X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
    ColSkate65,
    Sprint car fan Donovan Ott of Lebanon, Penna., was at RPI one year ago, then transferred to Utica (N.Y.) College this past year and did quite well for himself (and for his Pioneers team) this season. I was hoping to catch one of their games, but unfortunately never did.
    I hope and trust that you and all the other regulars on here are doing alright. So far, so good, here.
    So far, so good here. Hope you - and other posters - are coping during this shutdown. It sucks! Was able to see Montreal play the Blackhawks a couple of nights ago - a real "Original Six" battle. Despite these nightly games being replays they are still exciting to watch. It gives me my hockey fix.
    COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Providence at Colgate to open their season.
      Apparently just one game.

Previously reported...

Colgate headed to (Marquette in) Northern Michigan.

UConn coming to Hamilton, N.Y.

Comment

McMann signed with Toronto. https://www.wktv.com/content/news/Co...569339901.html
        ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

hope everyone is healthy...given the old farts on our thread it's especially important, obviously...good news on the recruiting front...our three incoming freshmen for next year born in 1999 all received "bumps" in their evaluation level by "Neutral Zone"...Elliott McDermott went from 3.5 to 4.0 (out of five), and Nick Anderson and Levi Glasmen went from 3.75 to 4.0...Mitton, a 2000 birth year is also 4.0 as is Alex Young...it's just once source, but this incoming class of nine looks quite good for 2020-21...as TheCoat opined months ago we've got two aggressive and talented young men doing the recruiting work and it does seem to be paying off...again, let's get through this thing as fast as possible and wish everyone the best...

Comment

https://gocolgateraiders.com/news/20...vPD3XJ1NqvdU4I

Comment

So good to hear from some of our posters! The virus has hit little Hamilton pretty hard with several people testing positive, being hospitalized and one death.
              Great to hear from Coat about the incoming class. It gives me hope for next year! Take good care everyone and, as always, Go 'Gate!!

Comment

Just a note...
                NCAA Hockey is replaying vintage Frozen Four games on their Facebook page all this weekend. Today I watched North Dakota lose in the afternoon game and Michigan lose in the evening game. I was at both games in-person, so it was fun watching them again today... although not as much fun as logging in a new arena in Detroit, Mich., would have been.

Comment

IBT...you must have several publishing houses begging for your college hockey experiences...proceeds from any contract can be sent to Jerry Quill, head of the SPC...you might even get a thank you note...

Comment

GreenCoat,
                    Many people have a thing they do every year, or a place they go. For me, it's the Frozen Four.
                    My love of Colgate comes from two brothers, who graduated in 1959 and '69, respectively.

In 1980, I graduated (from Buffalo State) and moved to Utica, working there from 1980-85 at GE and going to 'Gate games.
                    From 1985-89, I worked at Miller Brewing in Milwaukee. Wisconsin sold out, so I regularly traveled to the Univ. of Illinois - Chicago (UIC) for CCHA games.
                    In 1989, I started work at the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum in Knoxville, Iowa, where I worked for the next 28 years.

But, in early 1990, when the late Terry Slater took his Colgate team to the title game against Wisconsin at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, it was a 'wake-up call' to me.
                    Why were they there, and I wasn't?

My first Frozen Four was in 1993 in Milwaukee, although it wasn't called that then. Since, it's easier for me to list where I didn't go...
                    Anaheim in 1999 ('college hockey championship should not be played in the South;' ironically, I now love Tampa as a host city),
                    Albany in 2001 (saw Esa Tikkanen play for the Essen Moskitos in Germany),
                    Saint Paul in 2002 (gave my tix to friends in the Twin Cities, but why?),
                    Ford Field in Detroit in 2010 ('college hockey national championship should not be played on a temporary ice rink'), and
                    Chicago in 2017 (spent March-April-May in hospice/hospital/rehab in Des Moines).

My Frozen Four priority number is pretty high, so my seats this weekend at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit were likely going to be my best ever. Dang!

When Univ. of Nebraska - Omaha (UNO) first started their D-1 program later in the 1990s, they sold out their Civic Auditorium.
                    So I would then head north for games in Mankato, Saint Cloud and Mariucci, which was Standing Room Only.
                    But, when Omaha moved into the 14,700-seat Qwest Center in 2003, that became my new hockey home. I could just walk up and buy a ticket each game.
                    And when they announced plans for their smaller on-campus Baxter Arena (which opened in 2015), I wanted to be on 'the list,' so I got a season ticket.
                    My health issues forced an early retirement and my move back to upstate New York. I am now one 'happy camper' as a Colgate season ticket-holder.

No book needed now that I've told you my Frozen Four story for free. However, know that if I had real money, I would give it to Colgate Hockey's SP Fund.
                    I really want to see them compete in the national tournament again. And, at the Frozen Four, like Omaha did in 2015 in Boston.
                    Sadly, I realize that more money might help the Colgate Raiders achieve both of those dreams.
                    Go 'Gate.
                    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 04-10-2020, 11:39 AM.

Comment

GreenCoat,
                      Many people have a thing they do every year, or a place they go. For me, it's the Frozen Four.
                      My love of Colgate comes from two brothers, who graduated in 1959 and '69, respectively.

In 1980, I graduated (from Buffalo State) and moved to Utica, working there from 1980-85 at GE and going to 'Gate games.
                      From 1985-89, I worked at Miller Brewing in Milwaukee. Wisconsin sold out, so I regularly traveled to the Univ. of Illinois - Chicago (UIC) for CCHA games.
                      In 1989, I started work at the National Sprint Car Hall of Fame & Museum in Knoxville, Iowa, where I worked for the next 28 years.

But, in early 1990, when the late Terry Slater took his Colgate team to the title game against Wisconsin at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit, it was a 'wake-up call' to me.
                      Why were they there, and I wasn't?

My first Frozen Four was in 1993 in Milwaukee, although it wasn't called that then. Since, it's easier for me to list where I didn't go...
                      Anaheim in 1999 ('college hockey championship should not be played in the South;' ironically, I now love Tampa as a host city),
                      Albany in 2001 (saw Esa Tikkanen play for the Essen Moskitos in Germany instead),
                      Saint Paul in 2002 (gave my tix to friends in the Twin Cities, but why?),
                      Ford Field in Detroit in 2010 ('college hockey national championship should not be played on a temporary ice rink'), and
                      Chicago in 2017 (spent March-April-May in hospice/hospital/rehab in Des Moines).

My Frozen Four priority number is pretty high, so my seats this weekend at Little Caesars Arena in Detroit were likely going to be my best ever. Dang!

When Univ. of Nebraska - Omaha (UNO) first started their D-1 program later in the 1990s, they sold out their Civic Auditorium.
                      So I would then head north for games in Mankato, Saint Cloud and Mariucci, which was Standing Room Only.
                      But, when they moved into the 14,700-seat Qwest Center in 2003, that became my new hockey home. I could just walk up and buy a ticket each game.
                      And when they announced plans for their smaller on-campus Baxter Arena (which opened in 2015), I wanted to be on 'the list,' so I got a season ticket.
                      My health issues forced an early retirement and my move back to upstate New York. I am now one 'happy camper' as a Colgate season ticket-holder.

No book needed now that I've told you my Frozen Four story for free. However, know that if I had real money, I would give it to Colgate Hockey's SP Fund.
                      I really want to see them compete in the national tournament again. And, at the Frozen Four, like Omaha did in 2015 in Boston.
                      Sadly, I realize that more money might help the Colgate Raiders achieve both of those dreams.
                      Go 'Gate.
                      Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 04-10-2020, 02:38 PM.

Comment

very much hope to meet you next year...ah! I remember 1989-90 very well and can probably name virtually the entire squad from memory...still have the Sports Illustrated article from the game where we simply didn't play very well until it was too, too late...since the semis were on Friday and the finals Sunday afternoon (I had a hernia that was bothering me) it was a wild weekend...I pray for one more chance...

Comment

Green Coat,
                          Yeah, I wish I had been smarter then and made the effort. I never did see a game at Joe Louis Arena.
                          My Frozen Foursome is basically Alaska Mike, Clarkson Doug, Wisconsin Larry and Dartmouth Doug.
                          Buffalo Dave (Michigan fan) and Iowa Larry (North Dakota fan) are alternates.
                          Cincinnati (bad ice, combined with obnoxious Michigan fans) and Columbus (just didn't care about the tourney) were the two worst FF's that I have attended.
                          Let's definitely meet next year...

Comment

several weeks ago TheCoat asked a question regarding Jared Cockrell - in essence did he have another year of eligibility due to an early curtailment of his junior year (shut down after 7 games)? Well I will report tonight that Mr. Cockrell will be playing his "graduate" season (he qualified regarding the aforementioned) at St. Cloud State...it will be very interesting to see how his year goes...obviously, he is concussion-prone and that probably hurt his career in Hamilton...but he's feisty and has a good shot...I wish him luck after fighting concussions for several years...

Comment

Interesting, how did you get the info, friends of family ?
                              It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Shabby...I subscribe to "The Neutral Zone", a good source for a lot of stuff and only $120/year...

Comment

Working...
                                X