Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Speaking of Brett Riley...
    Went to Colgate at UMass Lowell series; it was their big Hall of Fame weekend. On Friday night, the veteran fan next to me pointed out a gentleman sitting one row down, a couple of seats over, and said something about him being a local coaching icon. On the way out, after the game, that older guy one row down congratulated me (in my ‘Gate jersey) on Colgate’s overtime win, then says how proud he is of Colgate’s new assistant. Okay, kewl.
    On Saturday night, the icon is missing, but later, he is down on the ice being honored as coach Bill Riley (Medford, Mass.) of the Lowell Chiefs, Lowell Tech, University of Lowell and UMass Lowell hockey teams. Hugely popular.
    So my question is... are Bill Riley and Brett Riley related? If so, how?
    I thought Brett’s dad was Rob, and his grandfather was Jack.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-06-2019, 05:01 PM.

Comment

His father and grandfather coached at Army.
      It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
        Speaking of Brett Riley...
        Went to Colgate at UMass Lowell series; it was their big Hall of Fame weekend. On Friday night, the veteran fan next to me pointed out a gentleman sitting one row down, a couple of seats over, and said something about him being a local coaching icon. On the way out, after the game, that older guy one row down congratulated me (in my ‘Gate jersey) on Colgate’s overtime win, then says how proud he is of Colgate’s new assistant. Okay, kewl.
        On Saturday night, the icon is missing, but later, he is down on the ice being honored as coach Bill Riley (Medford, Mass.) of the Lowell Chiefs, Lowell Tech, University of Lowell and UMass Lowell hockey teams. Hugely popular.
        So my question is... are Bill Riley and Brett Riley related? If so, how?
        I thought Brett’s dad was Rob, and his grandfather was Jack.
        Thanks.
        I could be wrong, but I think Bill Riley SR (Bills dad) and Brett's grandfather were Brothers. So that would make them some type of "cousin". Part of the famous Dartmouth College Riley brothers .....

Comment

Riley is carrying out a family tradition. His father, Rob Riley, is an amateur scout for the Columbus Blue Jackets who previously coached in the American Hockey League with the Springfield Falcons. Brett’s father and grandfather, Jack Riley, both served as the Head coach at Army West Point, and his uncle Brian Riley is the current head coach of the Knights. Brett’s grandfather Jack led the 1960 USA Hockey team to a gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley. https://www2.hws.edu/riley-14-named-...ey-head-coach/
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
            Riley is carrying out a family tradition. His father, Rob Riley, is an amateur scout for the Columbus Blue Jackets who previously coached in the American Hockey League with the Springfield Falcons. Brett’s father and grandfather, Jack Riley, both served as the Head coach at Army West Point, and his uncle Brian Riley is the current head coach of the Knights. Brett’s grandfather Jack led the 1960 USA Hockey team to a gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Squaw Valley. https://www2.hws.edu/riley-14-named-...ey-head-coach/
            His father Rob works for the Buffalo Sabres

Comment

Short story: in about 1963 a friend and I hitchhiked down to West Point to see Colgate play Army on the ice. I had a friend on the Army team who introduced me to Coach Jack Riley after the game. He struck me as a real gentleman as well as a great coach. I believe we beat the cadets that day, but Coach Riley did not display any animosity toward us and seemed to relish meeting fans of the opposition team. His coaching of the 1960 USA Gold Medal Olympic team had me intimidated at first, however he came across as a humble and decent man, who was genuinely interested in me. Great guy, great coach.
              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Thanks for the backstories, all.
                Still not sure we’ve established definitively a connection to the Lowell coaching icon Bill Riley.

Comment

I'm fairly happy with allowing 2.5 GPG tied for #20 in the country but scoring 1.5 GPG isn't going to win many games. Also, we haven't given up more than three goals in any game. Four of the games were against ranked teams, going 1-1-2. If we scored just one more goal a game our record would be 4-4 right now against some very stiff competition. I think we're getting closer.

Big Silver Puck weekend, Yale and Brown split against each other last weekend, Bruno is no longer the doormat of the league, no easy weekends, gotta win at home.
                  Last edited by sshablak; 11-08-2019, 10:09 AM.
                  It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

All I am looking for is 1 point per game in ECAC play. That will almost guarantee a home playoff series. Anything more is a bonus

Comment

I consider a 4-goal minimum differential to be a ‘blow-out.’

Two years ago...
                      Colgate 5, Niagara 1.
                      New Hampshire 5, Colgate 0.
                      Colgate 5, Western Michigan 1.
                      Colgate 4, Princeton 0.
                      Yale 5, Colgate 1.
                      Clarkson 5, Colgate 1 (ECAC tourney).

Last year...
                      RIT 6, Colgate 1.
                      Miami 6, Colgate 0.
                      Quinnipiac 5, Colgate 0.
                      Harvard 6, Colgate 1.
                      Quinnipiac 6, Colgate 0.
                      Union 6, Colgate 0.
                      Colgate 5, Union 1.
                      Union 4, Colgate 0 (ECAC tourney).

This year...
                      None so far.

Comment

Mitch Benson led the team on the ice for tonight’s pre-game warm-up for the ECAC home contest against Yale University.

Comment

Colgate 17, Yale 7, SOG after one.
                          Colgate 2, Yale 0, score after one.
                          Yale definitely looked like a team playing just its third game together.
                          Beautiful first goal by Young.
                          Yale goalie bobbled and McAvoy capitalized on it for our second goal.
                          Coming off really strong controlling play in third period and OT in Providence, we did the same tonight in the first period.
                          Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-08-2019, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Colgate 23, Yale 21, SOG after two.
                            Colgate 2, Yale 0, score after two.
                            Mitch Benson played very well that period.
                            First penalty of game (against Colgate) came late in second period.
                            One thing I am happy to see...
                            When puck sits in opponent’s end, near blue line, our defensemen are being aggressive and going after it, instead of immediately back-pedaling.
                            Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 11-08-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

If you watch a replay on ESPN+, watch the save by benson with about 8 min in the second period

Comment

Yale 31, Colgate 24, SOG final.
                                Colgate 2, Yale 1, score final.
                                Not pretty but we hung on.

Comment

Working...
                                X