter and face a more difficult future - points wise.
                                Go Cats!
                                Exactly right ATW - while my post may seem ‘critical’ to some - the most important point was that UNH can learn where it needs to improve and implement action to improve while winning games. That’s always so much better than learning lessons through losing...

They deserve the credit they’re getting for winning the close games they have. With small improvements they can ensure that continues. Especially considering they should be the favorite or (at worst) a pick ‘em in 10 of the next 11 games they play. They have a chance to really put themselves in a great position if they can widen the goal differential just a bit more...

And generally speaking, while their own production is a clear area for improvement - especially at 5x5 and amongst the depth forwards - it’s really about creating that differential. Snively’s numbers indicate why UNH has struggled of late - negative differentials in each of the last four years. It’s no accident that the two goal differentials that approached positive 1.00 are their last two 20-win seasons and include their last NCAA Trip. That’s what it takes...

If UNH can get to a +1.00 differential that makes them an NCAA threat and perhaps an elite team for this season. Right now only 14 teams are at +1.00 or better and that will likely shrink as the season goes on...

There are two ways to do that - get even better defensively (which is not out of the realm of possibility) or score more goals. UNH has the talent to do both. Bumping from 3.00 GPG to even 3.25 and cutting GA from 2.38 per game to 2.25 per game is within their reach (if not even more production/prevention) - makes them an NCAA tournament team for the first time in six years and gives them real recruiting ammo.

I’m sure they’re aware of this and striving for it every day in practice - as expected. The combination of their early success, the potential and expectation for/of more and adding Engaras this weekend is what’s so exciting for UNH Hockey in 2019-20...

We should all enjoy this season for this season, but everyone knows I’ve always been a look ahead / sustainable success guy. How questions about developing younger scoring and recruit scoring are answered is critical to the 2020 stretch run and sustained success for the program - which makes it an important discussion (5-2-1 record not withstanding)....
                                Last edited by Dan; 11-14-2019, 01:38 PM.
                                Live Free or Die!!
                                Miami University '03

Comment

Working...
                                X