USCHO Poster Poll: '19-'20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Poster Poll: '19-'20

Somewhere around the early 2000s, I took my son to the Harrisburg, PA airport for a flight to Minnesota (my parents were flying him there for a summer visit with them). After all the checking in and security and all that, he boarded his plane with everyone else...and then it just sat there, going nowhere. Before long, I was literally the only person left standing around at the gate, waiting for the plane to move, and wondering what was going on. I asked an employee, and they said a passenger was running late but was on his way and should be there very soon. It really didn't take all that long, so I wasn't too upset, and then I hear a noise and here comes Davy "The Monkees" Jones, running his little legs off to get to the gate, apologizing as he passed me. I just said something lame like, "Oh, hi Davy". I didn't know he owned a horse farm in Pennsylvania, so I left the airport wondering what he was doing in Harrisburg.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
      Somewhere around the early 2000s, I took my son to the Harrisburg, PA airport for a flight to Minnesota (my parents were flying him there for a summer visit with them). After all the checking in and security and all that, he boarded his plane with everyone else...and then it just sat there, going nowhere. Before long, I was literally the only person left standing around at the gate, waiting for the plane to move, and wondering what was going on. I asked an employee, and they said a passenger was running late but was on his way and should be there very soon. It really didn't take all that long, so I wasn't too upset, and then I hear a noise and here comes Davy "The Monkees" Jones, running his little legs off to get to the gate, apologizing as he passed me. I just said something lame like, "Oh, hi Davy". I didn't know he owned a horse farm in Pennsylvania, so I left the airport wondering what he was doing in Harrisburg.
      Airports are good for seeing famous people. On another trip to LAX to pick up a housemate coming back to town, we saw Jack Nicholson. Nothing much to the story, though; he was walking in as we were walking out, We said "Hi, Jack", he said "Hi'ya boys", and that was it. Davy Jones a pretty good one.
      Last edited by robertearle; 10-29-2019, 11:14 PM.

Comment

The closest celeb encounter my wife and I have ever had was back in the 80's, riding up Aspen Mountain on a chair lift directly behind.....Robert Redford, who was right in front of us. My wife, who was secretly in love with him at the time , was quietly going crazy all the way up the mountain. Ultimately, good sense prevailed and she did not try to chase him after we got off the chair and then on the way down.

Meanwhile, my top-exec brother can claim a different and much closer celeb encounter, when he was at a private Atlanta-area airport way back when. "As the story goes" (and I'm 100% sure it's true), he was in the men's restroom, and found himself peeing in the urinal right next to...Mick Jagger! Pleasantries where exchanged...and they were then each on to their next flight....
        Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Well, now.

Great thread! If seventeen strangers can bond over celebrity sightings...Badgers and Gophers, Easterners and Westerners, WCHA and HE, Pokechecker and everyone else...anything is possible!

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
            Well, now.

Great thread! If seventeen strangers can bond over celebrity sightings...Badgers and Gophers, Easterners and Westerners, WCHA and HE, Pokechecker and everyone else...anything is possible!

You guys keep reminding me of other 'stories': Summer 1984, flying back from LA to Wisconsin for vacation, Northwest Airlines, through Minneapolis. Fairly good-looking young blonde woman sitting next to me. We talk a little during the flight, like people do. She's from Minneapolis, lives in LA, heading home to see family, etc. Summer 1984 means Prince, "Purple Rain' the album and the movie are out. So I ask here if she's ever been to 'First Avenue', seen Prince there, etc. She says yes, she's been to First Avenue a number of times, been there to see Prince perform, said hello to him once or twice at the bar, etc. And the rest of the flight we talk, and don't talk. Your basic airplane flight.

So a month or so later, I get around to seeing the movie. Near the end, there's a scene where 'The Kid' is working up the courage to go onstage to perform, and there's a waitress in the dressing room with him, trying to help him muster the courage. And I'm thinking to myself "Hey! That's the girl from the airplane last month!" Her name was/is Jill Jones; background singer, sometime Prince girlfriend; recorded a CD or two, Prince produced; the blonde girl singer in the "1999" video.

Comment

I have one that's hockey related, but I don't know how very celebrity rated it is. About five years ago at a Penn State women's home game, I saw a guy who definitely wasn't a student, sitting in the mostly-empty student section about halfway up, looking out of place with nobody anywhere near him. I zoomed my camera in on him and it was 1980 Olympic goalie Jim Craig, there to watch his daughter play for Colgate. Naturally, I went over to shake his hand, but made it quick so I wasn't another one of those "that guy" people.

Comment

ARM gave me a ride in his car once
                Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                  ARM gave me a ride in his car once
                  Well that still leaves us with just two A-listers: Jagger and Craig.

Comment

I took that to mean that I had a brush with fame: I once had the creator of the GRANT ratings in my car.
                    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      I took that to mean that I had a brush with fame: I once had the creator of the GRANT ratings in my car.
                      THAT'S TRUE, and you also had a member of the Patty Kazmaier committee in your car too

The question now is who am I referring to
                      Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                      Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                      Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                        THAT'S TRUE, and you also had a member of the Patty Kazmaier committee in your car too
                        I've chauffeured a number of those over the years. In this sport, you bump into them almost as often as you do Olympic medal winners.
                        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

The clock reads 3:06 on a Thursday morning. The irony is not lost on me that sitting in a motel room, in the podunk town of Dyersville Iowa, there is more snow on the ground than there is back home in the Twin Cities. Why Dyersville, Iowa you make ask? For me and my better half, it's one stopover in an antiquing journey through southern Wisconsin, Illinois, and Iowa. Uninteresting fact...Dyersville Iowa is the home of the annual National Farm Toy Show which happens to be this coming weekend. OK before you judge, I am well aware that there might be more whiteness in everything about this event than a loaf of Wonder bread. My point is there will be no celebrity encounters to be had but the people watching is gold.

Oh yeah, the theme for this week's poll comes from titles of used vinyl records that I have found on our journey (the real reason I do this)

1. Wisconsin - Heatwave "Too Hot To Handle"
                          2 Cornell - Dave Brubeck "Jazz: Red Hot and Cool"
                          3. Minnesota - Miles Davis "Kind Of Blue" (very excited to find this at Shaggy's indoor flea market in Dubuque)
                          4. bc - Boston "Don't Look Back"
                          5. Northeastern - Journey "Evolution"
                          6. Clarkson - Beatles "Help" (UK mono pressing...Sweet!)
                          7. Princeton - Weather Report "Heavy Weather"
                          8. Ohio State - Joe Walsh "But Seriously Folks"
                          9. BU - Rush "Moving Pictures"
                          10. Harvard - Styx "The Grand Illusion"

The parting riffs this week are, of course, from Three Dog Night

Shambala
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Since we are doing celebrity encounters....here are some hockey ones

A few years back (the year Crosby missed the start of the year due to concussion, maybe 2011 or 2012?) I went to my rec hockey game at Kent State. A teenage game was playing at the time, a team from Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh’s coach was none other than Mario Lemieux. The team was not super good or anything, maybe a AA team, and his son was on the team. Mario graciously took pictures with us when we saw him in the hall way after. Fun fun.

My other hockey one is not an IRL interaction but one day I looked at my phone and had a video text message. It turned out a relative was at an event with Meghan Duggan. They asked Meghan to record a little video message for my daughter, a young hockey player. So we got this really sweet video message from Duggan where she called my kid by name and encouraged her to play hard, have fun and dream big etc. Very sweet gesture from Captain America.

Comment

Allow me.
                              Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 11-03-2019, 08:50 AM.

Comment

The next celebrity story belongs to a Twin Cities friend. I'll call her Sue. It seems only right; that's her real name.

It's a very old story from back in the '70s. During high school & college, Sue worked as a skating instructor. Her specialty was Learn To Skate classes.

One day after completing a class session, she was approached by a "parent" she hadn't previously met. The man extended his hand and said: You're really good with those kids. Can you give me few pointers on teaching young children how to skate?

The two had an animated conversation lasting several minutes. As Sue tells it, the material covered was pretty basic, but the man seemed quite interested in every detail. He didn't have a child with him. But Sue just assumed he had a toddler at home, who would be registering for the class a year or two down the line. After Sue had fully responded, the two had a pleasant parting.

Pretty routine stuff. Until a co-worker approached her and said: I'm impressed. How do you know Bobby Orr?

Anyhow, that was the day that Sue taught Bobby Orr how to skate.
                                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 11-03-2019, 07:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X