Colgate 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Good to see Griffin Lunn get his first. As Coach says, the more contributions down the lineup the better this team is gonna be...Nothing to be ashamed about last night.

Anyone watch this on TV? Wondering how the broadcast was?
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Griffin Lunn is one of my favorite players, so I was especially glad to see him score! Also happy for Tyler Jeanson! I agree completely with ColSkate. Having a long bench is ideal and something we haven't had in a long time. I'm excited to watch this afternoon. The broadcast (video) was fine, but no audio in the last two periods. I listened to GateRadio, who was wonderful, as usual. Is he filling in or back for good? Anxious for the game at 4. Proud of the team!! Go 'Gate!!

Comment

Mitch Benson led the Colgate Raiders on the ice for today’s re-match with host (The) Ohio State University Buckeyes.

Comment

Ohio State 15, Colgate 10, SOG after one.
          Ohio State 1, Colgate 0, score after one.

Colgate 14, Ohio State 4, Faceoffs Won, after one.

Opening face-off. Buckeye bats the puck past Mitch Benson.
          Again, as all season, we didn’t roll over, we didn’t give up.
          Good period of college hockey.

Comment

Ohio State 34, Colgate 19, SOG after two.
            Ohio State 1, Colgate 0, score after two.

Colgate 22, Ohio State 11, Faceoffs Won after two.

We are in this one. A couple of good opportunities that period, but their goalie Nappier has played very well. He was also in net last night for the Buckeyes.

Comment

Ohio State 47, Colgate 25, SOG final.
              Ohio State 3, Colgate 0, final score.

Benson was screened on their second goal.
              And McMann has a major penalty with over four minutes left in game. They scored a PPG.

Comment

The weekend played out exactly as expected. Just when you think we may have risen from the ashes, you realize we are still smoldering near the bottom.
                C O L G A T E
                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                1990 NCAA FINALS
                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

• Originally posted by TchrBill View Post
                  The weekend played out exactly as expected. Just when you think we may have risen from the ashes, you realize we are still smoldering near the bottom.
                  That's a bit harsh. Losing by one goal and keeping today's game close until the end, against a highly ranked OSU team gives me hope that we can hold our own in league play. These OOC games are all prep for the second half of the season against our ECAC brethren. This team has shown resilience and the ability to play in the moment. I don't feel we are smoldering near the bottom. The feeling I get is that these guys like challenges and will rise to the occasion.
                  COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

I agree with ColSkate65.
                    We played PWR #7 Ohio State close both games.
                    We now play five ECAC teams in the month of January.
                    Two at home (including Harvard) and three on the road.
                    I predict we will go 3-2 in those five games.

Comment

It goes to show how mediocre the ECAC is this year if we can contend for 4th place.
                      I actually thought we could win a game this weekend. Coming close no longer cuts it.

Comment

I agree this weekend was a little bit of a downer but we did play very respectable against one of the top teams in the country. Unfortuneately our lack of scoring talent returned to bite us. I'm seeing some good things happening and we're much improved over last year. Defensively we're good enough to win games, passing is good on breakouts, but no one can finish with much consistency. How many breakaways has McMann had this year, five maybe six or more ? I've seen him score on one, such a good skater, he's an enigma to me.

I think we ran out of gas yesterday, but to say we suck after leading 2-1 late in the third Friday and 1-0 in the third last night is showing your frustration or lack of knowledge about the game. This team is getting closer, have patience grasshopper. If somehow we can get a bye in fourth place, win a playoff series at home, and get to Lake Placid I know I'll consider it a successful season.
                        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Although our o-o-c schedule was a good one, and we played some quality teams, 2-7-3 doesn't cut it...it has been a recurring them during the current administration of the program...ANY chance of making a move up in the Pairwise is essentially gone for now (a split was needed)...and, once again, I agree with Magoo..."coming close no longer cuts it" is the appropriate summary...the ECAC, save Cornell, is down this year and, who knows, there's a lot of room to finish all over the place...at the end of the day perhaps only two ECAC teams make the NCAA field...hopefully we can get off to a good start in 2020...

Comment

While I respect and value all opinions on here, I absolutely totally disagree with the expectation of getting a win against PWR #7 Ohio State in Columbus this past weekend, and the notion that ‘coming close doesn’t cut it anymore.’
                            Perspective is everything in life.
                            If you were at Joe Louis Arena in 1990 and witnessed Colgate’s appearance in the national championship game (against Wisconsin), then you might have the propensity to think ‘coming close doesn’t cut it anymore.’
                            If you have followed the current coach’s entire career at Colgate, you might want to say after a quarter of a century, ‘coming close doesn’t cut it anymore.’
                            But, the reality is... college sports are a rolling four-year window. Anything before that isn’t relevant to PWR #35 Colgate playing at PWR #7 Ohio State in late 2019. Wisconsin’s ‘90 title hasn’t helped them on the ice in the last decade.
                            We have to be realistic about what and who we have on the ice right now. Losing Colton Point early was an absolute game-changer for us. Last year, we had no offense, no defense and three freshman goalies. We got blown-out 7 times just last season, including at RIT. Those weren’t flukes. And you expect us to win at PWR #7 Ohio State this year?? And you are disappointed that we played the Buckeyes close two nights in a row in their arena??
                            While Mitch Benson and Andrew Farrier are playing well this year, they aren’t playing at the level that Colton Point was two years ago.
                            From the start of this year, our defense has played better than last year. And recently (since Clarkson), our offense has played better.
                            I totally agree with Shabby, Ohio State is expecting to be in a Regional this year (and hoping to go to Detroit), while Colgate is hoping to go to Lake Placid this year. That is a HUGE difference in the realities of these two teams and their current on-ice situations. Hoping to beat them is one thing, but expecting to beat them and then saying ‘coming close doesn’t cut it anymore’ (when we played them close but didn’t beat them) is not realistic at all.
                            Carry on.
                            Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 12-31-2019, 10:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                              If you were at Joe Louis Arena in 1990 and witnessed Colgate’s appearance in the national championship game (against Wisconsin), then you might have the propensity to think ‘coming close doesn’t cut it anymore.’
                              I was at Joe Louis Arena in 1990.

We won at Lowell and we won at Harvard. I wasn’t “expecting” to win at Ohio State but thought we might have a chance to get a game. I’m just past the point of moral victories.

If we had no chance to beat #7 Ohio State, then let’s just cancel the 2 games we have against #2 Cornell.
                              Last edited by Magoo; 12-31-2019, 03:55 PM.

Comment

the current "administration" in MIH has an aggregate record of 4-18-4 against three Ohio programs (Miami, Ohio State and Bowling Green)...I go can further with the #s but it is clear that with the exception of 2013-14 our o-o-c play has produced very few quality wins...this, in part, explains our average Pairwise ranking in the 38 to 39 range over the past 15 years...not overly impressive...let's all hope this finally turns up

Comment

Working...
                                X