X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

RPI 20, Colgate 16, SOG after two.
    RPI 2, Colgate 1, score after two.

25 seconds in, Cockrell scored a beautiful goal.
    Then Andrew Farrier and Lady Luck kept us in it ‘til she went to get some free Valentine’s Day chocolates.
    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-14-2020, 07:30 PM.

Comment

Wow what was wrong with us that period. One goal came from a complete mental lapse at center ice which none of our guys wanted the puck.

Comment

RPI deserves to be ahead...they look much more focused and committed to winning than we do...credit Coach Smith for getting more out of his players this year than our staff has...regarding the "low" temps in Hamilton...do you think The Jug is empty tonight?

Comment

RPI 30, Colgate 29, final SOG.
          RPI 4, Colgate 1, final score.

Not pretty.

Comment

In almost 20 years of watching this team one of the worst games I’ve seen

Comment

an absolutely desultory performance...RPI was the superior team and, no question, deserved to win...1 goal in 2 games against a team ranked around #40 in the Pairwise...my guess (and I'd do the math but frankly at this point I could give a s***) is that our program has scored c. 260 goals in its last 130 games...almost four years...we've improved our recruiting, in large measure due to Borges and Riley...now it's time to do what has (sadly) been long overdue: change the program at the top...this is not a lifetime job with permanent job security...new coach and frankly a new head of the Silver Puck Council...do we want to get serious or not? As has been said many, many times we spent $38M for a great facility...how's that working out for us? Although no one would ever say this, mediocrity should not be a goal for this program...expectations should be higher and results should be better...how long are we going to wait and wait and wait and wait?

Comment

Lackluster performance, to say the least. Very disappointed!!

Comment

I braved the temps & made the game (sorry to miss you, IBT... will look for you tomorrow night). Game looked as bad in person as it did on TV, from the time we scored until the end of the game RPI basically dominated. I hear we have some injuries, but that was a poor effort. Attendance was bad from both the students (expected) and locals (temp? Valentine's Day?) but I'm thinking the folks who didn't show were the smart ones. Pretty forgettable, let's move on to Union...

Comment

Gate83, do look me up tonight at Union game.

I agree... I thought the second half of the first period, and the first minute of the second were decent for us. Turns out it’s a 60-minute game though.

Since I became a season ticket holder in 2017, I have not been too critical of our goalies as we often ask them to do absolutely everything... play goalie, be our defense (when we seemingly have none in front of you) and, if you can, try to score a goal too (when our offense has trouble ‘manufacturing goals’). Having said that, we suddenly seem to be hurting in that department now.

I also agree on attendance. The guy next to me had a good idea tonight... whomever controls the music inside the Arena should scout the crowd pre-game. If it’s light on college kids and an aging demographic, that person should tailor the music to the crowd. Maybe turn it down a notch, and play less rap and more Sinatra. Not a bad idea.

Where we disagree is on ‘the smart ones.’ There is a bumper sticker that reads something to the effect of... ‘a bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.’ That is how I feel about college hockey in general and Colgate hockey is particular... a bad day is still better than watching/doing anything else.
                    Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-14-2020, 11:47 PM.

Comment

For the life of me I don’t understand why we’re so terrible at home. It makes no sense. It might explain why attendance is so lousy.

Comment

Originally posted by Magoo View Post
                        For the life of me I don’t understand why we’re so terrible at home. It makes no sense. It might explain why attendance is so lousy.
                        Doesn't help that the price of admission is basically double what you had at Starr. Sure, you have to get ROI, but at least figure out some way to economically get local families in. Four seats at $40 is still better than zip.

At least your concessions significantly improved from last year.

Comment

at this time of year all teams have injuries, but losing Austin has been a big, big negative...BTW, if the product improves attendance will rise (although perhaps not where it should be)...from a fan's perspective this is not exciting hockey...and Langel's success has probably moved some people from The Class of 65 to Cotterell Court...we simply don't score goals, period, and it's not a one-year problem folks; it's become endemic to our program...praying we elevate our skill and speed over the next two years...

Comment

At the beginning of the game I looked and there were "ZERO" students in their section. Doesn't the Colgate shuttle give the students a ride from their dorms right to the game ?

I've been watching Gate hockey since 1962, I'm guessing no one but Bob McGaugh has seen more games(home) than me. The last 3-4 years have been some of the worst hockey I've seen since probably the mid 70's. They say we have some injuries, I think maybe we have been overachieving this season with Don getting 100% of what talent he has. A few injuries and some bad brakes has maybe put us realistically closer to reality. Considering where we were picked to finish, it's still been way better than what we all expected.

To put fannies in the seats you have to win games, I'm guilty also of not driving almost an hour dodging deer and snow when I can watch crisp clear ESPN+ and all the other ECAC games in front of my fireplace.

RPI was the better team last night, need to beat Union tonight or we may not get to play a home playoff series. Union was only losing 3-2 to Cornell in the third before Red scored two open netters in the last minute to make it 5-3.
                            It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Originally posted by Go Gate 3747 View Post
                              FYI, Coat, and not to defend the small #s at the games, it’s currently -3*, with wind chill of -9* in Hamilton.
                              I'm as guilty as Shabby for watching at home instead of driving 100 miles RT in the ice, snow, deer and tipsy drivers, but what do you expect in Hamilton in February for weather? I can remember attending many games in zero, or well below zero temps, wearing only a light shirt (that's what students do). This type of temperature has been around Hammy for about 8 million years, going back to the dinosaurs...it's not something new. Throw on a parka kids.

As to the play, midway through the 3rd period I thankfully had a Rangers win over the CBJ to cheer me up :-/ Let's beat Union and salvage something from the w/e.
                              COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

What is it Shabby, $5 a month to stream the games? Versus what, $14 a ticket? Anyone can do the math on that.

We’re 2-6-4 at home and 6-7-2 away. We can beat Lowell and Harvard on the road but can’t beat RIT, Miami, Princeton, or Brown at home? Come on.
                                Last edited by Magoo; 02-15-2020, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X