Colgate 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Colgate 2019-20

Great game! Happy for the guys! Let's finish it off with a W tonight! Go 'Gate!

Comment

Originally posted by iowabasedtraveler View Post
      Back in Owego and still wound up.
      What a solid effort by the team tonight.
      I think Clarkson probably looked past us towards the Big Game at Lynah tomorrow, which is totally understandable. And we took advantage of it by playing them close the entire game, even outplaying them at times. I thought we were more lucky than good in the first, but our second and third periods were outstanding. We haven’t been that aggressive and physical in a long time, in my opinion.
      I continue to love Clarkson (drove up there last Saturday to see their Dartmouth game), and how well they travel. Very vocal with their Let’s Go Tech chant, which is great atmosphere for a college hockey game. Having said that, in my three years of being back East, I don’t ever remember their fans (as a whole) as whiny as they were tonight. I sincerely hope that they aren’t trying to out-do Cornell fans (and coaches) in that regard now, where every loss or tie is because the officials are against them and the moons aren’t aligned properly. Sheesh!
      Oh, yeah, two years ago, we beat RPI in three games at home in the first round, only to travel to Clarkson for the second round and lose in another three games. Colton Point’s farewell games.
      P.P.S - Mitch Benson played another terrific game, as he has in the past. I feel really good about our two well-tested goalies, Mitch Benson and Andrew Farrier.
      Was the Clarkson pep band in attendance? They always make a lot of noise. (More computer problems so didn't see the game) Our pep band always had a difficult time keeping them at bay. BTW, nice article - and comprehensive - on Coach Vaughan on the CHN website.
      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

So it looks like if Colgate wins tonight and Dartmouth losses to RPI we can move up to 7th and get Union next week and then possibly @ Quinniipiac. We can’t jump Yale because of the second tiebreaker of total wins in conference play. That is much more favorable than at Cornell or Clarkson

Comment

Mitch Benson led the team on the ice again tonight for the pre-game warm-up.

Comment

I think if we get Union next week, and all lower seeds lose, we would face Clarkson, not Q-Pac in the next round...RPI beating Harvard last night (and RPI playing Dartmouth tonight, where the outcome is essentially bad no matter who wins) sealed our fate...I guess I'd rather play Union, but who knows? Win tonight and score some **** goals...

Comment

ANOTHER pathetic first period...lucky to be tied 1-1...

Comment

Saint Lawrence 12, Colgate 5, SOG after one.
                Colgate 1, Saint Lawrence 1, score after one.

We are playing whack-a-mole with the 59th ranked team in the nation.

Comment

Saint Lawrence 20, Colgate 17, SOG after two.
                  Colgate 1, Saint Lawrence 1, score after two.

Still playing whack-a-mole and not even sure we’re going to win a prize when it’s over.
                  A couple of weeks ago, I said “a bad college hockey game is still better than...”
                  I am beginning to rethink that line. This is painful to watch.

Comment

We are playing to our opponent. Yesterday was a well played game, tonight even though we should roll just struggling

Comment

Its the hex the Larries have on us because of DV's St. Lawrence pedigree..:-)
                      COLGATE HOCKEY:"Is this the year?"

Comment

Saint Lawrence 27, Colgate 25, SOG after three.
                        Colgate 2, Saint Lawrence 2, score after three.

Going to OT.

Win gets us Union, I think.
                        Tie or Loss gets us Brown, I think.

Comment

Saint Lawrence 31, Colgate 28, SOG after OT.
                          Colgate 2, Saint Lawrence 2, final score.

Comment

a disappointing end to another disappointing regular season...frankly, I feel like IBT and didn't even watch the overtime...after FOURTEEN years of pure mediocrity it gets tiresome, real tiresome...

Comment

Back in Owego and still wound up after tonight’s game (but not in a good way)...
                              Random thoughts on tonight’s tie...
                              Last night, we didn’t lose against a Top Ten team in the entire country (according to PWR).
                              Tonight, we didn’t beat a team that isn’t even in the Top Ten in our league (according to ECAC).
                              Same players, same skill set. Same coaches, same skill set. It doesn’t even make sense, seem logical, nor seem possible.
                              Plus, tonight was the culmination of our regular season; the end result of all the drills, all the practices, all the games. And it was Senior Night; the night for all of our Seniors to shine. With many parents of Seniors in attendance. And we couldn’t beat PWR #59 of 60.
                              Last night’s tie “seemed like a win.” We came from behind (against a superior opponent) and scored the game-tying goal.
                              Tonight’s tie “seemed like a loss.” We were ahead (against an inferior opponent) and gave up the game-tying goal.
                              Of our 5 ties this season, a league high (tied with Harvard), how many “seemed like a win?” How many “seemed like a loss?”
                              Princeton seemed like a loss at home.
                              Harvard seemed like a loss at home.
                              Dartmouth seemed like a win at home.
                              Clarkson seemed like a win at home.
                              Saint Lawrence seemed like a loss at home.
                              Of course, we also tied at UMass Lowell, Miami at home, and at Providence in non-conference play.
                              And, finally, we finished the ECAC regular season at 8-9-5 and 21 points, good for 8th place. With just five more timely goals, we could have finished at 13-9-0 and 26 points, but that would still only have been good for 5th place in the adjusted standings (no first round bye).
                              Last edited by iowabasedtraveler; 02-29-2020, 11:52 PM.

Comment

What I look for are the reflective, insightful, inspiring comments by Coach Vaughan after each game...but I couldn't find any.

At this point in the season last year...

2019-2020 - 8-9-5 / 10-16-8...(10 wins in 34 games)...add 2 W/L vs. Brown.
                                2018-2019 - 7-12-3 / 10-21-3...(10 wins in 34 games)...add 2 more playoff losses @Union, 4-1 & 4-0

There is no trajectory. We have officially flatlined. Enough excuses and optimism already, call it for what it is: a Coach who should hang up his skates and an administration not willing to face reality or criticism.
                                C O L G A T E
                                2023 ECAC CHAMPION
                                1990 NCAA FINALS
                                https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tiU0vQxIQE8

ECAC Pick the Standings Champion, 2008
                                ECAC Pick 'Em Champion, 2010 & 2015
                                ECAC Pick the Playoffs Champion, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X