Colgate 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Our special teams cost us the win. Harvard is a very talented team but we outworked them, happy with our effort. I can understand our powerplay being so inefficient with us being so offensively challenged but I don't understand why our kill is so bad. Hard to be happy or sad about last night's game.
    It can still be a positive weekend with a win tonight, stay out of the box and keep working. Tonight's game is huge, Dartmouth played two great periods last night before Cornell outplayed them convincingly in the third to win the game.
    Last edited by sshablak; 01-25-2020, 07:13 AM.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
      The audio was awful, very gravely.
      Yes, audio was very fuzzy - difficult to make out the words sometimes.

There have been years where we didn't come close to beating Harvard, so I'm happy with the tie and three points against them this season. Not that this is the best Crimson team I've ever seen, but I thought we played an intelligent game and frustrated them with our defense. With a few more offensive breaks and a decent PK we could have taken 2 pts. Due to troubles with my ESPN+ I have not been able to see a whole game, but I did last night and am impressed by this year's team - seem much improved over the last couple of year's editions. The infusion of some talented recruits has made a difference for sure. Just beat the Big Green tonight, another critical game....but they're all critical 8-)
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Solid effort. Same old story with PP and PK but at even strength we’re good. Two points tonight would be huge. Will warn the thread when I’m in Hamilton.

Comment

I thought the team played great and should have earned the W. On another note, I was very surprised (stunned, even) when Donato complained to the refs about our fans who were sitting behind the Harvard bench - prompting an announcement asking fans not to talk to the players on their bench and one fan being asked to leave. IOWA, you sit fairly close - did you hear the fans ? Was their heckling worthy of Donato’s reaction?????

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
            Tonight's game is huge, Dartmouth played two great periods last night before Cornell outplayed them convincingly in the third to win the game.
            The Green are a solid team, with some extremely talented players (O'Connor, Graber) and a hard hitting, disciplined system. Clark made some highlight reel saves last night but also gave up some mouth-watering rebounds. In general shooting high on him seems pointless -- he was great above the waist.

Donato complaining does not surprise me. He works the refs all night. It's part of his schtick.
            Cornell University
            National Champion 1967, 1970
            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

CU13... when the announcement was made, the guy next to me looked at me like, “WTH?” The announcement seemed unnecessary to us.

Comment

I had to laugh when they made the announcement to not talk to the Harvard bench. Seriously, if they cant handle us there is no way they handle Lynah. I dislike Lynah because if we say one thing they threaten to kick us out, but when you listen to the words in their cheers it is clearly not "sportsmanlike". I am all for fans making teams uncomfortable (with appropriate cheers), but it has to go both ways.

I kind of want to see how harvard handles it tonight if they couldnt handle us

Comment

Red, what are the rules as far as throwing stuff on the ice at Lynah? Obviously crumpled-up newspapers are okay. Is it just paper products that are allowed? What about old greeting cards? And, can you do it through the whole game? Or just before opening face-off? Most arenas have signs on acceptable (and unacceptable) behavior, but I have yet to see them at Lynah with regard to the newspapers.

Comment

Does any place still sell Big Red Chewing Gum.....(just thinking ahead)
                    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

They throw toothpaste, and the newspapers. They throw fishes against Harvard.
                      Last edited by red133883; 01-25-2020, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                        Red, what are the rules as far as throwing stuff on the ice at Lynah? Obviously crumpled-up newspapers are okay. Is it just paper products that are allowed? What about old greeting cards? And, can you do it through the whole game? Or just before opening face-off? Most arenas have signs on acceptable (and unacceptable) behavior, but I have yet to see them at Lynah with regard to the newspapers.
                        I've seen about 200 games at Lynah so I'll take a shot at this.

This is what you can get away with if you throw sh-t on the ice:

+ crumpled up newspapers during the lineups, almost always
                        + fish during the lineups if it's the Harvard game, maybe
                        + hats when appropriate, maybe
                        + nothing else unless you want to flip a coin on getting tossed or worse

Even in the first two cases, it varies with the usher, and the ushers are completely within their rights to run you if you put anything on the ice. I have seen a lot of people kicked out, but it really varies. I don't think I've ever seen a visiting fan throw anything on the ice in the 40 years I've seen games there. I would strongly advise against it, because road seating tends to be within or next to townie seating where the ushers are Draconian. This is also true of vocabulary -- what passes in the band section will not if you say it in front of Cindy Lou Who.

When idiots throw toothpaste tubes on the ice against Colgate the ushers will throw them out. You might get away with throwing Big Red gum (if it still exists) because ushers do understand that the road fans don't know the rules. Obviously if you peg somebody you are in deep, deep sh-t, as in a night at the Ithaca PD.

98% of the trash talk against visiting fans is pure fun, but there's always some douc-hebag drunk frat boy who decides it is A Matter of Honor and postures. The main danger for a visiting fan is an altercation with a rockhead that gets you both thrown out. I've seen this and ushers have no f-cks to give if they perceive anything turning ugly in the stands. And they don't care who started it.

So, basically, Lynah is pretty much everywhere else where fans get engaged. It's tighter than Thompson or Meehan but looser than Ingalls or Bright. If a home fan starts giving you sh-t across the line we self-police and make sure they know nobody has their back. If anybody acts up in a threatening manner we will call an usher. Otherwise, raucous behavior and full throated support of your team is encouraged.

Hope you enjoy your visit.
                        Last edited by Kepler; 01-25-2020, 05:58 PM.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Andrew Farrier led the Raiders on the ice for tonight’s pre-game warm-up. Cam Strong and the Dartmouth Big Green are in town tonight for a 7:30 p.m. start.

Comment

Dartmouth 13, Colgate 11, SOG after one.
                            Dartmouth 1, Colgate 0, score after one.

Cam Strong scored for the third straight game (and opened scoring for the second time this weekend).

Colgate had four or five quality opportunities tonight. I think we’ll be okay, but Clark is playing very well in Dartmouth’s goal (again).

Comment

Anyone know why McMann isn’t dressed

Comment

Dartmouth 24, Colgate 22, SOG after two.
                                Colgate 3, Dartmouth 3, score after two.

I will never remember all that just happened...
                                McAvoy from Lunn at 20-second mark.
                                They scored PP goal.
                                McAvoy’s second when they gave it up in front of Clark.
                                O’Connor from Strong.
                                Ben Sharf tied it up.
                                Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 01-25-2020, 11:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X