Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    We just going to take for granted the all world season Gildon is having?
    If you discount the Ivy athletes - who just started playing this weekend and who’s numbers are skewed as a result - Gildon leads the country in points per game by a defenseman (and is T-8th amongst ALL skaters) at 1.57 PPG...

Also, the UNH PP he quarterbacks is clicking at 32.3% to rank fourth in the nation - again, trailing only Ivies Brown, Princeton and Cornell (who have all played just two games).

He has at least one point in every game but one. Yesterday he was on the ice for four UNH goals and one against. Overall he’s been on the ice for 14 UNH goals to six for his opponents (9-3 since the Bentley game). His +/- numbers are completely skewed by UNH’s scoring on the PP not counting as pluses (downer alert: UNH needs to be much better scoring goals five-on-five)...

He’s dominant, seemingly able to carry the puck wherever he wants for as long as he wants, but he’s been UNH’s best player for three seasons now. He’s doing what people always expected him to do - which is why he can be overlooked now and under appreciated previously...
    Last edited by Dan; 11-03-2019, 09:43 AM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats 2019/2020 Ready to Rock and Roll!!

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      Ps...would also like to say what great leadership I see from Captain Anthony Wyse and how well MacKinnon and Verrier are playing..Gonna need all that and more with upcoming games. GO 'CATS!
      He should dial back his penalty box leadership just a tad.

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
      We just goig to take for granted the all world season Gildon is having?
      There are times he appears to be hanging out, pretty much knowing he can deal with opposing forecheckers as needed, while he waits for his teammates to position themselves.

Obviously a very solid weekend for the 'cats. Coach Souza comes away with two wins and some teachable moments. The importance of not letting up after scoring, whatever happened in the second period last night (he was very animated in his coaching at the 10 minute mark when we had zero SOG for the period) and it is not necessary to give the fans more than their money's worth every night. You OK, Scott?
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        If you discount the Ivy athletes - who just started playing this weekend and who’s numbers are skewed as a result - Gildon leads the country in points per game by a defenseman (and is T-8th amongst ALL skaters) at 1.57 PPG...

Also, the UNH PP he quarterbacks is clicking at 32.3% to rank fourth in the nation - again, trailing only Ivies Brown, Princeton and Cornell (who have all played just two games).

He has at least one point in every game but one. Yesterday he was on the ice for four UNH goals and one against. Overall he’s been on the ice for 14 UNH goals to six for his opponents (9-3 since the Bentley game). His +/- numbers are completely skewed by UNH’s scoring on the PP not counting as pluses (downer alert: UNH needs to be much better scoring goals five-on-five)...

He’s dominant, seemingly able to carry the puck wherever he wants for as long as he wants, but he’s been UNH’s best player for three seasons now. He’s doing what people always expected him to do - which is why he can be overlooked now and under appreciated previously...
        I wish the fans I hear whining about him would know these stats. He's without a question a primary reason for our #1 ranking on our PP among other things. Drives me nuts.
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Just a mini reality check....

Realizing it’s early for PWR/RPI, our wins have come against the following teams (RPI rank)

BC 23
          Miami 42 (and a tie)
          Merrimack 50
          Dartmouth 58

With losses to

BU 30
          Bentley 46

Upcoming games against Mass 4, Maine 10, Michigan 22, and Northeastern 26 should shed light on how we will or won’t compete. I’m hopeful, but let’s be honest - early season hasn’t been Murderer’s Row.
          Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
            We just going to take for granted the all world season Gildon is having?
            I for one have been pretty effusive in my praise for him. I’m in awe of how he controls the puck at will. He had a giveaway last iight that was the first I can remember this season. Undoubtedly there were others, but it stuck out for me. It took two guys to do it, though!

As Darius says, I do wonder sometimes when he’s holding, holding, holding deep in our zone but then he zips a pass to the opponent’s blue line to a waiting winger and I remain amazed.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
              I wish the fans I hear whining about him would know these stats. He's without a question a primary reason for our #1 ranking on our PP among other things. Drives me nuts.
              Who the heck could whine about him THIS season?? I mean, he had his moments last season, but sheesh.

Comment

What are they whining, that after a productive 10+ year NHL career his PPG won't be enough?
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                  Who the heck could whine about him THIS season?? I mean, he had his moments last season, but sheesh.
                  People who expect perfection and think he should walk on the water. I actually moved my seat last night had had enough...but for now on HR's gloves are off.
                  Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-03-2019, 02:18 PM.
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

People who expect perfection and think he should walk on the water. I actually moved my seat last night had had enough...but for now on HR's gloves are off.
                    Ref that is hard to hear and can't imagine what would bring that on. He is just looking so good. Can anyone name 2 D-men who were better in the past 20-25 years? I will come clean that during the freshmen year debates on his turnovers, I did not come forward with what I saw, and was feeling. What I was feeling was he was a great work in progress and in need of some coaching and film work. But never wavered in being pleased as punch that he was a wildcat! But as some noted, and were castigated for was turnovers that led to scores. I can tell you that i saw several but saw them as part of the work in progress. He is now so smooth and controlled. He and his partner were like silk on Friday night, a true joy to watch. Max has obviously had some solid coaching, feedback and 2 summers of NHL experience to pull a strong skill set together to make him a special player that we should all be thankful for.

Comment

A reminder that Gildon just turned 20 this past off-season and is younger or equal in age to all but two CURRENT UNH freshmen...

Anyone who expected Gildon to be perfect or UNH’s savior as one of the youngest players in all of college hockey the last two years was seriously misguided. Gildon has NEVER been UNH’s problem. His contributions to the program’s success have been exponentially larger than anyone should expect for one player - and certainly far superior than anything he’s cost them...

Quite frankly, there have been times when UNH’s offense would have easily been amongst the absolute worst in the country without him - the less said about where UNH’s defense would have been in terms of eating minutes and generating any sort of breakout the better.

The problem has always been the NEED for Gildon to play such an oversized role - especially, so early, as one of the youngest players in DI hockey the last couple years. The coaches did not do their job well enough in recruiting a roster for him to walk into and be able to develop/contribute. It was one he had to carry a la Poturalski and Kelleher - that’s not a winning formula and it has never been the ‘stars’ fault UNH hasn’t been winning - only this season has the depth of talent and experience caught up around him to potentially make a legitimate run (though as DC notes above there is a long way - and much better opponents - to go)...

It’s no coincidence that the most ‘blamed’ players in UNH history are also some of the best - Gildon, Poturalski, JVR, DeSimone, Hemingway and the other Hemingway. Ref nailed it and I’ve touched on it before but I’ll never understand the inability to appreciate great talent simply because it’s not perfect, while simultaneously lauding role players (and many times calling for them to play ahead of the ‘underperforming’ star) for doing little more than not looking out of place on the ice...

Gildon cemented his reputation in the minds of some when his OT turnover against CC turned into the game winner. NEVERMIND that UNH was only in OT because Gildon, himself, scored the lone Wildcat goal. OR that UNH only beat CC the night before because Gildon recorded a hat trick. The reality is Gildon carried UNH to a win and gave them a chance to win on night two...

Complaints about Gildon have always been undeserved - he’s held to a standard the other top UNH players (including Wyse and Maass) are never held to. Every player on the roster turns pucks over and gets caught out of position - that’s hockey. And anyone complaining about Gildon in the stands this season, is only showing their ignorance of what UNH asks of him and the sport in general...

Stars like Poturalski and Gildon have taken a lot of the blame for UNH short-comings the last couple seasons. I say, than heavens for their presence during some of the darkest seasons in UNH history. Without their skill and production things would have been a lot worse and far less enjoyable. Hopefully, Gildon, now surrounded on a better roster gets a big payoff for his efforts and the heat he’s endured at times...
                      Last edited by Dan; 11-03-2019, 04:11 PM.
                      Live Free or Die!!
                      Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                        Ref that is hard to hear and can't imagine what would bring that on. He is just looking so good. Can anyone name 2 D-men who were better in the past 20-25 years?
                        When all is said and done (and NCAA and NHL careers are evaluated) the three best defenseman in UNH Hockey history will probably be (in order of appearance) Rod Langway, Brett Pesce and Max Gildon. Especially considering both BP and MG will play their college careers at 18-20 years old...

As for the recent pair - Gildon has had much higher expectations and produced at a much higher level. Pesce is the better defender.

The biggest difference between the careers of the two is that freshman Pesce was the sixth man on a defense that included TVR, Knodel, Hardowa, Agosta and Kostolansky (perhaps the deepest group of mobile D UNH ever had), while Gildon has had to be the man from day one...
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

What's with the lights going out after every UNH goal? Our group voted 4 - 0 to keep the lights ON. Geez, you can't even see the players, let alone the fish. Or maybe the fish will go the way of Black Betty. (I thought UNH was "sustainable" - why are you wasting all that energy re-lighting?)
                          When UNH scores fans want to SEE what's going on, not be subject to an inept, useless light show!

Comment

• Originally posted by jeteye1717 View Post
                            The Kardiac Kids strike again !! What's amazing to me is the simply unreal number of games this season and last that the SouzaCats have taken to overtime: 14 of 36 games played last season (resulting in an ot record of 3-2-9, including a program record for sister-kissing) and now already in this young season 5 of 8 (resulting in an ot record of 3-1-1); that's 19 of 44 games played in 2018-2020 (so far), or greater than 43% ... It's a tribute to their tenacity, if nothing else, that so many of their games are close, nail-biting affairs; don't get me wrong, I love a 'Cat blowout as much as the next guy, but this large reservoir of ot confidence they've built up (losing only 3 of 19 ot contests, and winning twice that) can't help but be a team strength going forward. Ties? We don't want no stinkin' ties - we're going for the jugular !! Bring it on going forward - this team doesn't quit ...
                            Three tough league games coming up, UMass and two at Maine, which just took three points from BU. I’m going to guess Souza will be riding Robinson the next two weeks.

And Dan, you don’t go back far enough. Trust me when I tell you that there were a few guys back in the day who deserved every criticism they got and were not very good either. As for those who are good and get criticized, it goes with the territory. For those from whom much is expected, when they fail to live up to those expectations, of course it will engender disappointment. Goes with the territory.
                            Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 11-03-2019, 05:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by JAB View Post
                              What's with the lights going out after every UNH goal? Our group voted 4 - 0 to keep the lights ON. Geez, you can't even see the players, let alone the fish. Or maybe the fish will go the way of Black Betty. (I thought UNH was "sustainable" - why are you wasting all that energy re-lighting?)
                              When UNH scores fans want to SEE what's going on, not be subject to an inept, useless light show!
                              Yeah am not a fan of that....they do that at BU BC UML..harrumph.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by JAB View Post
                                IIRC it wasn't that long ago when the lighting at The Whitt was upgraded. I seem to recall before that, on a few occasions when power was interrupted, it took several minutes to get up to full luminescence again.

As pointed out by others here, this "lights out" is done elsewhere in HE. It would be nice if UNH came up with something original, and not just "follow the leader" on gimmicky stuff like this. Whatever.

Give me winning hockey, and the rest just pales by comparison, fades into obscurity, etc.

Gildon has matured and is now avoiding the mistakes he made as a younger player. As Dan points out (and I've agreed all along), Gildon has been the most talented player in the program since his first day as a frosh. And as Greg points out … much is expected of those who have the talent that Gildon has, and there is a long list of players beyond those mentioned in the thread here who have been "that guy" to take the heat when they didn't live up to their billing. It does go with the territory.

Of the various names Dan put out there as similar to Gildon because they were derided for not delivering the goods, really only JVR is comparable, and he was already gone by this point in his career, while Gildon is still here. There's already a fairly decent argument that Gildon has impacted the UNH program more positively than JVR did, and he's not even a quarter of the way into his junior season. JVR certainly had more talent around him than Gildon does, but it seems pretty clear MS7 has begun to infuse his program with more depth in talent than we've seen for at least the last 5 years.

It will be interesting to see how this season plays out, and what Gildon can accomplish, both individually and as a dynamic on-ice presence for this year's Cats. I'd love to see them get some quality postseason experience, and maybe - and I realize this is more and hope than likely reailty - Gildon will become one of those cherished 4 year players we don't see enough of these days. Give the kid a reason to return - successful year, compelling games late in the season, more talent coming in, and a legitimate shot at doing something special with his teammates next season as well. If he continues to develop - and it seems he's made that next adjustment, where other teams started to target and sit on him more often last season, and now he's adapted his game to that - he's young enough, and maybe Florida will see some benefit in keeping him where he is right now.

I wouldn't bet the house on it, and I realize the smart money is he'll leave as Pesce did after his junior year. But a lot of folks on here thought he would be gone after last season, and he's still here.

I guess the best approach is, enjoy and appreciate what he's doing, and hopefully further program growth and progression, and further development of Gildon's game, will see us "luck out" with a 4 year career to remember, a la Krog, Mowers, Bogey, and a Chicago draft pick from roughly 20 years ago who calls the shots nowadays.
                                Last edited by Chuck Murray; 11-03-2019, 07:19 PM.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X