X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UML 2019/2020: Underclassmen Reign

Originally posted by tape View Post
    Or as we like to call it in 106, "the Kapla."
    Yeah but Kapla would try to stretch the zone with a pass from blue to blue and hit a streaking winger at the attacking blue line to enter the zone

Now it feels like we have 3 forwards just standing around while 1 guy tries to force carry the puck
    Tully Rink Rat
    Dick Umile Told Me To Go Fudge Myself Club
    Youngstar
    UML Class of 09

Comment

• Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
      Yeah but Kapla would try to stretch the zone with a pass from blue to blue and hit a streaking winger at the attacking blue line to enter the zone

Now it feels like we have 3 forwards just standing around while 1 guy tries to force carry the puck
      Most of us call the pp a joke look what Kapla had to work with a tad different

Comment

1st period went well last night. Thought they did a great job pressuring puck carriers and played a very aggressive and heavy forecheck in the first frame. Better breakouts during 5 on 5 play and the power play as well. They 1st PP saw some solid puck retention and zone time. Was really happy to see Knoblauch get off the snide and back on the scoring sheet, it's been a trying year for him. He made a couple of good retention plays to keep zone time alive for Lowell. Stuff like that doesn't show up on the scoring sheet, but should be noted.

Not sure what happened in the 2nd. UNH flipped the script on the Hawks and Lowell seemed to have no answer for the pressure. Saw way too many turnovers in the 2nd coming out of the defensive zone and at the offensive blue line. I believe it was Chase who took the slashing call in the 2nd, but Baxter left him no choice by turning over the puck right at the blue line.

Third period I thought Lowell did a great job at building momentum leading up to the 6 on 4 goal. They returned to hounding puck carriers and the game got stuck for a while in the neutral zone. What kind of captain takes a hooking call with 2 minutes left in a one goal game? UNH really goofed on that one and it was nice to see Lowell score a goal from 45' feet out....

Huge game tonight, this is a must-win if they want home ice...
        Tully Rink Rat
        Youngstar
        UML Class of 09

Comment

1st period went well last night. Thought they did a great job pressuring puck carriers and played a very aggressive and heavy forecheck in the first frame. Better breakouts during 5 on 5 play and the power play as well. They 1st PP saw some solid puck retention and zone time. Was really happy to see Knoblauch get off the snide and back on the scoring sheet, it's been a trying year for him. He made a couple of good retention plays to keep zone time alive for Lowell. Stuff like that doesn't show up on the scoring sheet, but should be noted.

Not sure what happened in the 2nd. UNH flipped the script on the Hawks and Lowell seemed to have no answer for the pressure. Saw way too many turnovers in the 2nd coming out of the defensive zone and at the offensive blue line. I believe it was Chase who took the slashing call in the 2nd, but Baxter left him no choice by turning over the puck right at the blue line.

Third period I thought Lowell did a great job at building momentum leading up to the 6 on 4 goal. They returned to hounding puck carriers and the game got stuck for a while in the neutral zone. What kind of captain takes a hooking call with 2 minutes left in a one goal game? UNH really goofed on that one and it was nice to see Lowell score a goal from 45' feet out....

Huge game tonight, this is a must-win if they want home ice...
          Better on the road

Comment

Originally posted by Turk_Sanderson View Post
            We can play the what if game all day long

But what if Ryan Lohin had stayed for his senior year? I hate to say this, but we just don't have that "guy" this year. I'm not going to put Ryan on the same pedestal as a John Leonard, but you need a guy who can score in crunch time. How many one goal/tie games have we played this year?

Feels like a lot of our goals are coming from high percentage areas only. Also feels like we are getting the puck to that high percentage area a lot and then not turning it into a shot on goal. The puck just sits there or gets lost in the sea of bodies and gets cleared away.

I don't think my hypothetical of Ryan staying fixes some of the movement problems we have been seeing this year which I think comes more from the back end. But I do think it would have cured some of the puck retention problems we are having in the offensive zone. Having a player like that for teams to key on during a PK allow for better looks at the net as well.

We all knew going into this year this was a young team and with young teams come inconsistency. I carried over my attitude of this is another "bridge" year with the amount of freshmen we would be playing. But, to balance that out our best player is luckily is a goaltender which can keep us in most games.

What grinds my gears the most about this team is their breakout play during the power play. Where a guy will carry the puck to the red line and then drop it back to Chase on the blue line.

Northeastern ran the same breakout back when Dylan Sikura was there

Sikura's speed allowed him to stretch the ice and open up lanes to get the puck into the zone. Chase who is an OK skater gets pressured starting at the red line and has to dump the puck in the zone at the blue line most times and we lose retention. It's really frustrating trying to a watch Lowell execute a play that most coaches know how to defend against and has not worked since we implemented this system.
            Speaking of Lohin, does anyone know if he was hurt this year? He's only appeared in 15 games in the ECHL for the Lightning affiliate. Hindsight, it would have been nice for Lowell if he had stayed for another season, and maybe for his development, too.

Comment

I am not good with math statistics but what I calculated is we can finish no lower than 5th place. Maine could tie us but we would have the tie breaker. BU could tie us but they would have the tie breaker. If UCONN wins they pass us. So would 1 point clinch home ice?

Comment

Originally posted by UMLSec123 View Post
                I am not good with math statistics but what I calculated is we can finish no lower than 5th place. Maine could tie us but we would have the tie breaker. BU could tie us but they would have the tie breaker. If UCONN wins they pass us. So would 1 point clinch home ice?
                Yes, a tie gives UML 28 points and there's no way for anyone under us to get higher than 27 so a tie would clinch at least 3rd place. Probably not happening but if VT shocks Amherst on Thursday UML would be playing for second place with a win over CT.

Comment

It's actually fairly simple for Lowell at this point:

Lowell Win + UMass Loss to UVM = #2 seed
                  Lowell Win +UMass Win or Tie vs UVM = #3 seed
                  Lowell Tie = #3 Seed
                  Lowell Loss + BU sweeps NU + PC Win or Tie vs Maine = #5 Seed
                  Lowell Loss + BU sweeps NU + Maine beats PC = #6 Seed
                  Anything Else = #4 Seed
                  Last edited by ScottK; 03-01-2020, 10:16 AM. Reason: Add in a scenario that drops Lowell to #6
                  Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                  "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

• Originally posted by ScottK View Post
                    It's actually fairly simple for Lowell at this point:

Lowell Win + UMass Loss to UVM = #2 seed
                    Lowell Win +UMass Win or Tie vs UVM = #3 seed
                    Lowell Tie = #3 Seed
                    Lowell Loss + BU sweeps NU = #5 Seed
                    Anything Else = #4 Seed
                    It is even more simple than that from Maineā€™s perspective...

Lowell win

Go hawks!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackI View Post
                      It is even more simple than that from Maineā€™s perspective...

Lowell win

Go hawks!
                      Better on the road

Comment

What kind of captain takes a hooking call with 2 minutes left in a one goal game? ...
                        Unfortunately, our kind. Big change from his first three seasons. It really looks like the ā€œCā€ was too much for him.
                        Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

I was glad to see Wyse got booted last night for his head shot. Miller missed one on Friday right in front of him in the corner of the student section. I suspect this is why Zach Kaiser was unavailable last night, but just speculation on my end.

Tyler was once again spectacular in net. I don't think any goalie was stopping that Crookshank shot.

Sam Knoblauch had another great game last night. Made a great defensive play after coughing up a puck which led to UNH breakaway.

Rouillard deserves some credit for making the right call there on the goal as well. Once in a lifetime performance by that on Robinson. He just ceded the net and flopped over assuming he would get the call. The UNH flopping was really unbecoming the entire weekend especially when they play a pretty dirty to game to begin with.

Nice to see Colin sink that penalty shot and get credited for the GWG last night. Kenny missed a wide open glove side net. A shot he can usually bury no problem and you could see it on his face after the whistle.

They control their own fate at this point...
                          Tully Rink Rat
                          Youngstar
                          UML Class of 09

Comment

Nice to see Colin sink that penalty shot and get credited for the GWG last night. .
                            Baxter's goal was the Game-Winner.
                            Charter Member of darin's "UML Seven"

"I just hate Boston College to be perfectly honest'' -Ken Dorsey
                            "It's time for my favorite NCAA tradition ... that's right, rooting against BC!" -Bill Simmons

Comment

I was glad to see Wyse got booted last night for his head shot. Miller missed one on Friday right in front of him in the corner of the student section. I suspect this is why Zach Kaiser was unavailable last night, but just speculation on my end.

Tyler was once again spectacular in net. I don't think any goalie was stopping that Crookshank shot.

Sam Knoblauch had another great game last night. Made a great defensive play after coughing up a puck which led to UNH breakaway.

Rouillard deserves some credit for making the right call there on the goal as well. Once in a lifetime performance by that on Robinson. He just ceded the net and flopped over assuming he would get the call. The UNH flopping was really unbecoming the entire weekend especially when they play a pretty dirty to game to begin with.

Nice to see Colin sink that penalty shot and get credited for the GWG last night. Kenny missed a wide open glove side net. A shot he can usually bury no problem and you could see it on his face after the whistle.

They control their own fate at this point...
                              They showed a replay online of the Wyse hit from the corner camera and it was an obvious head shot. Agree about Tyler Wall, at times in the 3rd period it looked like the Hawks were trying to give the game away. A lot of turn overs and sloppy play. Over all a nice job by the Hawks getting 3 out of 4 points on the weekend. It wasn't pretty at times but they got the job done. Huge game on Friday against UConn.

It appears UNH will reduce the ice surface at Lake Whitt during the off season.
                              https://www.seacoastonline.com/sport...face-to-shrink

Comment

Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                They showed a replay online of the Wyse hit from the corner camera and it was an obvious head shot. Agree about Tyler Wall, at times in the 3rd period it looked like the Hawks were trying to give the game away. A lot of turn overs and sloppy play. Over all a nice job by the Hawks getting 3 out of 4 points on the weekend. It wasn't pretty at times but they got the job done. Huge game on Friday against UConn.

It appears UNH will reduce the ice surface at Lake Whitt during the off season.
                                https://www.seacoastonline.com/sport...face-to-shrink
                                Barton blowing his edge coming out of the zone was painful to watch. Tyler didn't save his bacon he saved the entire hog.

UNH is going down to 90' feet. Funny to think 25 years ago they assumed more teams would be building the bigger ice surfaces.
                                Tully Rink Rat
                                Youngstar
                                UML Class of 09

Comment

Working...
                                X