Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
    I know I say this a lot but I think it is true, our second two periods were well played and dare I say we out played them in those two. It seemed to me that in the second and third much of cornell’s pressure were rushes 2-2 or 2-1, they did not have a ton of zone time.

That being said, hockey is three periods long and that first period was not good at all. We got the goal and within a minute of play time they had two more.!goals are suppose to pump up the team that got the goal not that which gave it up
    Certainly Colgate played much better the last two periods, and Cornell was less crisp. Hard to say if it was just the nature of the score being what it was at that point.

Comment

Scoop, it could have been nature of the score, but we came to play in the second when we could have folded or played like crap

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        We have a football team?!
        No, not recently. But I bet you will someday, and then our guys will be squawking about that.

Comment

Originally posted by red133883 View Post
          Scoop, it could have been nature of the score, but we came to play in the second when we could have folded or played like crap
          I agree with you, Colgate did play with more urgency and put more pressure on Cornell in both the neutral zone and in Cornell’s defensive zone the last two periods. I’m only speculating in saying that Cornell perhaps got complacent, so it’s best to give Colgate great credit for not folding under adverse circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gate83 View Post
            No, not recently. But I bet you will someday, and then our guys will be squawking about that.
            I’ll take that bet. 8 team league since 1955, and zero outright titles. It shouldn’t even be theoretically possible to suck so much.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Make that 5-25-7. The next worst record we have vs. an ECAC opponent is Yale, where we're 7-18-3 going back to the 2006-07 season, when Keith Allain became head coach.

Even worse, we had a golden opportunity to gain ground against RPI, Harvard, and Dartmouth since we were making up our "games in hand" on those teams this past weekend. And we earned NOTHING. We're in prime position to host a playoff series but we've only won 2 games at home this season. Can we get on a roll and make some noise in the playoffs? Maybe. We'll see.
              Colgate '09

Comment

Rainman...ironically our support on the road, especially in light of our small size, is actually quite good...our Snowflakes, I guess, are engaged in other pursuits...

Comment

So, looking at the schedule. We are four points back of Harvard for 4th (if we tie them then we win). Tied with RPI but they beat us and own the tie breaker if they tie on Friday.

We have the EXACT same league schedule remaining as Harvard. With 6 games left we need four points, not the easiest, but to be honest at least we play the same teams so it will be a true battle. If we beat RPI we are in the drivers seat for 5th and then who knows what Harvard does. If it comes down to the last day of the season we have SLU at home, I’d take that. (Not presuming victory but gives us the absolute best chance)

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
                    Although historically it isn’t their style, I think Cornell was merciful.
                    We played better in the third, but we are nowhere near being in their league. They are big and strong physically, yet they have speed and finesse. The more I see them in-person, the more I think I could see them and North Dakota in Detroit in April, which would be my biggest fear (especially if Michigan somehow got there).

And, like he admits, what does Shabby know? He correctly forecast a win at Princeton, a loss at Quinnipiac, and a sweep by Cornell. Can he accurately predict the results of our next six games?
                    I use a Monte Carlo Simulation of 10-21 possibilities N= 1,000,000 for my picks
                    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Anyone watching the Cornell game notice?: the announcers said maybe the best Big Red line was all-freshmen. Yikes!

People want to know: what is the reason we can't get studs like Cornell does? Where are these guys coming from? I know Cornell is a much bigger school, but why can't we recruit as well as they do? Just because we have a smaller student body should not mean we are slackers when it comes to building a great team...or hockey tradition. Look at Yale. They might be a tad larger but they are consistently at the top of the standings. QU, RPI, Clarkson, I get it. Hockey is their #1 sport. But I just don't understand why we can't buy into the measures Cornell has taken to be #1 and to be at the top of the ECAC almost every year (...or in the top 4). ColSkate65 wants to know...
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

tradition/history is certainly part of it...plus the atmosphere at Lynah, plus some juice from being an Ivy...young coaches will get a better springboard in college hockey by working for Cornell than Colgate, at least in the past decade+...this may be changing with our current two assistant coaches (the best development to happen to Colgate hockey in a long time)...our smaller and beautiful campus may be a plus for us, but we really need to step up "selling" our program...again, next year's class compares favorably to Cornell's (9 players each, similar overall rating) so I am guardedly optimistic (yes, me) going forward...

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
                          I agree with you, Colgate did play with more urgency and put more pressure on Cornell in both the neutral zone and in Cornell’s defensive zone the last two periods. I’m only speculating in saying that Cornell perhaps got complacent, so it’s best to give Colgate great credit for not folding under adverse circumstances.
                          One thing that Colgate fans should take to heart is our "one job" was to tighten up our PK, yet you were able to score three PPG and had several other excellent chances. We were specifically working on this last weekend so the fact that the Raiders were still able to convert speaks well for them.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreenCoat View Post
                            tradition/history is certainly part of it...plus the atmosphere at Lynah, plus some juice from being an Ivy...young coaches will get a better springboard in college hockey by working for Cornell than Colgate, at least in the past decade+...this may be changing with our current two assistant coaches (the best development to happen to Colgate hockey in a long time)...our smaller and beautiful campus may be a plus for us, but we really need to step up "selling" our program...again, next year's class compares favorably to Cornell's (9 players each, similar overall rating) so I am guardedly optimistic (yes, me) going forward...
                            Given that as has been noted Colgate consistently pounds us in football and more recently has dominated us in basketball, I think the disparity in hockey is somewhat linked to Lynah and the overall tradition, as well as the fact that our business and hotel schools are attractive for a lot of the recruits. But I think the biggest factor is Schafer, who targets a certain type of player (which has changed in the last few years to keep pace with the faster game), and is just a great salesman for the program. I have always liked Vaughan, and I'm glad he seems to have brought in some assistants who are bringing in better talent, but clearly the talent gap has been pretty wide for the past number of years (that being said, McMann can play on my team anytime).
                            Last edited by Scoop85; 02-10-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoop85 View Post
                              Given that as has been noted Colgate consistently pounds us in football and more recently has dominated us in basketball, I think the disparity in hockey is somewhat linked to Lynah and the overall tradition, as well as the fact that our business and hotel schools are attractive for a lot of the recruits. But I think the biggest factor is Schafer, who targets a certain type of player (which has changed in the last few years to keep pace with the faster game), and is just a great salesman for the program. I have always like Vaughan, and I'm glad he seems to have brought in some assistants who are bringing in better talent, but clearly the talent gap has been pretty wide for the past number of years (that being said, McMann can play on my team anytime).
                              The fascinating thing about this is Vaughan and Schafer were assistant coaches together under McCutcheon and from all reports are good friends. IINM they have run summer training camps together.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

appreciate the above comments from (as usual) knowledgeable Cornell fans...and Cam Donaldson (another young man out of The Gunnery) didn't even play this weekend...and, yes, McMann does stand out for us and has played for close to four years with a team that has averaged 2 goals/game...he'll be playing pro hockey somewhere next year...with a down year for the ECAC we may have only two NCAA teams, but I expect Cornell will represent the league quite well...an NCAA title would be icing on the cake for a very good coach in Ithaca...

Comment

Working...
                                X