Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2019/2020: Underclassmen Reign

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
    Yes, plenty of ugly hockey, ill advised/lazy passes, over the weekend but they managed to get 3 points out of it. Agree about Wall, he's been solid all season.

They need to get the PP going, only 1 for 12 on the weekend and 3 for 35 on the season. The next 6 games will be huge in regards to league standings (@UVM, @UVM, ME, ME, @UConn, UConn).The Hawks need to take care of business.
    Don't play to the level of your opponent.
    Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
    2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
    2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
      Don't be the Dallas Cowboys
      Tully Rink Rat
      Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
      Youngstar
      UML Class of 09

Comment

The two of them really seem to like waiting an extra second or two to drop the puck. It's like they're horny for throwing guys off the dot.

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
          Matt Brown is really coming alive we might have something special on our hands with him. Kid has no fear in his game and skates like he his 6-3.
          His lack of fear and Charlie Hustle attitude reminds me of Gambardella.
          University of Lowell, 1987

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
            His lack of fear and Charlie Hustle attitude reminds me of Gambardella.
            Not surprised what Matt is doing he has a nice resume freshman class as a whole looks outstanding

Comment

Tyler Wall named HE defensive player of the week.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...t-st-cloud.php

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                Tyler Wall named HE defensive player of the week.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/men/arti...t-st-cloud.php
                Team clocks in at #17 in the latest USCHO Poll
                Tully Rink Rat
                Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
                Youngstar
                UML Class of 09

Comment

Lowell is the CHN Team of the Week.

Comment

The title of this thread got me wondering when the last time UML had a roster composition weighing heavily with underclassman. Being the nerd I am I copied/pasted all the roster information from the HE website and made a spreadsheet to analyze. The data is only as good as its source and does not take into account which players may have been "active". With that caveat out of the way, this is what caught my eye:

Back in the 2010-11 season (Bazin's first?), the roster had Sr-Jr-So-Fr --> 5-5-6-13. So, 10 upperclassmen and 19 lower. For what its worth they finished dead last in HE.

The following year, 2011-12, the roster was comprised of 4-3-9-11; so 7 upper and 20 lowerclassmen. The team tied for 2nd in HE. Although they were bounced in the first round of the HE playoffs they were invited to the NCAA tourney and made it to the regional finals.

I see that the roster composition for those two back-to-back years (2010-11 and 2011-12) is almost identical to last year and this year.
                    2018-19 was comprised of 5-6-6-13; 11 upper and 19 lower.
                    2019-20 is comprised of 3-4-12-9; 7 upper and 21 lower.

What does it mean? Most likely nothing. But we do know that the 2011-12 team was the start of an amazing 6 year run in UML hockey history with youngsters making up the core like Wilson, Arnold, Pedenza, and Ruhwedel. Do we have something similar taking root now? Time will tell, but we do know that this team will be fun to watch this year.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonSoccerDad View Post
                      The title of this thread got me wondering when the last time UML had a roster composition weighing heavily with underclassman. Being the nerd I am I copied/pasted all the roster information from the HE website and made a spreadsheet to analyze. The data is only as good as its source and does not take into account which players may have been "active". With that caveat out of the way, this is what caught my eye:

Back in the 2010-11 season (Bazin's first?), the roster had Sr-Jr-So-Fr --> 5-5-6-13. So, 10 upperclassmen and 19 lower. For what its worth they finished dead last in HE.

The following year, 2011-12, the roster was comprised of 4-3-9-11; so 7 upper and 20 lowerclassmen. The team tied for 2nd in HE. Although they were bounced in the first round of the HE playoffs they were invited to the NCAA tourney and made it to the regional finals.

I see that the roster composition for those two back-to-back years (2010-11 and 2011-12) is almost identical to last year and this year.
                      2018-19 was comprised of 5-6-6-13; 11 upper and 19 lower.
                      2019-20 is comprised of 3-4-12-9; 7 upper and 21 lower.

What does it mean? Most likely nothing. But we do know that the 2011-12 team was the start of an amazing 6 year run in UML hockey history with youngsters making up the core like Wilson, Arnold, Pedenza, and Ruhwedel. Do we have something similar taking root now? Time will tell, but we do know that this team will be fun to watch this year.

You could have just gone to the Game Notes - this blurb has been in there since the start of the season:

YOUTH MUST BE SERVED: With a nine-member freshman class, twenty-one of the
                      28 players on the UMass Lowell roster are underclassmen. Seventy-five percent
                      of the roster has no more than one year of college hockey experience. There are
                      nine are freshmen, twelve sophomores, four juniors and three seniors on the roster.
                      The River Hawks, going into the season, average 27.5-games experience per player.
                      Last year 19 of 30 players were freshmen or sophomores. It is the largest group of
                      underclassmen since the 2003-04 season when 25 of 30 players on the roster were
                      underclassmen. The team also had 21 underclassmen during the 2007-08 season.
                      This one too:
                      UNDERCLASSMEN: The UMass Lowell underclass (9 freshmen and 12 sophomores),
                      at 21, is one of the largest in the country. Only Quinnipiac with 22 has more.
                      Merrimack also has 21.
                      Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                      "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                        You could have just gone to the Game Notes - this blurb has been in there since the start of the season... <>
                        What would the fun be by simply reading Game Notes?

The point I was trying to emphasize was the similarity of the back-to-back years, not just one year: 2010-11 + 2011-12 ~= 2018-19 + 2019-20
                        Ugh that looks like a math equation waiting to be solved.

Regardless, historical stuff like that does not accurately forecast the future. Just fun to think about.

Comment

What would the fun be by simply reading Game Notes?

The point I was trying to emphasize was the similarity of the back-to-back years, not just one year: 2010-11 + 2011-12 ~= 2018-19 + 2019-20
                          Ugh that looks like a math equation waiting to be solved.

Regardless, historical stuff like that does not accurately forecast the future. Just fun to think about.
                          Except that 2010-11 was Blaise's last year as coach, and 2011-12 was Norm's first year, so you really can't compare them.
                          Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                          "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                            Except that 2010-11 was Blaise's last year as coach, and 2011-12 was Norm's first year, so you really can't compare them.
                            Per the Hockey East website, Norm is listed on the Roster Page as the Head Coach for the 2010-11 season. Must be wrong? Regardless it doesn't make that much difference to the comparison unless the roster significantly changed when Blaise left (other than seniors moving on).

Comment

Per the Hockey East website, Norm is listed on the Roster Page as the Head Coach for the 2010-11 season. Must be wrong? Regardless it doesn't make that much difference to the comparison unless the roster significantly changed when Blaise left (other than seniors moving on).
                              Yeah the HE site is wrong. Norm's first season was 11-12. Wikipedia has it right

I think there was some roster turnover beyond seniors graduating when Norm came in. I can't tell you the exact number, but I recall him being asked about that during an interview and he said something a long the lines of there were some kids on the team that didn't have hockey has a top priority.

I guess this season we have more underclassmen than ususal, but don't we usually have more underclassmen? Some kids always leave the program and Norm rarely brings in transfers.

Comment

Matt Brown named HE rookie of the month for October.
                                https://goriverhawks.com/news/2019/1...the-month.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X