UML 2019/2020: Underclassmen Reign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by coco7 View Post
    Follow along skippy. Has nothing to do with Tier 1 players. Has to do with getting invested players and invested fans. Fans love to see kids from region. Players from east coast are more invested in being part of Hockey East teams. Hockey East teams with the most area invested players win. Stats don't lie.
    Skip don’t care we’re they come from just want wins ok skip I can remember old days skip 900 fans way back so skip get to the games

Comment

• Re: UML 2019/2020: Underclassmen Reign

Originally posted by chiefs11 View Post
      Skip don’t care we’re they come from just want wins ok skip I can remember old days skip 900 fans way back so skip get to the games
      Well, chief, you aren't going to get wins chasing tier 1 players from across the world. You don't need the best players, you need the right ones. UML is a championship program. When they start taking pride in that and in their roots, they'll get the right ones and the wins again.

Comment

• Originally posted by coco7 View Post
        Well, chief, you aren't going to get wins chasing tier 1 players from across the world. You don't need the best players, you need the right ones. UML is a championship program. When they start taking pride in that and in their roots, they'll get the right ones and the wins again.
        Sounds good

Comment

I agree, Lowell should only recruit local players. Imagine how much better they'd be. It's not like the best player in program history was from Michigan or anything.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
            I agree, Lowell should only recruit local players. Imagine how much better they'd be. It's not like the best player in program history was from Michigan or anything.
            Shh, we should only target kids from the east because they are clearly better than players from the west. It should be clear given the performance of all teams in the NCAA that all the Frozen Four teams for the last 4 years have been from the East. You know, like UMass' best player last year who was from... western canada.

The idea that casual fan support is linked to winning makes sense to me. The idea that recruiting local kids is going to lead to more wins is... far less obvious, and cherrypicked stats do nothing for me. I'm not a huge recruiting guy, but I trust Norm to get the guys he wants.

The fact coco's son isn't one of them is unfortunate.
            BS UMass Lowell 2015
            PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

And the idea of questioning any kid on the team's commitment to Lowell based on absolutely nothing and stating it as fact is on a whole different level of immature.

Anyways, I'll go back to just lurking, but wow.
              BS UMass Lowell 2015
              PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Originally posted by coco7 View Post
                I agree with this statement. We have had some amazingly talented players but if the chemistry isn't right or they are aware of how amazing they think they are it is toxic.

Comment

Nice "getting to know you" article about Chris Forney, where he has a couple of good comments on his time here.
                  Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                  2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                  2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by TheRevengeance View Post
                    I could be wrong, but I don't think he was saying Lowell should only recruit local. But I'm speaking for coco in an argument I don't really want anything to do with!

About this topic though, interesting note by Jeff Cox this weekend as UMass has been heavily hitting Minnesota recently for recruiting. He noted (as have I many times here) that the local kids mostly want to go to the Beanpot schools, and that hurts us quite a bit as well.
                    Monty

2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                    2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

I'm looking forward to getting back to hockey after a week off. Hopefully the time off allowed the Hawks to get healthy and we'll see Kenny H. back in the line up. Any more updates on Reid Stefanson? I would imagine he's getting close to seeing his first action of the year.

First up a 5-6-1 RPI team that split with the Hawks last year. The Hawks need to take care of business on Friday before meeting #7 Penn State on Saturday. The Hawks have a chance to make a statement this weekend. No time for anything less than 60 solid minutes of hockey each night. Please no turkey hangover.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
                        And the idea of questioning any kid on the team's commitment to Lowell based on absolutely nothing and stating it as fact is on a whole different level of immature.

Anyways, I'll go back to just lurking, but wow.
                        I don't have kids and no one is questioning any kids commitment. Simply looking at the trends. Was in reply to diminishing fans and overall attendance # decline from another UML fan. Simple observation and not specific to college... mentioned NHL players playing better at 'home' in front of 'local' fans and family. Local fans like to root for local players, every sport. Doesn't mean they don't root for players from out of area also. Wasn't directed at players. Wasn't saying don't recruit from out of area. Wasn't saying kids from out of area aren't better than kids in or doing any comparison. Just an observation but wow.

Comment

CHN article about Matt Brown.
                          Monty

Comment

Anybody else see the "auction" for replica 1979 jerseys with name and number?

Looks like it's just a short run order... I wouldnt even know what to put on the jersey without it being an obvious jersey foul.

https://***********/OT_Sports_Unis/status/1199416314005196801?s=19
                            BS UML '04, PhD UConn '09

Jerseys I would like to have:
                            Skating Friar Jersey
                            AIC Yellowjacket Jersey w/ Yellowjacket logo on front
                            UAF Jersey w/ Polar Bear on Front
                            Army Black Knight logo jersey

NCAA Men's Division 1 Simulation Primer

Comment

It's good to see that NESN will be picking up the Friendship Four games again this year. Friday morning hockey with UNH and NU at 10:00 am followed by Princeton and Colgate at 2:00 pm. The Saturday games will be at the same times.

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                                It's good to see that NESN will be picking up the Friendship Four games again this year. Friday morning hockey with UNH and NU at 10:00 am followed by Princeton and Colgate at 2:00 pm. The Saturday games will be at the same times.
                                Nu loves going to this tourney

Comment

Working...
                                X